'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2010 Recruit Steadman Short (6'9" PF) Visited Friday (May 7) And Was Offered!!  (Read 30968 times)

T-Bone

• All American
Bart Lundy-MU Director of Operations was High Point's Head coach.  Maybe he was familiar with Steadman.  

Yeah.  Bart signed Steadman while there:
http://www.highpointpanthers.com/news/2007/11/21/2000139.aspx?path=mbball

Steadman being named frosh of the week:
http://www.highpointpanthers.com/news/2009/1/5/252638.aspx?path=mbball
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
A common misconception amongst MU fans about our Jucos...Even though they only spent 1 year at JUCO, neither DJO or Fulce were qualifiers out of HS.  After 4 years in HS, both needed prep school before Juco.

They needed prep school, but they could have gone to a four-year school right out of prep school right?  They didn't have to go Juco.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
We now have 14 players (assuming Gardner signed) for 13 spots and just offered another a spot we technically do not have.  I'm more interested in how we are going to make room for potentially two more players.

GOMU1104

• All American

They needed prep school, but they could have gone to a four-year school right out of prep school right?  They didn't have to go Juco.

Nope, DJO needed to go to JUCO. From Jsonline:

"A former all-state player in high school in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C., Johnson-Odom was forced to go to prep school after graduation because of academic concerns. When that wasn't enough to get him qualified, he moved on to Hutchinson."

As for Fulce...Not 100% sure really. He committed to play for Buzz at UNO in April 2007, then Buzz left for MU in July 2007 and Fulce ended up at Tyler JC for a year. I am not sure if it was because of academics or because it was his only option.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:16:09 AM by GOMU1104 »

GGGG

• All American

"A former all-state player in high school in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C., Johnson-Odom was forced to go to prep school after graduation because of academic concerns. When that wasn't enough to get him qualified, he moved on to Hutchinson."

OK...thank you.

T-Bone

• All American
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
It seems a "last in, first out" scenario with Newbill the most likely candidate. If not him, then Smith. We will also look to sign one more prospect and when that occurs Mbao will be leaving the program. If the three prospects left on the market turn us down, then Newbill and Smith don't need to worry about their prep year.

Wrote this three days ago when I got slammed for hating on Buzz and MU.

Noreen was the first of the three prospects remaining. He's out. Short is the second of the three prospects and its dubious whether he got a true offer but we'll see how Lundy plays this. If the third prospect doesn't show up, expect Newbill to prep and Mbao to stay.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
It seems a "last in, first out" scenario with Newbill the most likely candidate. If not him, then Smith. We will also look to sign one more prospect and when that occurs Mbao will be leaving the program. If the three prospects left on the market turn us down, then Newbill and Smith don't need to worry about their prep year.

Wrote this three days ago when I got slammed for hating on Buzz and MU.

Noreen was the first of the three prospects remaining. He's out. Short is the second of the three prospects and its dubious whether he got a true offer but we'll see how Lundy plays this. If the third prospect doesn't show up, expect Newbill to prep and Mbao to stay.

There has been speculation that Smith may not qualify, and if you recall, Gardener's coach was quoted as saying that "they are waiting on his test scores"...for all we know, Smith AND Gardener aren't qualifying???

Who knows!?  It'll all be sorted out within the next couple of weeks though...

Litehouse

• All American

As for Fulce...Not 100% sure really. He committed to play for Buzz at UNO in April 2007, then Buzz left for MU in July 2007 and Fulce ended up at Tyler JC for a year. I am not sure if it was because of academics or because it was his only option.

Isn't there a little more to it though, since he only did 1 year at juco?  I thought there was some kind of hang up with the NCAA where he wasn't immediately cleared out of Prep School, so he went the juco route.  But after some additional review, the NCAA cleared him during his year at juco.  So technically, he was qualified out of prep school, he just didn't know it until half-way through his juco year when it was too late, which is when Buzz swooped in.

ATWizJr

• All American
There has been speculation that Smith may not qualify, and if you recall, Gardener's coach was quoted as saying that "they are waiting on his test scores"...for all we know, Smith AND Gardener aren't qualifying???

Who knows!?  It'll all be sorted out within the next couple of weeks though...

I think the signing period ends on May 19, so, we should know shortly.

GOMU85

• Starter
Smith is Coming to Marquette for sure! He will be here in July!

Expect Mbao to Leave.

cheebs09

• All American
I thought Fulce qualified out of high school and was ready to go to Texas A&M, but they did not have enough scholarships so he went to a prep school. Then was going to UNO, but Buzz left so he went JUCO one year.

bma725

• All American
I thought Fulce qualified out of high school and was ready to go to Texas A&M, but they did not have enough scholarships so he went to a prep school. Then was going to UNO, but Buzz left so he went JUCO one year.

No, he went to Prep School because he couldn't qualify out of high school.  Then he committed to UNO out of Prep, and was qualified, but did not attend because Buzz left, that's when he went the JUCO route.

willie warrior

• All American
So, now we're all getting a hard-on for a player nobody knew yesterday.
No not all of us. I am not, but it appears that McCheese might be, pointing out that he averaged 7 points as a Frosh at that stellar D1 program High Point.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NCMUFan

• All American
No not all of us. I am not, but it appears that McCheese might be, pointing out that he averaged 7 points as a Frosh at that stellar D1 program High Point.
Would you put High Point on the same level as UW-Mil or UW-GB?  Would you slam a transfer from either of those two schools with those stats their freshman year?  How many freshman big men at Marquette averaged 7 pts per game within the last 10 or 20 years?  Novak, Lazar, Ooze, Amo?  Again it's "In Buzz I trust."  Hopefully they see a diamond in the rough with Steadman.  On the downside, someone is not coming too or coming back to Marquette.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:47:22 PM by NCMUFan »

LON

• All American
I'm amazed no one has made an Oprah joke yet...

