[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Izzo to the Cavs?  (Read 6489 times)

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
Izzo to the Cavs?
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »
Thoughts on if this will happen or not?

Also, I was wondering if we make the assumption that he leaves, where would that leave the MSU program?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:32:00 AM by GoldenWarrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Izzo to the Cavs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
maybe its just me, but I'd put a "?" at the end of the subject line.

I clicked the thread thinking it was a done deal.

edit: thanks :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:33:24 AM by Hards_Alumni »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I think he's gonna do it.

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
Here's the local paper's thoughts on who might replace Izzo (go ahead, click on the link.... and let the outrage begin!)

http://tiny.cc/w2bf2

The idea that he might actually leave has been gaining momentum here (southeastern MI) over the last couple of days.  Today, it was reported that he is not the only candidate for the job -- and I am thinking that will cool his interest.  To move from MSU, Izzo would need to be ordained rather than offered.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:39:01 AM by Marquette Mama »

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Izzo to the Cavs?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
Jamie Dixon doesn't want to coach in the B10, and has said as much... so cross him off that list.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »
I don't think he will leave--unless the Cavs offer him at least twice what he is making now--and then he might still stay. MSU will make a counteroffer to keep him.

Also, if he does leave, I am not buying that Crean will be the next coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »
I don't think he will leave--unless the Cavs offer him at least twice what he is making now--and then he might still stay. MSU will make a counteroffer to keep him.

Also, if he does leave, I am not buying that Crean will be the next coach.
Dan Gilbert (Cavs owner) will certainly pay the man.  I've heard Izzo makes about $3M per year now... Gilbert would certainly be willing to pay his head coach $6M+ per year if he believed in him (these r numbers off the top of my head that I recall hearing somewhere... no clue if they're actually accurate). I can see Izzo still turning down that much, but boy it would be tough for a lot of people to turn away from that.

I agree on Crean not being a replacement candidate.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »

Reports here (in Cleveland) are that the Cavs have offered him twice what he was making -- 5 years and $30 million.  That'll get your attention.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
So is LeBron for sure gone, or is he a factor in all of this? If Izzo is a negotiating tool with LeBron, and vice versa, and the money rumors are true, I;d say this is a done deal. Even if LeBron is out of the picture, that's a lot of coin.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 11:36:28 AM »
So is LeBron for sure gone, or is he a factor in all of this? If Izzo is a negotiating tool with LeBron, and vice versa, and the money rumors are true, I;d say this is a done deal. Even if LeBron is out of the picture, that's a lot of coin.
I don't think you can make the connection between LBJ's plans and Izzo here.  If anything, it would be that LBJ is staying if in fact Izzo signs.  I don't think you can say that if Izzo doesn't sign LBJ won't.  Just my opinion though.

That is a lot of money to turn down though.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »
Crean wouldn't go to MSU would he? Would they even consider him?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »

As long as they don't mind the Breslin Center getting burned down if they lose to Indiana at all ever.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »
I don't think MSU would hire him just because of his Izzo connection and past assistance.  He needs to put up or shut up at Indiana before he's considerred for a spot like that.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
6 million a year is alot of cash and I believe he is gone.

The Michigan State AD already has stated he can hire a candidate immediately, which seems to imply/suggest he has inside knowledge that Izzo is gone and he has already contacted the replacement.  Otherwise he would be in the deniable mode. I would guess Brad Stevens or Mark Few as the viable candidates at this point.  With all the conference re-alignments and now the Izzo rumors, at least there is something to discuss in the college basketball arena. 

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
this would be terrible for college basketball

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 03:46:10 PM »
6 million a year is alot of cash and I believe he is gone.

