Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I am concerned  (Read 18476 times)

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
I am concerned
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »
Call me a pessimist (its true), and I know I should have more faith in Buzz, but I can't see losing out on DeWitt, coupled with losing out on McDonald, as anything other than a major failure in a long line of attempts to land a quality big man. Maybe I shouldn't be so down, as DeWitt picked a program many levels below MU so maybe there were issues there or we lost interest in him, but this is still very upsetting. And if we really were going after him hard, and he picked a program like Southern Miss over us, then there is no positive way in the world to spin that. Failure any way you look at it.

Everyone can give the excuse that MU can't and won't land a good big man until they get one to the NBA, but how long are we supposed to wait for that? Gardner and Otule aren't going pro, and we have no bigs signed (maybe we get Shaw, but I don't get good vibes from that lately), so best case scenario is that we land a 2012 sleeper big who shocks everyone by developing and eventually goes pro in the 2016 NBA draft, then start getting good bigs in the next few classes? Are we really supposed to accept the big man situation at this program until then?? Will Buzz even be here then? I'm frustrated now. I love what I've seen from Gardner, but its tough to say we didn't kinda scrape the bottom of the barrel for him. I'm tired of being forced to find bigs that way.

And don't say "Buzz has this program in a good place", because the players he has brought in on the wings, as well as the ones he has tried but failed to bring in down low, are creating high expectations and frustration. I expect Buzz to take this program to a higher level than where we were during the 3 Amigos years, but I don't really see it with the players we currently have down low. Does anyone really expect the wings/guards we have now to be significantly better players than James, McNeal, Matthews, and Hayward? I don't. Maybe a bit better, but not enough to overcome the same shortcomings that plagued them.

Don't say "there are so few good big men out there". I see way too many 6'8+ guys signing for other, oftentimes lesser programs for me to accept that. There are plenty of good big men out there (and I don't necessarily mean 7foot true center bangers)

(By the way, I'm not saying DeWitt is an NBA player or the saving grace for our problems down low, I am just pissed and venting. Ok, end of rant.)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: I am concerned
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »
Did you ever see DeWitt play?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
good grief.......get a grip man.

The season is about to start....try to enjoy it.

ps. You're a pessimist.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:17:39 PM by MuMark »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:44:05 PM »
Seriously, there has been no evidence that we were even involved with Dewitt this time around.  The only place we've even been mentioned with him is on this board where someone pulled it from god knows where.  You can't lose something you weren't really going after.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
I agree.  There is no reason to be negative.  Marquette has recruited a highly talented group of players that are longer than the past teams.  Marquette has had plenty of big men throughout the years.  Otule and Gardner may prove to be good big men.  Our guards and wings are taller than most teams this year.  Now is the time to be excited and get ready to enjoy a great year of highly competitive basketball.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »
Did you ever see DeWitt play?

No.

Not the issue, or my main point. If anyone has anything substantive to say that proves my concerns about our lack of quality down low wrong, lets hear it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
Good grief, let's try to represent and not act like Crean's still recruiting here.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »
Since you disqualify so many positive arguements that may cheer you up, what positive arguement is ok to make?  Just wanna know before I post my thoughts.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »
I am excited about this year and the ones after it. I am thrilled about the way Buzz has built this roster up for the most part. I am a true believer in Buzz and think he is the exact right man for the job.

But that doesn't change the fact that in 3 classes (ok, 2.5) Buzz has not found an answer to the problem that has plagued this program since the Final 4.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »
Seriously, there has been no evidence that we were even involved with Dewitt this time around.  The only place we've even been mentioned with him is on this board where someone pulled it from god knows where.  You can't lose something you weren't really going after.

+1...Also, connect the dots and its not too hard to see why DeWitt committed to Southern Miss.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
Mark  - I like most of your posts, viewpoints and thoughts...but think you are going off that "big man at Marquette" ledge a like many.  I do believe that there are so FEW dominant, highly skilled big men, that landing one isn't essential - so long as you have a solid big man for defensive purposes if needed (which Otule can provide.)  In my opinion, a guy that is 6'7" and very athletic, who can pass, dribble and shoot..can create a ton of match up problems for teams with more "size" (and has more value than a 1-dimensional kid who is 6'10")  So long as our PG and SG aren't midgets..we can compete, and compete well..NOW THAT WE FINALLY  HAVE DEPTH THAT GOES ABOUT 10 DEEP.  

I'm convinced that if we had just 2 more solid tweener/switchables like a Jamil Wilson/Jamail Jones last year...we definitely would have beat:  FSU, WVU, NOVA, NC State, Georgetown in Big East tourney, and Washington.  We were THAT close to being a Sweet 16 team last year.  Zoubek at Duke wasn't a dominant big..nor was the Howard kid from Butler..WVU didn't have a traditonal "big," they were a team made up of 6'6"-6'8", rangy, athletic kids.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
 The sky is not falling, we have the deepest team I can remember having in a while. Additionally, you don't need a dominant big man to win a championship, Duke and Butler had serviceable bigs who could grab rebounds. All this negativity will stop the day the season begins.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
Besides, Chicos will try to convince you it's a guard's game.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 03:58:02 PM »
Guys,
I know losing DeWitt is not that huge of a deal. I never said that anywhere in my post, and I clearly stated that he was not the answer to our problems, just another notch in a trend I don't like.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
Here is the Scout list of centers.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=45&yr=2011

Play around with this a bit, and you will notice that the quickest drop to 3 star territory happens with the center position.  There simply aren't that many of them.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »
Guys,
I know losing DeWitt is not that huge of a deal. I never said that anywhere in my post, and I clearly stated that he was not the answer to our problems, just another notch in a trend I don't like.

How can it be a notch in a trend when there's no evidence that we were even recruiting the guy since he didn't qualify at Missouri?  

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 04:07:30 PM »

And don't say "Buzz has this program in a good place", because the players he has brought in on the wings, as well as the ones he has tried but failed to bring in down low, are creating high expectations and frustration. I expect Buzz to take this program to a higher level than where we were during the 3 Amigos years, but I don't really see it with the players we currently have down low. Does anyone really expect the wings/guards we have now to be significantly better players than James, McNeal, Matthews, and Hayward? I don't. Maybe a bit better, but not enough to overcome the same shortcomings that plagued them.

Depth-wise, yes. Are we bigger than we we were before? Yes. If this is the worst recruiting class we get under Buzz, then that's a pretty solid base (Juan Anderson is going to be very good). Good grief, can we go a week without someone freaking out? Season hasn't even started yet. You don't think if we have a very good season that recruiting won't improve even more? And I for one have high hopes for Otule this season.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Call me a pessimist...

You're a pessimist.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
I'm not worried.

So far, the coach and the staff have a good track record.

In fact, Buzz usually comes up with some guy we have never even heard of that turns out to be great.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »
Since you disqualify so many positive arguements that may cheer you up, what positive arguement is ok to make?  Just wanna know before I post my thoughts.

Not looking for cheering up, I was just venting. I think the "we won't get good ones until we get a big into the league" argument has a lot of merit and I don't disagree at all. I meant to get that across in my original post, and I never refuted that. I just don't feel like waiting until 2017 to start getting them.

"There are so few good bigs out there" is more of an excuse than anything else. Lesser programs get them all the time. And my point in regards to "Buzz has this program in a good place" was me explaining why I want a quality big so bad, not a disqualification of an argument. I just don't want the promise of this roster to be wasted because I am so excited about it.

Maybe you have an explanation, maybe there isn't one. Maybe you guys are satisfied with our big man situation.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »

In fact, Buzz usually comes up with some guy we have never even heard of that turns out to be great.

Really? Like who? Gardner, who has never played a game? Mbao?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 04:20:20 PM »
Thanks to BMA for debunking the DeWitt interest. I read about our alleged recruitment of him a few days ago, but hadn't heard a peep about us being involved with him for a couple years. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »

Your joking right, Jimmy F'in Butler, Crowder, Fulce has been a quality guy. Basically all of the JUCO players...I hate to say this but when Crean left Buzz had to fill the roster out and attempt to even it out class wise and he did an impressive job in doing so.

Did he swing and miss a couple times, yes, but the quality has outweighed the negativity when it comes to Buzz' recruiting thus far.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »

DJO!

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
good grief.......get a grip man.

The season is about to start....try to enjoy it.

ps. You're a pessimist.

Calm down, give Buzz the credit he deserves. MU will be just fine in the years 2 come