Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next MU HOF inductees--who is your favorite?  (Read 6211 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Next MU HOF inductees--who is your favorite?
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:24:35 AM »
Today, coffee discussions turned to Guy V Lewis' continued snub from Naismith BB HOF, and it also turned to Tex Winters, former MU coach, credited with Phil Jacksons "triangle offense" -- both are deserving of induction.

With Lazar moving on, and legacies on the mind---

Who are next guys that should go into MU hall of fame(Crean and Wade in'09)?

Lazar?
Jerrel?
Dominic?
Wes?
Travis D.?
Novak?

Tex Winter?

Jim Boylan?

Chris Farley(for stuntwork in Tommy Boy, and on SNL)?

Buzz' ice tea cup?

Pick' em, rate'em, add your own.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Next MU HOF inductees--who is your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 04:39:32 AM »
Of that list.

1) Mcneal- because of scoring record
2) Travis- warrior of a player, one of the best shooters ever at MU
3) Novak-best shooter ever at MU, perhaps the best the state of Wisconsin has ever seen.  Hit 97% of FT his senior year.  big player in MU getting to final four
4) Lazar-great productive MU career, not much postseason success though
5) Wes-not elite production until senior year at MU- is mentally better than probably most on this list which has allowed him to persevere in the NBA
6) Dominic- career somewhat fizzled toward end, if he ever developed into a better shooter he could have been elite but he just wasn't born with it.  Gained a lot of respect for him though as a person his senior year. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:48 AM »
Just to clarify...Tom Crean is NOT in the MU HOF. Dwyane Wade was inducted in 2009, along with the 2003 team. Crean was not inducted.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure any of the people Stone Cold listed deserve HOF induction.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:20:56 AM »
Just to clarify...Tom Crean is NOT in the MU HOF. Dwyane Wade was inducted in 2009, along with the 2003 team. Crean was not inducted.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure any of the people Stone Cold listed deserve HOF induction.
Is only your point that because 2003 team was inducted, with Crean as coach, my parenthetical is deceptive?
point taken, thanks, but it seems a bit  cynical on the point of Stone Cold in ranking Jerrel McNeal---he is MU's all  time career leading scorer --doesnt he deserve the HOF, as much as Tony Smith, or ...say, George Andrie? I dont see this as Cooperstown.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:42:11 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
Is only your point that because 2003 team was inducted, with Crean as coach, my parenthetical is deceptive?
point taken, thanks, but it seems a bit  cynical on the point of Stone Cold in ranking Jerrel McNeal---he is MU's all  time career leading scorer --doesnt he deserve the HOF, as much as Tony Smith, or ...say, George Andrie? I dont see this as Cooperstown.

I honestly don't know who George Andrie is, so I wouldn't pretend to know. I'd say, of the players listed, Diener is the most deserving, but (as with any HOF) should have to wait several years. Wade is the exception to that rule.

I'd love to see a list of MU men's basketball players in the MU HOF. I will never see McNeal as an "all time great," despite the number of points he scored. Diener, I do consider an all-timer and the 2003 FF has a lot to do with that.

As for Stone Cold's list, the reasoning behind most of those are stretches at best. Matthews: "mentally better than most?" If you need to reach like that, you're probably answering your own question about HOF worthiness.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
That's your problem.   While Jerel was at times a turnover machine, all time leading scorer by definition puts him in the hall of fame.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
I honestly don't know who George Andrie is, so I wouldn't pretend to know. I'd say, of the players listed, Diener is the most deserving, but (as with any HOF) should have to wait several years. Wade is the exception to that rule.

I'd love to see a list of MU men's basketball players in the MU HOF. I will never see McNeal as an "all time great," despite the number of points he scored. Diener, I do consider an all-timer and the 2003 FF has a lot to do with that.

As for Stone Cold's list, the reasoning behind most of those are stretches at best. Matthews: "mentally better than most?" If you need to reach like that, you're probably answering your own question about HOF worthiness.

You should have noticed that the list was houwarrior's and I gave an order of chance for each of those players. 

Dom, Jerel, and Wes shouldn't get in because they didn't accomplish enough in conference or post season. 

However Jerel will most likely get in because he's scored the most points in Marquette history.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
Here's an oxymoron:

Crean and the Hall of Fame

Why would he even be in the discussion?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »
That's your problem.   While Jerel was at times a turnover machine, all time leading scorer by definition puts him in the hall of fame.   

Where is that definition?  

Jerel was a 4 year player, vs GT, a 3 year player.  I'm having a hard time putting Jerel in the same bracket as Butch Lee, Earl Tatum, Wade, and a couple others.  He belongs in the HOF, but not "by definition".

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:46:16 AM »
So, we disagree.    oops.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »
Dom, Jerel, and Wes shouldn't get in because they didn't accomplish enough in conference or post season. 

Yet you're willing to put Diener in? I know he was on the FF team (as a role player), but when he was "the man," he could only get the team to the NIT.  I'd actually rank Novak above Diener.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
I think the all time leading scorer deserves to be in the HOF, by definition.  A second team All-American (which means top 10 players in the country) also is almost an automatic HOF qualifier.  Don't retire that jersey, though.  Gotta win something besides a first round NCAA game for that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
Yet you're willing to put Diener in? I know he was on the FF team (as a role player), but when he was "the man," he could only get the team to the NIT.  I'd actually rank Novak above Diener.

Never said I think Diener should go...I simply ranked the players houwarrior listed as to their credentials to get in, not that they should/will or shouldn't/won't.

Damn people, pay attention. 

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »
I say retire the #34 in honor of Tony Smith, Jimmy Mac, and Travis.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
I say retire the #34 in honor of Tony Smith, Jimmy Mac, and Travis.

In Houston--no. 34 is our most historic/best player number:
Hakeem Olajuwon--UH/Rockets
Earl Campbell--UT/Oilers
Nolan Ryan-- Alvin HS/Astros(also Rangers)

Every Team listed has retired number 34

Charles Barkley had no 34 retired with both Philly and Phoenix--with the Rockets...he just played, as if he was already retired--lol
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:00:08 PM by houwarrior »

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »

Who are next guys that should go into MU hall of fame(Crean and Wade in'09)?

There is no way Tom Crean should be admitted to the MU HoF. His betrayal eliminates Him from any further or future consideration. The tone, manner and texture of His departure was nothing less than a slap to the face of Marquette. Suggestion: Leave His candidacy up to the members of His team who learned of His betrayal from ESPN. I think we know what the answer is. Think about public comments made by Wes and Lazar. Tom Crean is not in that conversation.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
There is no way Tom Crean should be admitted to the MU HoF. His betrayal eliminates Him from any further or future consideration. The tone, manner and texture of His departure was nothing less than a slap to the face of Marquette. Suggestion: Leave His candidacy up to the members of His team who learned of His betrayal from ESPN. I think we know what the answer is. Think about public comments made by Wes and Lazar. Tom Crean is not in that conversation.
agree. As pointed out above--the entire 2003 team, as a unit, incl Crean as its coach, is already in MU HOF(inducted--in'09)--no one considers him for such honor individually--its my error in the parenthetical--sorry

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
agree. As pointed out above--the entire 2003 team, as a unit, incl Crean as its coach, is already in MU HOF(inducted--in'09)--no one considers him for such honor individually--its my error in the parenthetical--sorry

This is an excellent observation. Tom Crean is already enshrined but as a member of a team. Is there anything more ironic than that? He is not deserving of any individual honor. This is a person who has always helped Himself first; we should not feed that ego.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
For clarity, how does the 2003 Final Four team not include all members of the team into the HOF, including the Coaching Staff?

I don't think anyone is saying Crean or Buckley, or the walkons are inducted individually, but they sure would be inducted as part of that team.  Correct?

If not, incredibly petty on MU's part if this isn't the case.  You win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM.  And the team is everyone associated with it, players and coaches.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »
For clarity, how does the 2003 Final Four team not include all members of the team into the HOF, including the Coaching Staff?

I don't think anyone is saying Crean or Buckley, or the walkons are inducted individually, but they sure would be inducted as part of that team.  Correct?

If not, incredibly petty on MU's part if this isn't the case.  You win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM.  And the team is everyone associated with it, players and coaches.

I think the entire team was inducted, including Crean-who was specifically mentioned in the press release MU put out announcing the induction.

http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/051109aaa.html

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »

I don't think anyone is saying Crean or Buckley, or the walkons are inducted individually, but they sure would be inducted as part of that team.  Correct?

If not, incredibly petty on MU's part if this isn't the case.  You win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM.  And the team is everyone associated with it, players and coaches.
It is a team induction--allowing all, and each of them(coaches, and players) to claim HOF status, but solely,... "I am in,..as a member of the 2003 team"...only Wade can also claim individual HOF member status.

http://www.gomarquette.com/hallfame/marq-hallfame.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:52:28 PM by houwarrior »

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
jerel and novak should because they had that killer instinct. They could take over a game whenever they wanted to.  karl malone, 2nd all time in points scored in the NBA, is in the Hall of fame and he didn't win any championships so i think jerel should be in the mu hall of fame.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Click to find out who George Andrie is....tsk, tsk

SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 01:57:40 AM »
It is a team induction--allowing all, and each of them(coaches, and players) to claim HOF status, but solely,... "I am in,..as a member of the 2003 team"...only Wade can also claim individual HOF member status.

Thanks (also to Jmayer1), that makes a ton more sense.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 02:02:45 AM »
Click to find out who George Andrie is....tsk, tsk

Didn't have to look it up....one of the great Dallas Cowboys, and that's saying something. Part of the Doomsday Defense that gave the Pokes a Super Bowl victory.  He was a multiple pro bowl player (5 or 6 times). 

I'd argue one of the top 5 defensive ends in Dallas Cowboys history.  Should be in the Ring of Honor.