[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Interviews with Recruits = NCAA Violations  (Read 23671 times)

rulzgal

• Walk-On
Interviews with Recruits = NCAA Violations
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
Fans, please remember that you are considered a booster by NCAA standards if you are an alum, season ticket holder, donor, among other things.  If any of our boosters contact our recruits, that recruit will be ineligible to come to Marquette.  Please do not ever contact any of our recruits or their parents.  This means do not contact them in person, by e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, conduct interviews, etc.  You need to leave the recruiting to the coaches we have hired.  You can certainly feel free to contact our staff if you have information about a recruit that you think we should have.  We appreciate your support and your enthusiasm, but we need to make sure that you aren't doing something that violates NCAA rules.  For more information on NCAA rules, please refer to our website at http://www.gomarquette.com/compliance/ncaa-rules-guide.html or contact me at danielle.josetti@marquette.edu.

Thanks and Go Marquette!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Interviews with Recruits = NCAA Violations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »
Fans, please remember that you are considered a booster by NCAA standards if you are an alum, season ticket holder, donor, among other things.  If any of our boosters contact our recruits, that recruit will be ineligible to come to Marquette.  Please do not ever contact any of our recruits or their parents.  This means do not contact them in person, by e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, conduct interviews, etc.  You need to leave the recruiting to the coaches we have hired.  You can certainly feel free to contact our staff if you have information about a recruit that you think we should have.  We appreciate your support and your enthusiasm, but we need to make sure that you aren't doing something that violates NCAA rules.  For more information on NCAA rules, please refer to our website at http://www.gomarquette.com/compliance/ncaa-rules-guide.html or contact me at danielle.josetti@marquette.edu.

Thanks and Go Marquette!

Way to go Brad Forester.  You ruined DJ's chances to come to MU.  Or is this some sinister plot by Buzz to deflect the blame away from himself and onto an innocent patsy? 

You make the call.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
Thanks Danielle,

and Go Oregon, Ball State, Oregon State and MUHS!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
Out of curiosity, how are we considered boosters?  Under the promoted MU athletics definition?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »

Thanks and Go Marquette!

Buzz Killled

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:33:17 PM »
This is an interesting twist to this unending saga.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »
Out of curiosity, how are we considered boosters?  Under the promoted MU athletics definition?

alum or season ticket holder counts, that probably covers most of us

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
How long is a kid considered a recruit instead of a player?   Until this incoming class starts summer school at MU?  When the fall semester starts?  Until practice starts?  Until they play in their first game? 

Edit: Nevermind... I just read the linked article:

A prospective student-athlete is a person who has started classes for the ninth grade, regardless of his/her athletic ability. A prospect is also any student who is enrolled at a two-year college or at a four-year institution other than Marquette University. A prospective studentathlete remains a prospect even after he/she has signed a National Letter of Intent or accepts an offer of financial aid to attend Marquette University, until he/she reports for the first day of classes for a regular term (fall or spring) or begins official practice immediately prior to the start of classes. Marquette University requests that you treat ALL students as prospects.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:41:40 PM by Skatastrophy »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »
How long is a kid considered a recruit instead of a player?   Until this incoming class starts summer school at MU?  When the fall semester starts?  Until practice starts?  Until they play in their first game? 
[/

I had the same question.  After they sign an NLI or are actually admitted?

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Mods please send to every person who requested a copy of the video.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
Catch of the day for Mr. Forster:

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »
New infomercial:

Did you make a recruiting error?  On a sweet tea sugar high and you accidentally signed a tall white stiff?  Find a better player, now need to bump someone?

Stop worrying! Your problems are over!

Just call 1-800-MUSCOOP and for $49.95 (plus order handling) we'll get you in contact with an alum, season ticket holder, or donor who can violate the contact rules for you, taking care of those pesky problem recruits!

Our crack staff will document the violation and for an additional $19.95, call the NCAA for you!

(Patent pending technology - 2010.  Illegal in 48 states, except Texas and Mississippi.  All rights reserved, Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:41:06 PM by mu_hilltopper »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
Ignore that guy.  Take this seriously, you guys.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
Ignore that guy.  Take this seriously, you guys.

You should be banned for personal attacks against... yourself.  Metaban.

-Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »
Does this qualify as a "culmination of several things"?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »
Dang.  Someone reported me to the moderator as an idiot.  Ahh, I'm just an anti-teal zealot living in a teal-loving world.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »
Mods please send to every person who requested a copy of the video.

I must have missed the part about watching videos being a violation, i'll have to re-read it.

BTW a mod posted the link to the video.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »
Dang.  Someone reported me to the moderator as an idiot.  Ahh, I'm just an anti-teal zealot living in a teal-loving world.

Yeah, I'm thinking about banning you.  Then again, he did call MUScoop an asylum, so maybe I should ban him.  I'll ponder this for a bit and then probably ban everyone.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 03:09:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking about banning you.  Then again, he did call MUScoop an asylum, so maybe I should ban him.  I'll ponder this for a bit and then probably ban everyone.

But if you ban hilltopper, that makes MORE work for you.  I say you recruit more mods, and lessen the load a bit.

/powergrab

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
I must have missed the part about watching videos being a violation, i'll have to re-read it.

BTW a mod posted the link to the video.

Good, great I wasn't trying to tie the two was only pointing out that all of you clamoring for this video only encourage this sort of behavior, including mods.  No one on here is a coach for Marquette, get over it, let the coaches recruit and then enjoy the team Marquette fields.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »

You're correct, watching a video is not a violation.

For the record, I don't know if this involves DJ or Brad, there are exclusions for media i.e. - you are allowed to conduct an interview with recruits if you are part of the media.  For example, the Marquette Scout site can do recruit interviews because they are considered a "media" outlet.  MUScoop does not have that designation (partly because we haven't asked for it).  Brad likely falls into the "media" category, at least from his YouTube page:

I am a broadcasting major from Marquette University, specializing in sports anchoring, reporting and play by play. I also enjoy doing impersonations and voice over work. I write, produce and edit my own content.

But I'll let him and MU work anything out there if they think there's a problem.  It's outside of the MUScoop universe.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »
But if you ban hilltopper, that makes MORE work for you.

Hah.  Yeah, probably wise to keep that sarcastic jerk around.  I was not near a computer for the weekend and have only caught up to reading through July 2.  Well, except for this thread.  It's kinda fun living a couple days in the past.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 03:43:38 PM »
I was not near a computer for the weekend and have only caught up to reading through July 2.

Yeah, thanks for leaving me alone.  Picked a great week.  Felt like Dances with Wolves.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
Brad likely falls into the "media" category, at least from his YouTube page:

But I'll let him and MU work anything out there if they think there's a problem.  It's outside of the MUScoop universe.

What outlet does Brad work for?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »
MUScoop does not have that designation (partly because we haven't asked for it). 

I've been curious about this... unrelated to MUScoop, but just message boards and websites in general...

What is the other part(s) as to why MUScoop does not have that designation?  Is there a formal process to be deemed a member of the media by the NCAA or are there some set standards?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.