Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson to Marquette  (Read 59901 times)

Sharpie

• Team Captain
Re: Derrick Wilson to Marquette
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
I don't think this says anything about JC. It's about about adding depth to the backcourt. You certainly can't have only one person bring the ball up the entire game. I am very pleased by this commitment and think that having three solid point guards is a smart thing. Look at injuries in years past where we relied on guy and got burnt because we had no quality backups. I think that everyone questioning each and every recruit is g to continue due to Buzz recruiting high quality player after high quality player. I can't remember us arguing about where to find playing time for each player like te board has this year. That's a good problem to have in my eyes.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 07:25:02 AM »
Buzz seems to have no problem playing 2 PGs at a time.  With Wilson (from ESPN) being a hard nosed get to the basket 'PG' that can take care of the ball, I'm not sure we wouldn't be seeing lineups with a PG, a combo guard and a true 2 with a couple of athletic wings out there.

I still don't see a huge deal about recruiting big men.  I'd take a couple 6'7" long wings any day :)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 07:29:04 AM »
This summer’s Gauchos squad featured a number of highly talented perimeter players, who all needed the ball in their hands to be effective.  Wilson stepped up and played out of position, often times matching up with opposing frontcourt players, to do whatever was necessary to help his team win games.

“We had a team full of guards and no one wanted to play inside,” he said.  “I took that responsibility.  I think that’s what college coaches look for is someone who will do whatever it takes to win games.”

While Wilson undoubtedly helped his team win games, his sacrifice came at a deep personal cost as many criticized his lack of point production throughout the month.

Sounds like a perfect fit for Buzz and MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 07:30:29 AM »
Am I being unfair in having an initial reaction that wonders if the combination of starting Buycks at the point Saturday and signing Wilson might somehow be an indicator that Buzz is concerned that Junior might not be the anchor point guard for the next 3 years? I hope it is unfounded, but it really was my first thought at the news.

All these reports say he's currently plays point, but doesn't really have a PG mentality...he's more of a two guard with good ball handling skills.  You can run him in the same backcourt as JC...or Reggie...or Blue...or whomever.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 07:33:33 AM »
I am guessing (hoping) we bank the last one since its late in the process and there are not that many high quality guys remaining

I'm thinking a JUCO forward.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 07:39:40 AM »

All these reports say he's currently plays point, but doesn't really have a PG mentality...he's more of a two guard with good ball handling skills.  You can run him in the same backcourt as JC...or Reggie...or Blue...or whomever.

Sounds like Cubillan
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »
sounds like Zack McCall, esp with the Syracuse conection

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »
Sounds like Cubillan

Maybe a bigger version.  I think the Sherron Collins comparison is a good one...and I'm not saying he's got Collins' talent.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 08:03:38 AM »
With his football pedigree, he sounds like Tony Miller...I'd take that!

(I had to jump on the "he sounds like" train.)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »
It sounds like a good pick-up for Marquette. He shouldn't play to much in his freshmen season and learn from the others and be a force in his final two seasons.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »
Am I being unfair in having an initial reaction that wonders if the combination of starting Buycks at the point Saturday and signing Wilson might somehow be an indicator that Buzz is concerned that Junior might not be the anchor point guard for the next 3 years? I hope it is unfounded, but it really was my first thought at the news.

Yes, you are being unfair. Having 3 point guards on a roster is an ideal number and basically they each will be from different classes when he arrives (Cadougan-Jr, Smith - So, Wilson - Fr). Its about depth. We need about three PGs, three big men (Otule, Gardner right now...maybe EWill?) and the other 7 can be what Buzz calls "switchables."

Solid pick-up and reminds me a lot of Sherron Collins, who's biggest asset was his leadership and toughness, not pure skill or athleticism. 
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
My thought was he was hiding Cadougan, so Wilson would commit to MU. :D

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »
I would be shocked if Buzz was not playing Jr too much because he wanted to get Wilson to commit. I also don't think that Cuse was recruiting him at this point.  I think that was back after his Soph season when he was rated higher nationally. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
sounds like Zack McCall, esp with the Syracuse conection
Why--does he puff the weed like McCall did?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
Yes, you are being unfair. Having 3 point guards on a roster is an ideal number and basically they each will be from different classes when he arrives (Cadougan-Jr, Smith - So, Wilson - Fr). Its about depth. We need about three PGs, three big men (Otule, Gardner right now...maybe EWill?) and the other 7 can be what Buzz calls "switchables."

Solid pick-up and reminds me a lot of Sherron Collins, who's biggest asset was his leadership and toughness, not pure skill or athleticism. 