Where's ZFB?

MuMark

• All American
This is correct. If he wasn't qualified out of prep school he would have had to stay at Hutchinson for 2 years.

"Isn't there a little more to it though, since he only did 1 year at juco?  I thought there was some kind of hang up with the NCAA where he wasn't immediately cleared out of Prep School, so he went the juco route.  But after some additional review, the NCAA cleared him during his year at juco.  So technically, he was qualified out of prep school, he just didn't know it until half-way through his juco year when it was too late, which is when Buzz swooped in."

Hards Alumni

• All American
Lets pump the brakes folks.  He hasn't signed an LOI yet.

mr.MUskie

• All American
We now have 14 players (assuming Gardner signed) for 13 spots and just offered another a spot we technically do not have.  I'm more interested in how we are going to make room for potentially two more players.

And if we do somehow have room, why was Noreen given a "take it or leave it" offer?  I'd rather have Noreen than this guy that no one on this board ever heard of before today.

MUfan12

• All American
And if we do somehow have room, why was Noreen given a "take it or leave it" offer?  I'd rather have Noreen than this guy that no one on this board ever heard of before today.

If there's one thing I've learned following recruiting, it's take everything, especially from the player's camp, with several grains of salt. Remember, the schools cannot comment on the recruitment, so they set the tone publicly.

willie warrior

• All American
Would you put High Point on the same level as UW-Mil or UW-GB?  Would you slam a transfer from either of those two schools with those stats their freshman year?  How many freshman big men at Marquette averaged 7 pts per game within the last 10 or 20 years?  Novak, Lazar, Ooze, Amo?  Again it's "In Buzz I trust."  Hopefully they see a diamond in the rough with Steadman.  On the downside, someone is not coming to or coming back to Marquette.
No, I would not put High Point at the same level. And comparing what a frosh averaged at high point to what a frosh may not have averaged at MU is ridiculous.

And the mantra of In Buzz I trust is getting old. Yes, he has made some good selections from the Juco ranks: DJO, Butler (unless you want to call that Crean's), and perhaps Bucyks, along with Crowder, but Buzz has had some misses on some of his drafts: Roseboro, maybe Williams, Monterale Clark; Maymon; etc., so if you waqnt to subscribe to the "in Buzz I trust" theory, that is your choice--sort of the "In Barack I trust" crowd. Just saying, we need to scrutinize these things with some degree of "what is going on?"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
I'm amazed no one has made an Oprah joke yet...

Where's ZFB?

sorry, don't know enough about Oprah and her eunuch to make a joke.  :)

Clam Crowder

• All American
This doesn't seem too complicated to me. There have been rumors about Mbao for a while. There is minus one, and Reggie not qualifying is minus two. We add two players we are even. Once again I will stick with what I have been saying. We have good guards, We have Crowder, and Butler. Crowder as I have read does not want to play the 4 but rather the 3. Maybe Buzz is looking at Crowder and his potential and is not ready to have another Maymon happen. Therefore instead of getting a guard when Smith isn't qualifying he is getting a guy to play the 4 behind Butler.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
I don't believe Noreen had a take it or leave it offer.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
No, I would not put High Point at the same level. And comparing what a frosh averaged at high point to what a frosh may not have averaged at MU is ridiculous.

And the mantra of In Buzz I trust is getting old. Yes, he has made some good selections from the Juco ranks: DJO, Butler (unless you want to call that Crean's), and perhaps Bucyks, along with Crowder, but Buzz has had some misses on some of his drafts: Roseboro, maybe Williams, Monterale Clark; Maymon; etc., so if you waqnt to subscribe to the "in Buzz I trust" theory, that is your choice--sort of the "In Barack I trust" crowd. Just saying, we need to scrutinize these things with some degree of "what is going on?"

Pretty bad examples you are using there to debunk the "in Buzz we trust"  mantra.   I dont think there are too many people around especially Bruce peral that don think Maymon is a high major player, he did not work out at Mu so waht happens every day across America.  Same with clark a big big big time recruit, Roseboro I think you are trying to grow a myth. Roseboro could have earned time at Mu but unlike guys like Otule, mbao and EWill was not committed enought to work his but off for 2-3 years to earn playing time, His loss not Mu's, Buzz can replace him.  Ewill is a top 100 kid that would have started at a non BCS school as a Freshman.  Now compare those to Niv Berkowitz, Kevin Menard and the Crean laundry list of kids that had no business on a D1 roster.

Lastly, maybe before you rip High Point too hard you ought to actually take a look at who they play and some of the number this kid put up as a Freshman against them.  I was very impressed with his numerous double digit rebound performances against teams...quite frankly better than UWM or UWGB.

I am not saying we should sign this kid, I am also not going to get into the absolute gussing game as to what might transpire.  However, i will object to these two arguments of yours that are completely off base!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:57:53 PM by Canadian Dimes »

feedback