Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: KU to Big East?  (Read 19713 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
KU to Big East?
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:31:25 PM »
Very speculative, but ESPN college fb rumors suggest it is an option for Kansas.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors#TOP

It quotes this article's speculation, which also suggests that the Big 12 poach Cincy and Louisville to replace some teams:  http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/05/1995767/four-scenarios-for-the-big-12s.html

Kansas would move the Big East west of the Mississippi, but geography seems to be less important if Oklahoma can be considered for the Pac-10.  But, if Kansas replaces Rutgers, what a gauntlet for college hoops in the Big East.  Take a winnable game most years and replace it with probably the toughest opponent MU would see many years.  

Probably won't happen, but the Big East is an interesting option for Kansas.  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:33:11 PM by HoopsMalone »

Nukem2

• All American
Re: KU to Big East?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
Very speculative, but ESPN college fb rumors suggest it is an option for Kansas.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors#TOP

It quotes this article's speculation, which also suggests that the Big 12 poach Cincy and Louisville to replace some teams:  http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/05/1995767/four-scenarios-for-the-big-12s.html

Kansas would move the Big East west of the Mississippi, but geography seems to be less important if Oklahoma can be considered for the Pac-10.  But, if Kansas replaces Rutgers, what a gauntlet for college hoops in the Big East.  Take a winnable game most years and replace it with probably the toughest opponent MU would see many years.  

Probably won't happen, but the Big East is an interesting option for Kansas.  
At least Kansas is east of the Rockies....!

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »
Well, the "California view of the world" (great poster) shows everything east of the Rocky Mountains to be right next to the Atlantic ocean.  So we're good with KU.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
I think it's fair to say that the BE is an "option" for any school with a football team that doesnt have a home and is/was in a BCS conference. ANd when I say option, I mean dead-last option.

However, BE officials would prob screw it up even if they wanted to join. "Meh, they have a football team. We veto'd Penn State. Turning away Kansas will be easy."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:04:14 AM »
Well, the "California view of the world" (great poster) shows everything east of the Rocky Mountains to be right next to the Atlantic ocean.  So we're good with KU.   ;)

:D

When I was a freshman and in History 001, we had those 1 day a week meetings with the TA.  I remember the first one and he asked us all where we were from.  I said California, when asked.  He followed up with a "why did you come out to Marquette University from California"?

My answer..."I wanted to go back east to school".  The whole place erupted with laughter. 

To us, anything east of Vegas is EAST BABY!!   ;)

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:12:01 AM »

When I worked in LA, our VP said he was headed back East. Since I had lots of connections back east, I asked him where. He said "Utah."  ;D

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:56 AM »
It's good to know that even with KU in the mix, the BE Network will still make [geographical] sense to people in Cali.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:23:36 AM »
When I worked in LA, our VP said he was headed back East. Since I had lots of connections back east, I asked him where. He said "Utah."  ;D
Of coursei if you talke to big firm lawyers and investment bankers from NYC, Boston or DC, you will understand that the map of the U.S. consists of the Atlantic seaboard with all else being considered the Wild West.  I received an e-mail attachment back when from a DC lawyer which displayed the Eastern seaboard as 4/5ths of the US and the rest 1/5.  Depends upon one's viewpoint... :D

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:36:43 AM »
Kansas might be left out of the Pac-10. I don't see them to the Big Ten. Maybe the Mtn. West? Talk about a step down for the Jayhawks.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
Of coursei if you talke to big firm lawyers and investment bankers from NYC, Boston or DC, you will understand that the map of the U.S. consists of the Atlantic seaboard with all else being considered the Wild West.  I received an e-mail attachment back when from a DC lawyer which displayed the Eastern seaboard as 4/5ths of the US and the rest 1/5.  Depends upon one's viewpoint... :D

Yup.  Or you will often find some of the East showing the east coast, the west coast and "fly over" country as meaningless.  The heartland are just a bunch of nitwits (not my words, trust me)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
Wow, after all the doomsday predictions, could expansion actually help the Big East by blowing up the Big 12?

mupanther, where any of those 43 games UW - Milwaukee games?  Just asking.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »
Kansas might be left out of the Pac-10. I don't see them to the Big Ten. Maybe the Mtn. West? Talk about a step down for the Jayhawks.
If they went to the Big West then yes big step down, but coming to Big East would make sense for them and would allow them to maintain in a great conference for college bball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 02:16:16 PM »
If they went to the Big West then yes big step down, but coming to Big East would make sense for them and would allow them to maintain in a great conference for college bball.

From a football perspective, the Mountain West is better than the BE...although it doesn't have a BCS auto-bid...yet.  If the Big Ten gets schools like Pitt, Rutgers and Notre Dame, the MWC becomes an even better option.

Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Colorado State, Wyoming, BYU, Utah, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, Air Force, TCU.

Not too shabby. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »

mupanther, where any of those 43 games UW - Milwaukee games?  Just asking.
I have full-season tickets to Marquette and UWM. I went to Orlando for the Old Spice Classic to see MU. Went to Madison for the UWM-UW game. Went to the Friday four games of the NCAA toury at Milwaukee for my 43 live in person games in the 2009-10 season. That was a record for me and my wife!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:23:26 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »
I think you mean Mtn. West not the Big West.
-Bill Walton

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »
I dont think KU (or any school for that matter) will be making a decision anytime soon on whether to join the BE.

