collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011  (Read 37783 times)

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
Re: Fr. Wild to retire in June 2011
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
+1.

This is a bigger hire than any basketball coach. Marquette cannot afford to swing and miss on this one. Hope the trustees get this right.

Let's be realistic about this.  If we go the Jesuit route, and not the Georgetown route, Fr. Wild will have a ton of say in who replaces him.

Sponge Ruiner!

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
The smart money is on Fr. Timothy Lannon as Marquette's new Pres. He's a SJ from the Wisconsin Province, currently on loan to St. Joseph's University out East.

Former Marquette Executive VP and current member of Marquette's Board of Trustees. Nice guy too.

"The beauty lies in the simplicity."

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
The smart money is on Fr. Timothy Lannon as Marquette's new Pres. He's a SJ from the Wisconsin Province, currently on loan to St. Joseph's University out East.

Former Marquette Executive VP and current member of Marquette's Board of Trustees. Nice guy too.

"The beauty lies in the simplicity."

This would be a home run for MU.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
I don't think anyone has to worry about MU hiring someone who doesn't value the men's BBall program.  Everyone there knows that is the singular reason for the fundraising, enrollment, etc.

I'm more concerned with the political leanings of the next President and if he'll encourage the University to adhere to the teachings of the Church.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »
I'd certainly trade the buildings for the Warriors name.

Oh brother....and you expect us to take you seriously?  You think a nickname is more important than up-to-date infrastructure???

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »
Maybe MU can name somebody to be the interim president -- then interview no other candidates before declaring that person the permanent hire after a sufficient period of time.

That's just silly.  What they should do is reach out to unreasonable presidents of other Jesuit universities.  Then, after they are rebuffed, MU should hire whatever Jesuit is down the hall.

As long as Dick Strong approves, of course.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »

Father Wild and I are good friends and I talk to him frequently.  This is the truth about the Warrior name........
He DID want the Warrior name back, but only if it offended no one.   If it offended one tribe, than it was no deal.  They spoke to dozens of tribes and felt that they would be able to change it back, but as they got further along, one tribe started to oppose the name change back to Warriors.  THat ended it........No conspiracy....

Father Wild and the majority of the MU alums wanted Warriors back, but only if it offended no one....end of story.....

I have never got into a pissing match on a basketball chat room, but you calling my friend and the President of my University a prick has dragged me in and is the biggest bunch of bullcrap I have ever read......

Check your message box.......

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 10:49:50 AM »
Let's be realistic about this.  If we go the Jesuit route, and not the Georgetown route, Fr. Wild will have a ton of say in who replaces him.

How long has Georgetown had a lay President?  I mean, eventually it is probably inevitable that MU goes the same way, just because of the decrease in the number of Jesuit priests will make the pool much smaller, but my guess is MU sticks with the Jesuits as long as it can.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
I wonder if MU will also look at Father Schlegel over at Creighton, who spent time at MU in the 80s.

Schlegel, http://admissions.creighton.edu/CULive/FacesofCreighton/FatherSchlegel/tabid/3309/Default.aspx

Schlegel is a no go for MU.  Not that he'd be a bad choice, but they aren't going to pull him out of Creighton.  It's his dream job, and he already left a different Jesuit University where he was president(SanFran) to be president there.  Plus, he's got to be nearing retirement himself, he's at least 60.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
Father Wild and I are good friends and I talk to him frequently.  This is the truth about the Warrior name........
He DID want the Warrior name back, but only if it offended no one.   If it offended one tribe, than it was no deal.  They spoke to dozens of tribes and felt that they would be able to change it back, but as they got further along, one tribe started to oppose the name change back to Warriors.  THat ended it........No conspiracy....

Father Wild and the majority of the MU alums wanted Warriors back, but only if it offended no one....end of story.....

I have never got into a pissing match on a basketball chat room, but you calling my friend and the President of my University a prick has dragged me in and is the biggest bunch of bullcrap I have ever read......

"If it offended no one."

Somebody, somewhere, is ALWAYS going to be offended by something.  And Wild knew it and he had no intention of bringing that name back.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »
Schlegel is a no go for MU.  Not that he'd be a bad choice, but they aren't going to pull him out of Creighton.  It's his dream job, and he already left a different Jesuit University where he was president(SanFran) to be president there.  Plus, he's got to be nearing retirement himself, he's at least 60.

Glad he's in the place he wants to be....Schlegel has been a terrific president at both USF and Creighton.  A darkhorse for MU could be Father Michael Class -- he's a prof at MU now (I think), has been on the Xavier BOT for quite a while, and worked in the Jesuit provincial office in Chicago as well.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »

How long has Georgetown had a lay President?  I mean, eventually it is probably inevitable that MU goes the same way, just because of the decrease in the number of Jesuit priests will make the pool much smaller, but my guess is MU sticks with the Jesuits as long as it can.

John J. DeGioia has been president since 2001. before that it was this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_J._O'Donovan

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »
Father Tim Lannon.  He'd be a great choice and sits on MU's BOT right now.  I wonder if MU will also look at Father Schlegel over at Creighton, who spent time at MU in the 80s.

Father Wild will be missed, he's done a terrific job at the helm.

Schlegel, http://admissions.creighton.edu/CULive/FacesofCreighton/FatherSchlegel/tabid/3309/Default.aspx

Lannon, http://www.mu.edu/about/leadership/lannon.shtml

Would love to bring Lannon back; however, would Marquette take a shot at bringing Fr. Leahy back from Boston College?  He was a former VP at Marquette before heading to BC, and he has family ties to the Midwest. Any chance there that he could be tired of the East Coast and would come back to the Midwest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_P._Leahy
The General has taken on a new command.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »
I'm more concerned with the political leanings of the next President and if he'll encourage the University to adhere to the teachings of the Church.

Like "Value thy old sports nickname above the educational needs of thy students?"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »

Schlegel was Dean of Arts & Sciences and I took his one-credit "Arts & Sciences Colloqueum" that was required of all A&S majors.  As a non-Catholic, public high school kid, he was my first exposure to the Jesuits.  An absolutely fantastic guy.  I think he left for John Carroll as provost soon afterwards.

But yeah, he will not be the next President of MU.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »
Like "Value thy old sports nickname above the educational needs of thy students?"

"Educational needs", lol.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »

No you're not.

You only concerned with the nickname. You've made that clear.

It doesn't matter what the current president (wild) or future president do. You will not be happy with them until "Warriors" comes back, and you will hold the MU president (regardless of who it is) personally responsible.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
Would love to bring Lannon back; however, would Marquette take a shot at bringing Fr. Leahy back from Boston College?  He was a former VP at Marquette before heading to BC, and he has family ties to the Midwest. Any chance there that he could be tired of the East Coast and would come back to the Midwest?

Leahy is the best name mentioned, by far.  He would be a home run choice, but MU won't even consider him.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:04:01 AM by gumbyandpokey »

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
"If it offended no one."

Somebody, somewhere, is ALWAYS going to be offended by something.  And Wild knew it and he had no intention of bringing that name back.

You are a real riot. I don't know that I've ever seen a poster who is consistently as negative as yourself, it's a shame you actually graduated from Marquette. As a random student walking through campus, I bumped into Fr. Wild on more than one occasion and he was always extremely gracious with his time. What he has done for OUR university has been exactly what *most* alums could have hoped for. Marquette basketball is a love of mine, but what does it matter if the academic side of the school is in shambles? Fr. Wild has done a great job of putting both the university and the basketball program in positions to be successful for years to come. Can't wait to see what you complain about next.

As an aside, I'm currently down at Creighton and can't see Fr. Schlegel leaving either for the aforementioned reasons. Not that this is relevant, but he's probably the tannest Jesuit I've ever seen, so based on recent tan employees, I'm not sure we want to go down that road either.  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
"Educational needs", lol.

It really doesn't surprise me that you were involved with student government, because most of those guys when I was there would get all hot and bothered over basically irrelevant issues.  It is really why the vast, vast majority of students ignore student governments at campuses across the country even today.

And honestly, I find it odd that you would spend time on a MU basketball discussion board when it seems pretty clear that you show a good deal of contempt for your alma mater.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:34:44 PM by spiral97 »

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »
I can say with absolute certainty that Gumby has no clue as to what he is talking about regarding Fr. Wild and the Warrior nickname.  What Fr. Wild has done for this University has been nothing short of remarkable and deserves the thanks and gratitude of the entire Marquette community.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »

I REALLY like it but Leahy. He's bold, helped BC grow equivalent to Wild at MU but he'll be 63 when he takes over as president. Wild was 54 when he took over. I think MU might try to look younger.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
The University sent out this email:

Dear Friends:
This afternoon, in my annual President’s Address, I will share with the campus community my intent to retire on June 30, 2011, or whenever a successor takes office, whichever comes later. I had informed the Board of Trustees of my decision yesterday. You can find the official announcement online.
I’ve drafted a letter to all alumni which you will receive shortly, but I wanted you to hear of my decision as soon as possible -- before reading about it or hearing it secondhand. Your support these past 14 years has been truly heartwarming -- and so important to the progress we’ve made. I look forward to that continued support in the remaining 15 months of my tenure and for my successor, whoever he may be.
Along with my letter, you’ll receive a note from Darren Jackson, chair of our Board of Trustees. He’ll review the search process and explain how you can be involved. The input of our alumni is critical as we embark on this important search process.
I will look forward to seeing and hearing from many of you in the months ahead.
God bless you and all members of our Marquette family.
Bob Wild, S.J.
President, Marquette University
Ludum habemus.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
You are a real riot. I don't know that I've ever seen a poster who is consistently as negative as yourself, it's a shame you actually graduated from Marquette. As a random student walking through campus, I bumped into Fr. Wild on more than one occasion and he was always extremely gracious with his time. What he has done for OUR university has been exactly what *most* alums could have hoped for. Marquette basketball is a love of mine, but what does it matter if the academic side of the school is in shambles? Fr. Wild has done a great job of putting both the university and the basketball program in positions to be successful for years to come. Can't wait to see what you complain about next.

As an aside, I'm currently down at Creighton and can't see Fr. Schlegel leaving either for the aforementioned reasons. Not that this is relevant, but he's probably the tannest Jesuit I've ever seen, so based on recent tan employees, I'm not sure we want to go down that road either.  ;)

Get in the real world.  The guy everyone loves to bitch about, Tom Crean, would walk around campus for the sole purpose to stop students and chat or to have students see him and come up to him.  It's all PR.  And it's all an act.  Wild plays the game better than DiUlio.  Big deal.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
I can say with absolute certainty that Gumby has no clue as to what he is talking about regarding Fr. Wild and the Warrior nickname.  What Fr. Wild has done for this University has been nothing short of remarkable and deserves the thanks and gratitude of the entire Marquette community.

Nonsense.  If Wild wanted the Warriors name back, it would be back.

Your hero worship for Wild is misplaced.