[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recent Books you have enjoyed  (Read 70391 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Recent Books you have enjoyed
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2023, 08:53:58 AM »
I’ve read a lot of books this year that I’ve truly loved. Either I’m in the midst of strong stretch or I’m getting softer as I age.

Would strongly recommend Gabrielle Zevin’s “Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow”, Emily St. John Mandel’s “ Sea of Tranquility”, and “They Can’t Kill Us Until They Kill Us” by Hanif Abdurraqib.

Thank you BM!  I've read two of Emily St. John Mandel's books, most recently the Glass Hotel.  I thought it was a wonderful book and I believe it's somewhat autobiographical.  I had been meaning to pick-up her newest work. 

If you want a challenge  I just finished a novel called The Bone People by Keri Hulme.  I suppose it's dated but I've never really read anything quite like it and it's understandable why it was so controversial at the time.  I'm hoping to get to New Zealand this year and this is often cited as one of their most consequential novels.

I've also read several of Elif Shafak's works and haven't been disappointed.  She's an incredibly talented writer with deep characters, combined with snippets of historical events.  She's a skilled story teller and writes with great passion and heart. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 08:56:02 AM by MuggsyB »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2023, 09:15:48 AM »
If you're not especially adverse to fictional violence, "Razorblade Tears" by SA Cosby is fantastic.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2023, 01:28:30 PM »
I’ve read a lot of books this year that I’ve truly loved. Either I’m in the midst of strong stretch or I’m getting softer as I age.

Would strongly recommend Gabrielle Zevin’s “Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow”, Emily St. John Mandel’s “ Sea of Tranquility”, and “They Can’t Kill Us Until They Kill Us” by Hanif Abdurraqib.

Station Eleven is my favorite by Mandel, but Sea of Tranquility is up there. Glass Hotel is a notch below but still good. It exists in the same universe as Sea of Tranquility, so there's a little benefit to have read Glass Hotel first (not at all necessary though.)

Hanif Abdurraqib is an incredible writer and music critic (and entertaining follow on social media for sports takes on top of music recommendations.) I find new music and learn more about music history from him than any other source. Be sure to check out A Little Devil in America--his way of weaving history with personal experience is awesome. Also read Go Ahead in the Rain whether or not you're a fan of A Tribe Called Quest. He's got a book about basketball coming out next year, too.

If you're not especially adverse to fictional violence, "Razorblade Tears" by SA Cosby is fantastic.

Good book, but at times felt a tiny bit hokey. I thought Blacktop Wasteland was a little better. Would rec both though.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2023, 03:23:34 PM »
I just started Colbalt Red by Siddarth Kara.  I'm somewhat familiar with this problem but it really is heartbreaking what we have done throughout history to the Congolese people and these young kids.  Terrible. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2023, 07:57:07 AM »
Cobalt Red is definitely worth reading and vitally important to share with others. It's truly sickening, like Heart of Darkness grotesque.   

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2023, 07:10:02 AM »
Station Eleven is my favorite by Mandel, but Sea of Tranquility is up there. Glass Hotel is a notch below but still good. It exists in the same universe as Sea of Tranquility, so there's a little benefit to have read Glass Hotel first (not at all necessary though.)

Hanif Abdurraqib is an incredible writer and music critic (and entertaining follow on social media for sports takes on top of music recommendations.) I find new music and learn more about music history from him than any other source. Be sure to check out A Little Devil in America--his way of weaving history with personal experience is awesome. Also read Go Ahead in the Rain whether or not you're a fan of A Tribe Called Quest. He's got a book about basketball coming out next year, too.

Good book, but at times felt a tiny bit hokey. I thought Blacktop Wasteland was a little better. Would rec both though.

The TV show of the same name on HBO is absolutely fantastic. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2023, 09:14:25 AM »
Don’t read many books . This  is one I enjoyed while on some road trips:

A Land Remembered

By Patrick D Smith

The book chronicles a 100 year History of a Florida Cracker family. A historical fiction about one pioneer family’s struggles and successes .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2023, 04:39:58 PM »
The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman

Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata

Rizzio by Denise Mina

Also, it was awhile ago but I loved the Three Body Problem series. Did anyone else read it?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2023, 04:42:34 PM »
Cobalt Red is definitely worth reading and vitally important to share with others. It's truly sickening, like Heart of Darkness grotesque.

I finished about 70 pages and had to put it down. It’s a necessary read but you definitely have to be in the right mindset it digest it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2023, 01:37:10 PM »
I finished about 70 pages and had to put it down. It’s a necessary read but you definitely have to be in the right mindset it digest it.

It's a fair point.  Very tragic and upsetting history to put it mildly. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2023, 03:54:11 PM »
Reading The Lincoln Highway and concur with others who have enjoyed it. Reminds me of
All the Pretty Horses.  Just finished Old Filth  (failed in London try Hong Kong) by Jane Gardam
I loved her prose, subtle humor and superb character development . Her skill at revealing stages of a man's life that shape him in non-linear fashion while holding the reader wholly and increasingly sympathetic echoes Dickens and E.M. Forster.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2023, 08:36:47 PM »
Seven Moons of Maali Almeida was highly inventive and entertaining.  Having some background in Sri Lankan history would have been helpful but I still found it a really interesting read. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 08:38:32 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2023, 10:39:51 AM »
RIP Martin Amis

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2023, 09:37:05 PM »
Just got finished reading Sister Jean's memoir - co-written by Seth Davis.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  It was interesting reading about the journey that led her to being Loyola's chaplain. 

I also thought it was amusing hearing her describe how she sneaks a little chalk talk into the pregame prayer - something along the lines of "Dear Lord, please bless our players on the court today, and please guide them as they try to prevent number 7 from taking the corner 3..."

She also revealed that she was the first person Porter Moser consulted with as he fielded various coaching offers.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2023, 08:17:55 AM »
Just finished  "Coming to Terms with John F. Kennedy" by Stephen F. Knott.

The book was an excellent read that threaded the needle between the "Camelot" image of Jackie Kennedy and the reactionary image of President Kennedy after the House Assassinations Committee began revealing some of the excesses of the Kennedy Administration. In the process, the book takes one from Mr. Knott being a typically Catholic Kennedy adorer to working in the Kennedy Library to becoming a Reagan Democrat to re-evaluating his own political views in the wake of President Trump.

It's one of the first really balanced views of the Kennedy Administration. For those of us who are into this stuff, it's well written and an excellent read. While I'm not sure Mr. Knott reveals a whole lot of new information, it puts what we know in the perspective that happens with the passage of time.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2023, 10:11:50 AM »
Recently started reading “How to be Perfec   t” subtitled “The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question” by Michael Schur. So far, it is a nice balance of knowledge, questions, perspectives, and humor.

My next book will likely be “Every Thing Is F*cked” subtitled “A Book About Hope.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2023, 05:39:40 AM »
Must read, hey?

Breaking Biden: Exposing the Hidden Forces and Secret Money Machine Behind Joe Biden, His Family, and His Administration
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback