Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wrongful Speculation by Scoopers  (Read 18236 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Wrongful Speculation by Scoopers
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »
Golden Avalanche posted numerous times below that DJ Newbill would be attending prep school.  Today DJ's coach stated DJ will be at MU this fall and NOT attending prep school.  I'm trusting DJ's coach (PhillyCoach), given Avalanche's insistence on DJ going to prep school, can we 100% confirm?

Let's just say Newbill is the one who is gone. How is it being forthright with a prospect by taking a verbal commitment from him in January; taking a signed LOI from him in April; and then releasing him from the program in May?

That's an awful tough turnaround in five months for a teenager. Especially one who reportedly came in with good standing on the court and in the classroom.

quote author=The Golden Avalanche link=topic=20508.msg212933#msg212933 date=1273767248]

Last week, I wrote that Newbill would go to prep to trim the roster. That has been confirmed by multiple people in private and by multiple people in public (except their words are more flowery in public). There's a little more to it then my willy-nilly nature. I was/am taken to task for writing this. Not for writing that it never and/or always happens. There's a difference.

One recent example of stashing would be the prospect Kennedy from Villanova.
[/quote]

It seems a "last in, first out" scenario with Newbill the most likely candidate. If not him, then Smith. We will also look to sign one more prospect and when that occurs Mbao will be leaving the program. If the three prospects left on the market turn us down, then Newbill and Smith don't need to worry about their prep year.

Wrote this three days ago when I got slammed for hating on Buzz and MU.

Noreen was the first of the three prospects remaining. He's out. Short is the second of the three prospects and its dubious whether he got a true offer but we'll see how Lundy plays this. If the third prospect doesn't show up, expect Newbill to prep and Mbao to stay.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:09:51 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
Well, since you brought it up in an oh so delicate way (and appear to love being a punching bag) you'll also notice I wrote this in the words you quoted above:

If the three prospects left on the market turn us down, then Newbill and Smith don't need to worry about their prep year.

See that last part, Ners-y boy?? Those three prospects are gone, thus, no need to worry about a prep year for one of our recruits (unless grades magically become a problem or we receive a transfer).

This is not rocket science. There's no need to throw the toys out of the pram for attention like you've been doing the last two weeks. Just read all the words people write and it will answer most of your issues.

Again, for the tenth time, many people have written about these scenarios. It's flattering you only pay attention when I write about it but it's stupid to paint the picture that I'm some sort of bat$hit crazy loner on this matter.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »
 While speculation is fun, IMO this is exactly why speculation doesn't do any good.

Who says that coaches/players at MU don't know what is posted on this board?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
Well, since you brought it up in an oh so delicate way (and appear to love being a punching bag) you'll also notice I wrote this in the words you quoted above:

See that last part, Ners-y boy?? Those three prospects are gone, thus, no need to worry about a prep year for one of our recruits (unless grades magically become a problem or we receive a transfer).

This is not rocket science. There's no need to throw the toys out of the pram for attention like you've been doing the last two weeks. Just read all the words people write and it will answer most of your issues.

Again, for the tenth time, many people have written about these scenarios. It's flattering you only pay attention when I write about it but it's stupid to paint the picture that I'm some sort of bat$hit crazy loner on this matter.
Sorry dude - you made these comments before Gardner was signed..you mentioned 3 possibilities - Noreen, Short..but failed to mention a 3rd...and then went on to write that "if the 3rd prospect doesn't show up (which he did), expect Newbill to prep and Mbao to stay. (which he didn't)"  So, Gardner signed, and then Mbao left...but nothing mentioned about Newbill needing to go to prep school - in fact his coach has posted here that he will be on campus in July.

Accountability is a b$tch sometimes.  So, if you want to post speculation about Buzz not being forthcoming with recruits, and signing a player in January/April and then running him off to prep school...please just be sure to knnow your facts 100% before you speculate on such a delicate matter such as sending players to prep school, or suggesting less than scrupulous recruiting tactics.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:53:52 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:32 AM »
Sorry dude - you made these comments before Gardner was signed..you mentioned 3 possibilities - Noreen, Short..but failed to mention a 3rd...and then went on to write that "if the 3rd prospect doesn't show up, expect Newbill to prep and Mbao to stay."  So, Gardner signed, and then Mbao left...but nothing mentioned about Newbill needing to go to prep school - in fact his coach has posted here that he will be on campus in July.

Accountability is a b$tch sometimes.  So, if you want to post speculation about Buzz not being forthcoming with recruits, and signing a player in January/April and then running him off to prep school...please just be sure to knnow your facts 100% before you speculate on such a delicate matter such as sending players to prep school, or suggesting less than scrupulous recruiting tactics.

I told you so threads usually end up going nowhere... much like this one will.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
Ners, you're going to change the name of this thread, correct? How 'bout you change it to something regarding your personal beef with another member? Let's not use a player's name to lure in more views...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
Or maybe, take it the PM route instead of bouncing around in different threads.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »
Sorry dude - you made these comments before Gardner was signed..you mentioned 3 possibilities - Noreen, Short..but failed to mention a 3rd...and then went on to write that "if the 3rd prospect doesn't show up, expect Newbill to prep and Mbao to stay."  So, Gardner signed, and then Mbao left...but nothing mentioned about Newbill needing to go to prep school - in fact his coach has posted here that he will be on campus in July.

You are on a mission. Pointless. But a mission.

I'll write this and walk off into the sunset (hoping the mods delete the thread): the chapter on spring recruiting and adding members to next year's team is not yet over.

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »
its funny how people say things out of ignorance but in case some dont know signing national letter of intent and scholarship papers is a legally binding contract with both parties and before any school sends out the nli or scholarship papers ie contracts the players sat scores and transcript must be reviewed by the universities ncaa complience person who then gives the coaching staff a yea or neh on whether this kid will be qualified by the clearinghouse. If yea scholarship papers are sent to the kid and signed then sat scores and hs transcripts are sent to the ncaa clearinghouse at the time of the signing and again after the kid graduates for final approval. This is done for two reason prob more but the main two r to check core course gpa and align it with the sat score and to make sure each univ or college hav the correct amount of scholarships thats aloted. To go to a prep the kid who is qualified would hav to agree to give up his schollie or it would b a breach of contract. Dj wil be an eagle for sure.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
I think that Buzz did not expect anyone to go to prep school. Buzz expected Mbao to leave, but Mbao had not made it official yet. I think Buzz was directing attention away from Mbao until he made up his mind by putting up a smoke screen about a player going to prep school. Howeveer, prep school is still a possibilty, if a player does not qualify.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »
I think that Buzz did not expect anyone to go to prep school. Buzz expected Mbao to leave, but Mbao had not made it official yet. I think Buzz was directing attention away from Mbao until he made up his mind by putting up a smoke screen about a player going to prep school. Howeveer, prep school is still a possibilty, if a player does not qualify.

Or to make us obsess over MU hoops even more for the 4 months or so of dead period in the summer. Whatever, it worked and we lose no one from our incoming class so I'm super happy.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
I told you so threads usually end up going nowhere... much like this one will.

Ners, you're going to change the name of this thread, correct? How 'bout you change it to something regarding your personal beef with another member? Let's not use a player's name to lure in more views...

My feeling is that if someone on this board is going to make statements about Buzz/MU recruiting in an unethical way, and is going to predict how this is going to unfold/happen - then they better be damn sure of what they are speculating about.  If they are wrong, they should be exposed.  Do I have a beef with Golden Avalanche, absolutely.  Why?  Because of this very type of thing, as well as other ignorant comments he makes.  There is nothing beneficial that comes out of a Scooper posting things from a point of view as fact, that are speculative in nature.  Golden Avalnche posted in approximately 5 or 6 different threads (in almost no uncertain terms) that Newbill would be going to prep school....and honestly..if I'm Newbill and reading these boards..I'm pretty pissed off.  We don't need that, and unless you are in the absolute inner-circle of MU hoops, you really shouldn't make these type of "predictions."  It is one thing to speculate about potential recruits considering MU..that is harmless...but to speculate about which current signed MU recruit is going to prep school..in a way that says it is definitely 1 player in particular..and to assert that multiple times..that's wrong.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »

GA, welcome to the club.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 01:06:36 PM »
My feeling is that if someone on this board is going to make statements about Buzz/MU recruiting in an unethical way, and is going to predict how this is going to unfold/happen - then they better be damn sure of what they are speculating about.  If they are wrong, they should be exposed.  

Do you hold these same beliefs when someone makes statements about other MU coaches from the past?

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »
My feeling is that if someone on this board is going to make statements about Buzz/MU recruiting in an unethical way, and is going to predict how this is going to unfold/happen - then they better be damn sure of what they are speculating about.  If they are wrong, they should be exposed.  Do I have a beef with Golden Avalanche, absolutely.  Why?  Because of this very type of thing, as well as other ignorant comments he makes.  There is nothing beneficial that comes out of a Scooper posting things from a point of view as fact, that are speculative in nature.  Golden Avalnche posted in approximately 5 or 6 different threads (in almost no uncertain terms) that Newbill would be going to prep school....and honestly..if I'm Newbill and reading these boards..I'm pretty pissed off.  We don't need that, and unless you are in the absolute inner-circle of MU hoops, you really shouldn't make these type of "predictions."  It is one thing to speculate about potential recruits considering MU..that is harmless...but to speculate about which current signed MU recruit is going to prep school..in a way that says it is definitely 1 player in particular..and to assert that multiple times..that's wrong.

I'm not interested in getting involved in any long-winded pissing contest, nor am I interested in reading any more about it. My point was about changing the thread name so that unsuspecting Scoopers (who thought there would be some relevant information about one of my favorite new recruits) wouldn't have to stumble into this s&$# puddle of self-righteousness. Less people would view it if it was called Ners-GA pissing match; unless you intended to air your dirty laundry in front of more eyes by coining this thread under a more unassuming name. Just do us a favor and call it something more reflective of what it really is.

Have you ever clicked on a thread that is nothing what you expected? Can you empathize with me?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
My feeling is that if someone on this board is going to make statements about Buzz/MU recruiting in an unethical way, and is going to predict how this is going to unfold/happen - then they better be damn sure of what they are speculating about.  If they are wrong, they should be exposed.

Dude...seriously...no one cares.  Buzz doesn't need someone to be his personal defender on here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
its funny how people say things out of ignorance but in case some dont know signing national letter of intent and scholarship papers is a legally binding contract with both parties and before any school sends out the nli or scholarship papers ie contracts the players sat scores and transcript must be reviewed by the universities ncaa complience person who then gives the coaching staff a yea or neh on whether this kid will be qualified by the clearinghouse. If yea scholarship papers are sent to the kid and signed then sat scores and hs transcripts are sent to the ncaa clearinghouse at the time of the signing and again after the kid graduates for final approval. This is done for two reason prob more but the main two r to check core course gpa and align it with the sat score and to make sure each univ or college hav the correct amount of scholarships thats aloted. To go to a prep the kid who is qualified would hav to agree to give up his schollie or it would b a breach of contract. Dj wil be an eagle for sure.

Yes.  That was discussed here earlier.  When Davante Gardner was signed, it was mentioned by MU in the same release that announced the signing, that someone was going to prep school.  With Mbao leaving now, some people believe that the issue is dead...however since it seems like MU is still recruiting for the 2010 class, the issue is continuing to be debated.

I think I speak for all members here that we hope DJ isn't upset by this speculation.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »

Buzz doesn't need someone to be his personal defender on here.

Agree with you Sultan... However, the same can be said for other posters/coaches.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »
Agree with you Sultan... However, the same can be said for other posters/coaches.

I know.  However every thread remotely critical of Buzz has been hijacked by him as if he's on some sort of jihad.  And now he's calling people out who *may* have been proven wrong?  Cmon...

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »
My feeling is that if someone on this board is going to make statements about Buzz/MU recruiting in an unethical way, and is going to predict how this is going to unfold/happen - then they better be damn sure of what they are speculating about.  If they are wrong, they should be exposed.  Do I have a beef with Golden Avalanche, absolutely.  Why?  Because of this very type of thing, as well as other ignorant comments he makes.  There is nothing beneficial that comes out of a Scooper posting things from a point of view as fact, that are speculative in nature.  Golden Avalnche posted in approximately 5 or 6 different threads (in almost no uncertain terms) that Newbill would be going to prep school....and honestly..if I'm Newbill and reading these boards..I'm pretty pissed off.  We don't need that, and unless you are in the absolute inner-circle of MU hoops, you really shouldn't make these type of "predictions."  It is one thing to speculate about potential recruits considering MU..that is harmless...but to speculate about which current signed MU recruit is going to prep school..in a way that says it is definitely 1 player in particular..and to assert that multiple times..that's wrong.

I do agree with you, but I don't agree the way you called him out. Can't we just immediately squash all personal attack threads on this board??

I understand that speculation will occur on the board, but when it comes to grades, academic standing, or anything of a more personal nature (IMO) I think it should be tread on lightly. Everyone loves to prognosticate, but enough with my sources have told me unless your BMA, it doesn't do any good.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »

Dude...seriously...no one cares.  Buzz doesn't need someone to be his personal defender on here.

Remember when you didn't care who Mac Irvin was?  Remember when you didn't seem to think it was a big deal to send a fully qualified Reggie Smith to prep school?

I don't know who Mac Irvin is and I don't really care.

But if Smith falls off the map, why would we want him?  Similarly, if he explodes, he might want to go elsewhere.

So now you don't care if Scoopers are wildly posting speculations as abosulute fact, regarding a signed MU recruit being ticketed for prep school..when the program/Buzz hasn't stated as much?  No, I don't like it when a Scooper takes a cheap shot at our current coach and his recruiting tactics - when said Scooper turns out to be proven wrong.  

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »
No one has been proven wrong about anything and no one will be proven wrong about anything until first semester starts next year.  It might be wise to avoid attacking people about being wrong until you see what actually happens.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »

I know.  However every thread remotely critical of Buzz has been hijacked by him as if he's on some sort of jihad.  And now he's calling people out who *may* have been proven wrong?  Cmon...

I hear you... What I find interesting is how people can get so encamped into one-side or position on a basketball message board. I mean, how many threads are just plain-old pissing matches, with a couple of posters just going back and forth. And, with no surprise, it usually between guys that would be classified as "Pro-Buzz" vs. "Pro-TC." Its truly laughable how predictable it all has become.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »
Remember when you didn't care who Mac Irvin was?  Remember when you didn't seem to think it was a big deal to send a fully qualified Reggie Smith to prep school?

I never said that it would be acceptable to "send a fully qualified Reggie Smith to prep school."  That is *completely* false.

I said that if Reggie Smith went to prep school, that I didn't think we should be beholden to take him in 2011 because of Mac Irvin.

If you can find a quote where I stated otherwise, find it and post it...otherwise....shut...the...f*ck...up.

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 02:20:06 PM »
dj doesnt know about this stuff nor does he need to know. he is very confident in himself as a student athlete and i intend on encouraging him to strive to be the best. I know everyone wants big men but if u noticed the game has become guard oriented quality bigs are rare on every level of the game height is needed but talent and team chemistry along with heart and hard working players is wats gona win ball games. Dj chose mu not bcuz of size or name or even the big east he chose mu bcuz he saw a coach that gets the maximum from the players and he had that all of his life so why not continue that process. I think the mu fans and coaches are going to b surprized at wat the will see in dj newbill and im not just say that bcuz im in his circle