+1 - Excellent analysis.  Buzz has said at one point he would like to recruit 1 PG in every class.  Clearly this kid has VERY good character and it would be highly unlikely he would grow disgruntled not seeing much PT his freshman and sophomor years...but...by the time he's a junior..he'll be fully ready to go, Big East ready.  What many of us as MU fans lack is an understanding of how to build a roster for long term success - due to our past 30 years of recruiting rarely ever netting more than 5-7 high major players on the roster simulatneously.  This kid definitely fits the culture of MU and Buzz and having solid point guard play is the first step toward ensuring success.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »
Physically and game description are between Collins and Cubillan like others have pointed out. Effort and luck will determine the impact. With the team make-up right now, you'd like to see a pure PG or a pure shooter but perhaps the thought is gather your acorns and see which one is a nut.

It also shows that the excuses brought up by fans regarding recruiting hold no water. We are stacked at the 1 and 2 and yet we get a commit on that side of the squiggly line. Let's not get lazy and claim we missed on certain other guys because we had too much talent at their position(s). You get what you can.

Playing with the Gauchos is nothing to sneer at. It takes talent to run on that crew and I'd imagine Wilson is the kind of a kid who has a deep motor. Welcome to the family, Mr. Wilson (#2).

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
Physically and game description are between Collins and Cubillan like others have pointed out. Effort and luck will determine the impact. With the team make-up right now, you'd like to see a pure PG or a pure shooter but perhaps the thought is gather your acorns and see which one is a nut.

It also shows that the excuses brought up by fans regarding recruiting hold no water. We are stacked at the 1 and 2 and yet we get a commit on that side of the squiggly line. Let's not get lazy and claim we missed on certain other guys because we had too much talent at their position(s). You get what you can.

Playing with the Gauchos is nothing to sneer at. It takes talent to run on that crew and I'd imagine Wilson is the kind of a kid who has a deep motor. Welcome to the family, Mr. Wilson (#2).

Good points Lanche...though I will say that the true PG competition next year likely will center around Cadougan and Smith with Wilson being the 3rd.  Competition for wing slots 2,3,4 positions next year will include, Blue, DJO, Jones, Jamil Wilson, Juan Anderson, and Erik Williams - basically that is 6 players for 2.5 slots...alread about 3 dep at each position 2, 3 and 4..with kids who are virtually all consensus Top 100 talents.

Shaw was the clear "misss" that you couldn't attribute to "too much competition" at his slot...but I do think that Hood, Faust and Harrison all were going to be tough to land given where they chose to play and the availability of clear, immediate plaaying time at those schools at their position.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »

Buzz has said in the past he would like to recruit a 1 and a 5 in every single class.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Why--does he puff the weed like McCall did?

Marquette has a long and proud tradition of Point Guard Herbsmen - Marcus Sparkus, Lucky Lloyd, Sudden Sam, Peyote Zack, and the Hillcrest Bogarts of Roach Clip Jerel and Smokin Mo.   

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
Shaw was the clear "misss" that you couldn't attribute to "too much competition" at his slot...but I do think that Hood, Faust and Harrison all were going to be tough to land given where they chose to play and the availability of clear, immediate plaaying time at those schools at their position.

Do you truly think that too much competition turns top recruits away from MU? I don't think any high-major recruit looks at MU's roster for next year and thinks, "I can't compete with Vander Blue and Junior Cadougan! I'm picking a different school!" They're more than likely to think, "I'm better than those guys. I'll play right away." Honestly, if they don't have that mind-set, they're probably not going to see the floor much no matter where you choose to play.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 10:11:53 AM »
Hood, Faust and Shaw all picked the local public university.  Harrison is the only one that went somewhere else and publically stated that playing time was a reason.  Let's not go thinking that they didn't pick MU because we have too much talent.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Let's not go thinking that they didn't pick MU because we have too much talent.

What happened with Marquette's recruiting in the immediate aftermath of the Final Four? Death Valley was more lush.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »
Do you truly think that too much competition turns top recruits away from MU? I don't think any high-major recruit looks at MU's roster for next year and thinks, "I can't compete with Vander Blue and Junior Cadougan! I'm picking a different school!" They're more than likely to think, "I'm better than those guys. I'll play right away." Honestly, if they don't have that mind-set, they're probably not going to see the floor much no matter where you choose to play.

If they are that good, they are being recruited by North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Michigan St. the marque programs that they can expect to play in the final four with. Blue has been our highest ranked recruit in a long time and it does not look like he is going to start. They may accept not starting as a freshmen, but they will expect to start after that. MU's team is very young, which means someone may not start for at least two years. That I see as a hindrance.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »
What happened with Marquette's recruiting in the immediate aftermath of the Final Four? Death Valley was more lush.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
Welcome 2 the Warrior den, Derrick!!!

feedback