'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread  (Read 28546 times)

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »
Blackledge has always looked good throwing it down even against real teams... D was lacking though.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »
Everyone looks better when Crean isn't coaching them.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
Prediction (based on nothing):  Singleton is given a scholarship either next year or the year after 1) because it helps balance out the schollie table a bit and 2) because he appears (albeit in a pick-up game type of environment) to be skilled enough to offer a few minutes per game of relief of our higher profile players...

Obviously everyone likes to think that we'll have a roster of all Top 100 players, but let's face it, kids have egos and it's always important to have a player or two on your roster who understand that they will play a very limited role on your team...my bet is that Singleton becomes one of those guys for Buzz...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2010, 11:07:31 AM »
Why would we give a scholarship to a kid who's paying his own way? Everyone keeps saying "He's better than nothing" as their reasoning to give him a scholarship. News flash: he's already on the team. Not giving a scholarship to a recruit and giving one to him instead would be resulting in getting nothing more than we have now, since we already have Singleton. I don't mean to rip the guy apart but I know a lot of people who could look good on a team with Ouse and Blue playing against a lot of Juco level players. There's a reason he was at a very low major school originally and wasn't even being offered by mid-majors even after he decided to transfer. Why would a team that is looking to move to the highest level give a scholarship to that type of player, especially a guard when we're STACKED at guard.

I'm sorry, but no, we should not give him a scholarship. Just because he crossed some Juco level players in a playground setting does bot make him a Big East caliber player. I'm really glad he's on the team, but that's because he's a major upgrade from our past walk-one and he'll help for practice purposes. He will not play a major roll I. Big games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »
He would probably have to be a significant contributor for a season before they would think about rewarding him with a scholarship.  Like 8-10 ppg... see that happening?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »
Reward him with scholarship:

~If indeeds earns it, beating out potential recruits AND if his family is no longer willing to self-finance his education

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »
edit: just saw another thread with the exact same question i asked

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »
I was at the Pro Am on Saturday and it was exactly what i needed.  I was jonesing for some MU ball.  A few things I noticed were...

Dave Singleton: The  Kid is going to see some minutes after he sits out a year.  His team went up against Buycks' and Fulce's team.  He started off hot and looks like he has great form on his jumper.  I think he scored the first 8 points for his team.

Vander Blue:  Super athletic but needs to work on his jumper.  It looks like he crosses his guide hand a bit on his follow through.  He took it to the hole 90% of the time and was drawing a lot of contact and able to muscle it up and get the and 1.

Joe Fulce:  Looked like the Joe Fulce that we had last year snagging a lot of 1 handed rebounds and going up strong every time.  He did have Blue guarding him the whole time.

Dwight Buycks:  He looked good, but he hogged the ball.  On quite a few occasions he skipped passing the ball to the open man and took it to the hole himself.  

Chris Otule:  Looked unstoppable inside.  He did have a few inches on everyone but he looks like he's got great footwork and his Vert has really improved.  If he was within 3'  it was a guaranteed slam.  On one he was gonna lay it up and Trend yelled from the perimeter "no throw it down" and he did with ease.   If he can stay healthy he'll be good for 8 ppg and 7 reb/game.

Reggie Smith:  when he's on the move don't blink because if you do he'll be 90' down the court when you open your eyes.  Didnt take many jumpers in the game i saw but he didnt have to. nobody could stay with him.  He had 1 time the whole game where he looked out of control but that was it.  Very composed when he gets the ball and he'll be that spark off the bench that we lacked last year.  Had a dirty behind the back pass that set up i wanna say trend for a dunk.  He was on wes' team and Wes said to the crowd "I think Reggie is gonna be alright" and kept repeating it to himself for a while.  Phenomenal player.

Junior Cadougan:  Not the Cadougan we saw last year.   Quicker and got into the paint whenever he wanted.  Hit a 3 and didnt airball it like the syracuse game.  He was going against wes and smith's team and he wouldnt let his team loose.  the game went to o.t. and he wanted the ball in his hands every time down the court.  i think i alsoi heard the announcer say at one point that he had 15 assists.  he was the biggest surprise all day.

I didnt stay for Wilson and Jones' game but Wilson wasnt playing.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
New video added

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »
I was at the Pro Am on Saturday and it was exactly what i needed.  I was jonesing for some MU ball.  A few things I noticed were...

Dave Singleton: The  Kid is going to see some minutes after he sits out a year.  

I don't think he has to sit out a year.  I am wrong.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:10:56 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2010, 09:04:19 AM »
He has to sit a year.

Galway03

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
  I guess that I will weigh in on this subject one more time. If David Singleton contributes above or equal to other players that are on scholarship then David should also receive a scholarship. To do otherwise would be an insult to David and the entire program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »
David Singleton is no Dave Delsman.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
David Singleton is no Dave Delsman.

I hope he isn't Dave Delsman.  That would make him a little portly and about 58 years old.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On