Pull the chair out from under the BE to force ND to join the B10....

If Missouri and Nebraska say yes to the Big Ten, I'm hearing that then either Pittsburgh or Rutgers would be paired with Syracuse to form an expanded eastern boundary of the new league. The key, apparently, is taking The 'Cuse into the Big Ten. The fit already looks good. Syracuse chancellor Nancy Cantor is a former chancellor at Illinois and provost at Michigan.

In this scenario, the addition of Syracuse collapses the Big East and potentially forces Notre Dame to find a conference home for its minor sports. Not to mention a conference home for football.

In other words, Notre Dame needs a compelling reason to join a league in football. I reported yesterday that if Notre Dame came to the Big Ten, that league's expansion might be capped at 12. That might not be the case now. The two biggest words to remember in this entire process is that it is always a "fluid situation."

Adding to the intrigue is that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday that expansion could happen in stages.

If all of the above comes to pass, we'd be looking at two 16-team leagues (Pac-10, Big Ten), the collapse of the Big 12 and Big East and a whole lot of chaos. Does the SEC react?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
I'm hearing that

I reported yesterday that

You tricked me.  The cut and paste made me think Dennis Dodd is a board member!  http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/22395511?tag=headlines;other
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:21:15 PM by chapman »

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
Sweet

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
I dont think KU (or any school for that matter) will be making a decision anytime soon on whether to join the BE.

Pull the chair out from under the BE to force ND to join the B10....

If Missouri and Nebraska say yes to the Big Ten, I'm hearing that then either Pittsburgh or Rutgers would be paired with Syracuse to form an expanded eastern boundary of the new league. The key, apparently, is taking The 'Cuse into the Big Ten. The fit already looks good. Syracuse chancellor Nancy Cantor is a former chancellor at Illinois and provost at Michigan.

In this scenario, the addition of Syracuse collapses the Big East and potentially forces Notre Dame to find a conference home for its minor sports. Not to mention a conference home for football.

In other words, Notre Dame needs a compelling reason to join a league in football. I reported yesterday that if Notre Dame came to the Big Ten, that league's expansion might be capped at 12. That might not be the case now. The two biggest words to remember in this entire process is that it is always a "fluid situation."

Adding to the intrigue is that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday that expansion could happen in stages.

If all of the above comes to pass, we'd be looking at two 16-team leagues (Pac-10, Big Ten), the collapse of the Big 12 and Big East and a whole lot of chaos. Does the SEC react?

The SEC will pillage the ACC. 

The Pac 10 might end up making the first move, rumor has it (well placed rumor, but a rumor nonetheless) is that an offer is being made to OK, OK State, Texas, Texs A&M, Texas Tech, and Colorado and they might announce by July 1st.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »
Does the SEC react?

Why do they need to?  They're already making plenty of money and there aren't many teams* that would increase the per team revenue.  Maybe Texas and Texas A&M.  Adding other teams* will just mean they have to split the money more ways.

*I use teams, not schools, because this whole fiasco obviously has nothing to do with students.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 04:10:07 PM »
Why do they need to?  They're already making plenty of money and there aren't many teams* that would increase the per team revenue.  Maybe Texas and Texas A&M.  Adding other teams* will just mean they have to split the money more ways.

*I use teams, not schools, because this whole fiasco obviously has nothing to do with students.

They dont NEED to. But wouldnt adding FSU and maybe Miami make the SEC even more dominating than they already are?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »
They dont NEED to. But wouldnt adding FSU and maybe Miami make the SEC even more dominating than they already are?

But the point of expansion is to increase per school revenue.  Adding FSU and Miami doesn't do that.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
Don't discount UConn maybe getting a call for a Big Ten invite either at this point.  The new president at University of Illinois was most recently the president of UConn.  

I know money is guiding almost all of this, but I just can't get over how this seems like a suicide pact for so many schools.  If I'm someone like Oregon State and Northwestern that has had a moderate run of success in recent years in their respective leagues in football, I wouldn't exactly be too happy about probably being banished to permanent 2nd tier status in favor of schools like Texas and Nebraska.  

While this sounds all fun on paper and good for the wallet of these schools, at some point the return on investment/interest of being in a superconference is gonna diminish, because frankly, for about 30% of these schools, within 4-5 years, their fans are going to be as excited over this as Pittsburgh Pirates fans are about their team because you'll have no shot at ever winning in these superconferences.
The General has taken on a new command.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »

While this sounds all fun on paper and good for the wallet of these schools, at some point the return on investment/interest of being in a superconference is gonna diminish, because frankly, for about 30% of these schools, within 4-5 years, their fans are going to be as excited over this as Pittsburgh Pirates fans are about their team because you'll have no shot at ever winning in these superconferences.

Great point.  I don't know that Rutgers, St. John's, and Seton Hall are too excited when Marquette and Louisville put hurts on them consistently in men's hoops.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »
I think you mean Mtn. West not the Big West.

+1
Today on Vegas sports talks shows they were talking about KU being left out in the cold by others leaving for the Pac-10 and Big Televen.  I could never see KU in the Mountain West!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein