[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can you imagine internet message boards in 1977  (Read 24401 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Can you imagine internet message boards in 1977
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »
I don't think the story is made up.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »

I concur.  Cords has talked openly about how TC openly embraced MU's heritage, esp Al........Deane, KO and Dukiet never did.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »
What story?

PRN...Didn't Al talk openly about his great relationship with the Senator, Herb Kohl?    ;)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »

Ok, well then Crean may not be perfect, but if Al (who you seem to hold in extremely high regard) thinks Crean is the right man for the job, why do you doubt his every move?

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 12:24:25 PM »
On the way to South Bend this weekend, I played the Al McGuire interview conducted by the moderator of the Scout board. The interview took place in 1999, and maybe some of you heard it. Al didn't talk a lot about basketball, but he did discuss Crean, who was just hired. He said that in this day and age there are some programs that can't make the Final Four and coaches should avoid those jobs. He said Northwestern and a few other schools. He didn't mention us, but I really felt he was alluding to the fact that we would be in that group. He said he thought Crean would be very successful, but any sign of success couldn't happen until the third year since he had no scholarships to give (he was right on as 2002 was our breakout year). He also said that he thought Crean would be doing a great job if he could get us to the Sweet Sixteen once every four years.

I think it's interesting to look out how everyone's expectations have just skyrocketed since 2003. It's not a bad thing, but expectations are dangerous. Most of you need to remind yourselves that you are not the reason this basketball program has enjoyed recent success. Tom Crean is the reason. We play in the Big East conference, which is pretty damn exciting. But, with a great conference affiliation comes a certain degree of failure. You're going to lose games. In any given year, a great team may win 12 or 13 games in the Big East. But, you're talking about championship-level squads, and we have to all admit that we're not quite there yet. But, we're a hell of a lot closer than we were a decade ago. Did anyone think our Big East record would be 19-12 in the last two years? I mean, if Vegas had odds on that, they would have been something like 50-1 or higher.

I guess I'm just spewing the same pro-Crean propoganda, but I really think people need to stop and think hard about the state of affairs at MU. Remember where things were during the last two Deane years. Those were my first two years on campus and basketball games were B-O-R-I-N-G. The team was boring. Mike Deane calling three timeouts before the first media timeout was boring. This is no disrespect to the players of that era, because they did the best they could. I didn't follow the team through the Dukiet years, but if I did, I imagine I'd just be eternally grateful that we're a competitive team in a great conference. That's the end of my rant.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:25:56 PM by MarquetteVol »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
LOL....Mu Ra-ra's thread is 6 years too late

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
Some interesting stuff here.   Chico's and 84/Equalizer have been consistent in their defense of Crean.   Guns n Ammo is consistent in his defense of the head coach.  PRN has been consistent in his dislike of Crean. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
Some interesting stuff here.   Chico's and 84/Equalizer have been consistent in their defense of Crean.   Guns n Ammo is consistent in his defense of the head coach.  PRN has been consistent in his dislike of Crean. 

and hoopaloop/Chico is still hoopaloopin'

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
Best is reading a Marquette84 post.  Strange because the posts went from attacking those who were negative to nowadays attacking those who are positive.  Hmm... what could be the difference between that team and this team for Marquette84?

Just can't seem to figure it out.  8-)

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
There was one helluva lot of criticism of Al that final year. Neary starting over Toone was the big complaint but Al was very stubborn about that. Al also checked out mentally during that season and blew off a lot of practices. Sometimes, the team did not see him from one game until the next--I think this was after they started losing. Many people said Hank was better and looked forward to the change at the end of the season. People forget this stuff because Al won it all. Al was a little crazy but he was a crazy genius. He would have made this board absolutely unreadable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
and hoopaloop/Chico is still hoopaloopin'

Nah.

I remember vividly starting a thread about 1977 and the internet, so when I saw today's thread I just had to find it.  Hoop will be at the DePaul game he tells me.  Why don't you guys get together?  Meanwhile, I missed you in Anaheim, would have been nice to say hello.  Maybe Old Spice next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
This thread was one of the most epic things I have ever read
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Al didn't sneak out of town in the middle of the night, That's the difference between him and the blowhard in Bloomington

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »
Gato

Not one person with inside knowledge or basketball knowledge ever were wishing for Hank era to start. Al checking out? Al checked in and out on a daily basis, but never lost sight of the upper five seats in the corner being filled.

Al would have made this board completely readable because never a day passed that he was not in the spotlight. Followed the team a long time like many on here, but back then or now I could not tell you a person that did not wait to hear or see what h did next.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 07:37:37 PM »
There was one helluva lot of criticism of Al that final year. Neary starting over Toone was the big complaint but Al was very stubborn about that. Al also checked out mentally during that season and blew off a lot of practices. Sometimes, the team did not see him from one game until the next--I think this was after they started losing. Many people said Hank was better and looked forward to the change at the end of the season. People forget this stuff because Al won it all. Al was a little crazy but he was a crazy genius. He would have made this board absolutely unreadable.

I think the hiring of Hank was a huge mistake. Loved Hank, was on the Athletic Board with him. Marquette was a marquee program and Al should have been followed by a marquee hire. I know folks wont like this, but the beginning of the end started with Hank. He did absolutely nothing wrong, don't misunderstand my point. He just was not the guy to follow Al. Hank was not a band leader, Al was. We needed another maestro to run the program.

I can guarantee this board would be in full meltdown in 1974 with Al's two technicals against NC State.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »
79Warrior

Really think a meltdown in '74 after the technicals? You probably are right, but that one was stacked against us. Al pulled crazy stuff and even though in '76 it was more stacked against us I was more upset after Indiana game the NC State.

You point on Hank and the hire is right on target.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
Hank following Al = Guthrie following Dean Smith.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
Hank following Al = Guthrie following Dean Smith.

Arlo Guthrie following Woody.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »
Gary Cherone following Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
The bigger problem followin' Al's retirement lies with the administration. Completely dropped the ball followin' a National Championship. WTF?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »

Agreed, believe a bond was developed as Crean embraced Al/MUBB history unlike immediate predecessors.  Thought perhaps there was an emotional bond that would keep Crean at MU, but then something else got in the way....

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
79Warrior

Really think a meltdown in '74 after the technicals? You probably are right, but that one was stacked against us. Al pulled crazy stuff and even though in '76 it was more stacked against us I was more upset after Indiana game the NC State.

You point on Hank and the hire is right on target.

Goose,

I forgot about that Indiana game. Damn Benson.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
You couldn't be more right. All of Al's techniques are cheered and romanticized today, but let's face it: a lot of people hated him, including his own players....Al stood on the scorers table while people flipped him the finger!

One of the greatest moments in MU basketball history.  And I don't recall MU players hating him; only Badger fans and two Bucky twins' dad.   ;D

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
Best is reading a Marquette84 post.  Strange because the posts went from attacking those who were negative to nowadays attacking those who are positive.  Hmm... what could be the difference between that team and this team for Marquette84?

Just can't seem to figure it out.  8-)

That is hysterical. A complete 180

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
Not a complete 180.   Incredibly consistent.   Anything Crean does = good.   Anything Buzz does = find the negative angle.