'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Draft closing in for Hayward  (Read 3332 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Draft closing in for Hayward
« on: June 15, 2010, 12:15:03 AM »
Draft closing in for Hayward

So far, so good.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/96353384.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Draft closing in for Hayward
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
Bah!  Was a domer running the drill?

While 15 reps on the bench was good enough for 10th place at the combine, it was a highly disappointing number for Hayward, who holds the MU record with 26. Hayward said the person running the drill disallowed five or six of his reps because he apparently wasn't locking out his arms on those, or not adhering to the guidelines for a lift to be counted.

Notre Dame's Luke Harangody wound up with the most reps at 23.

"For sure. I was going to try to break the record," Hayward said. "I knew Harangody was going to get somewhere between 20 to 23, and I can do that. I was a little upset about that."

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
Interesting that he doesn't want anything to do with watching the draft or finding out immediately.  Hope he gets to find out good news that he was drafted.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:15 PM »
It actually makes much more sense that a number of his reps were disallowed. Zar is definitely bigger than 15 reps; I wouldn't be surprised at all if he weren't exaggerating a bit when he says he could have had in the mid-20s.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »
It actually makes much more sense that a number of his reps were disallowed. Zar is definitely bigger than 15 reps; I wouldn't be surprised at all if he weren't exaggerating a bit when he says he could have had in the mid-20s.
  Doesn't he already hold the MU record of 26?  Did you misstate your double negative?

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »
It'd be cool to be drafted, but as Wes showed us, it's not necessary to have a successful NBA rookie season. 

If Zar doesn't get drafted, I have faith that he'll continue to work hard and make an NBA roster anyway. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 04:56:23 AM »
It'd be cool to be drafted, but as Wes showed us, it's not necessary to have a successful NBA rookie season. 

If Zar doesn't get drafted, I have faith that he'll continue to work hard and make an NBA roster anyway. 

Except that I imagine that the number of players who ultimately get on a roster despite having not been drafted is quite low. Of course, getting drafted doesn't guarantee you'll get on a roster (as Matthews' former "teammate" in Utah Goran Suton shows).

All in all, I'd bet that a player has a better chance on being on a roster his first season of eligibility for the NBA by being drafted, even if finding the best fit for that player might be via free agency (a la Matthews).

I'd prefer to see Lazar get drafted. If not, I share your hope that he'll still work his way into the NBA.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:56:32 AM »
Except that I imagine that the number of players who ultimately get on a roster despite having not been drafted is quite low. Of course, getting drafted doesn't guarantee you'll get on a roster (as Matthews' former "teammate" in Utah Goran Suton shows).

I thought it was Suton's decision to not play in the NBA? I thought he had virtually made up his mind prior to the draft that he was going to play in Europe (and already had a contract in hand)?

Mike Deane

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:06 AM »
A second round draft is not a guaranteed as opposed to a first rounder in the Association.  If they don't sign you, they still own you...

However, being a second round draft sounds good.

In my mind, if LH is not in the first round, which sounds very realistic right now, the best is to go the same route as Wesley Mathews did as a free agent.  That way, LH can hook up with a team that suits his style of play, like the Spurs, with the help of his agent.

BTW, I think Suton was waived.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »
I thought it was Suton's decision to not play in the NBA? I thought he had virtually made up his mind prior to the draft that he was going to play in Europe (and already had a contract in hand)?

My recollection was that Suton was playing with Utah, and when he left (and I was sure he was 'cut,' but I could easily be wrong) it virtually guaranteed that Wesley would be on the roster at the beginning of the season. Then, I believe there was a date (in Feb?) at which Wesley was guaranteed to be paid for the full season, even if he was released. Then, when so-and-so (I'm not an NBA-fan so I can't say I paid any attention except for its impact on Wesley) was traded, it pretty much guaranteed that Wesley would be an important part of the rotation for the rest of the season.

Wow, thinking it through like that (and not even getting into what he went through just to make a team as a free agent), he really and truly took advantage of his opportunities, working hard to make things happen.

What a rookie season for him. Back to my original point, I'm not sure the chips would fall so well for Lazar (even though I fully believe he would work his butt off) if he does not get drafted.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:51 AM »
Wesley had an extraordinary amount of things go his way, coupled with his extremely hard work and willingness to take charges with Jerry Sloan watching summer ball to get where he is with the Jazz.