collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Where will LeBron go without a 2010 NBA Championship?

Cleveland
New York
Chicago
Other

Author Topic: If Cavs drop out...?  (Read 28279 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: If Cavs drop out...?
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »
As someone who used to work in the Bulls front office and still knows people there, I've found this thread to be funny.

This is just a quick count of things I've heard from people both in marketing and basketball operations with the Bulls. Believe whatever you want to take away from this.

-No one believes Bosh is coming to Chicago. All signs so far are pointing towards Miami, especially if Wade re-signs

-Most think Wade will be the first to make a free agency decision. Nearly everyone thinks he's re-signing with the Heat, with a chance he might consider the Knicks. Almost no chatter of him coming to Chicago.

-Bulls insiders say they will not overpay for Joe Johnson. Only way they would is if LBJ wants him. Joe Johnson is most likely to be last of the "big name" players to sign.

-LBJ is more than interested in Chicago. Most GM's think it's his preferred destination, and there has been a lot of chatter in league circles about it. Talk is LeBron is tired of having maxed things out in Cleveland, wants a combo of title contender roster, $$$ outside league contract potential, nightlife, and wants to be semi-close to Akron.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's what I'm hearing.

Oh, and NBA players LOVE Chicago. All this stuff from people saying Chicago isn't a glamorous city for NBA players is utter nonsense. NBA players have consistenly said their favorite cities on roadtrips are Portland, Chicago, Miami, New York, Atlanta.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »
As someone who used to work in the Bulls front office and still knows people there, I've found this thread to be funny.

This is just a quick count of things I've heard from people both in marketing and basketball operations with the Bulls. Believe whatever you want to take away from this.

-No one believes Bosh is coming to Chicago. All signs so far are pointing towards Miami, especially if Wade re-signs

-Most think Wade will be the first to make a free agency decision. Nearly everyone thinks he's re-signing with the Heat, with a chance he might consider the Knicks. Almost no chatter of him coming to Chicago.

-Bulls insiders say they will not overpay for Joe Johnson. Only way they would is if LBJ wants him. Joe Johnson is most likely to be last of the "big name" players to sign.

-LBJ is more than interested in Chicago. Most GM's think it's his preferred destination, and there has been a lot of chatter in league circles about it. Talk is LeBron is tired of having maxed things out in Cleveland, wants a combo of title contender roster, $$$ outside league contract potential, nightlife, and wants to be semi-close to Akron.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's what I'm hearing.

Oh, and NBA players LOVE Chicago. All this stuff from people saying Chicago isn't a glamorous city for NBA players is utter nonsense. NBA players have consistenly said their favorite cities on roadtrips are Portland, Chicago, Miami, New York, Atlanta.

I think you may be mis-interpretting the conversation here.  We are discussing the glamor appeal of the Chicago Bulls organization in the NBA, NOT the city of Chicago.  The city of Chicago is pretty awesome, no one can really debate that one.

Interesting stuff though.  Take everything with a grain of salt on these topics as the only people who truly know are the players themselves, but always fun to hear speculations or general consensus out there around the league.  I think Wade resigns as well, pretty quickly and I think either Bosh or Amar'e are gonna be joining him in Miami.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
Rawdog knows everything.  No use in being reasonable with him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2010, 01:43:21 PM »

uh, pot meet kettle?

additionally, Portland is a hot spot for NBA players?

WHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2010, 01:59:59 PM »
Please Stay LeBron video, featuring numerous Cleveland celebrities.

http://www.break.com/index/we-are-lebron-video.html
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »
Glamorous cities for NBA players, in no specific order:

~LA (Hollywood)
~Atlanta (strip clubs and hip hop)
~Miami (weather and no state taxes)
~Dallas (ownership)

I agree but I'd have to add the Knicks. NBA players seem to love NYC.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100514&sportCat=nba

try and temper your boners, Bulls fans.

I came to the realization that LeBron has to realize that if he comes to Chicago, the expectation every year will be to win the title.  Anything less is failure.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »
Please Stay LeBron video, featuring numerous Cleveland celebrities.

http://www.break.com/index/we-are-lebron-video.html
Did I say I was from Cleveland... wow that's embarrassing, lol

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
I came to the realization that LeBron has to realize that if he comes to Chicago, the expectation every year will be to win the title.  Anything less is failure.
Anything less than that now is a failure too

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
uh, pot meet kettle?

additionally, Portland is a hot spot for NBA players?

WHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu?

Little company called "Nike" is right near Portland. Players also don't typically get bothered when they got out in Portland either. NBA players LOVE going to Portland.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
Little company called "Nike" is right near Portland. Players also don't typically get bothered when they got out in Portland either. NBA players LOVE going to Portland.

so, it is sort of the 'escape from it all' city?

Nike being near Portland means what, exactly?

These are serious questions... I'm am totally surprised here.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
so, it is sort of the 'escape from it all' city?

Nike being near Portland means what, exactly?

These are serious questions... I'm am totally surprised here.
I'm totally surprised too.  I can see it as cool for Nike sponsored stars to be able to stop by headquarters, etc and play around, but beyond that... Portland? Really?!  Never ever ever heard or would've thought of that in a million frappin years

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
I know the Bulls do it, and most other teams do to, but Portland (especially for Eastern Conference teams who only go once a year) is typically a "team gathering" city. For example, every year the Bulls go to Portland, the front office sets up a trip to Beaverton, and most guys go to the Nike campus. Rookies in particular love going, as they either get swag or some deeply discounted deals (not everything is free to these guys). I know a story of one rookie in the early 2000's saving his per diem from the Bulls Circus West Coast trip, and spending it all at Nike.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
I know the Bulls do it, and most other teams do to, but Portland (especially for Eastern Conference teams who only go once a year) is typically a "team gathering" city. For example, every year the Bulls go to Portland, the front office sets up a trip to Beaverton, and most guys go to the Nike campus. Rookies in particular love going, as they either get swag or some deeply discounted deals (not everything is free to these guys). I know a story of one rookie in the early 2000's saving his per diem from the Bulls Circus West Coast trip, and spending it all at Nike.
Yeah, I can see it as like a cool place to visit once a year and do that and that being something to look forward to, but I don't think that means that Portland is a step above the rest when it comes to signing somewhere in free agency or something, just my thought though.

I can only imagine what that per diem was set at!!!  Had to have been one hell of a shopping trip!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2010, 03:04:17 PM »
I think you may be mis-interpretting the conversation here.  We are discussing the glamor appeal of the Chicago Bulls organization in the NBA, NOT the city of Chicago.  The city of Chicago is pretty awesome, no one can really debate that one.

I think the location of a franchise is part of the 'glamor'.  Why do you think the nicks are?  The player does have to live there. You think Bosh would be gun ho about Miami if it was located in Minnesota?

Lebron was the one who suggested that every team retire MJ's number. So that could mean he really is afraid of the 'shadow' of MJ, but come on.  You are in the shadow of someone for every team mentioned except the nicks and the clippers.

On a related note, mlb players just voted that chicago has the best groupies.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I think the location of a franchise is part of the 'glamor'.  Why do you think the nicks are?  The player does have to live there. You think Bosh would be gun ho about Miami if it was located in Minnesota?

Lebron was the one who suggested that every team retire MJ's number. So that could mean he really is afraid of the 'shadow' of MJ, but come on.  You are in the shadow of someone for every team mentioned except the nicks and the clippers.

By coming out early on about changing his number to 6 next year, LBJ has opened himself up to now play for the Bulls and not have to say to anyone that he couldn't go to the Bulls because he can't wear his normal 23.....just my story and I'm sticking to it...
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »
I think the location of a franchise is part of the 'glamor'. Why do you think the nicks are? The player does have to live there. You think Bosh would be gun ho about Miami if it was located in Minnesota?

I am making the argument that from a basketball perspective only that LA and Boston are the only franchises that have any glamour and this is due to their historical relevance and dominance in the league.  The Knicks are borderline, but still fall short of glamor.

Yes, the cities, weather, etc are all factors in deciding where to play and such, but I was simply speaking to the franchise itself from a basketball stand point, not it's surroundings and "other" items that can help a franchise in landing free agents, etc.

Best groupies probably has some clout these days too, lol

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
Ok, perhaps its not delusional to say that Lebron may consider Chicago. However, it is delusional to say it is the best destination, and that their roster is SOOO much better than others rosters who are in the running.

In my opinion NY Knicks is the #1 option. Lebron has made it very public that he wants to be a global icon, and there is no where better to do this than NY, and no where else (not even chicago/LA) really comes close. The opportunity to play at madison square garden in manhattan will be a major draw to Lebron. The only thing is there is NO ONE around him. However, if they can sign Bosh and Lebron they would be an amazing pair in the D'antonio system. I think Lebron would love the chance to from the the slow boring cleveland system to the fast break run and gun d'antonio system. He has said he wants to be the first billionaire athlete, and NYC is the best place for a person who wants to be greater than the sport. Doesn't make the most sense from a basketball standpoint, but I really thing lebron cares about more than just winning basketball games.

New Jersey Nets. Jersey has an all-star PG in devin harris already, the potential for another in wall, chris douglas-roberts, courtney lee, brook lopez, yi jianlian, and terrence williams. Thats a pretty decent nucleus. You also have to include the Jay-Z factor. And the fact that they are moving to a brand new, state of the art stadium in brooklyn, so he will get his NY exposure. But you have to wonder if he would want to spend 2 years in Jersey before they make the move.

LA Clippers. LA is the second largest market and the clips have a great core of young players already in eric gordon, blake griffen, chris kaman, deandre jordan and travis outlaw. he might see it as a challenge to compete with kobe for popularity in LA.

Heat. The allure of South Beach + Dwade is huge, but it will be hard for them to sign both. And they apparently loved playing with each other for team USA.

