[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre retiring?  (Read 15837 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Favre retiring?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:43 AM »
For something north of $1 mil./game, I think he can be enticed to dance around the backfield and not take too many hits.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:01 AM »
They certainly still have a very good team but unlike in 2008, so do the Packers. In general the division has gotten better.  Detroit won't go 0-16.  The Bears look like an 8-8, 9-7 team.  There are no cake walks. 

The Vikings matching their 10 wins from '08 may be impossible just based on new competition.

Agree with this entirely. As a Bears fan I believe this puts the Pack as the favorite to win the division, and I expect Detroit to surprise some teams this year. Detroit is probably a 6 or 7 win team this year.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 08:59:20 AM »

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
anything involving sex and water prof shoes is going to be creepy

reinko

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 09:57:49 AM »
anything involving sex and water prof shoes is going to be creepy

Croc -> another term for gator -> Florida Gators -> Erin Andrews -> Favre & Erin kissing in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.

LON

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »
http://deadspin.com/5603701/brett-favre-once-sent-me-cock-shots-not-a-love-story

No need to be patient any longer

If that story came from anyone besides Jenn Sterger I could believe it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
Favre won't even admit he sent the texts now, so who knows what the hell is going on.

I will believe he is retired when I see TJack take the final step from center in week 17 and good ole #4 hasn't come running out of the tunnel yet.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
Time to make a little girl cry.....

I meant make HIS little girl cry, not all of YOU little girls. 

http://www.startribune.com/local/99946539.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

Our guy says he hasn't decided - if the ankle is good, he'll play.  SKOL VIKINGS!!!  If Zigi needs some extra money to pay the man, I'll chip in a few bucks - L**d knows I made a few off you guys last season.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »
What a surprise. As I said, he'll be back, likley not until the Dolphins game. But with this latest charade, just like last year, he has put his ready made excuse in place if he has bad year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
What a surprise. As I said, he'll be back, likley not until the Dolphins game. But with this latest charade, just like last year, he has put his ready made excuse in place if he has bad year.

Oh yeah.. the old, "I'm almost 41 and have been playing in the NFL for about 20 years and have had multiple surgeries, including a third on my ankle a few months ago" excuse.  I bet he had Dr. Andrews operate this offseason just to setup his excuse.

When it comes to excuses, it's the 'former fans' of his that have the them all lined up. 

If Minnesota wasn't so damn good he would hang 'em up with no second thoughts.  But we are that great that we make 40-year old injury-riddled men (and women of all ages) want to play with us
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 02:24:10 PM »
Oh yeah.. the old, "I'm almost 41 and have been playing in the NFL for about 20 years and have had multiple surgeries, including a third on my ankle a few months ago" excuse.  

Exactly. If he comes back and stinks, everyone would understand why, which is why this BS dance he does is so stupid.

If that isn't what it is in you odd little football world, then what exactly was his motivation for yesterday's little show and today's 'correction.' (and yes, it was orchestrated by him, as any 'news' related to his retirement/unretirement is)? Obviously he has no interest in going to training camp, but again, he can just sit out and keep his mouth shut...no reason for these charades, unless he has other motives. Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:26:37 PM by NavinRJohnson »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »

Our guy says he hasn't decided - if the ankle is good, he'll play. 

I'm not exactly sure why this is news.  My assumption was that he was going to play unless he was too injured to do so.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »

I'm not exactly sure why this is news.  My assumption was that he was going to play unless he was too injured to do so.

You don't understand...he was just clearing up the retirement rumors from yesterday...that he started.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 02:59:12 PM »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 03:39:25 PM »
Nick Barnett's thoughts and comparisons.....

Barnett added (via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel): "We were going to do the same thing without him coming back or not. But do I believe it? I don't even know if I care enough to believe it or not to be honest. It's his career, he's got to do what he's got to do. But it doesn't change nothing for us. We're going to have the same goal whether it's Tarvaris, Jeffrey Dahmer or Norman Bates quarterbacking. We're still trying to do the same thing."

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »

Barnett added (via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel): "We were going to do the same thing without him coming back or not. But do I believe it? I don't even know if I care enough to believe it or not to be honest. It's his career, he's got to do what he's got to do. But it doesn't change nothing for us. We're going to have the same goal whether it's Tarvaris, Jeffrey Dahmer or Norman Bates quarterbacking. We're still trying to do the same thing."

I don't think that is a fair comparison to Dahmer or Bates.  They have accomplished a lot more than TJax.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
This off the field business is 50% Favre's fault and 50% media.

Let's face it, this wouldn't be so sickening if ESPN and it's various outlets didn't pound it into the ground.

Brett should also be more pro-active about his communication. If he said all off-season that he's going to "see how the ankle is in the fall", I think that could prevent the nonsense... and I don't think it's unreasonable for a 40 year old HOF QB to take a wait and see approach with his ankle. He earned that right by the career he has had, especially with the season he had last year.

Again, 50/50. He needs to communicate more clearly, and everybody needs to get off of the hype machine.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
He needs to communicate more clearly, and everybody needs to get off of the hype machine.

I don't think he could possibly put more thought into what he communicates, when, and how. He feeds the hype machine exactly what he wants to, and there is intent behind every aspect of it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
I don't think he could possibly put more thought into what he communicates, when, and how. He feeds the hype machine exactly what he wants to, and there is intent behind every aspect of it.

We'll agree to disagree.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »

I think Sadam Hussien was in there too.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:09 AM »
This off the field business is 50% Favre's fault and 50% media.

Let's face it, this wouldn't be so sickening if ESPN and it's various outlets didn't pound it into the ground.

Brett should also be more pro-active about his communication. If he said all off-season that he's going to "see how the ankle is in the fall", I think that could prevent the nonsense... and I don't think it's unreasonable for a 40 year old HOF QB to take a wait and see approach with his ankle. He earned that right by the career he has had, especially with the season he had last year.

Again, 50/50. He needs to communicate more clearly, and everybody needs to get off of the hype machine.

Agreed.  Espn has got to stop texting his teammates and telling them that he is retiring. It's the media's fault.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 06:57:57 AM »
Agreed.  Espn has got to stop texting his teammates and telling them that he is retiring. It's the media's fault.

Well, here's my problem with it:

Before anybody could fact check, cross check, or even just contact favre, they ran the story that he was retiring. It's a race to get the "scoop", not a race to present a solid story.

They ran BF stuff ALL DAY on Tuesday when there were contradictory reports. God forbid a news outlet actually do some reporting and talk to Brett before they run 24 hours of coverage.

Could they run a small blurb about it? Sure. Should they run 24 hours of coverage before anybody actually talks to Brett? Probably not.

50/50. Favre is a diva with a huge ego. ESPN (and other similar outlets) have turned into "infotainment" because they need "stories" for all of their programing.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:58 AM »
Well, here's my problem with it:

Before anybody could fact check, cross check, or even just contact favre, they ran the story that he was retiring. It's a race to get the "scoop", not a race to present a solid story.

They ran BF stuff ALL DAY on Tuesday when there were contradictory reports. God forbid a news outlet actually do some reporting and talk to Brett before they run 24 hours of coverage.

Could they run a small blurb about it? Sure. Should they run 24 hours of coverage before anybody actually talks to Brett? Probably not.
RESPONSE-
How do you know that it wasn't fact checked?  All these media outlets ran this story w/o checking to see if the texts in question were received? Doubtful.

On the contrary, I'd bet that before the star tribune ran the story they had talked with text recipients.  I think it's clear that BF sent "retirement" texts and now is backtracking.  In a less PC environment we'd call that lying.  What's that?  You say BF may have sent them, but they were ambiguous?  Against whom should ambiguities be construed?  I'd say, against the person who had every chance to be sure there were no ambiguities.  That would be Brett Farce!

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »

The text to Shiancoe(sic) was sent almost a month ago.  And stated that his ankle wasn't doing so well.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback