[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Starting Line Up/Introduction Music  (Read 61765 times)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Starting Line Up/Introduction Music
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
Is anyone else sick of U2 “Where the Streets Have No Name” for song played during MU’s entrance? Let me be clear that I love the video but have never been satisfied with the choice of U2. As a student from 04-08 I figured Crean was in charge of it. Since he’s not the most hip guy he probably thought U2 would really rock the house (rolls eyes). After Buzz took over the reigns a couple seasons ago I thought for sure that intro music would be tweaked. Much to my dismay it is still the same stale old song.

Now, this discussion can take all sorts of direction because people are very adamant and passionate about music. Before we get into the so and so band is better than blah blah blah does anyone know what other songs the Big East teams use as an introduction?

I went to the MU @ DePaul game and the Blue Demons used the Black Eyed Peas this year (Barf). On the radio I heard Gtown use an instrumental version of the Notorious B.I.G. “Hypnotize” (edgier, ballsier selection than U2). Do other teams change it up year to year?

The only way I justify “Where the Streets Have No Name” as an intro song is to use reverse psychology. That song (U2 in general) makes me so angry that I would want to destroy my opponent. Otherwise someone in the Athletic Dept. please take note. Also, I really don't have any suggestions off the top of my head, this is just an issue that has bothered me beyond belief since my first MU game in January 04.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Starting Line Up/Introduction Music
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:25:46 PM »
Do not change the song.  Streets is a part of the tradition now.

How does that song not fire you up?

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
Welcome to the board. As if we don't have enough cynical people trolling around here.

And if you are someone who is bothered before the ball is thrown up in the air, you probably have 0 idea as to why you are at a game in the first place.

Welcome

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »
I think we should revisit the name change argument, and use this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05Qot_yh9c&feature=related

:D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:32:09 PM »
Fact:  U2 sucks.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
I'm not cynical for expressing my dismay for U2. I'm glad someone said tradition because I don’t think this qualifies. does anyone actually know when MU first started using "Where the Streets Have No Name"? Sure MU has a Final 4 appearance under its belt using the song. Other than that, it has what? Two whopping tourney wins.

As for the suggestion about using the clip from the movie The Warriors, I’m all for it. That movie is classic and influential.

Why is everyone so against a little change?

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »
I would love them to switch things up.   It would be pretty sweet if they would do something with Edgar Winter's Frankenstein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olKilzV1G1s

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
As for the suggestion about using the clip from the movie The Warriors, I’m all for it. That movie is classic and influential.

I already tried...sent a letter to the committee back during the "Gold" name change fiasco a few years back. But I don't think there's any way a Catholic university would ever let their basketball team come out to anything that was inspired by a film about street gangs.  :'(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
The song does rock the BC crowd, so unroll your eyes.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am opposed to them changing it.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:51:16 PM »
Is anyone else sick of U2 “Where the Streets Have No Name” for song played during MU’s entrance?

No.

I still get chills hearing it as the "We are Mar-quette" chant starts up. I may still think "at guard, a 5 foot 11 inch (senior) from Richmond Indiana number 1, Dominic JAMES" and so on when that song comes on the radio

The only song I like hearing more at the BC is the 7 Nation Army chant

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:59:48 PM »
Fact: U2 does suck

Streets does not.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »
The Greatest Entrance in College Sports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h1EW5z1wdc

If you get a chance, go to Blacksburg for a night game.  You'll never forget it.

PS - The Warrior/Bottle chant is something me and others wanted to start all the way back in the late 80s.  That would be classic.

Go Warriors.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
No.

I still get chills hearing it as the "We are Mar-quette" chant starts up. I may still think "at guard, a 5 foot 11 inch (senior) from Richmond Indiana number 1, Dominic JAMES" and so on when that song comes on the radio

The only song I like hearing more at the BC is the 7 Nation Army chant

+1  I'm not a U2 fan by any means, but I know they've been playing that song since my first game back in '02, and I get chills any time it comes on.  8 years is long enough to be a tradition in my book.  

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:43 PM »
Fact: U2 does suck

Streets does not.

I'll have to disagree with you.  The intro to Streets is kinda awesome.  The song itself is "meh" at best.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:17:31 PM »
I love Streets, But that va-tech intro was nasty. I'd be down for a switch to Metallica. Actually, since by far the best intro song for anything ever (excepting the Star Spangled Banner introducing an American Gold Medalist on the podium) is Trevor Hoffman coming out to Hell's Bells, I'd be down for a switch to that too.

But you gotta keep in mind that because there are player announcements and things that might change the impact of the song.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
I'll have to disagree with you.  The intro to Streets is kinda awesome.  The song itself is "meh" at best.

THREADJACK ALERT   :o  :o  :o  :o

If U2 sucks, who is good?  They have had 12 studio albums, 8 were awesome/very good (War, Boy, October, Achtung, J-Tree, All that You Can Leave Behind, The Unforgettable Fire, Rattle & Hum) 2 stinkers, (Pop and Zooropa), and 3 okays (No Line,  Atomic Bomb)

Have toured successfully, are all gifted musicians, take chances, write their music...whatever yeah Bono is a jag, but no other band since 1980 can touch the impact U2 has had on the music world, IMHO of course.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
Man, I hate the offseason.

Streets is part of the MU gameday experience, tradition, etc....it needs stay.  We have some of the best intros in college basketball...no need to change a thing.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 01:50:01 PM »
Something with attitude would be nice. Marquette basketball is tough. The Big East is the premier conference in the country. I want something that makes a statement. Something that scares other teams and let’s them know they are in for 40 minutes of hell. NOT something that makes me feel all warm inside.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
I think overall the song choices by MU are great.  Not only streets but back when they used "We Ready" in pregame, along with Right here right now by fatboy slim.  Overall I think whoever is coming up with song choices and video is doing pretty good.

On a side note it was great to hear them announce DJ as starting guard on Senior night 2009.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
I love Streets, But that va-tech intro was nasty. I'd be down for a switch to Metallica. Actually, since by far the best intro song for anything ever (excepting the Star Spangled Banner introducing an American Gold Medalist on the podium) is Trevor Hoffman coming out to Hell's Bells, I'd be down for a switch to that too.

But you gotta keep in mind that because there are player announcements and things that might change the impact of the song.

Agree that "Hell's Bells" is the best intro going. However, would a Catholic institution want a song entitled "Hell's Bells" being played at their sporting events? I say that partially in jest, but it might actually be something to consider.

Whatever. "Streets" should stay as the intro song.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
If Streets makes you feel ""all warm inside" then you haven't been watching MU bball for a very long time.

90 percent of the people I talk to say they get goosebumps at the mere sound of Streets.  It invokes all of the great bball memories by our team over the years.

Where were you 2 years ago when the debate came up and we had people protesting MU Director of Something or another Craig Pintens (sp?) to change the song back.

(Sidenote: Va Tech's entrance is without a doubt the best in College Sports)

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 02:03:34 PM »
Something with attitude would be nice. Marquette basketball is tough. The Big East is the premier conference in the country. I want something that makes a statement. Something that scares other teams and let’s them know they are in for 40 minutes of hell. NOT something that makes me feel all warm inside.

The Bull's have had the same intro for ages, Sirius by the Alan Parsons Project.  Not really an "in your face" song, but you can't tell me that it doesn't get in guys heads a little bit when they had to hear that and know Jordan and team were waiting for them at tip-off.  The team makes the song.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »
Agree that "Hell's Bells" is the best intro going. However, would a Catholic institution want a song entitled "Hell's Bells" being played at their sporting events? I say that partially in jest, but it might actually be something to consider.

Tell that to the AV people that often play it just prior to the second half tip at most home games...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 02:04:53 PM »
oh I'm aware that we'd never use Hell's Bells as an intro. And I'm totally on board with sticking to Streets. I was just pointing out a couple other good intros. But really though, part of why Streets and Enter Sandman don't compare well is the difference in intro style. For Va-Tech football it builds and then like a medieval infantry charge the entire team rushes onto the field. No other announcements necessary. For our bball intros, Streets builds but then drops to a background for the voice overs. I think that affects what types of songs would work and what types wouldn't.

Mortgage guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »

feedback