[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread  (Read 28559 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
One thing that a few people have mentioned is that Gardner is more of 4.  I totally disagree.  He will get all his minutes at the 5.  He will not have quick enough feet to guard 4's in the big East. 

I think you're forgetting about some of the 4 men in this league, not all of them are the quick face up 4 type that would give Gardner trouble.  A few teams are going with the more traditional PF, and some like Syracuse are really playing two 5s instead of a 4 and a 5.  Gardner would have no problem keeping up with guys like that.  Sure, he'd get killed by the Devin Ebanks, Herb Pope, Stanley Robinson type guys...but not everyone has one of them.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
I guess I would agree that some teams go big.  Buzz has always gone smaller for more skill on the floor and less size and play faster to conteract that.  I would be very surprised if over the next 3 years we see Otule and OX on the floor at the same time. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 01:28:41 PM »
I guess I would agree that some teams go big.  Buzz has always gone smaller for more skill on the floor and less size and play faster to conteract that.  I would be very surprised if over the next 3 years we see Otule and OX on the floor at the same time.  
You must not see the pregame warm ups. ;D

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »
I don't know how Otule will be during real competitive games, but it was refreshing to finally see a Marquette big man catch the ball, pivot, and shoot without bringing the ball below his shoulders instead of trying to power-dribble right under the basket and getting swarmed every time.

And like someone already mentioned, Reggie Smith makes everyone else look like they are in slow motion. He was running by guys and scoring before they even realized he was running by them. Lightning quick.

This is going to be a fun season.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »
IF you're on Facebook and haven't "Liked" Milwaukee Summer Pro-Am yet,

YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON SOME OUTSTANDING PHOTOS (sample below)!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Milwaukee-Summer-Pro-Am/126601787376820

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:58:41 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
I'm trying not to get too excited over these videos because it looked like there was little to no defense being played.  Having said that, DJO looked awesome with his shot and dribble drives, Cadougan looked trim and quick, and Otule looked like he could handle a pass and make a layup in traffic. I'm looking foreward to the start of the season. 

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »
New vid added.

Highlights from Day 4 and 5 to be posted in next couple of days

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
Day 4 Highlights of Matthews, Otule, Smith and Blackledge added

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
Who is Trend Blackledge?

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »
Who is Trend Blackledge?

Lawrence Blackledge who played at MU 3 years ago

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »
New Vid added ft. Buycks, Fulce, Blue and Singleton

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 05:29:51 PM »
New Vid added ft. Buycks, Fulce, Blue and Singleton

You're awesome.  Used to have to wait for Todd Rosiak's open gym reports to get my MUBB fix...but you're like Frank Lucas up in this beeyotch!

Thanks YounMUFan4, greatly appreciated.  I can't wait for Marquette Basketball.

EDIT

Man...I've never been so excited about a walk-on...Singleton has some sick handles and a nice jumper...who was that on the sidelines in the jeans and white shirt acting a fool when Singleton crossed his guy up the first time? 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:39:47 PM by LLRj Since 1986 »

MUFan42

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
It looks like Jimmy Butler on the sidelines

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »
It looks like Jimmy Butler on the sidelines
Yup
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
Singleton looks good for a walkon.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
Singleton looks good for a walkon.

You'd never be able to tell he is a walk-on if you didn't already know. I thought his highlight package was as impressive as anyone's in that video.

If we can't get the blue-chip 2011 recruits we're hoping for, I wouldn't mind banking a scholarship for some of the 2012 in-state prospects. That way, we could make Singleton a scholarship player for 2011-12 with the understanding that he would shift back to walk-on for the following year.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
Singleton isn't as bad as our previous walk-on's but he isn't a scholarship player on a Big East team. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
Have to agree with those who thought Singleton looked really good in the highlight package.  From the reports I've read from people who attended - he looks really good throughout, correct?  A great pick up for a walk on for sure.

I believe he'll contribute in his time at MU - maybe not too much this year, but at some point in the next 2-3 years.  I have to wonder if Singleton will be just as good as DJ Newbill would have been- but to get him as a walk on..WOW!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2010, 08:57:25 PM »
ok pick up ball player.   Nothing to get all excited about. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
ok pick up ball player.   Nothing to get all excited about. 

I did go back and watch the video, and noticed on the Buycks highlight package - Buycks shook Singleton pretty easily several times.  Which to me, is more of a reflection of how good Buycks might be this year - as Singleton looks like a good athlete, and at very least has competed at the D-1 level, and put up decent numbers agains the Big East teams he did face while at High Point.

Based on what everyone is writing about Buycks from the Pro-Am, and the above observation...Buycks seems poised for a major break out year.  Would love to see him join DJO as an All Big East Selection this year..and think it is possible...if his 3 point shot continues to fall for him..as has been reported from ProAm (much improved from last year.)

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
Singleton isn't as bad as our previous walk-on's but he isn't a scholarship player on a Big East team. 

I don't mean to imply that he is Big East level. My reasoning for suggesting using a scholarship on him is more about the loaded in-state class in 2012 and my belief that only a special recruit would crack the 2011-12 team's rotation.

My point is that he'd be a pretty good guy to give your 13th scholarship to if there isn't a recruit deserving of it. Having a guy who could provide solid shooting and ball-handling in spot minutes in case of injuries is better than nothing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
There were times both nights where Singleton was the best player on the court. He was fantastic on Saturday.

Certainly not your typical walk-on.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
Have to agree with those who thought Singleton looked really good in the highlight package.  From the reports I've read from people who attended - he looks really good throughout, correct?  A great pick up for a walk on for sure.

I believe he'll contribute in his time at MU - maybe not too much this year, but at some point in the next 2-3 years.  I have to wonder if Singleton will be just as good as DJ Newbill would have been- but to get him as a walk on..WOW!!

Singleton is a transfer and has to sit out this year.  And I believe he will be a junior next year when he can play.  He looked good ot he court when I was there Friday.  Excellent walk on.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
Who is Trend Blackledge?

Followup question:"and when did he learn to play quality basketball?"  He looks far better in these clips then he ever did at MU.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 07:19:51 AM »
Everybody looks better when there is no team defense being played.

feedback