[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre retiring?  (Read 15838 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Favre retiring?
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »

The text to Shiancoe(sic) was sent almost a month ago.  And stated that his ankle wasn't doing so well.

a month old text is not what set off this latest and, pathetically, annual firestorm.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »

I don't really have a problem with the star trib's article. They worked their sources and wrote the article. Fine. They didn't do a full special section in the paper reflecting on Favre's career which is essentially what ESPN ran with for 2 days.

ESPN held the retirement eulogy for BF all day long before anybody actually confirmed anything.

Ryan Longwell said he talks to Brett everyday. He said he hadn't heard anything about retirement. Conflict #1.

Childress said he hadn't heard from Favre. Conflict #2.

Ed Werder reports that Favre isn't retiring and that he'll play if the ankle is healthy. Conflict #3.

ESPN was so fast to run the retirement angle that they didn't bother to do any reporting until the following day (werder). Now their own guy has conflicting information.

Listen, I think Favre is an A-hole, a liar and a diva. No doubt. I'm not trying to apologize for the guy. Feel free to hate him.

But, ESPN and other outlets are really compounding this "problem" by reporting and speculating on everything before they actually have a story to run.

If ESPN put a small mention in sportscenter about the Trib article, let the story develop for 24 hours, then had the werder report, it would have been a nice piece of reporting. Instead, we were subjected to Favre-a-thon for 2 days, which really wasn't needed.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:59:29 AM by 2002MUalum »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
If you don't have a problem with the strib's article, why would you have a problem with espn pretty much repeating the contents of the strib's article?

What do you expect Longwell, Childress and other teammates to say?  They are not going to cause any more controversy than already exists, getting in hot water with management, and risk offending or negatively influencing Favre.

Ed Werder asked BF point blank if he sent the texts and his non-denial speaks volumes. Your characterization of Favre is right on, tho.

ESPN should have sat on the story and let it develop for a couple of days?  And have the country's premier sports news outlet be scooped by every other media outlet in the country? Not likely.  This is not the  media's fault.  Author, author.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
If you don't have a problem with the strib's article, why would you have a problem with espn pretty much repeating the contents of the strib's article?

The STrib clearly indicated they had not talked to any player that had said they were told by Favre that he was retiring. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »

What do you expect Longwell, Childress and other teammates to say?  They are not going to cause any more controversy than already exists, getting in hot water with management, and risk offending or negatively influencing Favre.

Ed Werder asked BF point blank if he sent the texts and his non-denial speaks volumes. Your characterization of Favre is right on, tho.

ESPN should have sat on the story and let it develop for a couple of days?  And have the country's premier sports news outlet be scooped by every other media outlet in the country? Not likely.  This is not the  media's fault.  Author, author.

Re-read my post.

There is a difference between reporting a developing story ("A Minneapolis paper is reporting that Brett Favre may be retiring") and holding a 2 day retirement marathon with dozens of different BF "top 10's", stories about his place in NFL history, videos, etc. Did you watch any of the ESPN networks the past 2 days? It was terrible. Seriously.

They basically held a funeral/eulogy for Favre before anybody at the hospital pronounce that he was dead. 

As far as him lying about the text messages, it looks like he is, but truthfully I have no idea with that guy. His ego is huge, which has allowed him to overcome a lot of stuff and be a tremendous football player. Unfortunately, it's that same ego that gets him in trouble off the field.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »
Did you watch any of the ESPN networks the past 2 days? It was terrible. Seriously.

They basically held a funeral/eulogy for Favre before anybody at the hospital pronounce that he was dead. 

So who's really the problem here? ESPN for putting that tripe on the air, or you for watching it?

I can honestly say I had no idea what ESPN was doing with it, because with the possible exceptions of college basketball and football, I find ESPN virtually unwatchable.

Favre has mastered the art of playing them and many other members of the media like a finely tuned instrument to get whatever message he wants out. How people still buy into the "aw shucks" routine is beyond me. There isn't any significant retirement/unretirement coverage out there that isn't being initiated directly from Hattisburg.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
So who's really the problem here? ESPN for putting that tripe on the air, or you for watching it?

