[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: First "Buzz to...." speculation  (Read 18405 times)

tower912

• All American
First "Buzz to...." speculation
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
3:18 PM, CST, it begins.  Did anyone notice midway through the second half when the ESPN crew started down the path of with all that Buzz has accomplished on the floor and the way he is off the floor other programs are going to come sniffing?    Fran kind of pooh-poohed it, saying that MU takes care of good ones.   So let the games begin.   I hope all the interested teams go through gumbyandpokey.   He will give them the REAL dope on Williams and nobody else will take him.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:37:22 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: First "Buzz to...." speculation
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:36:23 PM »
Buzz probably won't be a highly sought after coach due to his teams not practicing free throws, and the fact he doesn't foul when ahead by 3 with 15 seconds left in the game with the other team bringing the ball up.

We should be safe for awhile, until he repents his ways. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »
I heard this on the broadcast.  I'm thankful we are playing well enough to warrant this type of speculation!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »
I'll be here as long as they let me.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
Damm!  And the second year not yet over!  I think that Buzz will hang in there at least as long as Crean.  He is, I think a loyal guy.  As I remember, Crean moving on happened right around the time that the annual chatter about him moving on had started to die down.  If you have to be tempted by a program like Indiana to move on, MU must have some allure.  

Also, when people speculate about coaches leaving MU, I don't think they know the situation in any real depth.  Do they know that MU has a great new on campus facility?  Do they know MU is THE largest spender on its basketball program in the Big East?  Do they know about the Nike deal?  They probably only think about the "cold weather" city talk, but with global warming coming on, we may have that licked soon.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

boyonthedock

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »
plus i'd rather spend my days in milwaukee over places like bloomington and storrs.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
Doubtful this year, unless we win 2-3 in the dance and really make a splash.

Look .. the universe of programs significantly better than MU isn't that huge.

Truth is, many will STILL look at Buzz as a guy who took Crean's players last year and didn't screw up.  This year, while we've fantastically beaten expectations .. how many of the ~15 major step-up programs are really going to take a flyer on one very solid year of his own, and make him one of the ~10 most highly paid coaches in order to grab him?  

Not worried for another year or two of success.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
I truely believe Buzz thinks he can build Marquette into what Jay Wright has built Villanova into. What doesn't he not have at MU? You win enough big games like today and you'll get plenty of national respect and attention.

boyonthedock

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
Realistically, marquette is a B+ basketball school. And college bball aint harvard, there arent many A's out there.

MU_BabyBlue11

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
plus i'd rather spend my days in milwaukee over places like bloomington and storrs.

+1

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »
I thought the comment was a little premature.  I don't think he is going anywhere for a while.  He has the chance to build something special at MU and it seems like he wants that.  While I don't think he is a 30 year coach at MU, I think he has some work to do here.  Does MU give him a 10 year extension for huge money?  ;)

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
Buzz probably won't be a highly sought after coach due to his teams not practicing free throws, and the fact he doesn't foul when ahead by 3 with 15 seconds left in the game with the other team bringing the ball up.

We should be safe for awhile, until he repents his ways.  

That's funny!

Plus, potential suitors know he's on a 3-4 year "probation" period... lol.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
I truely believe Buzz thinks he can build Marquette into what Jay Wright has built Villanova into. What doesn't he not have at MU? You win enough big games like today and you'll get plenty of national respect and attention.

Philadelphia is a little bit easier to recruit to than Milwaukee.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Philadelphia is a little bit easier to recruit to than Milwaukee.

Well, maybe Buzz will have to work just a little bit harder than Jay Wright then.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
Also, when people speculate about coaches leaving MU, I don't think they know the situation in any real depth.  Do they know that MU has a great new on campus facility?  Do they know MU is THE largest spender on its basketball program in the Big East?  Do they know about the Nike deal?  They probably only think about the "cold weather" city talk, but with global warming coming on, we may have that licked soon.

The people that were speculating about this during the game for sure do know this.

Like i said in the game day chat thread after i heard this. I dont know how many years Buzz signed on for, but i have to believe that Buzz likes his situation. He is nto going to bite the hand that fed him his opportunity. I think when his initial contract is up, Buzz negotiates a payday... still at Marquette. The next contract i would think would be 6-8 maybe 10 years. depending on how he does after that... Buzz may move up the coaching ladder. But for the mean time, Buzz is staying put. He's to classy a guy to leave after 2 years. that is until the Indiana job opens up. It's Indiana, it's Indiana.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

jmd1914

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
Buzz has always said that he wants to stay at Marquette until the end of his career, and i think his exact quote was "I will be here until they don't want me anymore"

I dont expect him to go anywhere for a while (knock on wood)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
The people that were speculating about this during the game for sure do know this.

Like i said in the game day chat thread after i heard this. I dont know how many years Buzz signed on for, but i have to believe that Buzz likes his situation. He is nto going to bite the hand that fed him his opportunity. I think when his initial contract is up, Buzz negotiates a payday... still at Marquette. The next contract i would think would be 6-8 maybe 10 years. depending on how he does after that... Buzz may move up the coaching ladder. But for the mean time, Buzz is staying put. He's to classy a guy to leave after 2 years. that is until the Indiana job opens up. It's Indiana, it's Indiana.

Careful, he left after just 1 year at another school.  No one is in his head and the fans of every team in the country all say the same thing "why would he leave here for {fill in city and school}"   It happens all the time and has nothing to do with class or anything else.

It's about comfort, lifestyle, opportunity, etc.  He could be here 20 years (I hope that's the case as it would mean MU is rolling).  Or he could be gone in 3 weeks.  I'd be careful to link class with any of it because a person is going to do what he's going to do, to better his lot in life for his family, and himself.  That's what he did in New Orleans (yes, many circumstances involved, but that's my point, we just don't know what is out there).

I think Hilltopper is also correct. How many MAJOR big time jobs are open this year?  Not many.  Maybe UCONN.  Very unlikely a school like that takes a coach that hasn't coached one full cycle yet (his players, no players inherited, etc). 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
Buzz to DePaul ( I had to be first at something).

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
I would only worry about Texas since that is home... Texas Tech and A&M would be a step down. Texas would be a perennial giant with him over Barnes.  Hopefully Barnes can keep recruiting burger boys and doesn't screw up.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »
Careful, he left after just 1 year at another school. 

With all that we know now about the UNO situation, without a doubt Buzz made the right call. Even if he didn't get the MU job and followed Crean to IU as an assistant, Buzz made the right call.

Not disagreeing with the theme of your post Chicos, but you can't fault Buzz for leaving UNO or use it as an indicator of future behavior.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 05:51:40 PM »
Buzz to Indiana.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
Maybe class was the wrong word to use.

He left a head coaching position at a Sun Belt Conference school to become the assitant at a Big East school.

If MU came to my office and offered me an assistant to the assistant coach I would take it. If i were to move up to head coach some random, overnight way and my first two years were what Buzz's have been, I dont leave for the first opportunity i am presented. I think you need to stay put and say thank you to the University that gave you your chance.

All i am trying to say is that he found himself in a great position and, If i were him, I wouldnt be too quick to get out of there. Your right though... he only leaves MU for a better, more prestigious university. And as you said,
How many MAJOR big time jobs are open this year?  Not many.  Maybe UCONN.  Very unlikely a school like that takes a coach that hasn't coached one full cycle yet (his players, no players inherited, etc).  
Buzz is here and ain't going nowhere, unless a top tier school comes around and offers him a shocking offer; the same shocking offer we gave him almost two years ago.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
All i am trying to say is that he found himself in a great position and, If i were him, I wouldnt be too quick to get out of there.

To be fair, he worked himself into a great position, and got a little luck with Crean leaving.  However, I see no reason why he wouldn't keep working hard at MU if they continue to work hard to support him and the basketball/athletics programs.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »
All it may take is one bad winter for him to miss the SW... :-\

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »

I totally reject your point that the TV analysts doing the game know what's happening in Milwaukee with regard to global warming!

I believe that your statement: "He's to classy a guy to leave after 2 years", is right on target.  Coaching college B-ball is tough enough on a person and that person's family without moving on with each opportunity.  Getting these mentions are bittersweet; its great to know that Buzz's success is getting noticed, but you know its going to start being brought up by other schools in negative recruiting.

Finally, in regard to Indiana: might you perhaps be privy to some unexpected breaking news?  ;)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback