[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011  (Read 37764 times)

LON

• All American
Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/86348087.html

Apologies if this has already been brought up...

EDIT:  Put an 'e' on Wild
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:08:17 AM by LancesOtherNut »

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
Re: Fr. Wilde to retire in June 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »
Hopefully the next guy appreciates The Marquette Warriors and changes our name.
 :P

"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Daniel

• All American
Re: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
Oh wow - that would be when my daughter starts at MU if she selects to go there - he has been 100% positive for Marquette and has led our university with tru skill for about 14 years.  I persoanlly will be sorry to see him step down - he has had a tremendously positive impact on our school.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
Just came here to post this... hopefully the next guy is willing to put as much time and effort (and money) into the bball program.  Father Wilde wasn't half bad :)

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/86348087.html

Apologies if this has already been brought up...

EDIT:  Put an 'e' on Wild

Glad to see this guy go.  Hopefully, MU will bring in someone who will consider bringing back the Warriors name.  It's nice to see, though, that the article does accurately say that Wild "vigorously opposed" the Warriors name.  I remember some defending him saying he personally wanted it back, which was never the case.

edit: little respect, hey.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:21:25 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »
A good person who understood athletics within the context of higher education. 

And a million times better than the disaster known as DiUlio.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »
The name isn't coming back no matter who the president is.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »
Glad to see the arrogant prick go.  Hopefully, MU will bring in someone who will consider bringing back the Warriors name.  It's nice to see, though, that the article does accurately say that Wilde "vigorously opposed" the Warriors name.  I remember some defending him saying he personally wanted it back, which was never the case.

I've never seen any sign that this was the case.  Care to elaborate or are you just sore about the nickname?

And be careful what you wish for, the next guy might not be willing to commit as many resources to the hoops program, which would be an umitigated disaster of epic proportions.  It would be much worse than any stupid nickname issue.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »
We called him "Wild" Bob Wild when he was a professor.  

Big shoes to fill.  Not Fr. Raynor big, but right behind him.

Correct spelling is "Wild"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
Glad to see the arrogant prick go.  Hopefully, MU will bring in someone who will consider bringing back the Warriors name.  It's nice to see, though, that the article does accurately say that Wilde "vigorously opposed" the Warriors name.  I remember some defending him saying he personally wanted it back, which was never the case.

Agreed.

Clearly the nickname is holding MU back.

Record enrollment
Record applications (yes, I know applications are up for most schools, but still...)
Big East
New Buildings all over campus
Donations are up
Etc. etc.

Clearly Fr Wild and "golden eagles" have been holding MU back.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
A good person who understood athletics within the context of higher education. 

And a million times better than the disaster known as DiUlio.

I'll never understand why people hammer DiUlio and brownnose Wilde.  One would blow you off with a scowl, the other blows you off with a smile.  Same end result, just a different style.

And I'm not defending DiUlio at all.  I had dealings with the guy about the nickname issue when I was on student govt at MU on some mascot committee, and he was as obnoxious as you can believe.  But Wilde holds the same PC beliefs but just smiles when he dismisses your views.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »
Glad to see the arrogant prick go.

That's just wrong.  He may be the best president MU ever had, (with much respect to Father Raynor).  Yes, I strongly disagree with his position on the nickname, but stack that up against all he's done for the University as a whole, AND the resources he's allowed to be funneled into the athletic department.

And, he's not arrogant at all.  Extremely approachable, affable, and easy going.  

And it's Wild, not Wilde.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:24:10 AM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »
Glad to see the arrogant prick go.

Wow, you've made some outrageous posts, but this is completely uncalled for.  Fr. Wild has arguably done as much good for MU as anyone.  If you want arrogant pricks, you should go visit DiUlio.

The selection of Fr. Wild's replacement could be a pivotal moment for the University, not to mention the basketball program.

LON

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:32 AM »
Search committee jokes commence in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »

you kind of have tunnel vision on this whole Warriors thing.
Wild has done a lot of great things for the campus
how bout MU joining the Big East?
How bout his successful fundraising endeavors?
The buildings that were put up during his tenure? At least 7 new buildings have gone up, with more planned
The increase in applications and the competitiveness in enrollment?

Would you throw that all away to get DiUlio and the Warriors Nickname back?

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »

And be careful what you wish for, the next guy might not be willing to commit as many resources to the hoops program, which would be an umitigated disaster of epic proportions.  It would be much worse than any stupid nickname issue.

+1.

This is a bigger hire than any basketball coach. Marquette cannot afford to swing and miss on this one. Hope the trustees get this right.
The General has taken on a new command.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
Can't wait for the "I like the new president, but I don't like the hiring process" crowd to show up.

Also, gumbyandpokey quoted himself verbatim twice in this thread - who's the arrogant prick NOW???

Benny B

• All American
Re: Fr. Wilde to retire in June 2011
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:36 AM »
Hopefully the next guy appreciates The Marquette Warriors and changes our name.
 :P

Unfortunately, the president can't (that is to say, won't) make that decision.  You'll likely have to wait for other people to retire for that to even be a possibility.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »
I'll never understand why people hammer DiUlio and brownnose Wilde.  One would blow you off with a scowl, the other blows you off with a smile.  Same end result, just a different style.

And I'm not defending DiUlio at all.  I had dealings with the guy about the nickname issue when I was on student govt at MU on some mascot committee, and he was as obnoxious as you can believe.  But Wilde holds the same PC beliefs but just smiles when he dismisses your views.

You seem to really be focused a little too much on the nickname issue.  There is pretty much nothing about Marquette that hasn't improved since he took over.  Raynor was great...but he stuck around too long.  DiUlio was a disaster.  Wild is getting out on top.

And bma is right...and I've come to the realization *why* he is right a few weeks ago.  You could get the biggest "Warrior" supporter out there as President, and the nickname will not change.

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOO...........This is not good news......Father Wild and Father Raynor were the absolute best we have ever had.......THey both realized the Value the Men's Basketball team, and how much it means to the University as a whole........The current president of St. Joe's should be on the short list.......

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
This awful news . . .  He was a great, great President.  Sad day. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOO...........This is not good news......Father Wild and Father Raynor were the absolute best we have ever had.......THey both realized the Value the Men's Basketball team, and how much it means to the University as a whole........The current president of St. Joe's should be on the short list.......

Father Tim Lannon.  He'd be a great choice and sits on MU's BOT right now.  I wonder if MU will also look at Father Schlegel over at Creighton, who spent time at MU in the 80s.

Father Wild will be missed, he's done a terrific job at the helm.

Schlegel, http://www.creighton.edu/administration/president/

Lannon, http://www.mu.edu/about/leadership/lannon.shtml
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:46:58 AM by NYWarrior »

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »
Can't wait for the "I like the new president, but I don't like the hiring process" crowd to show up.

Going for an internal hire? If so can we start the Draft Father Naus movement?

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
you kind of have tunnel vision on this whole Warriors thing.
Wild has done a lot of great things for the campus
how bout MU joining the Big East?
How bout his successful fundraising endeavors?
The buildings that were put up during his tenure? At least 7 new buildings have gone up, with more planned
The increase in applications and the competitiveness in enrollment?

Would you throw that all away to get DiUlio and the Warriors Nickname back?

I'd certainly trade the buildings for the Warriors name.

It's funny, I always get calls from MU asking for money from some kid and I always tell them  they won't get a cent from me until they bring back the Warriors name.  Then the kid always says that they hear that a lot, and I tell them not to  call again.  But like clockwork, the next call will come in a month or two.

BTW, for anyone wondering, I did graduate from MU.  I was on ASMU at the time of the mascot/nickname fiasco with DiUlio and worked for the University (rec center, Athletic Dept), as well.  

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »
Going for an internal hire? If so can we start the Draft Father Naus movement?

Maybe MU can name somebody to be the interim president -- then interview no other candidates before declaring that person the permanent hire after a sufficient period of time.

feedback