Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wrongful Speculation by Scoopers  (Read 18239 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Wrongful Speculation by Scoopers
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »

Beyond bizarre.  These are coaches.  Crean would be canonized compared to O'Neill and his actions.

Truly, get some more coffee up there in Seattle and you may want to read a passage about casting stones since you brought up the Christian nonsense.

BA-ZINGA.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 08:26:06 AM »
I was in Medicine Hat, Alberta last summer on a road trip from SB WI to AK.  Nice town.  Bought two tee shirts at the downtown "SALLY ARMS" thrift store, since I had forgotten to pack enough shirts for the trip.  $2 each, and I'm still wearing them.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 08:37:20 AM »
Weird couple of days on the Scoop: message board fistfight, a high school coach defends his player, yet another TC-BW thread devolution, and Chicos got geographized...and this was all in one thread!

I also love that a 4-year old joke was LOL'd on another thread.

Basketball can't come soon enough.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2010, 09:18:06 AM »
Weird couple of days on the Scoop: message board fistfight, a high school coach defends his player, yet another TC-BW thread devolution, and Chicos got geographized...and this was all in one thread!

Nice summary, +1 - - That said, it is the offseason, and we don't have much else to talk about..thus some of the above.  If we step back from the ledge for a minute, there was some pretty good smack that was talked - that seen through the proper lens, was quite funny...but, if we take this smack/message board stuff too seriously, then we can't find the humor in the trash talk.  I got owned a few times, and owned a few in the process.  In the moment there can be some animosity, but its like talking a little junk on the court/playing field..and when it comes to an end..there need not be any hard feelings.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »

+1.

May is the worst time of year for college basketball junkies... the month between the Final Four and the NBA draft.  We're all going stir-crazy up in here.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »
I was in Medicine Hat, Alberta last summer on a road trip from SB WI to AK.  Nice town.  Bought two tee shirts at the downtown "SALLY ARMS" thrift store, since I had forgotten to pack enough shirts for the trip.  $2 each, and I'm still wearing them.

You obviously took the Trans Can which brought you through the Gas City. The Sally Arms is downtown and, in addition to a fine selection of recycled clothing and household goods, offers Alberta's herbalists an excellent choice in water pipes, onyx and brass smoking accessories, and black light art work. Hopefully you took time to gaze in wonder at the world's largest teepee followed by a repast at Tino's. The Hat is a great place to be.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »

+1...let's not forget wrestling...filling in the lull, is Dan Gable the best NCAA wrestler of all-time?  What about Pro?  Dick the Bruiser?   ;)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »
+1...let's not forget wrestling...filling in the lull, is Dan Gable the best NCAA wrestler of all-time?  What about Pro?  Dick the Bruiser?   ;)

The Crusher, c'mom.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »
Is Dan Gable the best NCAA wrestler of all-time?

Yes.  As much as I admire what Cael Sanderson accomplished, I don't want to hear anybody saying Gable is not the GOAT.  I met him at the NCAA tournament a few years ago -- [wrestling nerd alert] -- one of the sports highlights of my life.  I'm pretty sure it's the only time I ever met someone who was the name sake for shoes that I wore.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »

I am not sure that Philly Coach is DJ's actual HS coach.  Has he identified himself as such?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »

I am not sure that Philly Coach is DJ's actual HS coach.  Has he identified himself as such?

MUScoop / Hangin' at the Al / Re: Dj newbill fan    on: May 25, 2010, 08:00:23 PM
dj is his nickname and brad gathered more footage and should have the documentary complete in the upcoming days. I also was his high school coach and i will be at the elite camp again this summer

That was Phillycoach's post a few days ago...
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:54 AM »
You obviously took the Trans Can which brought you through the Gas City. The Sally Arms is downtown and, in addition to a fine selection of recycled clothing and household goods, offers Alberta's herbalists an excellent choice in water pipes, onyx and brass smoking accessories, and black light art work. Hopefully you took time to gaze in wonder at the world's largest teepee followed by a repast at Tino's. The Hat is a great place to be.

Yes on the Trans-Can.  Stared on the teepee, didn't know about Tino's (dang it). Actually, I took some pix of the old movie theatre that's being rehabbed (can't find them now, or I'd try to send one), and close by was a head shop.  New I was out of my depth upon entering the establishment, but the owner/clerk did point me in the direction of the S-A a block over.  Don't remember seeing the paraphernalia in there, but did enjoy exploring the basement sales area, as well.  (Boy this sure is boring to everyone else, isn't it?  Tough, you'll just have to suffer, as I've got to read through all the other drivel on this forum, too.)
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »
uh, I live in Alberta

Alberta beef....yummy.

Throwing stones at someone for not being Christian enough....ironic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
MUScoop / Hangin' at the Al / Re: Dj newbill fan    on: May 25, 2010, 08:00:23 PM
dj is his nickname and brad gathered more footage and should have the documentary complete in the upcoming days. I also was his high school coach and i will be at the elite camp again this summer

That was Phillycoach's post a few days ago...

OK...obviously missed it.  Thanks.

Funky Cold Medina

• Walk-On
Re: DJ Newbill
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
its funny how people say things out of ignorance but in case some dont know signing national letter of intent and scholarship papers is a legally binding contract with both parties and before any school sends out the nli or scholarship papers ie contracts the players sat scores and transcript must be reviewed by the universities ncaa complience person who then gives the coaching staff a yea or neh on whether this kid will be qualified by the clearinghouse. If yea scholarship papers are sent to the kid and signed then sat scores and hs transcripts are sent to the ncaa clearinghouse at the time of the signing and again after the kid graduates for final approval. This is done for two reason prob more but the main two r to check core course gpa and align it with the sat score and to make sure each univ or college hav the correct amount of scholarships thats aloted. To go to a prep the kid who is qualified would hav to agree to give up his schollie or it would b a breach of contract. Dj wil be a eagle Warrior for sure.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:26:42 PM by Funky Cold Medina »

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
Yes on the Trans-Can.  Stared on the teepee, didn't know about Tino's (dang it). Actually, I took some pix of the old movie theatre that's being rehabbed (can't find them now, or I'd try to send one), and close by was a head shop.  New I was out of my depth upon entering the establishment, but the owner/clerk did point me in the direction of the S-A a block over.  Don't remember seeing the paraphernalia in there, but did enjoy exploring the basement sales area, as well.  (Boy this sure is boring to everyone else, isn't it?  Tough, you'll just have to suffer, as I've got to read through all the other drivel on this forum, too.)

We opened the Esplanade a few years ago but the theater you are referring to is in The Hat's Clay district. I am currently in Grande Prairie, AB for Stompede. Grande Prairie's Stompede is second only to Calgary's in size and significance. I personally love the Chucks races. Fabulous.

http://gpstompede.com/pro-chuckwagons

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2010, 05:58:23 PM »
On the contrary. Many of us have never compared the two men. Fact is, there is no comparison but that is beside the point. Buzz may be a complete jerk, too but that is not something I have hear. Crean was/is. Crean had no place in a Christian community.

This can also be said of Pearl, Lavin, Pastner, Greenberg, et al.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2010, 06:32:55 PM »
"Fact is, some of us knew Tom Crean as a shallow, insincere, dishonest, gutless, unethical jerk while he was here at Marquette."

we have a winner -   Crean did elevate the program to new levels, unfortunately he is a dbag as a person...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »
"Fact is, some of us knew Tom Crean as a shallow, insincere, dishonest, gutless, unethical jerk while he was here at Marquette."

we have a winner -   Crean did elevate the program to new levels, unfortunately he is a dbag as a person...

I still await the KO thread that says the same thing, only that he was even "douchier" as a person.   ::)

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2010, 12:16:09 AM »
I still await the KO thread that says the same thing, only that he was even "douchier" as a person. 

Crean's status as a D-Bag is in no way diminished by KO's talent in that same vertical.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »

Yes, TC was all of those things but he revived Marquette basketball and after he bolted, the program was given to a much better coach, recruiter and person (IMO). Isn't that a fair trade off?

If TC left and the program fell apart or was under NCAA investigation, I could see the animosity. However, Buzz appears to be a better man for the job, leading me to believe that TC's departure was a blessing. Despite bringing in D-Wade and coaching the team to the Final Four, the most lasting "gift" that Crean gave to MU was leaving Milwaukee for Crimsoner pastures.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Yes, TC was all of those things but he revived Marquette basketball and after he bolted, the program was given to a much better coach, recruiter and person (IMO). Isn't that a fair trade off?

If TC left and the program fell apart or was under NCAA investigation, I could see the animosity. However, Buzz appears to be a better man for the job, leading me to believe that TC's departure was a blessing. Despite bringing in D-Wade and coaching the team to the Final Four, the most lasting "gift" that Crean gave to MU was leaving Milwaukee for Crimsoner pastures.

Agree 100% with all of the above.  TC deserves credit for helping to revive the MU basketball brand, help get us the AL, and took us to a Final Four riding the once a century talent of DWade.  Believe Buzz has a much higher ceiling as a coach and recruiter.  Just hope he stays for awhile.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »

Amen, Mustache.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »

I don't think I have ever come into the middle of a thread and had less of an idea what was going on in my entire life.  This paragraph to me was the most confusing and awesomely insider thing I have ever read.  I don't know why, but I thought it was really cool and everyone should know/read it again as if they hadn't seen the prior conversation.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »
everyone should know/read it again as if they hadn't seen the prior conversation.

That was good.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:50:49 PM by MOwarrior »