[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: First "Buzz to...." speculation  (Read 18404 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: First "Buzz to...." speculation
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:46 AM »
Never take a coach for granted. As good of a guy I think Buzz is, he wouldn't be the first to leave. His comments about saying here mean absolutely nothing. What is he suppose to say? "I like it here, but if I get big time offer I'm leaving"?

Just remember, not too long ago Crean bought a house in Theinesville and he was saying he was here for the next decade with his new contract.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The thing that everyone is losing sight of.....
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 12:51:45 AM »
The thing that everyone is losing sight of.....another national talking head talking about one of our head coaches being sought after to go to a better job.

This is what drives me crazy and why the stepping stone imagery is too bad.  MU lost so many coaches, so fast in the 80's and 90's, even after 9 years of the previous coach, this is the mentality.

That's one reason why I hope Williams is here for a LONG time.  The same reason why I was glad Crean stayed so long.

This stepping stone image has got to be shaken or the perpetual cycle will continue for years to come.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 06:29:07 AM »
Was this supposed to be in Teal?  Especially the part about the best city in America?  The International Olympic Committee doesn't agree with you.

Did I miss the news where the Olympics were just granted to a city in the U.S.?

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: The thing that everyone is losing sight of.....
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:59 AM »
The thing that everyone is losing sight of.....another national talking head talking about one of our head coaches being sought after to go to a better job.

This is what drives me crazy and why the stepping stone imagery is too bad.  MU lost so many coaches, so fast in the 80's and 90's, even after 9 years of the previous coach, this is the mentality.

That's one reason why I hope Williams is here for a LONG time.  The same reason why I was glad Crean stayed so long.

This stepping stone image has got to be shaken or the perpetual cycle will continue for years to come.

Agree 100%.... and it does'nt help recruiting if a player thinks the coach will be gone in a year or two. Hope Buzz realizes he has a great gig at one of the best programs in one of the best conferences in the country.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »

While I agree with the general direction of your post, I wouldn't agree that this is because we "lost so many coaches."  MU has really only lost two coaches that they didn't force out the door.  KO to Tennessee and TC to IU. 

And to be honest, I think everyone can see why TC left.  He's a B10 guy going to lead one of the top historic programs of college basketball.  KO leaving stung, but that was a long time ago, and MU is in a much better place since then.

So IMO I think this takes care of itself.  You know that MU will pony up the $$$ to keep Buzz.  And unless Buzz and family just doesn't like Milwaukee, and would rather just be at a place like Texas Tech because it is "home," I really can't see him leaving to go just anywhere.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 08:07:47 AM »

And to be honest, I think everyone can see why TC left.  He's a B10 guy going to lead one of the top historic programs of college basketball.  KO leaving stung, but that was a long time ago, and MU is in a much better place since then.

This is right. After many years of speculation, it took one of the highest profile jobs out there to make Crean leave.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »

This drives me crazy. I remember back in 2003 when a national reporter asked Crean how if felt for a mid major to make it to the final four. We don't get respect.  Milwaukee has always had an inferiority complex that the national media picks up on. Maybe from going back to losing the Braves or Kareem to the Lakers. It would be nice to finally break that image, maybe Marquette can get it done.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »
Was this supposed to be in Teal?  Especially the part about the best city in America?  The International Olympic Committee doesn't agree with you.

Is Rio in America?

If the Olympic Committee is the deciding vote, then I guess Atlanta is one of our finest cities.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:04 AM »
Is Rio in America?

If the Olympic Committee is the deciding vote, then I guess Atlanta is one of our finest cities.

As are LA (2x), Squaw Valley, and Lake Placid.   Hey, Chico, you are out there on the left coast.   LA is one of the crown jewels of the republic, yes?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2010, 08:51:52 AM »
Lol...a lot of Chicago dander raised this morning. 

L.A. one of the jewels?  God no.  I think it's a dump.  It has it's moments as does Chicago, but I had to laugh when the poster said Chicago is a crown jewel or whatever was said.   It's a proud city that the locals ( who choose to stay) love...totally understand.  It is not a city that I believe a lot of people are clamouring to setup shop in from other parts of the country. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
This is right. After many years of speculation, it took one of the highest profile jobs out there to make Crean leave.

Correct, but the talking heads started the crap after 3 years.  MU has this perception with some national sports guys as a launching point.  It came up with KO, with Deane, TC and now with Buzz.

It's too bad that MU has this reputation despite the amount of money we pour in.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:59:58 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »
Lets not fool underestimate ourselves.  marquette is a top tier program.  We are a big east perrennial contender, and realistically, there are few schools that many people would see as an upgrade over us.  Creen left because Indiana is one of the top 5 greatest college basketball programs, an opportunity you can't pass up.  But unless a power job like that comes open, I don't think their our many real upgrades out there.  Marquette pays as well as any school in the country, has great facilities, and is solid academically.  The only job that would scare me conecerning buzz williams if it came open, would be the Texas job.  But to think that Marquette has not turned into a very desireable job, and to think that there are a ton of programs out there that trump marquette just isn't true.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Lets not fool underestimate ourselves.  marquette is a top tier program.  We are a big east perrennial contender, and realistically, there are few schools that many people would see as an upgrade over us.  Creen left because Indiana is one of the top 5 greatest college basketball programs, an opportunity you can't pass up.  But unless a power job like that comes open, I don't think their our many real upgrades out there.  Marquette pays as well as any school in the country, has great facilities, and is solid academically.  The only job that would scare me conecerning buzz williams if it came open, would be the Texas job.  But to think that Marquette has not turned into a very desireable job, and to think that there are a ton of programs out there that trump marquette just isn't true.

+1

What is an upgrade over MU?  We are a top half school in a top conference.  I think their are only a handful of schools and none of them are looking for a coach right now.

Yes, Texas might be an upgrade in Buzz's mind.  However, is Buzz someone that Texas would court if their job was open right now?  A guy that has two years of major college ball epxerience and has outperformed.  Seems a Jamie Dixon, someone that has recruited and coached that a team to a #1 seed would be more their liking.

If Buzz was coaching Xavier/Houston/Butler he would be a hot property.  Fact is he has a "hot property" job now.

Lastly, as we found out with Crean, MU will pay.  So, Buzz doesn;t have to worry about getting short changed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
Is Rio in America?

I like Atlanta, more so than Chicago.  I just don't think Chicago is the best city in America and can't imagine it making any type of national list saying it is.  I personally like Chicago, but I was snorting a bit at the original comment saying it was the best city in America, that's all.

Chicago recently made one of the worst cities in America.  In 2009 it was voted most Miserable City in America by Forbes Magazine.  http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/06/most-miserable-cities-business-washington_0206_miserable_cities.html

In 2010, it had climbed to 10th most miserable....so strides are being made

http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/11/americas-most-miserable-cities-business-beltway-miserable-cities_slide_11.html

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »
Also, when people speculate about coaches leaving MU, I don't think they know the situation in any real depth.... They probably only think about the "cold weather" city talk, but with global warming coming on, we may have that licked soon.

If you're truly a die hard Marquette fan, buy yourself a Hummer (of the SUV variety) and switch to spray deodorant.  Tell Gore to go screw his carbon offsets... we need Milwaukee to be in a warm climate!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2010, 09:31:04 AM »

I hope you are right, but considering that the top 3 guys we went after 2 years ago said no within 24 hours, I'm not completely sold on that theory.  MU hasn't been able to land a "name" coach from a solid program in about 50 years.  We've had great hires from smaller schools or assistants, but have not been able to lure a coach over from a power program. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »
I like Atlanta, more so than Chicago.  I just don't think Chicago is the best city in America and can't imagine it making any type of national list saying it is.  I personally like Chicago, but I was snorting a bit at the original comment saying it was the best city in America, that's all.

Chicago recently made one of the worst cities in America.  In 2009 it was voted most Miserable City in America by Forbes Magazine.  http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/06/most-miserable-cities-business-washington_0206_miserable_cities.html

In 2010, it had climbed to 10th most miserable....so strides are being made

http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/11/americas-most-miserable-cities-business-beltway-miserable-cities_slide_11.html

Chicos ... when picking the best city in America, do you put a 99% weight on weather?  It can't be a nice city if it is cold and snowy in Janaury.

You live in LA, correct?  Everything about LA says is a disaster of a place, except its 75 and sunny in January so that offsets everything else.

No doubt in my mind Chicago is one of the best cities in the country, closely followed by NYC.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
Chicos ... when picking the best city in America, do you put a 99% weight on weather?  It can't be a nice city if it is cold and snowy in Janaury.

You live in LA, correct?  Everything about LA says is a disaster of a place, except its 75 and sunny in January so that offsets everything else.

No doubt in my mind Chicago is one of the best cities in the country, closely followed by NYC.
LA is a million times better than Chicago and NYC, and I live in NYC.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
My reason to fire back at Chicos
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2010, 09:43:44 AM »
Wasn't that he believes Chicago is not the finest city, but using the IOC as his initial barometer.

If I were picking a city, my preference would be Naples, FL. Suprised Florida Gulf Coast U is not a sports powerhouse :)

KipsBayEagle

Re: My reason to fire back at Chicos
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2010, 09:46:38 AM »
If I were picking a city, my preference would be Naples, FL. Suprised Florida Gulf Coast U is not a sports powerhouse :)

Binge drinking, tanning, and showing your tits aren't officially recongnized division 1A sports yet.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:34 AM »
Naples, LA, Atlanta.  These are not cities, they are suburbs. 

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
Naples, LA, Atlanta.  These are not cities, they are suburbs. 

and Grizzly adams had a beard.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
LA is a million times better than Chicago and NYC, and I live in NYC.

San Diego isn't half bad!

GGGG

• All American
Re: My reason to fire back at Chicos
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »
If I were picking a city, my preference would be Naples, FL.

I didn't realize you were 80 years old.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »
San Diego isn't half bad!
San Diego isn't a real place, it's like narnia or detroit....