collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Your Religion?

Catholic
31 (41.9%)
Non-Practicing Catholic
8 (10.8%)
Other Christian (Protestant, Lutheran, etc.)
12 (16.2%)
Jewish
2 (2.7%)
Atheist
6 (8.1%)
Agnostic
10 (13.5%)
Islamic
1 (1.4%)
I believe in a supreme being of some sort
2 (2.7%)
Other
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Religion poll - Harris  (Read 33422 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Religion poll - Harris
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

Ok, then Seinfeld and Sex and the City are the same, Pizza is the same as Lasagna, & Megan Fox is the same as Glenn Close. 

No you are exactly right, which is my point, we are are trying to argue about whether Seinfeld is better than Sex and the City.  People like and gravitate towards a different types of television entertainment.  There will never be a tv program that is universally loved nor will their be a universal religion.  One might even argue the sky wizard, understanding people's contrarian nature, guided multiple religious doctrines so that at the end of the day everyone or nearly everyone would get the same basic messaging.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
No you are exactly right, which is my point, we are are trying to argue about whether Seinfeld is better than Sex and the City.  ok, a perfectly legitimate discussion...People like and gravitate towards a different types of television entertainment.  People don't gravitate towards religion.  The vast majority just stay whith what they are born into.There will never be a tv program that is universally loved nor will their be a universal religion.  You can say that about anything.  Why not bring up how both Bibles and Korans are constructed out of atoms?  Then call it "the great irony."One might even argue the sky wizard, understanding people's contrarian nature, guided multiple religious doctrines so that at the end of the day everyone or nearly everyone would get the same basic messaging.Ones do argue that, they are called MyMom. 

I guess I don't understand what your point is.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
I guess I don't understand what your point is.

The point is all religions are delivering the same basic message in different packaging.  If everyone can just get over the packaging we'd all be better off.

I find it remarkable that all religions have the same features and similar stories but are formed in different places and different times.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
The point is all religions are delivering the same basic message in different packaging.  If everyone can just get over the packaging we'd all be better off.

I find it remarkable that all religions have the same features and similar stories but are formed in different places and different times.

Ok, but packaging matters to people, so we can't.

I don't think it's that remarkable.  First those similarities are overstated.  Second the amount of trade and Idea exchanges in the early days are underrated.  We all stared up at the same sky and exchanged ideas about it with passers by.  You couldn't even make up a religion that didn't match your boiled down points but you are surprised that none occurred naturally?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
The point is all religions are delivering the same basic message in different packaging.  If everyone can just get over the packaging we'd all be better off.

(Not wishing to be drawn into the mueng03 back and forth, but) ...

I agree with you...I find the millenia long deep differences between Christians, Muslims, and Jews to be ironic, given that all of them worship  the exact same God...the God of Abraham.

Islam breaks off with the eldest son of Abraham, Ishmael, whereas Judeo-Christian tracks the other son, Isaac. Talk about sibling rivalry leading to this--wow!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:39:31 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »

I don't think it's that remarkable.  First those similarities are overstated.  Second the amount of trade and Idea exchanges in the early days are underrated.  We all stared up at the same sky and exchanged ideas about it with passers by.  You couldn't even make up a religion that didn't match your boiled down points but you are surprised that none occurred naturally?

Actually, Scientology doesn't look anything like my points.  And that is definitely a made up religion ;)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »

I'll happily acknowledge the plausibility of a poncho-clad hippie forest goddess called Mother Nature when atheists acknowledge the plausibility of the a wizard.

"Animals eat other animals. It's nature."
"No, it's not. We taught a lion to eat tofu."
[Pan to scrawny, anemic lion]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
Actually, Scientology doesn't look anything like my points.  And that is definitely a made up religion ;)

Yeah, I'm not a high enough level to know what Scientology says about the creation of the universe.  I think if you apply that standard across the board it would toss out Yoga, Wicca, all polytheistic religions, and agnostics.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »
I'll happily acknowledge the plausibility of a poncho-clad hippie forest goddess called Mother Nature when atheists acknowledge the plausibility of the a wizard.

"Animals eat other animals. It's nature."
"No, it's not. We taught a lion to eat tofu."
[Pan to scrawny, anemic lion]
Some scholars think that all 'son of god' motifs come from a hippie forest goddess myth. 

I don't think atheists have much to apologize for, they are still one of our most distrusted subcultures. 
Polls show that 36% of people would be less likely to vote for a political candidate that was gay.  63% of the respondents said they would be negatively impacted by the candidate being an atheist. 

feedback