[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: KU to Big East?  (Read 19731 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: KU to Big East?
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »
Luke Winn talked to Bill Self and Frank Martin...and even the coaches of KU and K State don't sound optimistic about their futures.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/06/09/kansas.kansasstate/index.html?eref=sihp

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Luke Winn talked to Bill Self and Frank Martin...and even the coaches of KU and K State don't sound optimistic about their futures.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/06/09/kansas.kansasstate/index.html?eref=sihp

Here's the moneyshot :"I'm not in panic mode yet, but I'm very concerned," Self said. "I believe that Kansas will be OK no matter what, but for us to continue to compete at the level where we've been competing, and recruit at that level, I really believe that we need to be aligned with a BCS conference.

This is why, if the Big East gets destroyed, a scrapped together an A-10 / Big East leftovers is troubling.  It could work, but the BCS affiliation is what will drive most of the success.  Also why expansion of the NCAA was so key, IMO.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
Here's the moneyshot :"I'm not in panic mode yet, but I'm very concerned," Self said. "I believe that Kansas will be OK no matter what, but for us to continue to compete at the level where we've been competing, and recruit at that level, I really believe that we need to be aligned with a BCS conference.

This is why, if the Big East gets destroyed, a scrapped together an A-10 / Big East leftovers is troubling.  It could work, but the BCS affiliation is what will drive most of the success.  Also why expansion of the NCAA was so key, IMO.

Well, if Self is very concerned at Kansas then the situation cannot be good for the gang at Marquette.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:30 AM »
Interesting thread. Some thoughts:

1. Lots of talk about Mountain West and geography and so on. I think the only geography that counts is the airwaves, or I guess the satellite nodes. Kansas and Big 12 basketball, along with Marquette and Big East games, are played mostly for me on screens at a brick-walled tavern at 31st and Oak streets in midtown Kansas City. Most above say it, and it's so true: $$$$.

2. Funny post, reinko, but a bit of a cheap shot. KU, rather messily, dismissed Mark Mangino last fall and replaced him with Buffalo's Turner Gill. There's a sincere effort to kick the football (haha, couldn't resist) program up a notch at KU. And now this conference realignment mess.

3. The KU program is under fire for a ticket scandal. Some scummy underlings were scalping the Allen Fieldhouse inventory. It's beyond the NCAA; the long arm of the law is checking into this. As a result, the AD is under fire. TV reporters want to know if he thinks he might be fired. Next question: How about conference realignment.

4. The chancellor is relatively new on the job, I think within the past year. How'd you like to be in her shoes? Isn't there a dean job offer to rescind? Why don't we change Jayhawks to Warriors? That'd be a lot easier than all of this.

I'm actually kind of hoping KU ends in the Big East. K-State, too. I'm afraid there's a lot to sort out before that happens, though.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 02:08:37 AM »
BE grab of kansas, kstate and mizzou is the best chance for those teams and BE to stay in the BCS. If we are going to four 16-team conference then the news yesterday was ok because we know the big 12 is one of the 6 to go, meaning the BE and ACC would be in a death match.  Sec could raid acc for three (we probably lose usf, at which point we've got a shot to survive and hopefully remin the only bcs conference with hoops-only teams.

And if BE keeps most of the strong hoops teams and adds kstate, kansas and mizzou? Wow.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »
The AD of KU announced retirement today, on scandals of equipment gifts, and on the internal ticket selling by athl dept people.
At a key time KU is  AD crippled, and in his absence, KU BB and acting in KU's "Self" interests may take a lead-

- Rock Chalk Jayhawk, and drop FB, be "Self"ish and join us in BE--please
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:40:46 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2010, 02:40:43 PM »
It's good to know that even with KU in the mix, the BE Network will still make [geographical] sense to people in Cali.

Will that hold for Caracus too?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
What about KU + Memphis to the BE Super Basketball Conference. I'd take them over Rutgers and Cincy and their football any day.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

feedback