[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 79Warrior
[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson to Marquette  (Read 59874 times)

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: Derrick Wilson to Marquette
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2010, 06:54:39 PM »
This crap has gotten ridiculous lately.  No Chicos is wrong no Ners is wrong no _____ is wrong.  Don't tell me to go read another thread because it is on almost every one.  This thread was about Derrick Wilson and his name has been mentioned twice in the past 30 some posts.  Even Dimes tried to make a post about the kids skillset and everyone just glossed over it in trying to prove who is right.  Can you guys just keep it to PMs instead of turning everything thread into a stupid debate about sh*t that 99% of the board doesn't care about.  Vander is at Marquette, fantastic.  I don't care whether it was Jmay, buzz, or the allure of the PicknSave of national that brought him here. Sorry, but man these debates make it hard to read Scoop some days.

Pick N Save on National always had like 5 frozen pizzas for 10 bucks...it was awesome.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
Pick N Save on National always had like 5 frozen pizzas for 10 bucks...it was awesome.

Sorry LLRj, but that post wasn't about Derrick Wilson. That's strike one. Two more and MU B2002 will e-yell at you.

Derrick Wilson will be a tremendous asset to MU. You can never have enough depth at PG.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
This crap has gotten ridiculous lately.  No Chicos is wrong no Ners is wrong no _____ is wrong.  Don't tell me to go read another thread because it is on almost every one.  This thread was about Derrick Wilson and his name has been mentioned twice in the past 30 some posts.  Even Dimes tried to make a post about the kids skillset and everyone just glossed over it in trying to prove who is right.  Can you guys just keep it to PMs instead of turning everything thread into a stupid debate about sh*t that 99% of the board doesn't care about.  Vander is at Marquette, fantastic.  I don't care whether it was Jmay, buzz, or the allure of the PicknSave of national that brought him here. Sorry, but man these debates make it hard to read Scoop some days.

I care about this debate.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
I am not trying to tell people what to post, but cmon you have to admit it gets a little out of hand.  But it is an internet message board, so I guess it is par for the course.  No more complaints from me.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »
I am not trying to tell people what to post, but cmon you have to admit it gets a little out of hand.  But it is an internet message board, so I guess it is par for the course.  No more complaints from me.

I agree with your original post 100%.  I just refrain from posting in these threads hoping they'll die on their now.

Instead the 4 or so people that are all equally jerk-faced continually follow each other around every thread spamming the board up.

I think MU_Hilltopper mentioned last year that he'd gladly ban any user for a fee (renewable on a monthly basis, of course).  It might be worth setting up a fun if all of this childishness doesn't disappear now that it's basketball season.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
I decided to post just to keep this thread alive, but to make my post relevant, Derrick Wilson backwards is Kcirred Nosliw.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »

You got that right, bro.  Who needs these drama queens, anyway.  I'm ready to put Ners on "Ignore" next.  If that doesn't work, I'll probably put MUScoop on "Ignore" and start hanging out at Dodds' place.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2010, 10:51:10 PM »
You got that right, bro.  Who needs these drama queens, anyway.  I'm ready to put Ners on "Ignore" next.  If that doesn't work, I'll probably put MUScoop on "Ignore" and start hanging out at Dodds' place.

You'll soon get banned over there like the rest of us.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2010, 11:37:01 PM »

By all means, please do.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure a lot of posters wouldn't mind you taking your bitch-fights with Chicos (although I agree with you a lot of the time) elsewhere. No need to turn away a poster when you are one of the board's biggest problems.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
Okay - Not surprised to hear you are short...

There you go lying again Ners.  You asked the same question over a year ago of me.  We all know why you asked it (your whole Napoleon Complex crap you tried last year)....why can't you just tell the truth...man up and admit it? 

What...cat got your tongue?

To top it off..you criticize Canadian Dimes for not admitting when he's wrong...Ironic.  Just man up..and say you were wrong.  End of issue.

I admit I'm wrong all the time on this board...did so twice yesterday....the Oregon basketball court as an example.  When I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  When I'm not wrong, I won't.

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
I'm surprised to see Derrick Wilson land in the Big East. He was highly touted as a Frosh/Soph then he dipped off the radar. I've seen him play in person as a junior and I was unimpressed. His Hotchkiss team is terrible and I do think that hurt him a bit but I didn't walk away impressed with him either. 

The things he'll offer is tough defense, he's seriously a wrecking ball, and he's a solid floor general. I think he would have made a much better defensive back or safety but thats just me.

Wilson was definitely a case of maturing faster the dominating early in his career. The rest of the world caught up to him and he's not so spectacular anymore. I was hoping Marquette would have landed someone better as I thought Wilson was more of a A-10 type player. Regardless they landed a nice kid and a good competitor so I do wish him the best of luck at Marquette (except when playing St. John's)

Was surfing through MUScoop for the annual matchup of MU vs St. John's. Checked out some of my old posts. I initially caught some slack on this evaluation. Was curious what were some opinions of Wilson 2 years later?
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
Was surfing through MUScoop for the annual matchup of MU vs St. John's. Checked out some of my old posts. I initially caught some slack on this evaluation. Was curious what were some opinions of Wilson 2 years later?

Jesus H Tap Dancing Chris, we are officially the most spoiled fanbase if we can dig up a 3 year thread to thump our chest about a yet to be proven true statement about our back-up point guard on a conference championship winning team?

Should we go back and discuss the less than ideal performance of one of the under secretaries of transportation appointed by FDR in 1942?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
Jesus H Tap Dancing Chris, we are officially the most spoiled fanbase if we can dig up a 3 year thread to thump our chest about a yet to be proven true statement about our back-up point guard on a conference championship winning team?

Should we go back and discuss the less than ideal performance of one of the under secretaries of transportation appointed by FDR in 1942?

Well, what's the Big (New) Deal with this?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »
He's a SJU fan who rarely visits.   Cut him some slack. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »

Well, in response to the A10 comment, I'd point out that when Marquette signed him, Derrick also had a schollie offer from Notre Dame, so Brey thought he was a Big East type of player, as well.  At one point this year, Buzz said that Derrick had outplayed Junior in practice to the point where Derrick should have been starting ahead of Junior, but Buzz just couldn't get himself to do it.  This very well could have been a motivational tactic by Buzz, but at the very least, Derrick must have been showing enough in practice to make the statement credible, or Buzz wouldn't have said it.

Last year we had a big road win at Wisconsin who at the time had a highly touted guy, Taylor at point guard.  Junior was suspended, so MU went most of the game with Derrick at PG, and I recall that he gave Taylor fits on defense.  There is no way that MU would have won that game without Derrick with Junior suspended.  so, for that reason alone, I'm glad that Buzz got him.  Getting him also allowed junior to have some decent competition in practice, and contributed to junior being a better player.

Derrick is probably as good of an example as one can get of a "Buzz type" player, three star talent with a five star mental makeup.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »
With that said, I hope that Duane is the starting Wilson next season.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »
Derrick might get the 3 minute start, get 3 more in the first half and maybe 3 more in the second, but if he plays more than that I would be pleasantly surprised by that and then disappointed with John Dawson and Duane Wilson.  Duane looks like the real deal, really a scorer with a scoring mentality and in college that is what you need.

Duane
Blue
Wilson
Taylor
Otule  (if not back, Gardner)

Johnson
Anderson
Derrick
McKay
Mayo

Burton
Dawson
Ferguson
Thomas

A lot of competition!

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Duane does look good - but to be a starting PG in Div 1 from day one is a miniscule proposition, especially with a returning PG with a good amount of experience.  Duane has been doing it against low division Wisconsin high schoolers...while we do break either him OR dawson at PG - I wouldn't expect much more than about 15 minutes combined out of those two (AT THE POINT, anyway)

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
Duane does look good - but to be a starting PG in Div 1 from day one is a miniscule proposition, especially with a returning PG with a good amount of experience.

It happens all the time. And, its not just one and done types either, two current Big East pgs that started from day one are Eric Atkins and Ryan Arcidiacono.

Yes, experience counts, but talent is talent. If Duane can hang on the defensive end, he'll start.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
Like I said Derrick will play some due to his experience, plays decent D, but it is like playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side.  Taylor only plays so much as he does not know how to play
D either.  If they pick up the system quick enough then the 2 frosh will get most of the time.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
He's a SJU fan who rarely visits.   Cut him some slack.  
You beat me to the punch.  There are some guys on this board that come across as know it all dbags.  
Some take offense to digging up an old thread.  What's wrong with visiting our thoughts and opinions in the past?  Before I post on a subject, I use the search bar to see if its a subject that has been covered before.  

I'd like to see more offensive ability from Derrick but to his credit,  there is little drop off from MUs performance when he's on the court.  A serviceable backup pg is something we could have used in many recent years.  He'll continue to grow as a player and we're very lucky to have him.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:52:52 PM by TomW1365 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
What's wrong with visiting our thoughts and opinions in the past?

Because it's a little embarrassing that I said this: "I think the Sherron Collins comparison is a good one"

feedback