[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Should Buzz Williams be sent to prison?  (Read 16351 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Should Buzz Williams be sent to prison?
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:38:25 AM »
I think absolutely yes. He has completely ruined the lives of DJ Newbill and his family. Marquette's reputation is forever tarnished among HS/AAU coaches and recruits around the country, and they will be lucky to sign a single player next year. This is a black eye from which teh entire University will never recover. Marquette should not be doing things this way.

Compared to the level of ridiculousness in some of the comments from internet nerds on this board, who are the only people who really know or care about this, the above unfortunately seems to be only a slight exaggeration.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Should Buzz Williams be sent to prison?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 07:40:54 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 08:37:46 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »
How about all those that are upset about this boycott MU basketball.  Do not watch a game or post here for one year.  That will teach everyone!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
Best. Thread title.  Ever.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
He did nothing about the gulf oil spill either! For shame!
"We have the blues on the run!"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »
Prison---no!

Calimari has not even been admitted yet!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:11:40 AM »
I hear the Trustees are in a meeting this morning to edit the mission statement of our University so that it enables us to continue such deplorable acts.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
Definitely not prison, but perhaps fired, or at very least reprimanded publically by the university right outside the Alumni Memorial Union.  I'm quite sure Chicos, MUSF, and TJ would be the only ones present...and each of these Scoopers needs to be given the microphone to have a chance to air their greivances.  Buzz shall not be given a chance to tell his side of the story.  He is guilty until proven innocent. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:37:12 AM »
perhaps a simple public flogging would be in order . . .

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:48:19 AM »
Definitely not prison, but perhaps fired, or at very least reprimanded publically by the university right outside the Alumni Memorial Union.  I'm quite sure Chicos, MUSF, and TJ would be the only ones present...and each of these Scoopers needs to be given the microphone to have a chance to air their greivances.  Buzz shall not be given a chance to tell his side of the story.  He is guilty until proven innocent. 

Maybe after this event you could publicly fellate him to make it all better.

Your insistence on misrepresenting my views is getting old.  Constantly trying to cram life's complexities into your little black and white boxes must be exhausting.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »
Now I am not saying Buzz is not the one who is ultimately responsible, but it will be interesting if an assistant coach leaves. An assistant leaving was quite common under Crean. So far Buzz has not lost an assistant. If Monarch (I have no idea about this happening)left what would it mean? It could be he just found a better opportunity. It could mean he did not like the way Buzz did this and left on his own. It could be he did not follow Buzz's instructions and got voted off Buzz's island. Of course we would never know the real reason or may not believe the real reason is the right one. There has been some criticism on this board about the assumption that Buzz had Monarch tell Newbill he was no longer wanted. I have been thinking about this. I am assuming that Newbill was Monarch's recruit. Monarch of course is recruiting for Buzz. Now, I am just reading between the lines here, but Monarch really likes Newbill and Newbill really likes MU. Monarch tells Buzz he has a guard that is an up and comer who is ready to commit. Buzz tells Monarch that we really need a bigman with the scholarship. Monarch insists Newbill is going to be really good and we need to take him. Buzz says do you think he would be willing to go to prep school a year, if we do not have a scholarship for him. Monarch says he will talk to Newbill about this and Buzz tells Monarch he will take Newbill under this condition. Buzz goes forward operating under this assumption. It seems obvious that Buzz thought he had a player that was willing to go to prep school for a year. What is not obvious is what Newbill's understanding was and I believe that has to do with the communication between Buzz and Monarch and Monarch and Newbill. It could be that Newbill originally understood this, but thought the possibility of going to prep school ended back in May when Mbao transferred instead of Newbill having to give up his scholarship for the Big Ox. Perhaps Monarch thought this was the case also and told Newbill he was safe, ignoring the fact that Buzz is always recruiting.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »
Maybe after this event you could publicly fellate him to make it all better.

Your insistence on misrepresenting my views is getting old.  Constantly trying to cram life's complexities into your little black and white boxes must be exhausting.
Considering you are the sensitve one here (and getting all upset about how Buzz wronged Newbill, Roseboro, Maymon and the University of New Orleans), it would seem you are the more likely candidate to fellate.  Aditionally, you also seem to be really hung up on the notion of communication - most women I know are very into communication - wait a minute..are you a woman?

