[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malcom Moore has MU in his final 4  (Read 34282 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Malcom Moore has MU in his final 4
« on: July 27, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
http://www.kcrg.com/sports/Malcolm-In-the-Middle-of-Big-Time-Recruiting-99345089.html

JUCO out of Texas.  Video included with the brief article.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Malcom Moore has MU in his final 4
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
He's got a good frame, is pretty agile/explosive in the post and looks to have a good touch. 

Would like him to have 2 more inches but it can be done at 6'6" (Dejuan Blair, etc.).

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:59:07 PM »
No thanks
Warrior in the class of 2011.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »
No thanks

I'll pass. I love what MU has been able to do with undersized bigmen over the years (and thats probably why they always seem to consider us), but as a program we need to move beyond this type of player. They have such a short ceiling compared to someone with proper height for their position.

It is very frustrating how we have still not landed a legit big-man recruit. I've been saying ever since I can remember "if we just had ONE legit big man, we'd really have something" I think the '11 class is where Buzz needs to show he can make it happen. We need 2 players standing 6'8 or above this year.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
I think he looks like he would play more of a 4-3 like butler @ MU.
with that said we have enough of those guys already and I agree we need to bring in some tall timber.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
I do not think we have a lot of talent at the 3-4 positions for 2011/2012. I have not seen Crowder yet, but he will be a senior. Eric Williams (junior) is improving, but he is no star as of now. Some are arguing that Gardner (sophomore) is a four, but he needs a lot more conditioning before that happens. We have Wilson (sophomore), but given he cannot play two games in a row at the pro am, I am beginning to wonder if he is soft. Jones (sophomore) has a great body, but wants to play outside. There is talent, but they all have short comings. As usual our strenth is at guard with DJO, Cadougan, Blue, Smith and Singleton.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
Yes, but we've had 3-guard lineups with two of them under 6-feet.  If we have 2 guards and 1 of them is. 6-4, 5-star, then I don't mind having a bunch of good 6-6 or 6-7 great players. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »
I thought our JUCO route was to balance the classes the first few years.  It seems we will continue to go the JUCO route indefinitely.  Not a fan. 

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
Yeah, it sucks getting the best JUCO player every year. Please stop exploiting a market inefficiency that brings wins and excitement to the Bradley Center! Oh the horror!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
I thought our JUCO route was to balance the classes the first few years.  It seems we will continue to go the JUCO route indefinitely.  Not a fan. 

I guess if one draws his self esteem from other's "perceptions" (no matter how flawed) there might be some cause for concern. I didn't worry about jucos under Al or TC (except that most of Crean's couldn't play) and I'm not worried now. Maybe some elitist snobs from, say, Madison.....but not me.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »
I will never understand this snobbish attitude.  These are for the most part good kids who needed some extra time to mature (aka get their s**t together).  What could possibly be wrong with giving them an oppotunity to make a better life for themselves?  In the end, isn't that what a college education at Marquette is supposed to be about?  It's certainly not supposed to be about judging people you've never met and don't know.

Enough with the condescending attitude already.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »
DJO, Fulce, Jimmy Butler and Buycks have proven to be the downfall of our fine program.

Why in the world wouldn't you want Buzz to keep recruiting jucos?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »

Who said it was to balance the classes?  Maybe it's to have a winning basketball team.  And honestly, as long as the kids aren't criminals and they represent MU well, lets win some basketball games.   Who cares
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
I will never understand this snobbish attitude.  These are for the most part good kids who needed some extra time to mature (aka get their s**t together).  What could possibly be wrong with giving them an oppotunity to make a better life for themselves?  In the end, isn't that what a college education at Marquette is supposed to be about?  It's certainly not supposed to be about judging people you've never met and don't know.

Enough with the condescending attitude already.

Well put, its annoying....I'm in the camp that wants the best talent regardless if they are outstanding students, if they qualify and can play then bring it. These guys would want MU to turn Wade away.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 09:59:39 PM »

Are you saying we shouldn't get guys like DJO and Jimmy Butler just because they were JUCOs? I'm a fan of getting whoever has the best talent. 

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »
I do not think we have a lot of talent at the 3-4 positions for 2011/2012. I have not seen Crowder yet, but he will be a senior. Eric Williams (junior) is improving, but he is no star as of now. Some are arguing that Gardner (sophomore) is a four, but he needs a lot more conditioning before that happens. We have Wilson (sophomore), but given he cannot play two games in a row at the pro am, I am beginning to wonder if he is soft. Jones (sophomore) has a great body, but wants to play outside. There is talent, but they all have short comings. As usual our strenth is at guard with DJO, Cadougan, Blue, Smith and Singleton.

Ok, so you name 5 guys, all of whom (except maybe Gardner) look to be really good players by '11-'12, and say this is a position of need? At the absolute most we will start 2 of these guys, and Jamil Wilson is a lock to be one of them. And isn't it a bit early to be calling Jamil soft, just because he sat out a meaningless game as a precautionary measure?

I see Wilson and Crowder as our forward starters in '11-'12, with EWill and Jones squarely in the mix, unless we can land a top-quality power forward in this year's class. For the record, I don't think the forward position is settled for the foreseeable future, I just don't think we need any more 6'6 combo-forwards.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 10:59:51 PM »
Are you saying we shouldn't get guys like DJO and Jimmy Butler just because they were JUCOs? I'm a fan of getting whoever has the best talent. 

Agreed. Buycks, Fulce, DJO, Butler, have been good players and citizens. I see no reason why Crowder will not follow.

As far as I'm concerned, Buzz has been 4/4 so far with the JUCOs who have joined the program. He knows enough people at that level that I trust his judgement.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »
Just so everyone is clear, we've had a bunch of really good JUCO transfers at Marquette.

Let's see now, Bob Lackey came from a Juco and he was wonderful. Held the team together after Jim Chones turned pro.

Jerome Whitehead, I believe, spent a year at Juco.

Sam Worthen, who ran the team for two years in the early Hank years also was a Juco.

Let's not bite the hand that feeds us.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »
On a different note, I heard from a few people that they don't think its a good idea if Buzz keeps bringing in JUCO kids. I honestly have no problem what so ever (like most of you) having these guys on the team because they're good athletes but more importantly good kids. I don't know where this "bad method" came from (grades?) but can anyone say they like/dislike it?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »

This statement appears to be an epic fail...as noted by many posters.  I tend to agree with them, and that we should use all avenues available for acquiring top talent, combined with good character - as thus far all of the JUCO's Buzz has brought in, have been.  Let's not stereotype.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 07:01:55 AM »
DJO, Fulce, Jimmy Butler and Buycks have proven to be the downfall of our fine program.

Why in the world wouldn't you want Buzz to keep recruiting jucos?
DJO and Butler are studs--not sold yet on Bucyks, and Fulce is only a role player.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »
Id rather have a 6'6" ish 3-4 and a legit big than another guard and a legit big in a recruiting class of 2 players.  If we got this guy or someone with similar size it doesn't mean that all hope is lost to land a center

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 07:44:46 AM »
We may have a distorted view about JUCO's.  Most are not 3 year players, like Butler, DJO, and Fulce.  That extra year is a definite plus in my eye.  We don't seem to have any team chemistry problems though going this route.  

Take Buycks for example - I think 1st team All American JUCO.  Very average 1st half of the year, non-starter, then gets injured, falls further behind, then sits most of the rest of the year.  Now, one year left to fulfill his potential and make his signing seem really worthwhile.  

You can only play 5 players.  I like the ones sitting to be underclassmen, so when they get to be juniors, they're full ingrained into what is expected from the coaches, they've adjusted to what it takes to be successful academically at MU, they take on a leadership attitude, and as such, they enhance the team chemistry from being around the program for so long.  

I'm not saying this is true in all situations, but a 2 year JUCO needs time to get aclimated to MU, develop a bond with teammates, and become settled in academically.  Too often, it seems they need a year to do this.  Then, there's one year left...

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »
  John Wooden was.  But not you, eh?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 07:50:05 AM »
Buzz has hit on most of his JUCO recruits in terms of character (not to mention most have had a lot of basketball talent).  

Lets be real though, JUCOs can be more risky as they couldn't cut it in high school for whatever reason but once they get to a stable environment at MU most have thrived thus far.

If Buzz starts recruiting more character misses like M. Clark and turns this into a Cincy type show then yes Cottingham should tell him to be more selective.  Until that happens I'm not ready to cut off the JUCO pipeline, in fact I get more pride in seeing these types of kids succeed academically at MU.