[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Should Bud Selig have a statue?

Yes
20 (37%)
No
34 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Brewers To Erect Bud Selig Statue  (Read 14736 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Brewers To Erect Bud Selig Statue
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
The Brewers recently announced plans to erect a statue of Bud Selig outside Miller Park. 

Personally, I hate the man.  I do like the Wild Card which was created in his term which keeps more teams in the post season hunt.  He also brought baseball to new levels of popularity, however, he did so by turning his back on steroids.  I think Bud hurt the game far far far more than he helped it.  While he may have helped get Miller Park built, in no way does this man deserve a statue. 

Do you think he deserves a statue?

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Brewers To Erect Bud Selig Statue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »
The Brewers recently announced plans to erect a statue of Bud Selig outside Miller Park. 

Personally, I hate the man.  I do like the Wild Card which was created in his term which keeps more teams in the post season hunt.  He also brought baseball to new levels of popularity, however, he did so by turning his back on steroids.  I think Bud hurt the game far far far more than he helped it.  While he may have helped get Miller Park built, in no way does this man deserve a statue. 

Do you think he deserves a statue?

Probably doesn't deserve a statue, but to say he hurt baseball more than he helped it is pretty misguided. I'd try to formulate an argument to support my opinion, but my brain isn't cooperating at the moment.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
Not a chance in hell that this man deserves anything.
I will restrain myself but that clown created a stadium on taxpayer expense (which south-eastern Wisconsin is still paying for) that allowed him to over-value an embarrassingly crappy team which he put his incompetent daughter in charge of and then sold for an obscene amount of profit. But I guess thats what Milwaukee deserves when you have a sleezebag used car salesman as an owner. The Seilgs are a damn embarrassment to the state of Wisconsin and baseball

So what if he created inter-league play? Tmeans that about 4 games a year a dad has to explain to his son why the AL still has that bullcrap archaic DH rule.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »
ironically i think he should have a statue at some MLB headquarters or the hall of fame or something long before he should in milwaukee.  what he did for baseball as a whole was far more beneficial than anything he ever really did for the brewers.
 the steroids thing is certainly a black eye, yes, but he walked into it.  i know he covered it up and was dishonest for longer than he should have been, but baseball has a chemically sordid history at best. 

i do have one question regarding his legacy with the brewers, and its mainly because im too young to know any better.  was his pull with baseball as a whole and the legitimacy he seemed to lend the brewers simply by his name being attached a major factor in getting the necessary sign off on miller park?  from what I know, MP essentially secured the Brewers to remain in mke for the foreseeable future, but would it have been built with or without selig?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »
This is long overdue. Seriously.

Yes, he held on to the team too long, I'll grant that. But Miller Park, and the Brewers resurgence has been a HUGE positive for Milwaukee. And they'd be the Charlotte Brewers if Bud didn't fight tooth and nail for the ballpark.

And people act like steroid use started in 1993 when he took over. Steroid use went back well into the 80's, and no one in baseball took a stand. This is an issue overblown by people who want something to bitch about.

Baseball has not seen any drop in popularity since the issue came to the forefront, and without the juiced up 98 HR chase, MLB would be the NHL. Add in interleague play, the Wild Card, revenue sharing, not to mention MLB's innovation with MLB.TV. A lot of positives have happened under his watch.

History will show that while Bud was ripped on constantly during his time, years later we'll realize he was incredibly under-appreciated.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »
Bud is singlehandedly responsable for MLB being back in Milwaukee.  Period.  The city doesn't get the Pilots, nor do we have a modern stadium which may have caused the team to move...or at least be so bad that no one would have cared if they moved.  If it wasn't for his determination, an aging County Stadium is the home to an International League team.

I think erecting a statue is a little over the top, but whatever...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:35:36 AM »
For what Bud did for Milwaukee, he should have had a statue 20 years ago.

Baseball in Milwaukee simply doesn't exist without Bud Selig.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:54:45 AM »
For what Bud did for Milwaukee, he should have had a statue 20 years ago.

Baseball in Milwaukee simply doesn't exist without Bud Selig.

+1

There is far too much ill-will towards Bud Selig. People dont get how important he has been for both Milwaukee and MLB.

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »

I think erecting a statue is a little over the top, but whatever...

Milwaukee gave one to the Fonz.

Enough said.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »
Granted without Bud there is no baseball in Milwaukee, so he should should be remembered in that sense. I would hope for the sake of the Brewers, they highlight this ownership prowless and not mention his reign as commish.

