[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre retiring?  (Read 15839 times)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Favre retiring?
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:25:59 AM »
Brett Favre told Minnesota Vikings officials on Monday night that he will not play in the 2010 season, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune and Fox Sports reported.

Favre, 40, who has consistently said throughout the offseason that he was unsure if he'd play this season, is expected to make a public statement later today, the paper said.

The Vikings have not commented on Favre's status on Tuesday. Fox Sports reported that the Vikings hope Favre will change his mind. ESPN reported that Favre has been sending text messages to teammates in the past day.

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, did not respond to a message seeking comment from USA TODAY.

Favre had surgery on his left ankle in May, and he told USA TODAY last month that he just couldn't decide if his body would hold up to the stress of a 20th NFL season.

But Favre has been through this before. In 2008, he retired from the Green Bay Packers in March only to return in July and be traded to the New York Jets.

He then retired in early 2009, only to make a comeback for last season. He initially told the Vikings in late July 2009 that he would remain retired, but changed his mind by mid-August.

Vikings coach Brad Childress has said he's content to wait as long as possible for Favre, and believes he only needs 2-3 weeks of preparation for the season.

If Favre doesn't return, the Vikings will have to choose from between Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels for their starting QB. Neither has had consistent success as a starter in the NFL, and either would likely weaken the Vikings, who lost to the Saints in the NFC title game last year.

"It'll take a real bite out of the Minnesota Vikings' attack," ESPN analyst Jon Gruden said Tuesday on SportsCenter.

"It'll be a setback, no question."

-- Sean Leahy USA Today

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Favre retiring?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
Yawn. It's not news until the season is under way and Favre is sitting at home drinking beer and hunting varmint.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:36:18 AM »
Yawn. It's not news until the season is under way and Favre is sitting at home drinking beer and hunting varmint.

That is the reason for the question mark.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »
That is the reason for the question mark.

Sorry. I was addressing the writer of the article (and the media members who will fly off the handle), not the poster of the article.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
Sorry. I was addressing the writer of the article (and the media members who will fly off the handle), not the poster of the article.

No need to be sorry....question mark was more for the wishy washy QB.  Here is another article, local one.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/99841644.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU1yDEmP:QMDCinchO7DU

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
Would you retire if some team wants to throw 12 million at you. He'll be back by week 4.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:56:17 AM »
For Favre, like Newbill, it's official when the paperwork is in.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
Only this man can retire twice (so far) and yet have a consecutive games played streak intact.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:25 PM »
Time to make a little girl cry.....

"When my daughter cries it soften me up, and she said I wanted you to win one more superbowl," said Favre during a 5:30 p.m. press conference announcing his signing."

-------
The only positive that would come from the guy retiring is that it'll make the three-peat that much more sweet.  Plus, I'm a little sick of every single person in the world calling us the Consensus year in and year out... this may drop us into the 'they are an incredible team, they have a good shot.. but they are not the clear favorite as they were last year' category.  
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »
Who cares? The guy is a prima donna drama queen!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »

-------
The only positive that would come from the guy retiring is that it'll make the three-peat that much more sweet.  Plus, I'm a little sick of every single person in the world calling us the Consensus year in and year out... this may drop us into the 'they are an incredible team, they have a good shot.. but they are not the clear favorite as they were last year' category.  

What has any of that gotten your sorry franchise?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »

"When my daughter cries it soften me up, and she said I wanted you to win one more superbowl," said Favre during a 5:30 p.m. press conference announcing his signing."

-------

WELCOME BACK JAYBEE!  You were missed!  Sincerely!  Another good thing about his retirement for you Vikings fans is that your offense now won't end the season with an interception, as Favre's offense did for the past 3 years, all 3 times knocking his team out of the playoffs/playoff contention.

Brad Childress is crying for Brent to come back.  He will be back.  What's your guess on the date that he will be back with the Queens, Jay?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »
He doesn't want to put in the time in at training camp, or face his critics when the Vikings play the Saints in the Superdome in Week 1. Don't worry. He'll show up just in time to be ready to play against the Dolphins in Week 2.

None of it matters. They aren't going to win anything with or without him.

LON

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »

-------

You can have that and with another $82 you can take a Greyhound to Green Bay to see what a Lombardi trophy looks like...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »
You can have that and with another $82 you can take a Greyhound to Green Bay to see what a Lombardi trophy looks like...

HAHA!

Also, I would like to add my sincere thanks to Brent Favre.  Not only did he just tease the Viqueens fans last year and end their season for them SO CLOSE TO THAT FIRST LOMARDI TROPHY, but he also gave the Viqueens 6 more years of CHILLI!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:09:08 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 01:21:38 PM »
The stupidity in Vikings organization just continues to make me laugh

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »

Game over. Masterfully done.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
banking entire season on a 40 year old QB.... check

failing to acquire one of the the decent FA QB's (mcnabb/cambell).... check

failing to draft a QB of the future in the recent draft.... check

end of the viqueens little "dynasty" (as i've literally heard viking fans call the last two years)... priceless!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:11:03 PM by Curtis Loew »
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »
As a Minnesotan, I will tell you that even with the loss of Favre, the Vikings will be fine.

And by fine, I mean we'll win a bunch of games and lose in the playoffs, like we've done the last 27 years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
As a Minnesotan, I will tell you that even with the loss of Favre, the Vikings will be fine.

And by fine, I mean we'll win a bunch of games and lose in the playoffs, like we've done the last 27 years.

I can agree with that.  Although I think they'll win 9 games and just miss this year.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 09:13:16 PM »
What? Again!!!?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 08:22:29 AM »

but without Brent a stadium deal is still going to be hard to come by although since there wasn't one after last season another year with BF might not help either

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:27 AM »
He'll be back.  It's about money in an uncapped year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:51 AM »

They certainly still have a very good team but unlike in 2008, so do the Packers. In general the division has gotten better.  Detroit won't go 0-16.  The Bears look like an 8-8, 9-7 team.  There are no cake walks. 

The Vikings matching their 10 wins from '08 may be impossible just based on new competition.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback