[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean 2011 in-state recruits  (Read 16153 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Crean 2011 in-state recruits
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 09:05:02 AM »
Yeah Hoops, it sounds all good in theory, but when you say stuf like this below, it's clear that this is just a circular way for you to bash on the guy some more.

I haven't cared for a couple of years now.  I have no idea why it keeps getting brought up here.  It's completely petty.

Suggestion: Petition to have yourself appointed "End of Discussion" Czar. When you are no longer interested in a topic you can declare "case closed". You can save us from our pettiness and elevate us to that higher ground that you so humbly occupy.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »
No, I get that, it just feels like we've beaten this horse well beyond death. We're pretty much to the point where the horse is dead, the flesh is rotting away, and we still feel the need to grind the bones to make our bread. So Crean isn't doing well. Who cares? Do we constantly belabor Mike Deane's current career? Kevin O'Neill's? Crean's gone, Marquette is still doing well, just seems like it's about time we got over it.

The constant potshots at a guy who's gone really just make us Marquette fans look petty and jilted, like an ex-girlfriend that calls you to rub in that you got written up at work despite her being with a new guy for the past two years in another state. Seriously, is there any remote reason we should care?

I agree that the invective is unnecessary, but an unbiased discussion on Crean's coaching status is interesting. It's hard to compare Crean to those other coaches because of the level of success Crean had at Marquette, his controversial exit, and the fact that it happened only a few years ago. Can you honestly say that you have zero interest in Crean's career post-Marquette?

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
This is not relationships.  It is sports.  Supporting a team is irrational on many levels, and so is discussing sports.  The nice thing about sports is that there are no major consequences for fans like there is in personal relationships.  This is a college bball board and our former coach is the topic.  I don't think we look bad at all.  I enjoy checking in on him and I guarantee everyone else does on some level too. 

This is focused on recruiting and his coaching job anyway, not him as a person.  Most of us can handle just talking about him.  It's a pretty reasonable forum to do so.  Particularly this year as we are head to head on a recruit with him.

It seems like if you bring up Crean, you are bound to be accused of not being "over it."  If we talk about the Amigos are we not over them either?  There is nothing to be "over."   Can we bring up Crean and discuss him without being psychoanalyzed for not being "over it."  Even if we do have negative things to say, so what?  As long as it relates to basketball.  If you want to defend his job recruiting at Indiana, fine.  If you want to learn more about recruiting or what is going on, fine.  No one is attacking others here, and its generally a fine discussion.

We are talking college hoops here.  This is not a soap opera.

Your not wrong Hoops but you are kidding yourself if you think you can bring up Crean and not have the discussion ultimately degrade into a "soap opera."

The reason people get annoyed when Crean is brought up is because it is only a matter of time before PRN et al start in with the "tanned ahole" comments.  You may start a thread wanting to discuss Crean and his coaching and recruiting but the thread will soon go off the tracks. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 10:42:12 AM »
I had just got through saying to someone that the one thing MUScoop needs is another Crean thread....   ::)

TC is relevant in a Schadenfreude-ish way, and every once in a while there is a post that makes me laugh.  I'll continue to mine through the TC threads.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
Your not wrong Hoops but you are kidding yourself if you think you can bring up Crean and not have the discussion ultimately degrade into a "soap opera."

The reason people get annoyed when Crean is brought up is because it is only a matter of time before PRN et al start in with the "tanned ahole" comments.  You may start a thread wanting to discuss Crean and his coaching and recruiting but the thread will soon go off the tracks. 

He's absolutely the most polarizing figure related to MU hoops.

That makes him a popular/provocative topic... it keeps coming up over and over again.

But, that makes it hard to have real honest discussion about his performance. Too many biases for/against him.

I bet you can't have an honest discussion about Thad Motta on the XU boards for the same reasons.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »
I agree that the invective is unnecessary, but an unbiased discussion on Crean's coaching status is interesting. It's hard to compare Crean to those other coaches because of the level of success Crean had at Marquette, his controversial exit, and the fact that it happened only a few years ago. Can you honestly say that you have zero interest in Crean's career post-Marquette?

I'll keep an eye on him from afar, just like I will Wade or Diener or the Three Amigos or most anyone else who had some influence on our program. But any time a Crean thread opens, it seems to instantly morph into a polarized crap-tossing festival. Maybe it's just me, but despite HoopsMalone's comments, it feels like a soap opera.

I don't even think it's a question of being "over it" or not. I dislike Crean and the way that he left Marquette. But every time Crean so much as farts we need a thread here. Crean tweets about Lazar, let's start a thread. Crean recruits a kid that left another program for medical reasons, let's start a thread. Crean is being questioned by Indiana fans, let's start a thread. Crean takes credit for Matthews' success, let's start a thread. It just gets old.

I'm just getting anxious for the season to actually start, I think. Waiting for us to have something more to talk about than Crean this, Newbill that, and more things that become less and less relevant to Marquette by the day. Yeah, TC left us hanging, but I think we're better off with Buzz anyway. For the first time since 2003, it feels like we're in position to become one of the elite programs in college basketball. That's what excites me. Consecutive top 20 recruiting classes excites me. Landing guys like Blue, Jones, and Wilson on the heels of a class of DJO, Cadougan, and Williams, and looking ahead to potential future Golden Eagles like Dawson, Tokoto, and Faust excites me.

Watching the same tired re-run of "The Young and the Creanless" just doesn't do it for me anymore.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »
Or Bill Self on the U of I boards
Or Kelvin Sampson on the OU boards
Or John Calipari on the UMASS boards
Or Oliver Purnell on the Clemson boards
Or Sean Sutton on the OK State boards
Or Billy Gillespsie on the Texas A&M boards
Or Rick Pitino on the Kentucky boards
Or John Beilein on the WVU boards
Or Mike Davis on the IU boards

Any other lightening-rod departures that I'm missing? I'm guessing there are quite a few.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:09 AM »
It's not just MU Scoopers who feel Crean is inexorably linked to MU. He is commonly referred to as ex Marquette coach Tom Crean in all forms of media. He himself frequently uses his past association with MU as a way of blowing his own horn. "What we did at Marquette" has been a common mantra for him even as "what we've accomplished at Indiana" becomes more problematical.

There are many topics that come up over and over again on this board. If (like me) you don't care or have no opinion on the MU/football issue why not just refrain from entering the discussion. Ditto with Tom Crean or Marquette's schedule. I could go on and on listing topics but here's my point: Any topic that relates to MU basketball past or present is appropriate for discussion on this board. The number of threads and responses will determine the interest and worth of the topic. I have vehemently disagreed with several posters over time and they with me. But however misguided I find their opinions/conclusions I value their contributions. Not so much with people who enter a discussion to let everyone know (smuggly with a distinct air of superiority) just how "over it" they are concerning the topic. That adds nothing.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
Or Bill Self on the U of I boards
Or Kelvin Sampson on the OU boards
Or John Calipari on the UMASS boards
Or Oliver Purnell on the Clemson boards
Or Sean Sutton on the OK State boards
Or Billy Gillespsie on the Texas A&M boards
Or Rick Pitino on the Kentucky boards
Or John Beilein on the WVU boards
Or Mike Davis on the IU boards

Any other lightening-rod departures that I'm missing? I'm guessing there are quite a few.

Let's face it, the coaching carousel starts every off season and there a handful of schools/fans that think they got screwed.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »
Suggestion: Petition to have yourself appointed "End of Discussion" Czar. When you are no longer interested in a topic you can declare "case closed". You can save us from our pettiness and elevate us to that higher ground that you so humbly occupy.

That would be soooo cool...

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:04 AM »

Can he also determine when people's opinions should get them banned, or does Ners still hold that position?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »
Can he also determine when people's opinions should get them banned, or does Ners still hold that position?

That's a question beyond my pay grade. Check with the mods to see if someone can be a multi-czar. 

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »
Plumlee is not from Muncie...he is from Warsaw...same HS as Rick Fox and Jeff Grose.  Same HS as current major recruit Nic Moore, Warsaw played in the state title game this spring...they would have been awesome the last 4-5 years with his brothers and those guys around. 

1. I can't believe you just threw a Jeff Grose reference.  He surely was no Rod Grosse.

2. Muncie kicks the hell out of Warsaw in terms of a basketball history.

OK now back to the Crean bashing/love fest with no middle ground ;D

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »

Have you not let go of that yet?!!  Come on man.  You called for corrective action on Buzz or a reparimand over the Newbill situation....and I played on the wording of your post by saying I'd call for your head and that the mods take corrective action and ban your account.  Was it an exaggeration, and way overboard...YES...just as your 30+ posts drilling Buzz and calling for corrective action/reprimand became...Let it go dude!!  I made 1 post to that effect - and only after you'd beat the dead horse on the Newbill recruitment over and over and over, approximately 30 times of your last 35 posts at that time...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LON

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »

How does one tan their a$$hole?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »

Typically a tanning bed is best for this because you can lay down [REDACTED].

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »
There are many topics that come up over and over again on this board. If (like me) you don't care or have no opinion on the MU/football issue why not just refrain from entering the discussion.

Yeah, I think the killer is you get those dull days at work when you'll read most anything, and stopping by MUScoop is near obligatory, so because there's nothing else to discuss in mid-July you end up in a tired topic you've seen 100 times before, and will probably see 100 times again. I'm just longing for Marquette Madness and getting closer to the season starting so maybe for at least a few months, we'll have something current and pertinent in regards to MU basketball. I think it's just as much jonesing for more to talk about as it is being tired of "Crean sucks" reruns.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 12:33:49 AM »
the "tanned ahole" comments

Really? I didn't realize his ahole was also tanned. Who would have thought Tanned Tommy goes commando in the tanning booth

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 12:35:51 AM »

Tommy must have a Cheek Spreader

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 02:16:17 AM »
Really? I didn't realize his ahole was also tanned. Who would have thought Tanned Tommy goes commando in the tanning booth

I will bet a year's salary that it is as tan as his face.

Prove me wrong!

I dare you!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 02:20:03 AM »
Have you not let go of that yet?!!  Come on man.  You called for corrective action on Buzz or a reparimand over the Newbill situation....and I played on the wording of your post by saying I'd call for your head and that the mods take corrective action and ban your account.  Was it an exaggeration, and way overboard...YES...just as your 30+ posts drilling Buzz and calling for corrective action/reprimand became...Let it go dude!!  I made 1 post to that effect - and only after you'd beat the dead horse on the Newbill recruitment over and over and over, approximately 30 times of your last 35 posts at that time...

Now who's not letting go?

I was making a joke.  Trust me, I'm over it.  Except for those nights when I wake up in a cold sweat then desperately log on to MUScoop to make sure Ners didn't get me banned.  That only happens like once or twice a week though.  Other than that, I'm over it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
Now who's not letting go?

I was making a joke.  Trust me, I'm over it.  Except for those nights when I wake up in a cold sweat then desperately log on to MUScoop to make sure Ners didn't get me banned.  That only happens like once or twice a week though.  Other than that, I'm over it.

Whew.  Glad to hear it, and thanks for the clarification.  Though it looks like last night might have been one of those nights you woke up in a cold sweat and logged on at 2:23AM to make sure you weren't banned.   :D  Peace.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »
Whew.  Glad to hear it, and thanks for the clarification.  Though it looks like last night might have been one of those nights you woke up in a cold sweat and logged on at 2:23AM to make sure you weren't banned.   :D  Peace.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but the world is divided up into these things called time zones.  So it's not really the same time everywhere.

MU fans and alums aren't just restricted to the U.S.  We're worldwide baby!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »
I don't know if you are aware of this, but the world is divided up into these things called time zones.  So it's not really the same time everywhere.

MU fans and alums aren't just restricted to the U.S.  We're worldwide baby!

Thanks for the clarification on time zones - I was wondering if such a thing existed.  I googled and now have a full understanding.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying.  But I am genuinely interested in how he does.  The thing is, I'm not really sure how to say this any other way, but most of the news coming out of Bloomington is negative.  So it is natural for some of these responses.  I mean, we had heard "wait until 2011 and 2012" and Crean will get some local talent.  He still may, but it is interesting that he is an underdog on a lot of these instate guys.  Might say more about the program than Crean.  

But if there is some genuine facts reported about Crean, and those facts are not positive, then people get accused of Crean bashing.  As long as the focus stays on basketball, I think these are good threads, but they get derailed for the reasons you pointed out MUSF.