[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Your Religion?

Catholic
31 (41.9%)
Non-Practicing Catholic
8 (10.8%)
Other Christian (Protestant, Lutheran, etc.)
12 (16.2%)
Jewish
2 (2.7%)
Atheist
6 (8.1%)
Agnostic
10 (13.5%)
Islamic
1 (1.4%)
I believe in a supreme being of some sort
2 (2.7%)
Other
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Religion poll - Harris  (Read 33421 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Religion poll - Harris
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 09:15:10 AM »
Rather timely....NBC omits "Under God" in yesterday's Pledge of Allegiance vignette on their US Open broadcast.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/19/nbc-apologizes-for-omitting-under-god-from-pledge-during-us-open-broadcast/?test=latestnews

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »

Sure we will, unless you plan on living forever.  Either we die and it all goes black and that's it, or we die and something happens.  What's the 3rd option?

I think his point was that if it's option number one, we don't "find out" anything...we just die.

Not saying that's what I believe, but I'd have to agree that if it "all goes black" we won't "find out" anything.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 10:11:45 AM »
When my grandparents were growing up, kids did not have premarital sex.

They also got married when they were 17. 

Anyone here thinks we should be virgins until our late 20s, early 30s when people get married?
Our ages have consistently going up and it's not a coincidence that divorce rates, in first marriages, are lower.  Why waste the best sex years of your life?  When you meet an unmarried 27 year old, would the world be a better place if he/she never got laid over one where they knocked a couple boots?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
My all-time favorite South Park quote (rant):

"Maybe us Mormons do believe in crazy stories that make absolutely no sense, and maybe Joseph Smith did make it all up. But I have a great life and a great family, and I have the Book of Mormon to thank for that. The truth is, I don't care if Joseph Smith made it all up, because what the Church teaches now is loving your family, being nice and helping people. And even though people in this town might think that's stupid, I still choose to believe in it. All I ever did was try to be your friend, Stan, but you're so high and mighty you couldn't look past my religion and just be my friend back. You've got a lot of growing up to do, buddy. Suck my balls."

For someone who made his fortune off of pointing out how 99% of Americans are naive, hypocrites, or just plain dumb, Trey Parker actually has a lot of poignant thoughts when it comes to religion, some of which are revealed in his art, some of which he discusses in interviews.  It's worth a Google search if you have time, regardless of what you believe.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
They also got married when they were 17.  

Anyone here thinks we should be virgins until our late 20s, early 30s when people get married?
Our ages have consistently going up and it's not a coincidence that divorce rates, in first marriages, are lower.  Why waste the best sex years of your life?  When you meet an unmarried 27 year old, would the world be a better place if he/she never got laid over one where they knocked a couple boots?

When my grandparents were growing up, they didn't use teal.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
When my grandparents were growing up, they didn't use teal.

Another way society has improved.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 10:42:53 PM »
I think his point was that if it's option number one, we don't "find out" anything...we just die.

Not saying that's what I believe, but I'd have to agree that if it "all goes black" we won't "find out" anything.

This. And I think its more than just a semantic point too. It speaks to how we as living people cannot conceptualize not being some form of alive.  Its hard if not impossible for us to conceptualize nothingness.  There are some interesting theories relating this to advent of beliefs in the afterlife, etc.  I hate it when holier than thou atheists (pun intended) say that people believe in the afterlife because "they want to."  When you look at it from the perspective that people are arguably incapable of understanding there not being an afterlife, it could be argued we are predisposed to believing in something.  Then its up to individuals to decide whether or not they think thats the seed of some higher power or not.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 11:58:50 PM »

Yes.  That was my point.   

I can't say I necessarily have a "belief" for when that day comes.  However, I do believe I should enjoy the life I have, and treat others with respect.  If it so happens that I'm cognizant in "death", then I'll try to enjoy the death I have, and treat others with respect.  Unless I become a flesh eating zombie, then you all are screwed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »

Unless it doesn't actually go black... it would really suck if death simply meant you lose all physical function, but your mental capacity remained as long as your brain remained intact.  Imagine laying in the ground, unable to move or communicate, with only your thoughts, recollections, ideas for new inventions, second-guessing your choice of last words, etc... kind of explains why zombies are all insane.

If ever there was a case to be made for cremation or death by steamroller, that's good enough for me.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »

For someone who made his fortune off of pointing out how 99% of Americans are naive, hypocrites, or just plain dumb, Trey Parker actually has a lot of poignant thoughts when it comes to religion, some of which are revealed in his art, some of which he discusses in interviews.  It's worth a Google search if you have time, regardless of what you believe.

Agreed, and a lot of people would probably be surprised to read it.  Cause they've misinterpreted a call to be intelligent/inquisitve and understanding for atheism from him.  My favorite from one of the interviews, he basically says like it or not, there is alot that we, as humans, don't know or understand.  And then says "'Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 11:02:23 AM »
Agreed, and a lot of people would probably be surprised to read it.  Cause they've misinterpreted a call to be intelligent/inquisitve and understanding for atheism from him.  My favorite from one of the interviews, he basically says like it or not, there is alot that we, as humans, don't know or understand.  And then says "'Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever."

I think that everyone will agree that we, as humans, don't know much.

It's too bad the rest of his quote about why we're here clearly indicates that he has no idea about science or what Theory (capitol T) means in science.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
Agreed, and a lot of people would probably be surprised to read it.  Cause they've misinterpreted a call to be intelligent/inquisitve and understanding for atheism from him.  My favorite from one of the interviews, he basically says like it or not, there is alot that we, as humans, don't know or understand.  And then says "'Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever."

That is why atheists are silly.  I think that wisdom starts with knowing what you don't know.  Religious people & Atheists, look at what they don't know and fill that in with guesses.  
Perhaps we die and are gone.
Perhaps we die and are gone, but there still is a greater purpose.
We could die and have our consciousness join some conglomerate of pure energy, that is beyond our ability to understand.
We could remain our own being and travel the universe, or not, like a ghost.
Many people believe in being reborn.
Perhaps it is like Slaughter House 5 and we lose a sense of time and relive our own life in any order we choose.
Or we couldget split into groups based on the if we believe in a specific religion.

Similarly, Perhaps the creation of the universe was the death or birth of a supreme being rather than that existing already.  
The universe itself could be a living organism that is beyond our comprehension.
If a being of pure energy was created at the dawn of time does that mean it is worthy our worship?
My favorite idea about higher powers comes from "Small Gods".  Great book.

I don't know any of this.  And I don't make guesses.  That is why I'm agnostic.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:26 PM »
It makes atheists mad when you say it, but atheism is just another religion.  They're making similar leaps of faith with little actual information just like religious people are.  It's pretty funny when you think about it :)

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
Unless it doesn't actually go black... it would really suck if death simply meant you lose all physical function, but your mental capacity remained as long as your brain remained intact.  Imagine laying in the ground, unable to move or communicate, with only your thoughts, recollections, ideas for new inventions, second-guessing your choice of last words, etc... kind of explains why zombies are all insane.

If ever there was a case to be made for cremation or death by steamroller, that's good enough for me.

That must also be why they eat the brains of the living, so they aren't tormented with being dead with a functioning mental capacity

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »
That must also be why they eat the brains of the living, so they aren't tormented with being dead with a functioning mental capacity

And all this time, I never thought zombies were actually trying to help us out.  There must be a god after all!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »
Yes.  That was my point.   

I can't say I necessarily have a "belief" for when that day comes.  However, I do believe I should enjoy the life I have, and treat others with respect.  If it so happens that I'm cognizant in "death", then I'll try to enjoy the death I have, and treat others with respect.  Unless I become a flesh eating zombie, then you all are screwed.

so your 3rd option is to move to Madison....

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
so your 3rd option is to move to Madison....

Madison only allows one flesh-eating zombie at a time.  So either Rocky has to become a vegan zombie or wait for Bo Ryan to move on.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
I thought the zombies in Madison only came out during Special Olympics ceremonies in which the governor was honoring those Olympians.  Are they out more often than that?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2011, 01:43:54 PM »
Those posting on Zombies here were connected, at the same time, to the same Jungian non local consciousness that resulted in this Zombie sighting in KY:

http://weirdnews.aol.com/2011/06/24/zombie-warning-kentucky-_n_883737.html
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
Poll added, what the heck.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »
How often do posters have to get to church to keep off the nonpracticing list?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
I'd say .. if you're not going at least once a month = non-practicing.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »
Why is it only Catholics get to be "non-practicing"?

Can you be a non-practicing agnostic?  Or perhaps you should just add an option "I was baptized, so I'm pretty sure none of the other stuff matters".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »
Well, the reason is that Catholics have many physical obligations as part of their practice....attend mass, attend confession, etc.  So a non-practicing Catholic is someone who doesn't do those obligations, but still considers themselves Catholic.  I am a Lutheran and as such, really don't have similar obligations in the Catholic sense.  IOW, you can't be a non-practicing Lutheran if their are no obligations to practice.

feedback