[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill No Longer Marquette Material  (Read 40603 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill No Longer Marquette Material
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »
We really need Rosiak right now to let us know whats up.  
 I think we have a lot of unconfirmed rumors at this time and nothing more. No need to get overheated quite yet. Has there been an actual statement from Newbill, Wilson, or MU on any of this?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:17:22 AM by ATWizJr »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »
The only thing that will make me happy about this is if Newbill goes to prep school this year and resigns with MU in November. Otherwise it really stinks'

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 09:09:31 AM »
The only thing that will make me happy about this is if Newbill goes to prep school this year and resigns with MU in November. Otherwise it really stinks'

+1
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 09:17:08 AM »
That's not happening. Buzz has raised the bar on recruits and likely to aim higher, especially with only 3 open schollies next year.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 09:32:27 AM »
As long as we are speculating (and that is all we can do because MU probably can’t officially comment on this anyway) how about this for a scenario that explains everything.
   The coaching staff has known for a long time that for some reason, maybe grades maybe missing a requirement etc, that Newbill will be unlikely to be able to enroll at MU this year.  Hence the comment from Buzz several weeks back that “one or more recruits will go to prep school.”  They wait for the application knowing that if things don’t change it is going to be rejected by MU and Newbill will need to go to prep school.  However they keep the LOI in place because it stops other 4 year colleges with lower entrance requirements from recruiting Newbill.  Once he goes Prep the LOI is canceled anyway but that might not happen until he enrolls somewhere in late summer to late for other colleges to sign him.  The staff figured Newbill will simply be re-recruited for next year’s class.  Now with the signing of Wilson the position Newbill would have come in to fill next year is filled by Wilson.  For MU this is a bird in the hand and given Wilson’s talent they have to take it.  Now it no longer makes sense to “park” Newbill at a prep school since they probably can’t take him anyway next year.  Those other scholarships need to be used for a potential point guard (which Buzz has even mentioned he might be looking for in the next class) and the elusive big man power forward.  So at this point they cut Newbill loose which at least gives him a shot at enrolling in a 4 year this coming fall if he wants to.  It’s certainly not the cleanest deal but it’s not nearly as “mean spirited” as what some posters are making it out to be.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
Well, Newbill could always attend Oregon... I hear they have some openings... :-\

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
Let the whole story come out.  A recruit is not coming.  A transfer is coming.  Thats all we really know.  Everything else is speculation. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 09:50:57 AM »
Let the whole story come out.  A recruit is not coming.  A transfer is coming.  Thats all we really know.  Everything else is speculation. 

I would only add that many weeks (months?) ago Buzz publicly stated that a recruit would not be coming. I think many of us assumed that had changed with Mbao's departure, but perhaps that is not the case.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »
As long as we are speculating (and that is all we can do because MU probably can’t officially comment on this anyway) how about this for a scenario that explains everything.
   The coaching staff has known for a long time that for some reason, maybe grades maybe missing a requirement etc, that Newbill will be unlikely to be able to enroll at MU this year.  Hence the comment from Buzz several weeks back that “one or more recruits will go to prep school.”  They wait for the application knowing that if things don’t change it is going to be rejected by MU and Newbill will need to go to prep school.  However they keep the LOI in place because it stops other 4 year colleges with lower entrance requirements from recruiting Newbill.  Once he goes Prep the LOI is canceled anyway but that might not happen until he enrolls somewhere in late summer to late for other colleges to sign him.  The staff figured Newbill will simply be re-recruited for next year’s class.  Now with the signing of Wilson the position Newbill would have come in to fill next year is filled by Wilson.  For MU this is a bird in the hand and given Wilson’s talent they have to take it.  Now it no longer makes sense to “park” Newbill at a prep school since they probably can’t take him anyway next year... It’s certainly not the cleanest deal but it’s not nearly as “mean spirited” as what some posters are making it out to be.

You did a much better job laying out the scenario than I did in another thread, but there is no doubt in my mind that this is very close to what actually took place, despite the claims of how badly Newbill was wronged. How so many here can quickly move to the point of disappointment in Buzz, based on very limited knowledge of the situation is beyond me. There is nothing to indicate that he was not completely upfront and honest throughout whatever process took place, yet what I have read here is far too many people giving the benefit of the doubt to a guy nobody has ever met or spoken to, posting something on this board, as opposed to Buzz, who I would say has earned that benefit of the doubt to this point.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
You did a much better job laying out the scenario than I did in another thread, but there is no doubt in my mind that this is very close to what actually took place, despite the claims of how badly Newbill was wronged. How so many here can quickly move to the point of disappointment in Buzz, based on very limited knowledge of the situation is beyond me. There is nothing to indicate that he was not completely upfront and honest throughout whatever process took place, yet what I have read here is far too many people giving the benefit of the doubt to a guy nobody has ever met or spoken to, posting something on this board, as opposed to Buzz, who I would say has earned that benefit of the doubt to this point.
A lot of us are just saying we can't find a scenario where it comes out sneaky clean. So basically in the scenario above, we aren't letting a player that won't play for us be tied to a LOI that won't be honored by either and preventing him signing with other schools until we recruit over him?

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
All I know is whether MU is to blame or not, lately we have had a negative light when it comes to new recruits.  This is getting old now.  First Roseboro, then Maymon, then Yous, and now Newbill.  This seems like a lot of negative publicity for MU recruiting regardless of the situations at hand.  Does anyone else feel this way?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2010, 10:41:22 AM »
A lot of us are just saying we can't find a scenario where it comes out sneaky clean. So basically in the scenario above, we aren't letting a player that won't play for us be tied to a LOI that won't be honored by either and preventing him signing with other schools until we recruit over him?

Why would we want to come out "sneaky clean"? Amazingly, the post goes downhill after that.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2010, 10:43:41 AM »
Does anyone else feel this way?

You choose to look at it from the perspective of the guys that are not arriving/remaining at MU, while I look at it from the perspective of those that are. When you look at the players that are choosing to come to MU, I'm not sure how anyone can conclude that MU has had a negative light when it comes to new recruits.

When you get right down to it, perhaps leaving Newbill out for the moment, can anyone conclude that any of those guys would be better off riding the bench (at best) at MU, vs. potentially going elsewhere and having a chance to play, fit in better, succeed academically, etc?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »
Anyone can call it what you want, I didn't like DJ as a player in what I was reading. I'll take Wilson over Newbill anyday. He is a big boy, he'll be fine.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
So basically in the scenario above, we aren't letting a player that won't play for us be tied to a LOI that won't be honored by either and preventing him signing with other schools until we recruit over him?

Again, assuming this is the case, for there to be anything wrong with it, you have to conclude that Buzz and staff were not forthcoming with the player from the very beginning and throughout. If anyone has anything to suggest or even suspect that is the case, I'd love to hear what it is.

I think its also time to stop pretending that players and their families have no ability to assess a situation and make decisions. Nobody is forcing these players to choose MU. They are making that decision, and if there is writing on the wall, or known, communicated  risks that they choose to ignore, then that's on them when they are realized.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »
All I know is whether MU is to blame or not, lately we have had a negative light when it comes to new recruits.  This is getting old now.  First Roseboro, then Maymon, then Yous, and now Newbill.  This seems like a lot of negative publicity for MU recruiting regardless of the situations at hand.  Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes. I think the "negative publicity" surrounding the recruitments of Jimmy Butler, Chris OTule, DJO, Dwight Buycks, Joe Fulce, Erik Williams, Jae Crowder, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith, Junior Cadougan, Davante Gardner and Vander Blue have done irreparable damage to MU from which we're unlikely to recover.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
No. 

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
I have had direct contact with both Stan Laws (DJ's coach and mentor) and DJ himself.  I don't have Marquette's account of how this unfolded and I probably never will.  Let me be as succinct as possible.  The coach and the student athlete feel wronged here.  Period.  

I am only reporting what I know from the DJ Newbill side. Throughout this process DJ and his coach had nothing but great things to say about Marquette and its basketball program.  They were blindsided yesterday by an assistant coach.  Buzz did not call Stan or DJ to relay the disheartening news.  That is the most disturbing part of this calamity.  Again, I don't pretend to know Buzz's side of this, but when you portray yourself as a guy of high moral fiber and estimable character YOU need to make the phone call to DJ and his family no matter how difficult it may be.  

Where am I wrong here?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »
If Brad's account of this is correct, I will be disappointed in how things were handled.  Of course, we are getting only one side of things, however, for the kid and those around him, perception is reality.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
Again, I don't pretend to know Buzz's side of this, but when you portray yourself as a guy of high moral fiber and estimable character YOU need to make the phone call to DJ and his family no matter how difficult it may be.  

Where am I wrong here?

I really don't understand why Buzz had to be that guy.  From your accounts, it sounds like Monarch is and has been the main contact and primary recruiter for Newbill.  Why wouldn't Monarch be the guy then to break the news?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »
Again, I don't pretend to know Buzz's side of this, but when you portray yourself as a guy of high moral fiber and estimable character YOU need to make the phone call to DJ and his family no matter how difficult it may be.  

Why? By all account the assistant had more of a relationship anyway. To suggest Buzz didn't want to make that call because it would be a difficult call is laughable.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2010, 11:19:32 AM »
Brad: Did you speak directly with DJ since yesterday? If so, did he confirm that there have been discussions of him going to prep school throughout the recruitment? If so, which prep school was the intended prep school?

I have had direct contact with both Stan Laws (DJ's coach and mentor) and DJ himself.  I don't have Marquette's account of how this unfolded and I probably never will.  Let me be as succinct as possible.  The coach and the student athlete feel wronged here.  Period.  

I am only reporting what I know from the DJ Newbill side. Throughout this process DJ and his coach had nothing but great things to say about Marquette and its basketball program.  They were blindsided yesterday by an assistant coach.  Buzz did not call Stan or DJ to relay the disheartening news.  That is the most disturbing part of this calamity.  Again, I don't pretend to know Buzz's side of this, but when you portray yourself as a guy of high moral fiber and estimable character YOU need to make the phone call to DJ and his family no matter how difficult it may be.  

Where am I wrong here?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2010, 11:20:25 AM »
someone asked me a question saying what number will dj wear in the fall. I gave them a true answer he wont be attending mu in the fall. This is a fact no one at mu told dj he is no longer wanted at mu. I was asked to relay the message from buzz by scott. Its as simple as that. Dj is qualified and scot gave no real reason and that fine life goes on and the healing begins for this kid. And yes i coached dj this past season and let the team to a 23 an 0 record before being removed by the principal because she was jealous the success she thought i was having. Its never about me but all about the kids. Coached dj since 8th grade and volunteered at strawberry mansion as a asst until last year. I took over as a volunteer iterim head coach until that fiasco. Read the articles if u must know.

First off all, the "I got fired because my boss is jealous" excuse is complete bullsh** in my opinion.  Such a petty remark.   And if it truly is about the kids, then why even make such an arrogant statement in the prior sentence?  I would expect a little more graciousness from an ordained minister.

Secondly, it seems that Brad Forster is a little too close to the DJ Newbill camp to be providing an impartial opinion of the situation (judging by how much he has talked up DJ over the past few months).  I loved the guy's Walk it Out video with Buzz, but he's not exactly an insider.  Plus, he himself admitted that he's only telling one side of the story.

I'm sorry... this whole thing just doesn't fly with me.  Even if the missing application is a petty excuse, it's still legitimate.  But I find it highly doubtful that the first mention of the application was made yesterday... chances are MU has been asking for a couple months.

Buuuuut.... since we're speculating, here's my conspiracy theory: the Newbill camp has been trying to leverage the MU offer with another school (or schools) and was able to obtain a verbal commitment from a school closer to Philly contingent upon DJ obtaining a release from MU.  MU agreed to the release but asked for the standard prohibition on Big East transfers.  Newbill camp wasn't pleased with this (likely because the new destination is also Big East), and has been sitting on this issue for quite some time.  Newbill's camp finally broke their silence yesterday when Scott was asked to make a "WTF?" / "Deliver the Ultimatum" call to Laws.  The transfer request out of Duckland is purely coincidental & Brad is being suckered in.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
The transfer request out of Duckland is purely coincidental & Brad is being suckered in.
Don't buy that for a second myself, but at the same time... who knows?!  No one knows for sure what just went down exactly other than DJ Newbill is not coming to MU and Wilson is.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »
He sounds like a good kid and works hard.  I’m not trying to be negative at all towards Newbill.   But ever since this kid agreed to attend MU, I’ve seen numerous posts from Brad Forester and Philly Coach singing his praises.  Just a little odd, considering we don’t see this kind of post hype from other recruits we sign. 
It almost seemed like they were still trying hard to sell us on DJ after he already had been “committed.”    If he was that good it would have come out on the court.  Maybe he’s not Big East material and the Newbill camp knew all along he was option B in case whatever guy we had waiting in the wings  didn’t sign. 

feedback