'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Viper
[Today at 07:44:25 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill No Longer Marquette Material  (Read 40665 times)

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
Re: DJ Newbill No Longer Marquette Material
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
Simple Navin, kids signs NLI you honor that commitment.  He plays year one, is a team member.  That's what I mean.  It's not that hard.

I'm now being asked to believe that this kid turned down all other offers to sign with Marquette knowing there was a chance he would get cut if another kid was signed.....WTF....why on earth would a kid do that?  Why would a kid (his family, his coaches) allow a kid to sign a NLI, eliminating all of his options, knowing he could get cut before he stepped on campus day one?

Why?

BECAUSE IT WAS HIS ONLY HIGH-MAJOR OFFER!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
Simple Navin, kids signs NLI you honor that commitment.  He plays year one, is a team member.  That's what I mean.  It's not that hard.

Of course its conveniently that black and white for you when the coach in question is Buzz Williams...What if the kid doesn't hold up his end? What if he's not likely to succeed, academically, athletically, personally? Is MU serving his best interest by bringing him in even if they don't believe he's a good fit? If they are upfront with him all along, and make it very clear such a move is a possibility, who's at fault for signing that NLI? You not surprisingly are choosing to give the benefit of the doubt to the player we no very little about, while others are willing to give it to the coach who clearly has earned it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
Maybe. Everyone has a right to be skeptical.

Yet, over six weeks ago, I was spot on when I wrote that Newbill would not be at Marquette.  :-\

I tip my cap to you on your prediction of 6 weeks ago.  I called you out about the merit of what you posted  - that Newbill wouldn't be coming to MU- so I owe you an apology.....Though it didn't quite play out like you'd indicated..fact is Newbill isn't coming to MU this year.  Having said this, it is amazing you would have been in the know 6 weeks ago, yet no one in the Newbill camp was aware of this until yesterday.  It is ironic that Philly Coach showed up posting on this board - just at the time you were stating DJ wouldn't be coming to MU...and Brad Forester started posting DJ videos working out, etc..at that very same time.  I'm not sure what your relationship is with the MU Basketball program - but whatever the case..it would seem that there would be no good reason for an insider to know about a situation like this..without the player having any clue about it being a possibility???  Thoughts?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »
These are the facts that have been presented to me from the Newbill side:

1) Scott Monarch phones Stan Laws today to ask about DJ's MU application.
2) Coach Laws informs Scott he will have DJ complete the application immediately.
3) Monarch responds by saying Buzz is no longer certain of DJ's commitment to the program and questions whether Newbill will be dependable considering the application has yet to be completed.
4) After probing Scott further to get past what Stan considered a convenient excuse for Marquette to release DJ, Monarch informs Stan that all along he's been the only coach on staff who believes DJ's skills are Big East caliber.
5) Scott tells Stan that Buzz has decided to go another direction and he needs DJ to sign a form requesting his release from Marquette.  (Remember, DJ had already signed on the dotted line)

From what I have surmised, DJ may have been a bit late in completing the final application for official MU enrollment and the failure to submit the application was used as a way for the BB team to sever ties with him.  DJ had asked Stan just a few weeks ago why his friends were receiving calls from representatives of their respective universities, but he had heard nothing from Marquette.  In being presented the Newbill camp's side of the story it sure sounds like DJ was no longer in Marquette's plans, and after some additional probing by Stan Laws, Scott Monarch admitted as much.  DJ's family is devastated and it's awfully late in the game to try and latch on somewhere else.  It's highly disappointing that Buzz asked one of his assistant coaches to call Stan with the gut wrenching news and subsequently leave it to Stan to relay that news to DJ.  Again, this is Coach Laws version of what transpired today.

Lest we forget...

Character revealed...

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2015, 07:47:37 AM »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »
Playing summer ball with Doc.  Hope he signed that contract.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2015/6/27/8856601/penn-state-basketball-d-j-newbill-los-angeles-clippers

DJ plays for a MU Alum
Frank the Tank goes to Charlotte
Larry Nance, Jr plays with Kobe
Bobby Portis is a Bull

Life has a funny way of working out
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback