[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill No Longer Marquette Material  (Read 40592 times)

ron burgundy

• Walk-On
Re: DJ Newbill No Longer Marquette Material
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »
I wouldn't exactly call that a convenient excuse.

...this, coming from someone posting under the name 'Jamil_toMU10'...

This is clearly a convenient excude. Under the scenario that Brad Forster posted above, remove the name DJ Newbill and replace it with Harrison Barnes. Im not so sure the end result would be the same, would it? Besides, let's say, hypothetically, that the MU coaching staff signs a player to fill DJ's scholarship for the upcoming season. At this point in time, this future player/student has not filled out an application and mailed it in, either. So, either way, an application will be coming in late.

Phill coach, Is there any way you can play hardball and stick it to the MU staff? What if DJ didnt fillout the release form and mail it back? Im assuming that he wouldnt be able to attend regardless since the coach wouldnt want him around. But this may also prevent MU from signing a different player right away. Why do I have a feeling MU will be far more proactive in making sure DJ fills out the release form than they were about him filling out the application? Show them some Philly love.

Either way, I cant imagine MU will be recruiting another player from Philly anytime soon.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 12:26:39 AM »
ron, head back to the badger board and let the facts come out. 

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
Agreed-you can bet that if Vander or some other recruit they really wanted hadn't filled out an app,it would have been filled out for him to just sign his name. At best, poor communication by Buzz. At worst, he doesn't walk the walk. For a guy who puts himself out there as much as buzz does for being so virtuous, I really hope he's not a fraud. In the long run-something like this could kill credibility and end up hurting recruiting. Sad if true.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 12:33:12 AM »

This is clearly a convenient excude. Under the scenario that Brad Forster posted above, remove the name DJ Newbill and replace it with Harrison Barnes. Im not so sure the end result would be the same, would it? Besides, let's say, hypothetically, that the MU coaching staff signs a player to fill DJ's scholarship for the upcoming season. At this point in time, this future player/student has not filled out an application and mailed it in, either. So, either way, an application will be coming in late.

Phill coach, Is there any way you can play hardball and stick it to the MU staff? What if DJ didnt fillout the release form and mail it back? Im assuming that he wouldnt be able to attend regardless since the coach wouldnt want him around. But this may also prevent MU from signing a different player right away. Why do I have a feeling MU will be far more proactive in making sure DJ fills out the release form than they were about him filling out the application? Show them some Philly love.

Either way, I cant imagine MU will be recruiting another player from Philly anytime soon.

You are really passionate about trashing Marquette's reputation and Jesuit values in your first few posts.  Retribution is a Jesuit value?  You want to draw out hateful comments?  Your post sounds like smart-alleck comments I used to make to my parents in high school, not thoughtful comments about a kid's future.  

We all wish DJ the best no matter what.  Very few people could be characterized as this post would suggest.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 02:13:34 AM »
i feel for the kid.  but he's allegedly thrilled to come to MU and application papers sit there uncompleted on the kitchen counter???  what's up with that?

Maybe because the plan was for him to go to prep school all along and there was no need to fill out the application?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 02:29:59 AM »

You are a joke man.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 03:29:24 AM »
I agree with Chicos. Commitment is a two-way street.
MU made a commitment to DJ by offering him a scholarship, which should be honored.
DJ made a commitment to MU by signing, but he should have shown it - if he was serious - by completing the application on time, like the other recruits.

I don't know the details but if what the posters close to the Newbill case are assumed to be telling the truth:

- How is it possible that he has not yet filed an application with the university? (A couple of posts already address this.)
- How can the university (specifically, the coaching staff) view that in a good light - seeing that other recruiting class members have filed theirs and are already on campus for workouts?

I don't like the smell of what went down - again, assuming everything aforementioned was true - but it sure weakens the DJ position if he had not even formally applied to MU. I know it may just be a formality, but if the rest of the class is at MU...and I'm sure the MU coaching staff has encouraged him to get it in...then someone can see why the staff might have waffled on DJ even coming to MU.

I do feel for DJ. I was excited for him to be at MU. I think MU can benefit from his skills. But for whatever reason...something started a domino effect.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:32:37 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »
Hoping that the facts come out SOON and that there is a reasonable explanation for all this. Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but the way it seems to have gone down leaves me feeling not as good about the program as I did yesterday. I just hope everyone on the MU end acted honorably.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 07:35:13 AM »
Again, we've all known for a while that a recruit was headed the prep school route due to grades.  It was also reported that it would all be known by July 1.  Is this the story that was expected???  Quite a coincidence if it's not.  If it's not a coincidence, then something else will be going down soon...

You are expected to arrive on campus in a week, and I assume attend the second session of summer school.  Would you not have already registered for a class, let alone send in an application to attend?  Would you not know that this ProAm was going to take place?  Either from a coach or returning players?  It's been all over the news.  I thought you were talking frequently with other incoming freshman, who are already registered to play in this thing? 

Something's not right about this, and one side can't tell their version...

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
Again, we've all known for a while that a recruit was headed the prep school route due to grades.

It wasn't necessarily known that it would be due to grades.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:30 AM »
I have to say I am disappointed in many here who are already disappointed in Buzz and the MU program, for what? Because of one version of events that may or may not have happened? As everyone knows, there are two sides to every story and the truth generally falls somewhere in between. Yet, we have heard one side of the story thus far...sort of, and people have a lesser opinion of Buzz.

Could everything that has been submitted thus far be 100% true? Sure. Is that likely the case? Not from where I'm sitting.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 08:18:39 AM »
I have to say I am disappointed in many here who are already disappointed in Buzz and the MU program, for what? Because of one version of events that may or may not have happened? As everyone knows, there are two sides to every story and the truth generally falls somewhere in between. Yet, we have heard one side of the story thus far...sort of, and people have a lesser opinion of Buzz.

Could everything that has been submitted thus far be 100% true? Sure. Is that likely the case? Not from where I'm sitting.

Like Robert Evans said, there are three sides to every story: Your side, my side, and the truth.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »
I guess it may not be for grades, but it has been known for a while that someone was going.  If it wasn't DJ, then we should be hearing some more news real soon on another one not coming.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 08:22:45 AM »
What I don't get is how this could legally happen so quickly?

In a matter of a day, Wilson asks for his release, finds out there is an upcoming opening at Marquette, decides to go to Marquette.

I don't get how Wilson can make that decision in less than 12 hours unless he knew beforehand that he would have an open spot at Marquette. It just seems fishy and looks like Wilson knew when he asked for his release that Marquette could make a scholarship appear, which seems like a NCAA no-no.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
The only way this thing passes the smell test is if this is the recruit that Buzz was talking about when he said that one of the recruits was going to prep school, that it had been discussed with and agreed to by the recruit's family.    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 08:28:11 AM »

In a matter of a day, Wilson asks for his release, finds out there is an upcoming opening at Marquette, decides to go to Marquette.

I don't get how Wilson can make that decision in less than 12 hours unless he knew beforehand that he would have an open spot at Marquette. It just seems fishy and looks like Wilson knew when he asked for his release that Marquette could make a scholarship appear, which seems like a NCAA no-no.

Of course it didn't happen that quickly, so the question kind of becomes which was the chicken and which was the egg? Did both Wilson and particularly MU know there might be an open slot soon, and Wilson delayed doing anything until that happened? Or, did Wilson tell Buzz he wanted to come to MU, so Buzz had to create an open spot for him?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
 I'm interested in why DJ wasn't on campus with the rest of the guys?? I will hold back my judgement but there is something going on. Regardless of how this all pans out I hope DJ lands on his feet.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »
I'm interested in why DJ wasn't on campus with the rest of the guys?? I will hold back my judgement but there is something going on. Regardless of how this all pans out I hope DJ lands on his feet.

If he wasn't starting summer school until the second session starts, NCAA regulations might prevent MU from providing him benefits until he actually starts classes.  Wasn't that the case for Junior and Yous last year?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »
Of course it didn't happen that quickly, so the question kind of becomes which was the chicken and which was the egg? Did both Wilson and particularly MU know there might be an open slot soon, and Wilson delayed doing anything until that happened? Or, did Wilson tell Buzz he wanted to come to MU, so Buzz had to create an open spot for him?

Is Wilson allowed to have contact with MU officials since his coach got fired? Or is this a thing where Wilson is hanging out with some of the players and hears rumors about an opening? It just seems prearranged which does not seem like a good thing.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »

Agree,

I find it amusing how when Buzz does everything right we need to give it 3 to 5 years but when something is perceived as negative the damnation starts immediately. Having said that there are quite a few "if this is true" qualifiers in the posts. We need to wait and see how this plays out, way too much speculation to make a rational decision.

Warrior2k13

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 08:45:35 AM »

I think NCAA basketball teams often try to convince a player so highly touted as Wilson when he transfers. We knew he was gonna transfer, and Buzz may have done this, but in the end the talent level of this team went up. Still is some sad news for Newbill, but was it legal? Absolutely

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 08:47:08 AM »
Having said that there are quite a few "if this is true" qualifiers in the posts. We need to wait and see how this plays out, way too much speculation to make a rational decision.

+1

It just seems prearranged which does not seem like a good thing.

Or who knows was Marquette protecting itself from DJ getting interest from other schools. I'm not sure on all the rules or obligations each has but everything will come out, and if we learned anything from the Maymon fiasco its that some of us need to not jump to conclusions and make false accusations or stories.

There are real people involved and everyone involved reads what is written here like it or not.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
We really need Rosiak right now to let us know whats up. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
Forget Rosiak, just call Buzz's cell phone.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 08:59:58 AM »
Forget Rosiak, just call Buzz's cell phone.

Unless your number's already saved in his phone, he doesn't answer it, according to what he said at the BBQ.

:D
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle