[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Interviews with Recruits = NCAA Violations  (Read 23675 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Interviews with Recruits = NCAA Violations
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
What, are Spiral and SoCal the teachers of the group?

Summers off?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
I always thought it was odd that Newbill's coach was posting on this site. I wonder if this played into Buzz's decision to cut Newbill loose. Maybe Buzz was worried he was a meddler like Tim Maymon.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 04:04:45 PM »
Brad Forester is not credentialed.  I know for a fact that he is not an idiot ;) so I know that he will not conduct any interviews with any more potential MU recruits.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »
Good, great I wasn't trying to tie the two was only pointing out that all of you clamoring for this video only encourage this sort of behavior, including mods.  No one on here is a coach for Marquette, get over it, let the coaches recruit and then enjoy the team Marquette fields.

I wouldn't worry about, Buzz and the staff had a conditional understanding with Brad that the video would not be posted unless the player was released.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
Look at what you losers have done now.

Sorry DJ.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 04:33:02 PM »
I can't remember seeing a warning like this from Athletics before.

I wonder if the videos had anything to do with the Newbill situation.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »
I know for a fact that he is not an idiot ;)

Clever, very clever.

Look at what you losers have done now.

Huh?  Who exactly are you blaming this on?

What outlet does Brad work for?

As I said, I'll let him and MU work anything out there if they think there's a problem.  It's outside of the MUScoop universe.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
This point is well taken.
My daughter was attending Cy Springs HS when K Bradley was being recruited by MU;
When news reports broke of his committing to MU, I was excited, and called the MU, school athl. dept. to see if I could now finally contact/talk to him and/or parents about Milwaukee, weather, jobs, real chili etc (I already handled the MU table for the college night at the HS)--but, in no uncertatin terms-- I was warned away from all contact-- I was scared straight--I didnt even make eye contact w/any of them at CYHS school functions-lol.

Wouldnt we better help the school by not posting overheard conversations, quotes, or even allowing the Philly coach types to openly query US on whether there will be an elite camp etc. --questions he should've directed to someone in charge.
I would hate if I ever gave even a hint of anything the NCAA would track here to check us out, or claim a problem. My need to know does not require any NCAA contact violations--as ultimately, its the team on the court I root for---not the stories behind the scenes.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
The initial post should be stickied as people may forget and get over zealous when they discover a recruit is in their area.
SS Marquette

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
Clever, very clever.

Huh?  Who exactly are you blaming this on?

As I said, I'll let him and MU work anything out there if they think there's a problem.  It's outside of the MUScoop universe.

To Brad,...my apologies for some of my comments. Heat of the moment.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »
So...let's backtrack:

April 14:  DJ signs LOI with MU
April 25:  First You Tube video of DJ and posse is posted by a MU alum
May 3:  Gardner signed, MU source mentions Prep School route for a recruit...message board rumors of DJ being the one follow.
May 13:  Brad Foster denies DJ is the Prep school candidate
May 22:  PhillyCoach registers and starts posting about DJ
May 26:  Brad Forster posts:  "The full length feature on DJ will be posted on Cracked Sidewalks early next week."
June:  DJ graduates, never applies, hardly talks to MU, doesn't know of Pro Am.  MU looks at various transfers who were granted releases.
June 29:  Wilson cleared.  Monarch lowers the boom. 
July 7:  MU issues recruiting warning to boosters and alums

Coincidence or the reason Buzz cooled and was steering him to Prep School...and since that wasn't going to wash after all this evidence, he sent in his assistant to tell his HS coach the news--and to stay 5 miles clear of the situation?  A very quick time line to a Buzzcut  or a NCAA nuclear fallout evacuation with a whole line of digital evidence?  Or was this whole situation a Buzz attempt to pull a Jay Wright and place a couple of LOI's into Prep School as he has done the last couple of years?

Not to blame Brad or Stan here as I think they are naive to all this...but if Buzz cools on a recruit or athlete--he is direct, honest, but has no patience for all this--he acts quick, sometimes impulsively (Acker, Cubes, Wilson the first time)--perhaps leading to miscommunication and a bitter end of the rope.  He wants players here who are serious about their studies and opportunities.  Take on Wilson or a lean-in recruit with a self-inflicted shadow?  Cruel pill but IU almost got the death penalty for texting too much.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »
Maybe Forster can get an exclusive with Deon Mitchell and really get our 2012 class off to a hot start.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »
What, are Spiral and SoCal the teachers of the group?