And did you really tell me to "grow up" in another of your posts - yet you come with this weak sauce??
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
I'm thinking a couple days in "The Stocks" would be sufficient.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
So far Buzz has not lost an assistant.

Bzzt.  Dale Layer left MU for Liberty.

I want to say we lost a S&C coach, too, but fail to remember detail.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
Considering you are the sensitve one here (and getting all upset about how Buzz wronged Newbill, Roseboro, Maymon and the University of New Orleans), it would seem you are the more likely candidate to fellate.  Aditionally, you also seem to be really hung up on the notion of communication - most women I know are very into communication - wait a minute..are you a woman?

And did you really tell me to "grow up" in another of your posts - yet you come with this weak sauce??

You got me.

I am a womenly dude with communication issues weeping at my computer over Newbill, Maymon, Roseboro, and UNO while throw darts at a giant picture of Buzz.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »

Ners, I've said since day one this idea of firing, etc is ridiculous.  Not sure why you dragged me into this thread. 

My point from day one is we shouldn't be doing this, it reflects badly on Buzz and the university. I simply don't want him to repeat the mistake again as it affects lives.  You are misrepresenting my views as well as MUSF and TJ. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 10:43:14 AM »
Ners, I've said since day one this idea of firing, etc is ridiculous.  Not sure why you dragged me into this thread. 

My point from day one is we shouldn't be doing this, it reflects badly on Buzz and the university. I simply don't want him to repeat the mistake again as it affects lives.  You are misrepresenting my views.

My bad.  Fixed at the end.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »
Prison's for pikers.  Let's waterboard him until he tells us exactly what happened  ;D
The General has taken on a new command.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »
Well if Marquette doesn't address the situation soon they may have a riot on their hands. Kids have been protesting in front of the Dean's office for days now, at least I assume so. I mean, if this board is in such a ruckus then the entire Marquette community must be out for blood right? DJ Newbill was the new favorite Warrior, and I know for a fact that his name was on the tongue of every Marquette supporter, he was the golden boy and everyone knew his name. He will not be forgotten on places other than online forums, right?

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
Bzzt.  Dale Layer left MU for Liberty.

I want to say we lost a S&C coach, too, but fail to remember detail.

IIRC Dale left under different circumstances. Didn't he leave to become the HC at Liberty?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
My bad.  Fixed at the end.
I don't really care how you represent my views.  Have at it.  I you want reality, I think we did a bad thing that unfortunately seems to be within the rules of the NCAA.  I think that attaching riders to NLIs in case a better player comes along is a poor practice at best.  I think that a signed NLI should be honored by the school pretty much always, minus certain legal or scholastic issues.  I am disappointed that MU is doing it.

I don't think anything more than maybe a private "let's handle this better next time" should happen to Buzz.  The thought of a public reprimand or firing him is ridiculous.  As for me, I'm not going to stop watching or cheering; by the time the season starts it'll be status quo, especially with Wilson not even dressing for games.  

I was honestly a little bit shocked to find people who said they would not be against doing the same thing again without any sort of pretense of a "conditional" offer.  I didn't expect that one.

And finally, I think that some people are misrepresenting this as something that happens often.  If it were, I think you would see UCLA, UNC, etc. signing their plan B's and cutting them for better players every year, or at least far more often.  I believe the only example I can think of is Cal dumping Gillespie's NLI's at UK last year when he started, and I think it was poor form then too.

My posts may have mellowed slightly since the first day; I may have been a little harsher at first.  I'm not going to go back and review, but I think my posts have been pretty consistently expressing the above thoughts since at least Thursday.  

TJ

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
IIRC Dale left under different circumstances. Didn't he leave to become the HC at Liberty?
Crean got bashed for coaches leaving no matter the circumstances.  Many of them did leave for better jobs.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »
Crean got bashed for coaches leaving no matter the circumstances.  Many of them did leave for better jobs.

Here we go.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »
Here we go.
Yeah, sorry.  What I said is true though.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »
Yeah, sorry.  What I said is true though.

Outside of Darren Horn, How many left for HC jobs?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:54:20 PM by mwbauer7 »

feedback