[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: First "Buzz to...." speculation  (Read 18398 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: First "Buzz to...." speculation
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 06:56:04 PM »
Coaches move for two main reasons. 1) Money, which should not be a problem at MU and 2) recruiting. I think Buzz knows he can recruit at MU. Crean was having trouble, but he will find out at Indiana that the trouble was him and not MU. Given that I believe Buzz when he says MU and him have the same values. I do think it is time for MU to come up with a new contract. The only thying that worries me is Fr. Wild retiring. Cincy gets a new president and they fire Huggins. Indiana gets a new president and they fire Knight. Sure those coaches had some baggage, but you cannot ever discount the effect of a new president at the school.

boyonthedock

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
those two coaches had quite a few things about them worth questioning. I can't imagine what type of problem someone could have with buzz williams.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »
Shows a lot of respect already assembled for Buzz, which is pretty difficult to do in less than two years.  Kudos to them!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »
Contracts don't mean stink. But, Buzz ain't goin' nowhere fast this year.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TheDawson

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
plus i'd rather spend my days in milwaukee over places like bloomington and storrs.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »
I love the job Buzz has done but let's remember that three of his key players (Zar/MO/Cuby) are all Tom Crean recruits (just stating the facts!).  As an alum I hope like hell MU's stock keeps rising but there is no guarantee it will.  When Junior Cadougan's senior year comes around we will have a true sense of Buzz's abilities.  For now... let's ring out ahoya and keep the run going!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TheDawson

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »
. Crean was having trouble, but he will find out at Indiana that the trouble was him and not MU.
Pretty sure he's already figured that out. He's clueless when it comes to offering the young guys.

2010 - 3 star SG Victor Oladipo(MD), 3 star SG Will Sheehey(FL)
2011 - 3 star SG Matt Carlino (IN), 4 star SF Austin Etherington(IN)

Indiana missed out on the top 3 in-state kids. Purdue, OSU, and MSU stole them

There are 6 top 50 kids from Indiana in 11' and Indiana will be lucky to land one of them(Zeller)

I thought a school like Indiana recruited itself?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
With all that we know now about the UNO situation, without a doubt Buzz made the right call. Even if he didn't get the MU job and followed Crean to IU as an assistant, Buzz made the right call.

Not disagreeing with the theme of your post Chicos, but you can't fault Buzz for leaving UNO or use it as an indicator of future behavior.

I'm not disagreeing, though some of what happened at UNO came several years later. My point is some would argue the "classy" thing to do would have been to stick it out.  I'm sure UNO fans would say that.  Do I think Buzz Williams made the right call leaving UNO?  Yes, I do.  He bettered his lot in life, he bettered his family situation.  To me, class has nothing to do with it and fans just get let down when coaches, players (in the pros) leave for other cities when they believe someone is loyal, classy, etc, would never leave.

It's almost never the case.  If Buzz leaves, I would tip my hat to him and say thank you.  I hope he doesn't, but I'm quite certain if he leaves it won't be because he became classless, it will be because of opportunity or comfort or something else.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:06:16 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »
Pretty sure he's already figured that out. He's clueless when it comes to offering the young guys.

2010 - 3 star SG Victor Oladipo(MD), 3 star SG Will Sheehey(FL)
2011 - 3 star SG Matt Carlino (IN), 4 star SF Austin Etherington(IN)

Indiana missed out on the top 3 in-state kids. Purdue, OSU, and MSU stole them

There are 6 top 50 kids from Indiana in 11' and Indiana will be lucky to land one of them(Zeller)

I thought a school like Indiana recruited itself?

He'll have a few years to figure all that out.  They won 4 conference games this year, only 1 last year.  They are improving and that's what Fred Glass wants, improvement.  Next year they should be around a NIT team and likely a finish around 7th or so.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
Haywood, Cubillan, and Acker may have come here during the Crean tenure, but, I 'm convinced he wouldn't have accomplished what Buzz has this season or last, nor would we still be playing tomorrow.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »
Chicos - at this very moment - if you had the pick of Crean or Buzz to coach MU, who would you pick?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »
Haywood, Cubillan, and Acker may have come here during the Crean tenure, but, I 'm convinced he wouldn't have accomplished what Buzz has this season or last, nor would we still be playing tomorrow.

I totally agree!  I'm just curious to see how Buzz does molding his own team.  My guess is he will ultimately succeed only if he can recruit some air craft carrier muscle to go with his long and lean recruits.  I love everything he's accomplished so far!  How sweet would it be to win the BET?!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »
What is Buzz's current contract situation?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
+1

If location was all that mattered, DePaul would be one of the most sought after jobs in the country. Best city in the country and spilling over with recruits.
We Are Marquette

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
Philadelphia is a little bit easier to recruit to than Milwaukee.
Please justify?  Is Philadephia pulling in players from Texas and Chicago and Florida?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »
I just hope Philly talent DJ Newbill is a keeper!

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
Please justify?  Is Philadephia pulling in players from Texas and Chicago and Florida?

No, but its got the whole east coast.

Plus the southern ties are Buzz's and aren't inherent to the program. That was the reason he got brought in as an assistant in the first place. Plus a lot of those guys are JUCOs, which is a whole different animal.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
He'll have a few years to figure all that out.  They won 4 conference games this year, only 1 last year.  They are improving and that's what Fred Glass wants, improvement.  Next year they should be around a NIT team and likely a finish around 7th or so.
So, Tom Crean has reeled in 3-3 star recruits and 1, 4-star for 2010 and 2011??  With all that playing time he has available down there, plus IU being IU and the main state school in Indiana, you would think he would have landed more talent??

And Chicos to even mention Buzz leaving New Orleans after 1 year, and trying to draw a parallel to him leaving MU is ridiculously ludicrous.  Come on, you're better than that.  UNO is now a Division 3 men's basketball program, that at the time Buzz was coach couldn't fund meal money or practice facilities.  Why would any coach commit coaching suicide in his first head coaching gig, with that little support??  Please stop trying to rain on every positive associated with Buzz.  I don't care if you make statements like you "hope he sticks around," etc...it is pretty clear you have to caveat every single positive associated with Buzz, and it does get a little bit old.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
What is Buzz's current contract situation?

I don't recall how many years he signed for, maybe five? Regardless, it's already time to tear up that contract and give him a new one with a very big raise. Father Wild isn't checking out till June 2011, so hopefully that will get done soon.

GuamanianTerror

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
This is a man who cannot recognize the need to run his offense through superior talent. I will watch him lose every other game

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:47 AM »
Chicos - at this very moment - if you had the pick of Crean or Buzz to coach MU, who would you pick?

Buzz, because he's the coach.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 12:08:46 AM »
If location was all that mattered, DePaul would be one of the most sought after jobs in the country. Best city in the country and spilling over with recruits.

Was this supposed to be in Teal?  Especially the part about the best city in America?  The International Olympic Committee doesn't agree with you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
So, Tom Crean has reeled in 3-3 star recruits and 1, 4-star for 2010 and 2011??  With all that playing time he has available down there, plus IU being IU and the main state school in Indiana, you would think he would have landed more talent??

And Chicos to even mention Buzz leaving New Orleans after 1 year, and trying to draw a parallel to him leaving MU is ridiculously ludicrous.  Come on, you're better than that.  UNO is now a Division 3 men's basketball program, that at the time Buzz was coach couldn't fund meal money or practice facilities.  Why would any coach commit coaching suicide in his first head coaching gig, with that little support??  Please stop trying to rain on every positive associated with Buzz.  I don't care if you make statements like you "hope he sticks around," etc...it is pretty clear you have to caveat every single positive associated with Buzz, and it does get a little bit old.

I wasn't comparing the two.  I said quite clearly that class has nothing to do with it, and that is correct.  Besides, "class" is determined by those who feel the need to judge in that manner.  Like I said, if Buzz leaves, I would not think it's classless.  Some people would.  At New Orleans, I'm sure (in fact we know based on their fans) that they felt it was classless.  Again, I said him leaving New Orleans WAS NOT classless.

Really, you need to read more clearly, I don't know any other way of saying it.  I realize the situations are different, but the thread was talking about class and coaches leaving.  Class has nothing to do with it.  A coach is going to leave or not leave to preserve his image or class.  They could give a rip.  It's about taking care of their family, their career, taking advantage of an opportunity, etc.  

And you still do not understand what happened at IU so I don't know why you continue to go there.  Total destruction and rebuilding of a program.  I don't know why you keep coming back to an adage that doesn't work in that situation, but knock your socks off.

GuamanianTerror

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 12:13:27 AM »
Philadelphia is a little bit easier to recruit to than Milwaukee.

Have you ever been to Philly? what a train wreck of a city