Summers off?

I wish.. LOL  quite the opposite actually.. wife just gave birth to my son 2 weeks ago.. haven't even had time to make insults about that freak weirdo with the ahoya plates..   ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 11:23:03 PM »
I wish.. LOL  quite the opposite actually.. wife just gave birth to my son 2 weeks ago.. haven't even had time to make insults about that freak weirdo with the ahoya plates..   ;D

congrats
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
Everything Brad posted here (MU grad, big fan, never miss a game, etc) screams booster to the NCAA. That he unwittingly committed violations on Marquette's behalf (on multiple occasions) seems clear. I'm sure it was unintentional but I'd be interested in Bred's take on the situation.

I'd also like to know what jeopardy MU is facing now and how much worse it could have potentially been had DJ ended up at Marquette.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
The initial post should be stickied as people may forget and get over zealous when they discover a recruit is in their area.

Definitely.

And added to "Welcome! / Rules / Tips".
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
Everything Brad posted here (MU grad, big fan, never miss a game, etc) screams booster to the NCAA. That he unwittingly committed violations on Marquette's behalf (on multiple occasions) seems clear. I'm sure it was unintentional but I'd be interested in Bred's take on the situation.

I'd also like to know what jeopardy MU is facing now and how much worse it could have potentially been had DJ ended up at Marquette.

All Brad has to do is say he is a blogger.   Look at what bloggers on other sites are doing interviewing signed players, coaches, family members as examples.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
All Brad has to do is say he is a blogger.   Look at what bloggers on other sites are doing interviewing signed players, coaches, family members as examples.

Examples...

babytownfrolics

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »

Funny how you are so willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but not Buzz...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 01:33:18 PM »
Funny how you are so willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but not Buzz...

Give who the benefit of the doubt?

babytownfrolics

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
Give who the benefit of the doubt?

who do you think?  Brad Forster.  It's like you're his lawyer.  

In any event, it's not like Forster is going to get in trouble, it's the possibility that he violated NCAA rules on behalf of Marquette that's the problem.  He should be ashamed for acting so recklessly.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:00:22 PM by babytownfrolics »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »
who do you think?  Brad Forster.  It's like you're his lawyer.  

In any event, it's not like Forster is going to get in trouble, it's the fact that he violated NCAA rules on behalf of Marquette that's the problem.  He should be ashamed for acting so recklessly.

Baby, I thought you were Buzz's lawyer.   ;D  Or wife.

You'll have to forgive me, were you saying that I should give Buzz the benefit of the doubt despite what the kid said, his coaches said, his family said....as if their opinions don't matter as an affected party?

Versus a MU fan in Philadelphia who interviewed the kid's coaches?  

Are you really comparing the two?   You'll note that other sites have interviewed those coaches as well, say the Scout site as an example.  Should they be in trouble for doing so?  Is the difference that one is considered "journalists" vs boosters?   I don't know, I'm asking.  

Where does that line get drawn?  Are MU fans \ boosters that run a MU dedicated website considered boosters or "journalists"?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:31:11 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Atlanta Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »
While it might be convenient, in the age of message board and internet bloggers, to designated everyone who blogs or records a video as a member of the media it simply will not fly with the NCAA.  Chico of all people knows this well. In order to be legit, in the eyes of the NCAA, the media needs to be credentialed.  That is to say that they must be recognized by legitimate entities (such as MU or other local universities or pro teams) as members of the media for purposes of receiving a credential that enables them to cover events for these universities and teams without paying admission (in other words they're at the press table/row and have access to clubhouses/locker rooms and players for coverage purpose.

It is clear that Brad, perhaps unkowingly, fits the definition of a booster in that he is an alum.  I think it's ironic that being an alum defines one as a booster as I have seen several alums post things on this board that are harmful to our alma mater.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
In any event, it's not like Forster is going to get in trouble, it's the fact that he violated NCAA rules on behalf of Marquette that's the problem.  He should be ashamed for acting so recklessly.

It's the "fact" that he violated NCAA rules "on behalf of Marquette"?    

Firstly, not a fact.  A possibility.  Secondly, I'd like to see your source on the "fact" that he did it "on behalf of Marquette."

Thanks.

babytownfrolics

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »
----, I thought you were Buzz's lawyer.   ;D  Or wife.

I won't pretend to know how or why you know my name, or that you think it would be a good idea to include my first name in one of your posts, but either way, it should be deleted.  Thanks.