[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean 2011 in-state recruits  (Read 16150 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Crean 2011 in-state recruits
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »
I hate having to start with disclaimers justifying talking about Crean, but he was our old coach, he left MU because "It's Indiana" and he thought he could get better players.  We are related to this, and let's just check out the facts and see if he can get the better players that he thought he would get.  

Indiana's strength was supposedly attractiveness to instate recruits.  Here are the 2011 instate guys according to Rivals150, with their ranking and commitment if already made:

5-     Marquis Teague- Kentucky
25-   Branden Dawsen
35-   Cody Zeller
52-   Michael Chandler
91-   Ryan Taylor- Louisville
94-   Darwin Davis- Xavier
118- Jeremiah Davis

Four of them remain uncommitted.  Dawsen was supposed to be a Purdue lean, and I thought Chandler was a KY lean.  People have been waiting for him to get the in-state talent and people were being patient for Crean to get his program established and then get rolling with the 2011 and 2012 classes with lots of instate talent.  

Can he go 2/4 on these guys in the top 150? I would say probably due to playing time available but who knows.  He can obviously still get out of state kids, but these were supposed to be easier for him.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:05:17 PM by HoopsMalone »

mikem91288

• Team Captain
Re: Crean 2011 in-state recruits
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »
wow it would be rediculous to steal an Indiana recruit away from TC. I want Dawson real bad.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
Marshall Plumlee is from Muncie, IN but I guess moved out.  He is ranked 99 on Rivals, but comitted to Duke.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
How sweet it will be to steal Dawsen!  ;D
SS Marquette

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »
Zeller is suppose to be a unc lock as well.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
Yeah, he needs to start putting his money where his mouth is.  Listening to Indy sports talk last season, it was becoming obvious that local fans were already beginning to question Crean's ability to win there.  They weren't just losing last season, they were getting throttled!  I suspect if they have another bad season, the majority of the alumni will be calling for his head.  I give him 2 more years there, followed by a either a lesser D1 job or a car salesman for Saab. 

I'm grateful for what he did for us, but I hope he fails at Indiana!

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
He may be able to move the goal post to the 2012 class as there are a lot of in-state players in that class too.  A decent season this year and his ability to final sell his facilities might be enough for him to land 2012 guys, especially if that Zeller guy really goes to UNC.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
A mediocre recruiter combined with a program that's in shambles doesn't lend itself to top instate recruits playing for the home team. Couldn't happen to as more deserving prick.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
A mediocre recruiter combined with a program that's in shambles doesn't lend itself to top instate recruits playing for the home team. Couldn't happen to as more deserving prick.

We all know he was a band-aid to help lighten the NCAA's heavy hand.
SS Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »

If he worked as hard at IU as he did at MU for his 1st 4 years, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Pudgy, tan and lazy is no way to go through life.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:10:29 PM »
He's already got Austin Etherington as a verbal commit.

Kid's about 6'6" and can pop from the outside.  I watched him some in person last week (plays with Indiana Elite.. along with Zeller, Plumlee and J-Davis)... Crean was hanging out for most of their games in the gym as well.  Plumlee is overrated and gone to Duke... Zeller is an excellent player but don't think that's going to happen for TT.  Jeremiah Davis could wind up there, but he's not overly impressive.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »
Crean isn't getting recruits because of his personality. He's got ZERO charisma and complete absence of any kind of connection with high school players and, more than likely, players on IU who regret signing there. Even shaved head, pudgy odd-dressing Buzz has 10x the charisma of Crean. This is a guy who can hold up DWade as a former player and he still can't draw flies!!

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 03:10:12 PM »
Crean took us to a final 4, Got us in the Big East, recruited our greatest player in history and left a team the has won at least 22 games the last 2 years.  I like Buzz better, but cut the man some slack.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
Crean took us to a final 4, Got us in the Big East, recruited our greatest player in history and left a team the has won at least 22 games the last 2 years.  I like Buzz better, but cut the man some slack.

He's a complete and total a55h0le, so I will not cut him any slack.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »

Yawn

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
Crean should not need any slack.  It's year 3 at a top 10 program.  He has the top facilities now and has loads of talent in his backyard.  He also has an impressive resume and lots of playing time to sell.