I can honestly say I had no idea what ESPN was doing with it, because with the possible exceptions of college basketball and football, I find ESPN virtually unwatchable.

Favre has mastered the art of playing them and many other members of the media like a finely tuned instrument to get whatever message he wants out. How people still buy into the "aw shucks" routine is beyond me. There isn't any significant retirement/unretirement coverage out there that isn't being initiated directly from Hattisburg.

Not my choice to watch it.

Traveling for business. Hotel lobbies, hotel bars, etc.

I did put my ipod on after a while, but I had already seen enough.

Again, you guys can hate Favre all you want, but I think this is a 50/50 proposition. If major media outlets calmed down and reported facts and news, much of the "favre hype" would be gone.

"He's waiting to see if his ankle heals."

The story ends after that. It's easy. No hype. No nonsense.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
Re-read my post.

There is a difference between reporting a developing story ("A Minneapolis paper is reporting that Brett Favre may be retiring") and holding a 2 day retirement marathon with dozens of different BF "top 10's", stories about his place in NFL history, videos, etc. Did you watch any of the ESPN networks the past 2 days? It was terrible. Seriously.

As far as him lying about the text messages, it looks like he is, but truthfully I have no idea with that guy. His ego is huge, which has allowed him to overcome a lot of stuff and be a tremendous football player. Unfortunately, it's that same ego that gets him in trouble off the field.

The Trib reported that Favre texted teammates telling them that this was it and that he was retiring, not that he may retire.  Big diff.  All this flows from one source, Favre, and no one else is to blame for whatever happened after he texted but Favre.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
a month old text is not what set off this latest and, pathetically, annual firestorm.

How many years in a row is it that Favre has prompted a "will he or won't he" story?  I used to really like him.  I can't stand him any more because of this annual event.

On the ESPN issue, I recall last year hearing one of the radio guys (I don't remember who) saying that they run with the Favre story (i.e., beat the story into the ground) because they get huge ratings from it.  Everyone (including me) complains that they shouldn't devote so much time to Favre, but the ratings are good.  I've tired of it and try to avoid it, but they know the story is making them money.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »
The Trib reported that Favre texted teammates telling them that this was it and that he was retiring, not that he may retire.  Big diff.  All this flows from one source, Favre, and no one else is to blame for whatever happened after he texted but Favre.

Not a big difference.

A second hand text message (without the actual text) is shaky to run 48 hours of coverage on, don't you think?

Again, I'm not saying it's not worth a mention in the paper or on sportscenter, it just doesn't warrant the blanket coverage that it received.

I know ESPN does it for ratings, but I think it helps create the backlash that we are all experiencing. I'm favre'd out... but I have to be honest and say that a lot of that is because I can't get away from the coverage.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »
I guess i'd say that if you cannot agree that there is a big difference between stating that you've had it and are retiring and stating that you may retire, then we've come to a fork in the road.

Esp. in this case where all along no one knew if he would come back. Everyone was waiting for a definitive statement from him.  "I've had it and am retiring" is a bombshell statement and is news where stating "I may retire is not and is a simple restatement of the status quo which is not news.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
Tuesday morning when my alarm went off, I heard that Favre had texted some teammates to tell them he was retiring.  I wonder when Favre first heard that ESPN was running that story.  I'm guessing it was pretty early in the day Tuesday.  I wonder why he didn't immediately place a phone call to ESPN (I'm sure they'd take the call) and correct the record.  Could it possibly be that he likes them talking about it?  Just like he did last year?  And the year before that?  Oh, and the year before that?  What about the year before that?

Favre loves this crap.  It's become an annual late-summer tradition.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
I guess i'd say that if you cannot agree that there is a big difference between stating that you've had it and are retiring and stating that you may retire, then we've come to a fork in the road.

Esp. in this case where all along no one knew if he would come back. Everyone was waiting for a definitive statement from him.  "I've had it and am retiring" is a bombshell statement and is news where stating "I may retire is not and is a simple restatement of the status quo which is not news.

Yes, but where did that information come from? Shancoe? That's the exact quote? (I honestly haven't seen a verbatim quote).

Here is a quote right from the Trib article.