The Michigan State AD already has stated he can hire a candidate immediately, which seems to imply/suggest he has inside knowledge that Izzo is gone and he has already contacted the replacement.  Otherwise he would be in the deniable mode. I would guess Brad Stevens or Mark Few as the viable candidates at this point.  With all the conference re-alignments and now the Izzo rumors, at least there is something to discuss in the college basketball arena. 
I don't think the AD's comments imply he knows whats going to happen.  I think it simply means that they would be comfortable hiring one of Izzo's current assistants if it came to that and felt like they needed to quickly get someone in place.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »
Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Lane Kiffin, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, PJ Carlesimo, Mike Montgomery.     Stay where you are, Tom.   You are too intense to coach in the NBA. Twice as many games.   You will burn out.   You are not going to be able to get millionaires to put on shoulder pads for rebounding drills.   You are not going to be able to micromanage every offensive set.   You have a dynasty program that you have created.  $3 mil per year is plenty.    Stay where you are and continue on to legendary status. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »
Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Lane Kiffin, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, PJ Carlesimo, Mike Montgomery.     Stay where you are, Tom.   You are too intense to coach in the NBA. Twice as many games.   You will burn out.   You are not going to be able to get millionaires to put on shoulder pads for rebounding drills.   You are not going to be able to micromanage every offensive set.   You have a dynasty program that you have created.  $3 mil per year is plenty.    Stay where you are and continue on to legendary status. 

But you don't know what's driving him.  His motivations.  His goals.

He also knows that he can always get back into the college game with a real good gig if it doesn't work out.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »
Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Lane Kiffin, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, PJ Carlesimo, Mike Montgomery.    

I'm sorry, you are using those guys as reasons to STAY at MSU.

Lou Holtz - Old
Steve Spurrier - USC
Lane Kiffen - USC
Pitino - UofL
Calipari - UK
Carlesimo - NBA
Montgomery - Cal

As it stands today, those guys all have good jobs, and many are in jobs that are better than the ones they left, and have millions in the bank on top of it. I see little or no downside to him taking the job. No matter how flat he may fall on his face in the NBA, there will be a well paying, high-profile college job waiting for him whenever he wants to return.

BTW, who are you (or anyone else) to tell him how much money is enough?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »
$3 mil isn't enough?   I admire what Billy Donovan did a few years ago.   Maybe not the waffling, but the final decision.   IMO, stay where you have found happiness and success and build on that.   It needn't always be about the next job.   Sometimes, it should be about making the current position into the best it can be. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
$3 mil isn't enough?   I admire what Billy Donovan did a few years ago.   Maybe not the waffling, but the final decision.   IMO, stay where you have found happiness and success and build on that.   It needn't always be about the next job.   Sometimes, it should be about making the current position into the best it can be. 

But again, you dont know if Izzo is content at MSU or if he's feels its time to try something new.  Dont place your motivations and desires onto him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »
I don't know his motivations.   I assume if it was just about the money, he would have jumped the multiple other times the NBA has come calling.        There is something to be said for building and building on a legacy.   Also, I don't think his coaching style translates to the NBA.   It is worse suited than either Pitino's or Cal's.    So, IMO, it would be a mistake to go.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:16:16 AM by tower912 »

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »
I don't know his motivations.   I assume if it was just about the money, he would have jumped the multiple other times the NBA has come calling.        There is something to be said for building and building on a legacy.   Also, I don't think his coaching style translates to the NBA.   It is worse suited than either Pitino's or Cal's.    So, IMO, it would be a mistake to go.
I think it is probably a mix of money and the right situation for him.  The other jobs he's been offered were basically garbage by the time it was offered to him.  In this offer he gets the money, but also potentially a great team as well (provided LBJ resigns).

A big reason so many college coaches have failed in the NBA is because they were given opportunities in the NBA with some of the worst talent in the league as a whole.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Crean issues statement on MSU job
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Crean issues statement on MSU job
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/06/indiana-coach-tom-crean-talks-about-izzo-his-great-job-at-indiana/1

This will make your skin crawl for some of you...the video that is.

Check out his library of "leadership" books! 

was that 4never in the reflection mopping I4's floor?

feedback