[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011  (Read 37763 times)

Ready2Fly

• All American
Re: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »
I'd certainly trade the buildings for the Warriors name.

As an MU basketball fan, there should be one thing on your mind: W's.  How does a nickname affect W's?  We could be the Marquette Grundlesniffers for all I care if we consistently challenged for national titles.

And Father Wild is most certainly NOT an arrogant prick, at least in my interactions with him.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
Would love to bring Lannon back; however, would Marquette take a shot at bringing Fr. Leahy back from Boston College?  He was a former VP at Marquette before heading to BC, and he has family ties to the Midwest. Any chance there that he could be tired of the East Coast and would come back to the Midwest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_P._Leahy

Doubtful.  Leahy was a controversial guy when he was here, has been controversial since he left, and BC to MU is a step down to be quite honest.  And again, he's in his 60s, so he'd be a short term hire if at all.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
Nonsense.  If Wild wanted the Warriors name back, it would be back.

Your hero worship for Wild is misplaced.

Your knowledge of the situation and the power of the unversity president is completely lacking. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »
Leahy is the best name mentioned, by far.  He would be a home run choice, but MU won't even consider him.

Why would he be a homerun?

Would he change the name back?

That's the only criteria you are using, correct?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
I'd certainly trade the buildings for the Warriors name.

It's funny, I always get calls from MU asking for money from some kid and I always tell them  they won't get a cent from me until they bring back the Warriors name.  Then the kid always says that they hear that a lot, and I tell them not to  call again.  But like clockwork, the next call will come in a month or two.

BTW, for anyone wondering, I did graduate from MU.  I was on ASMU at the time of the mascot/nickname fiasco with DiUlio and worked for the University (rec center, Athletic Dept), as well.  

Dude, you really care about a nickname THAT much??  I know everyone here greatly prefers the Warrior nickname and it has upset a lot of people, but to hold out money on your alma mater because of an insensitive nickname?  That seems a little ridiculous to me.  Much more to Marquette than the Warriors name and to hinder the development of the university becasue of an Athletic nickname is selfish to say the least.  I can't get over your affection for a nickname, I mean come on.  If you want to be upset about it and voice your displeasure to the Univeristy that is fine, but to withold money is stupid.

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
Get in the real world.  The guy everyone loves to bitch about, Tom Crean, would walk around campus for the sole purpose to stop students and chat or to have students see him and come up to him.  It's all PR.  And it's all an act.  Wild plays the game better than DiUlio.  Big deal.

Yikes, with that response, I'll third the douche bag nomination. How is it PR if I'm standing at the traffic light, look over and see Fr. Wild, then say hi to him first? It's as if you think he was standing there with a pizza begging me to talk to him when in reality, or the real world as you call it, the guy had a briefcase and was most likely on his way to a meeting so that he could figure out a way to make your degree look even better. Anyways, you clearly have an axe to grind, so there's no use in arguing. I am, however, truly impressed by your level of disdain for nearly all things Marquette. Hopefully, you have something in your life that makes you happy, because Marquette and MU basketball sure aren't doing the trick.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:31 AM »
I have a hard time thinking its anyone but Lannon.  He was VP of Advancement so he knows the major contributors, has been on the BoT, and has experience as Prez at St. Joe's.  Unless they go the Georgetown route, this looks like a great hire and the path of least resistance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
Get in the real world.  The guy everyone loves to bitch about, Tom Crean, would walk around campus for the sole purpose to stop students and chat or to have students see him and come up to him.  It's all PR.  And it's all an act.  Wild plays the game better than DiUlio.  Big deal.

Even if Wild's "act" is all a "PR game," it doesn't matter.  What matters is that the University is better off in every conceivable way since he took office.  Even if he is a "prick" (which I highly doubt considering  most people's opinions of the man), he has been a highly effective prick.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
Doubtful.  Leahy was a controversial guy when he was here, has been controversial since he left, and BC to MU is a step down to be quite honest.  And again, he's in his 60s, so he'd be a short term hire if at all.

Sure, he's "controversial" because he actually expects BC to promote things that are in accordance with Church teachings, which is why MU will never hire him.

He's a great guy and has done a great job at BC.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »
Sad to see Fr. Wild go.  

Screw a committee, let Cottingham pick the next president.   ;)

bma725

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
Sure, he's "controversial" because he actually expects BC to promote things that are in accordance with Church teachings, which is why MU will never hire him.

He's a great guy and has done a great job at BC.

That's why he was controversial at BC, but that's got nothing to do with what he was like at MU.  He made a lot of enemies on the faculty when he was here.  Not exactly the easiest guy to work for.

MARQKC

• Starter
Father Wild to retire next year
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
This guy has been a great steward of the university. I will forever be grateful to him for a lot, but especially for getting MU into the Big East Conference:

http://www.marquette.edu/omc/newscenter/recent.php?subaction=showfull&id=1267719185&archive=

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
Dude, you really care about a nickname THAT much??  I know everyone here greatly prefers the Warrior nickname and it has upset a lot of people, but to hold out money on your alma mater because of an insensitive nickname?  That seems a little ridiculous to me.  Much more to Marquette than the Warriors name and to hinder the development of the university becasue of an Athletic nickname is selfish to say the least.  I can't get over your affection for a nickname, I mean come on.  If you want to be upset about it and voice your displeasure to the Univeristy that is fine, but to withold money is stupid.

+1...I agree...I always thought it was ridiculous to not support the current and future students Marquette because of a nickname that they had no control over.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »
In a very short amount of time, gumbyandpokey has already been ignored by 19 members.  You have surpassed warthog-driver (15), and are approaching chicos (23).  You may even catch MR.HAYWARD (31).

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
That's why he was controversial at BC, but that's got nothing to do with what he was like at MU.  He made a lot of enemies on the faculty when he was here.  Not exactly the easiest guy to work for.

I'm sure MU will choose some goof who is more concerned with "multiculturalism" and "diversity" than enforcing Catholic teachings.

MU a "Catholic Experience", lol.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »
And you blind bashing of him without any substantiated facts is asinine and extremely weak.  You validate your argument by your own intuition and gut feeling rather than providing concrete facts.

Facts: Under Father Wild, MU has increased endowment, increased applications, strengthened multiple undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs, built multiple buildings to attract competitive students and faculty along with the beautification of the campus grounds, joined the Big East and saw the revival of the Men's Basketball program.  And that's just a short list.

Regardless of whether or not Wild wanted or didn't want the Warriors nickname, that list trumps any argument you may have.  On top of that, I guarantee you have ZERO knowledge of how the nickname decision went down because if you did, you would understand how misguided your "intuition" is.

With that, I am done arguing with you as it is not worth the time spent that should be thanking the man for his accomplishments at our university.

Nonsense.  If Wild wanted the Warriors name back, it would be back.

Your hero worship for Wild is misplaced.

groove

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
well, at least we didn't hear about it first on ESPN.

LON

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »
I'm sure MU will choose some goof who is more concerned with "multiculturalism" and "diversity" than enforcing Catholic teachings.

I would hardly come to the conclusion that you were a staunch Catholic by the tone of your posts.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
Had many interactions with Fr. Lannon S.J., and he actually helped my family out during a tough time.  Great man.  Actually met him one afternoon during the Jesuit Olympics in 2001, never forgot my name after that.  Hope he comes back

🏀

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
Father Tim Lannon.  He'd be a great choice and sits on MU's BOT right now.  I wonder if MU will also look at Father Schlegel over at Creighton, who spent time at MU in the 80s.

Father Wild will be missed, he's done a terrific job at the helm.

Schlegel, http://www.creighton.edu/administration/president/

Lannon, http://www.mu.edu/about/leadership/lannon.shtml

I'm for Schlegel. Looks like he can party.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »

Alright... let's get into it:

What do you think a "catholic experience" should be at a major university?

In what ways did Fr. Wild hurt that?

What changes would you like to see that would help create a better "catholic experience"?:
1. Nickname
2. ?

I'm up for hearing different viewpoints, but you've got to come with more than just anger about "warriors".

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: Father Wild to retire next year
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
ALREADY POSTED.  :)
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

LON

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 11:42:47 AM »
Alright... let's get into it:

What do you think a "catholic experience" should be at a major university?

In what ways did Fr. Wild hurt that?

What changes would you like to see that would help create a better "catholic experience"?:
1. Nickname
2. ?

I'm up for hearing different viewpoints, but you've got to come with more than just anger about "warriors".

He majored in "Ad Hominem"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
He's done a lot of good for MU.  Had the priviledge for working for him as an employee.  Definitely a friend of the athletic program.

Considering how most of the other Jesuit schools have used basketball and athletics to promote themselves (Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Boston College), I think that tradition will continue.

I just hope the new guy has that outlook and not that of the other Jesuit schools like Loyola Marymount, Santa Clara, Loyola (IL), etc.

I'd rate Father Wild's tenure as strong in most areas.  Campus looks great.  Athletics in much better shape.  Academic rankings highest they've ever been as far as I can remember.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:44:56 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »

Ha, it sounds like you're against multiculturalism and diversity.  What dumb goof would ever want to promote these values?

feedback