"Favre began informing select Vikings officials on Monday night, according to multiple NFL sources, that his left ankle wasn't responding to the surgery he underwent in late May and that he was going to announce his retirement in a press release Tuesday."

I just wish ESPN would wait for the presser before the 1000% hype took over.

As far as Brett calling ESPN, I guess I get that. But, at the same time, the guy doesn't owe anything to ESPN. F-them. If they want to run around like chickens every time Brett sneezes, then let them.

He only owes answers to his employer, not ESPN.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:24 PM »
Yes, but where did that information come from? Shancoe? That's the exact quote? (I honestly haven't seen a verbatim quote).

Here is a quote right from the Trib article.

"Favre began informing select Vikings officials on Monday night, according to multiple NFL sources, that his left ankle wasn't responding to the surgery he underwent in late May and that he was going to announce his retirement in a press release Tuesday."

Sounds pretty clear that if he texted team officials that he was going to announce his retirement then he was stating to them that he was  going to retire.  If multiple NFL sources heard from Vikings officials that he was going to retire and the story leaked to the media, that is not the media's fault.  If Favre does not text, there is no story.  He is the origination point and it all flows from him.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
If that story came from anyone besides Jenn Sterger I could believe it.

As someone who doesn't know the background on her, why?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
Sounds pretty clear that if he texted team officials that he was going to announce his retirement then he was stating to them that he was  going to retire.  If multiple NFL sources heard from Vikings officials that he was going to retire and the story leaked to the media, that is not the media's fault.  If Favre does not text, there is no story.  He is the origination point and it all flows from him.

Agree. I'm not saying that this whole thing should be ignored. Something started this storm. More than likely, something #4 said.

I'm simply talking volume of coverage.

ESPN is partially to blame for all of the hype because they ramp it up to 11 before anything definitive has happened.

I can't blame Brett because ESPN sucks and does hours and hours of programing about him.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »
As someone who doesn't know the background on her, why?

Her background is using her "goods" to become famous.  If you don't know anything about her, she was the original "front row girl" at Florida State football games. (I think)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:44:37 PM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »
in regards to well... anything, i dont think brett has all that much more credibility than Jenn Sterger.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
Agree. I'm not saying that this whole thing should be ignored. Something started this storm. More than likely, something #4 said.

I'm simply talking volume of coverage.

ESPN is partially to blame for all of the hype because they ramp it up to 11 before anything definitive has happened.

I can't blame Brett because ESPN sucks and does hours and hours of programing about him.

Don't know why you would take issue with the volume of coverage.  His announcing his retirement is a huge story and was covered (and still is) by many outlets.  

I always enjoy having the last word and recognize a kindred spirit in you, so, I'm done, but have at it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »

Don't know why you would take issue with the volume of coverage.  His announcing his retirement is a huge story and was covered (and still is) by many outlets.  

I always enjoy having the last word and recognize a kindred spirit in you, so, I'm done, but have at it.

No worries. We can agree to disagree.

In my mind a retirement announcement is a big deal... When it's an official announcement. Not via text to former teammates.

I know Brett's a diva and nuts. I'm just saying the ESPN drives me crazy with their unnecessary coverage of said diva.

...Back to your regularly schedule Favre bashing...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2010, 02:07:57 PM »
Reminiscing.

This makes for a somewhat amusing read in light of all that's gone on since.

Edited to add this nice timeline.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:16:19 PM by StillAWarrior »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2010, 04:12:28 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:32:38 AM by Homebrew101 »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »
First it was breathless,non-stop LeBron
Now Favre....  Please let NCAA basketball start soon

LON

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 07:27:14 AM »
in regards to well... anything, i dont think brett has all that much more credibility than Jenn Sterger.

Touche...

Sterger became famous for getting eye-banged by Brent Musberger on TV during a college football broadcast.  Then she did Playboy.  Then chronicled her "struggle" to remove breast plants.  Then very publicly hated-on Erin Andrews (I don't like her either but that isn't the point) and now this...

Someone wants to stay relevant...

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
Sterger became famous for getting eye-banged by Brent Musberger on TV during a college football broadcast. 

That was one of the creepiest moments in TV history.

feedback