[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Revised High 5'ing Buzz at end of game - Not DJO's Dad or Tim Maymon  (Read 27203 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: DJO's dad at Game High 5'ing Buzz at end of game
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
If we were really 12th, where we were picked to be, then NO, I would not want Buzz fired. I had no expectations heading into the season. However, after viewing the performance on the court thus far, as well as the players Buzz has brought into the program, there shouldn't be any doubt in anyone's mind about Buzz. You honestly have to be blind not to see the brilliance of this year's coaching job. Look at all the adversity that has been overcome and the chemistry this team has. How can you not extrapolate that out into future years? Hold out all you want though.

Don't get me wrong:

- LOVE what has happened this year.

- Buzz has done as awesome job.

- I'm excited for future years.

There is just a little part of me that has seen similar things with other coaches, so I'm holding back my "man crush" a little bit.

Again, I wouldn't fire Buzz for finishing 12-16th, and I'm not going to fall in love for finishing in the top half. He deserves 3-4 years to prove himself, and I don't think it's unrealistic for MU to need 3-4 years to evaluate him.

Although, the end of the day, I'm not the president or AD of MU, so it really doesn't matter if I "hold back" I suppose.  

WTF, I'm in!

I love Buzz.

edit: no personal attacks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:01:57 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »
Freudian slip?

HAHA.

Touche.

I'll edit.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
I knew what you meant, I was just messin' with you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
I completely understand Chico's 'so far-so good, but wait and see' attitude.   He may slip up and may not be able to handle a team with 13 high major players clamoring for minutes.    Hazel, Roseboro, Maymon left, Mo and Cubi quit or nearly quit.    Still don't have a 6'10 stud.   But what just pi$$e$ me off to no end are those who can't give him credit for the job he has done THIS year.   No size, no bench, injuries, defections, getting huge contributions from players thought to be end of the bench guys.    Go ahead and withhold long term judgement.    But give it up for what he has done this year.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muarmy81

• All American
Re: Tim Maymon at Game High 5'ing Buzz at end of game
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 12:31:10 PM »
Here's a legit question:

If MU was really 12th place in the conference, and had lost their share of tough games (instead of winning all of these games), would you want Buzz fired?

I can't speak for Chico's, but my own "wait and see" is based upon the fact that I don't think you can fire, nor award a lifetime contract after 2 years.

Can you be excited? Hell yes. I'm excited. I LOVE what I see and hear right now from the coaches and the team.

Does Buzz have tenure? Not yet...

I hope that by the time you and Chicos have "waited to see" that some other school hasn't come knocking and taken Buzz away because we've failed to try and keep him here long term.

In this age of what have you done for me lately, it is fair to hold judgement but don't be surprised if you wait too long and some big time program swoops in and takes advantage of MU's failure to act. (Not that I think MU will wait to give Buzz some love)

And to your question about loosing close games why don't you direct that to Indiana and ask them why they extended Crean's deal when he gets blown out? (Yeah, I got it, he's rebuilding at Indiana but Buzz was supposed to be rebuilding this year also)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »
I hope that by the time you and Chicos have "waited to see" that some other school hasn't come knocking and taken Buzz away because we've failed to try and keep him here long term.

In this age of what have you done for me lately, it is fair to hold judgement but don't be surprised if you wait too long and some big time program swoops in and takes advantage of MU's failure to act. (Not that I think MU will wait to give Buzz some love)

And to your question about loosing close games why don't you direct that to Indiana and ask them why they extended Crean's deal when he gets blown out? (Yeah, I got it, he's rebuilding at Indiana but Buzz was supposed to be rebuilding this year also)

Actually, I'm treating Crean and Buzz the EXACT same way.

Crean deserves 3-4 years to build his program. IU can evaluate his overall performance at that time. After that, all bets are off.

Buzz deserves 3-4 years to build his program. MU can evaluate his overall performance at that time. After that, all bets are off.

Again, I'm not saying I don't like Buzz.

I LOVE what he had done. I'm excited for the future. Honestly, I am.

I'm just not AS excited as some others because I don't think you can really evaluate a coach (positively or negatively) in such a short time frame.

That's all.

YoungMUFan4

• All American

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
Freudian slip?

Freudian slip?  Like when you mean to say to your wife, Please pass the butter, and instead it comes out, You f-ing bi-itch you ruined my life!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
NOT DJO's DAD

Heres the story

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-0303/buzz-williams-friendcoaching-scuttlebuttcorey-edwards-update/

Back to the topic as opposed to another Buzz/Crean hijacked takeover thread.  Good grief guys.....

This story is remarkable.  A homeless guy that Buzz has watched over and interacted with.  Invites him or just gets him tickets to the game and he actually shows up.  No wonder the players went crazy.  Who would ever think gestures like this happen. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
NOT DJO's DAD

Heres the story

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-0303/buzz-williams-friendcoaching-scuttlebuttcorey-edwards-update/

Really a great story there. As long as he keeps on the good side of the Freeway line.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
Wow.   The truth is so much cooler than our speculation.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
   But what just pi$$e$ me off to no end are those who can't give him credit for the job he has done THIS year.   

Really?  Can you link to a post from anyone that "can't give him credit for the job he has done THIS year"???

Really like to see that.

Roscoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »

I second that!

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »
Actually, I'm treating Crean and Buzz the EXACT same way.

Crean deserves 3-4 years to build his program. IU can evaluate his overall performance at that time. After that, all bets are off.

Buzz deserves 3-4 years to build his program. MU can evaluate his overall performance at that time. After that, all bets are off.

Again, I'm not saying I don't like Buzz.

I LOVE what he had done. I'm excited for the future. Honestly, I am.

I'm just not AS excited as some others because I don't think you can really evaluate a coach (positively or negatively) in such a short time frame.

That's all.

fair enough.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »

For sure - look how happy he looks in the screen cap above!

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Re: Game High 5'ing Buzz at end of game
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »
What a great story....

groove

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
It's all fun and games until we find out it violates some kind of NCAA rule.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »
What a story. With absolutely no prior media hype for Buzz' good deeds. How refreshing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »
That's awesome.  It appears he had a helluva good time!

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
That is an amazing story. Is there any video of it? I'm annoyed for having erased the game after watching it last night.

MUMountin

• All American
Re: Revised High 5'ing Buzz at end of game - Not DJO's Dad or Tim Maymon
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »
This only impresses me more about Buzz--what a great model for the players!  The fact that they got so excited about it as well only speaks to the fact that Buzz's lead is having an effect on them.

Just makes me proud to be an MU alum.

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
Cool Buzz story, why he is perfect for MU
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2010, 02:36:32 PM »
This sort of got buried in that other thread so I thought I would make it a thread of its own.

by RAY MERNAGH

Marquette’s Biggest Fan

Last night after Marquette blasted Louisville, I noticed some of the players pointing out a man to Buzz Williams.

Williams and the players made a dramatic left turn towards the scorers table and greeted the man, who was even more excited than they were (and if you saw them last night that’s pretty damn excited). I had to get the story and asked Williams about it this morning when we were texting back and forth.

I figured he might have been the father of a player or a long-lost buddy. Turns out it was a man that Williams has had an ongoing friendship/dialogue with for some time. The man pops up all the time to visit Williams and the two talk about every day stuff while at the same time building some trust with each other. “It’s the craziest deal,” wrote Williams, “he knows when we play out of town and he’s waiting when our bus gets back to the office so he can say hello to me. He was so fired up last night, I wasn’t even sure he would show up because I knew he would be nervous in public. Our kids are the ones that saw him come out of the stands to see me.”

Williams said that Jimmy Butler was especially surprised. “Coach,” said Butler, “look, he came!” And if you saw the joy on the faces of the players at the moment they saw the man, it tells you a lot about Marquette, their kids, the program they’re building, and Williams. The players know the man’s homeless. They also know that he, like them, has built up some trust by following through on certain “suggestions” Williams makes to help himself and his situation. The education they’re getting at Marquette, even while immersed in basketball and away from the traditional “classroom” is truly in the Jesuit tradition. Williams and his players are definitely helping each other grow in mind, heart and spirit.

In the world of big-time college basketball that’s unbelievably huge…and so, so rare.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: Cool Buzz story, why he is perfect for MU
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
Thats truely another great story for this year.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Cool Buzz story, why he is perfect for MU
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
I can almost guarantee you this guy will show up within a Buzz Williams profile piece on CBS if MU can get past the first round or two of the tournament.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Revised High 5'ing Buzz at end of game - Not DJO's Dad or Tim Maymon
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
Could Marquette have chosen a better representative for the university? I know some will accuse me of hyperbole but when combining coaching and character I literally wouldn't trade him for any college coach in the country.