collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU adding Lacrosse  (Read 21868 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: MU will field Men's and Woman's Lacrosse Varsity in 2013!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
Who's the best recruiting assistant of the midwest for men's lax?  That's who Cottingham will hire. 

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »
Awesome. Always good to see MU become competitive at the National Level in more sports. We're gonna take down Johns Hopkins and Duke!
one step closer to adding football

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »
Time to make some recruiting trips to upstate NY/Long island & the DC area.  Being from Rochester I can pledge few areas outside of those above can offer the talent we will need to compete against Syracuse and other national programs.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: MU-LAX
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »
Rewriting history? It was a huge scandal. No one will remember how they got screwed by the school and the AG compared to all the allegations, trials, claims, accusations, etc that became the focus for the media for months.

I disagree, I think MOST people remember how they got screwed and were steamrolled by the University, the Professors (with their ad that pronounced them guilty before they even had a trial), and the subsequent ousting of a rogue DA.

Most people see it as a complete screwing of the team by the media, Academia, etc who were quick to judge.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: MU adding Lacrosse
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »
USC women just added a program as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »
Time to make some recruiting trips to upstate NY/Long island & the DC area.  Being from Rochester I can pledge few areas outside of those above can offer the talent we will need to compete against Syracuse and other national programs.

Agree, though it's become quite the sport out here on the west coast as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »

I'll be sure to come and check out your office floor the next visit into LA.

Next time we have a Programmers Fair come on out.  All the programmers from HBO, Starz to ESPN, Hustler, Penthouse, Playboy, etc are here and we get to rub elbows for a few hours.  Typically they send "talent" to those fairs so we can get photos, etc with them.  It's rather entertaining, especially for a company that is mostly engineers...watching those guys with Miss July Penthouse Pet and taking a photo with her....well, you would think they won the lottery.  LOL

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 07:27:33 PM »
I will plead ignorance on the quality of lax recruits out west, however per capita it is hard to beat the state of New York. 

NDLaxer76

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
There are a number of Cali men playing D1, along with a few from Texas.  (Ignoring his personal problems, Will Yeatman was a prolific attackman for the Irish before he withdrew and went to Maryland - under Cottle.) On the womens side, lots of new recruits are from Tex, Cali, Colo and now Fla.  Insofar as coaches are concerned, Cottingham should travel 2.2 hours SE and stop off in the Bend and talk shop with Notre Dame Assistant Gerry Byrne, who is from Levittown on Strong Island.  Byrnsie is also the defensive coordinator for the Irish and is responsible for their performance the last few years.  Byrnsie, at Notre Dame, obviously has the experience at a Catholic institution and a Big East member.  There are a number of former Northwestrn playesr that would make highly capable assitant coaches for the womens team.  Marquette already has a high profile in the Northeast esp in the New York, so recruiting could be a bit easier than at Michigan if they were to add lax.   Think of it: new program in the Big East with ND, Cuse and Gtown, and playing time wide, wide, wide open. 

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
I am sure all of the financial aspects of this are being figured out, but adding these two sports will cost close to 2 million dollars a year when figuring in the total costs of scholarships, coaches, travel and equipment.  That is a lot of added buget money to a smaller athletic department with no football revenue and some sports already not being fully funded.  Also, there will be a need for two new locker rooms and coaches offices, which the Marquette Gym and Al McGuire center do not have extra space for.  The training rooms and academic support facilities will need to be able to accommodate another 70 or more athletes, which the current facilities do not have the extra room for or the staff.  So finding space for these teams will also cost quite a bit of upfront money.  

With all of that said, this has to be about keeping the Big East happy, because financially it doesn't make sense for the athletic department to add over a million dollars a year to its budget in addition to the upfront costs.  However, if Marquette had to leave the Big East it would ultimately cost the University far more in lost revenue and prestige.  So despite not knowing the exact reasoning for this, it looks like this is a good proactive move to help ensure our future in the Big East.  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:12:15 PM by Stone Cold »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »
Who's the best recruiting assistant of the midwest for men's lax?  That's who Cottingham will hire. 

The process is flawed!!!!!!!

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
I disagree, I think MOST people remember how they got screwed and were steamrolled by the University, the Professors (with their ad that pronounced them guilty before they even had a trial), and the subsequent ousting of a rogue DA.

Most people see it as a complete screwing of the team by the media, Academia, etc who were quick to judge.

How much media time was devoted to their innocence? How much media time was devoted to details from the party? Most people dont watch enough news to see both, and most people still assume those kids had a level of dirt still on them, specifically because of all the dirty details that came out that were not proven to be false. That program was run through the mud too long and too deep to think it came out clean in the public's eyes.

No matter what, their proven innocence will not be the scandal people will remember. Oh they will remember that they were proven innocent and the DA was a crazy douche, but they will also remember the dirt uncovered and what goes on at the Duke Lacrosse house. And of course it does not help that it took place at an easily hateable university, and one that easily plays into the rich affluent spoiled white kids getting away with what they want stereotype.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
The process is flawed!!!!!!!

did michelangelo go through a process to get permission to paint the sistine chapel.  No he didn't.

he just showed up with a paint brush and started painting that biatch. 

zffb check your inbox.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »
How much media time was devoted to their innocence? How much media time was devoted to details from the party? Most people dont watch enough news to see both, and most people still assume those kids had a level of dirt still on them, specifically because of all the dirty details that came out that were not proven to be false. That program was run through the mud too long and too deep to think it came out clean in the public's eyes.

No matter what, their proven innocence will not be the scandal people will remember. Oh they will remember that they were proven innocent and the DA was a crazy douche, but they will also remember the dirt uncovered and what goes on at the Duke Lacrosse house. And of course it does not help that it took place at an easily hateable university, and one that easily plays into the rich affluent spoiled white kids getting away with what they want stereotype.

If ordering a  stripper for your house party is wrong,  then I don't want to be right. 

Fun night, though her hoo haa smelled like it had been drug through a sewer. 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:19 PM »
Marquette Lacrosse already had its own scandal a couple of years ago. Something about hazing and making members wear thongs and what not. Club lacrosse was actually kicked off campus for a year. Actually if you google Marquette Lacrosse and images one of the first things that comes up is this

The kid in the green thong was my roommate for 2 years haha.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2010, 10:05:06 PM »
That looks like one big bowl of gay.

i think your roomie's got wood. 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
That looks like one big bowl of gay.

i think your roomie's got wood. 

Oh it was incredibly gay... I'm in no way condeing this.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
Marquette adds Men's and Women's lacrosse
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 10:56:38 PM »
Not sure if anyone posted this yet.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/112044539.html

Marquette University will add both men's and women's lacrosse as varsity sports beginning in spring 2013, the school announced Thursday.

MU will compete as an independent in 2012-'13 and then join the Big East Conference beginning in the 2013-'14 season. The school will hire coaches in advance of the 2011-'12 season.

"Lacrosse is a thrilling sport, loved by fans and participants and a natural fit for Marquette," athletic director Steve Cottingham said in a release. "The national growth of lacrosse and Marquette's membership in the Big East make this exactly the right time for us to move forward with lacrosse as a varsity sport at Marquette. We are confident we can build programs that compete successfully at the national level."

The addition of lacrosse will bring the number of varsity programs at MU to 16, with eight each for men and women.

Both teams will be fully funded with the maximum number of scholarships and coaches allowed by the NCAA. The average roster size for a Division I women's lacrosse team is 25.5 student-athletes compared with 44.8 individuals on the men's side, according to MU.

There are currently nine Big East schools that sponsor women's lacrosse: Cincinnati, Connecticut, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse and Villanova. Loyola-Maryland is an associate member of the conference, competing in women's lacrosse only.

Men's lacrosse was added to the Big East in 2010, increasing the league's number of sponsored sports to 24. Seven schools in the Big East currently field varsity men's teams: Georgetown, Notre Dame, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's, Syracuse and Villanova.

"The addition of men's and women's lacrosse reflects Marquette's continuing commitment to a broad and successful athletics program, something that has been evident to all of us since the school began competing in the Big East Conference in 2005," said John Marinatto, Big East commissioner.

MU has retained former Loyola-Maryland and Maryland head coach Dave Cottle as a consultant. Cottle's teams made a combined 22 NCAA tournament appearances, including five in the semifinals, in his tenure as a collegiate head coach.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:04:02 PM by zrjones13 »

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
Why do men's teams average around 50 members and women's only 30?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2010, 11:39:54 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2010, 11:42:13 PM »

We'll agree to disagree.  Most people I know saw it as another elitist rush to judgment lynching by academia and the media that couldn't wait to bury a bunch of white rich kids. They WANTED her story to be true to fit their political agenda.  Too bad it didn't work out for them or the corrupt DA trying to gain political favor for a reelection bid.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:56:34 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

flash

• Team Captain
Re: Marquette adds Men's and Women's lacrosse
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2010, 11:45:07 PM »
Good for MU.  I'm not a big lacrosse fan, but I think its a good addition to our school.  I'd rather have a football team but i guess lacrosse is a nice consolation prize.

groove

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »
Agree, though it's become quite the sport out here on the west coast as well.

big time in north carolina area too

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2010, 07:05:28 AM »
Spoke with a friend of mine who is a HS lacrosse coach (and MU alum) in the Twin Cities yesterday.  He said that the sports is growing very quickly in the Chicago and Cities areas, but that right now the quality of player doesn't match the east coast...yet.  Give the youth programs another 8-10 years and it might be another story.  At that time, MU might be in a sweet spot with an established program in the midwest.  He's pretty excited about it.