Orlando Magic? If they can deal lewis they should have enough cap to sign him. Plus no income tax in florida. Imagine lebron and dwight howard. This is his destination is championships are truly the most important to him.

And the craziest option: Lebron in Europe. Its rumored that the billionaire brothers who own the team that Josh Childress plays for is planning on offering Lebron 50-80 Mil/year in the uncapped Euro League. What better way to increase his international exposure? Go play in Europe for 2 years, make 100+ mil, and come back just in time for the Nets grand move to Brooklyn.

My cousin works for those billionaires, the Aggelopoulos brothers, and told me this morning that the rumors around the office is that this is a distinct possibility and that they are considering making an offer...

Little background:
The team is Olympiakos, and last weekend they lost to Barcelona (Ricky Rubio and Juan Carlos Navarro) in the Eurobasket Final (best two teams in Europe). However, for the past 5 or so seasons Olympiakos has been stuck in 2nd in the league behind rival Panathinaikos (Dominique Wilkens once played there) who has also won the Euroleague a few times in the past.

In other words, Olympiakos still has some goals to achieve. The teams head coach is a guy named Panayiotis Giannakis- best Greek basketball player ever and a great mind, very famous in the country. The team signed Josh Childress to a 3 year deal worth $20 million, and another former NBA player on the team is Linas Kleiza of the Nuggets (Kleiza and Childress are the two leading scorers)

Interestingly, the team is nicknamed "The Chicago Bulls of Europe"- mainly due to colors and their rise as powers of Europe as the Bulls were dominating the Association

All that said, my cousin told me that they are debating whether Lebron would even entertain an offer, and whether or not it would be worth it in the long shot event that he were to accept. They can offer much more than he could get in the NBA, even double in the $40-60 million range if they so choose. They are passionate about the sport, their team, and their fame, and would make a move like this even if the investment didn't pay off as it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity (what more could a fan want?)

Don't be surprised to hear about an offer at some point. In the end, even if Lebron were to scoff at this (heck even Allen Iverson turned down a pretty solid offer, huge mistake on his part) it puts the Aggelopoulos brothers right back in the headlines, where they like to be. Even more than being rich and famous, they would like to be Champions, and might be willing to do it at any cost
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:23:20 PM by mudimitri »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »

I'm sorry i was born in chicago.
I'm sorry I'm a fan of the city and the sports.
I'm sorry I don't think the fans suck.
I'm sorry that something inside me makes me respond when you attack our teams, players and fans.
I'm sorry that I can't bad mouth every part of the country and blame it on THEIR superiority complexes.
And I'm sorry that your narrow view and prejudices allow me to own you regularly.

to whoever said that BJ had the ability to be a better all around pg in the future.  You have a right to that opinion.  Who knows?  
But, Rose was counted on to be a scoring threat and he still has a very good hands rating according to 82games.com.  You put lebron on that team and his already extremely efficient shot selection will improve as the burden to be a number one option(and double teams) is lifted.  Assits will obviously go up, to's will go down.  I think most of us (not wadeswrold) would agree his defencive and rebounding ceilings are also much higher than BJ.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2010, 03:28:32 PM »
Lebron isn't going to Europe.  It's not even worth entertaining the thought.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »

to whoever said that BJ had the ability to be a better all around pg in the future.  You have a right to that opinion.  Who knows?  

This Bucks fan would trade Jennings for Rose in an instant.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »
Lebron isn't going to Europe.  It's not even worth entertaining the thought.

You must be his agent or brother? Congrats then, you are due for a big payday yourself

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2010, 04:01:10 PM »

Interesting stuff though.  Take everything with a grain of salt on these topics as the only people who truly know are the players themselves, but always fun to hear speculations or general consensus out there around the league.  I think Wade resigns as well, pretty quickly and I think either Bosh or Amar'e are gonna be joining him in Miami.

Okay, this is my last attempt, since it doesn't seem to be connecting for some people. To a 25 year old basketball player, Michael Jordan is God. His church is the United Center, and Bulls fans are his congregation. So is taking the mantle of God glamorous? I think the answer is DUH!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
Okay, this is my last attempt, since it doesn't seem to be connecting for some people. To a 25 year old basketball player, Michael Jordan is God. His church is the United Center, and Bulls fans are his congregation. So is taking the mantle of God glamorous? I think the answer is DUH!
As previously stated:  Look the glamor argument is all perception depending on the person evaluating it.  I'm all about history and 17 titles or whatever speaks VOLUMES to me even though I'm only 23 (and a basketball player myself... sadly not well enough, lol)... others my age MAY only care about what's more current and that's Chicago.  Some are saying if there's a lot of fans then that makes it a glamorous organization... it's all personal feelings and there's no way we are all gonna agree on it.  I will just say I don't think of Chicago as a 'glamorous' organization.

Essentially, yes there's an appeal there, but clearly we are judging glamor totally different.  You are looking at it as "is there a reason to go play for that team" and I am looking at it as "historically what has the team done," which is an area that the Bulls lack historically being as they only had the one run.

feedback