The tone when he left was that he was going to better places and he would finally be able to land top talent, and probably go all the way.  He didn't list out concrete goals when he was hired, but I cannot imagine his plan was to be a significant underdog to recruit the last 3 or 4 recruits in his own state when there is lots of talent.  

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
Plumlee is not from Muncie...he is from Warsaw...same HS as Rick Fox and Jeff Grose.  Same HS as current major recruit Nic Moore, Warsaw played in the state title game this spring...they would have been awesome the last 4-5 years with his brothers and those guys around. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
Have to admit, I'm not really bothered either way. My only hope is he doesn't get Dawson because we're also pursuing him, but beyond that, I really don't see how the recruits at a (currently) bottom-feeding Big Ten school have any bearing remotely on Marquette or our upcoming season  :-\
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
Have to admit, I'm not really bothered either way. My only hope is he doesn't get Dawson because we're also pursuing him, but beyond that, I really don't see how the recruits at a (currently) bottom-feeding Big Ten school have any bearing remotely on Marquette or our upcoming season  :-\

The discussion is not about the recruits but Crean's downfall as a head coach in major D-I basketball. This is a topic relevant to Marquette that a lot a fans are interested in. Not every thread can tie directly to our upcoming season, especially in mid-July. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »
Wow, your man-love for TC grows by leaps and bounds every passing moment.  Get a life, dude.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 05:16:18 PM »
I had just got through saying to someone that the one thing MUScoop needs is another Crean thread....   ::)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
I had just got through saying to someone that the one thing MUScoop needs is another Crean thread....   ::)

Why don't we have a D1 football team? 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
The discussion is not about the recruits but Crean's downfall as a head coach in major D-I basketball. This is a topic relevant to Marquette that a lot a fans are interested in. Not every thread can tie directly to our upcoming season, especially in mid-July. 

No, I get that, it just feels like we've beaten this horse well beyond death. We're pretty much to the point where the horse is dead, the flesh is rotting away, and we still feel the need to grind the bones to make our bread. So Crean isn't doing well. Who cares? Do we constantly belabor Mike Deane's current career? Kevin O'Neill's? Crean's gone, Marquette is still doing well, just seems like it's about time we got over it.

The constant potshots at a guy who's gone really just make us Marquette fans look petty and jilted, like an ex-girlfriend that calls you to rub in that you got written up at work despite her being with a new guy for the past two years in another state. Seriously, is there any remote reason we should care?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 12:12:44 AM »
This is not relationships.  It is sports.  Supporting a team is irrational on many levels, and so is discussing sports.  The nice thing about sports is that there are no major consequences for fans like there is in personal relationships.  This is a college bball board and our former coach is the topic.  I don't think we look bad at all.  I enjoy checking in on him and I guarantee everyone else does on some level too. 

This is focused on recruiting and his coaching job anyway, not him as a person.  Most of us can handle just talking about him.  It's a pretty reasonable forum to do so.  Particularly this year as we are head to head on a recruit with him.

It seems like if you bring up Crean, you are bound to be accused of not being "over it."  If we talk about the Amigos are we not over them either?  There is nothing to be "over."   Can we bring up Crean and discuss him without being psychoanalyzed for not being "over it."  Even if we do have negative things to say, so what?  As long as it relates to basketball.  If you want to defend his job recruiting at Indiana, fine.  If you want to learn more about recruiting or what is going on, fine.  No one is attacking others here, and its generally a fine discussion.

We are talking college hoops here.  This is not a soap opera.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 05:52:11 AM »
Yeah Hoops, it sounds all good in theory, but when you say stuf like this below, it's clear that this is just a circular way for you to bash on the guy some more.

The tone when he left was that he was going to better places and he would finally be able to land top talent, and probably go all the way.  He didn't list out concrete goals when he was hired, but I cannot imagine his plan was to be a significant underdog to recruit the last 3 or 4 recruits in his own state when there is lots of talent.  

I haven't cared for a couple of years now.  I have no idea why it keeps getting brought up here.  It's completely petty.

feedback