His failures?
1994 Strike. (Coming anyway, but he oversaw it.)
Allowed replacement players.
Interleague Play (IMO).
Pushed playoffs into November and way too late into the night.
Formed a group that ousted Fay Vincent to make him the Commish.
Allowed the Brewers to move to the NL after the 1998 expansion, making his former team considering amounts of money.
Pete Rose is still suspended.
Reinstated George Steinbrenner.
Commissioned the Mitchell Report, an utter failure.
Couldn't keep a secret list of players, secret.
2002 All Start Game.
Remember when he was charged with racketeering? Expos & Twins fans do.

Whew.

LON

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:04 AM »
Granted without Bud there is no baseball in Milwaukee, so he should should be remembered in that sense. I would hope for the sake of the Brewers, they highlight this ownership prowless and not mention his reign as commish.

His failures?
Interleague Play (IMO).
Allowed the Brewers to move to the NL after the 1998 expansion, making his former team considering amounts of money.
2002 All Start Game.

Whew.

You forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of salary he takes each year.  He should pay off the balance of Miller Park.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »
So what if he created inter-league play? Tmeans that about 4 games a year a dad has to explain to his son why the AL still has that bullcrap archaic DH rule.

the dh isnt bullcrap, walking the 8 man to strike out the pitcher is

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »

His failures?
Interleague Play (IMO).
2002 All Start Game.

Whew.

Now are you going to to put together a list of all of his accomplishments, and how much the game of baseball has grown under his watch?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
Now are you going to to put together a list of all of his accomplishments, and how much the game of baseball has grown under his watch?

Feel free to try. The only reason baseball recovered from the 1994 Strike underneath his watch was because Bud turned his head while he allowed the steroid monster to grow to epic proportions.

Bud reigned over an era of baseball that will never allow itself to be compared to any other era. For the only sport that can be accurately compared to its beginnings, IMO this is very sad.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
the dh isnt bullcrap, walking the 8 man to strike out the pitcher is

That's why you pinch hit for the pitcher.  And it actually utilizes the bench instead of letting them sit for weeks on end while a big fat slob gets paid to step up to the plate three times a game.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
Feel free to try. The only reason baseball recovered from the 1994 Strike underneath his watch was because Bud turned his head while he allowed the steroid monster to grow to epic proportions.

Bud reigned over an era of baseball that will never allow itself to be compared to any other era. For the only sport that can be accurately compared to its beginnings, IMO this is very sad.

So none of this falls at the feet of Don Fehr? EVERYTHING is Bud's fault?

Bud is an easy target. But those that truly understand the game of baseball, and all of the business/labor dynamics...realize that he isn't the horrible Commissioner that many make him out to be, and that he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
So none of this falls at the feet of Don Fehr? EVERYTHING is Bud's fault?

Bud is an easy target. But those that truly understand the game of baseball, and all of the business/labor dynamics...realize that he isn't the horrible Commissioner that many make him out to be, and that he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Why should it fall on Don Fehr? Because Bud decided that he wanted nothing to do with it and pushed it off on the Player's Union? Why would the Player's Union even be interested in banning steroids? They weren't and Bud didn't step in when he should have.

I don't give a rat's ass about business/labor dynamics when over a decade of baseball was wasted.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
Why should it fall on Don Fehr? Because Bud decided that he wanted nothing to do with it and pushed it off on the Player's Union? Why would the Player's Union even be interested in banning steroids? They weren't and Bud didn't step in when he should have.

I don't give a rat's ass about business/labor dynamics when over a decade of baseball was wasted.

Drug testing must be collectively bargained! If one side (Union) does not want to negotiate it into the CBA, there is nothing the other side (Owners) can do about it.

Thats fine...you're a fan, and you dont want to believe that there is more that goes into it.

If blaming Bud makes you feel better...fine, whatever.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »
That's why you pinch hit for the pitcher.  And it actually utilizes the bench instead of letting them sit for weeks on end while a big fat slob gets paid to step up to the plate three times a game.

you sort of just made the whole point of the dh. he pinch hits for the pitcher who still gets2-3 more plate appearances even if pinch hit for. the big fat slob you refer to sounds a little bit like the guy who plays 1st for the brewers

LON

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
you sort of just made the whole point of the dh. he pinch hits for the pitcher who still gets2-3 more plate appearances even if pinch hit for. the big fat slob you refer to sounds a little bit like the guy who plays 1st for the brewers

That big fat slob played basically every game for the past two four years.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:26:19 AM by LancesOtherNut »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »
I did a little Jig the day the Selig family sold the Brewers to Mark Attanasio.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Drug testing must be collectively bargained! If one side (Union) does not want to negotiate it into the CBA, there is nothing the other side (Owners) can do about it.

Thats fine...you're a fan, and you dont want to believe that there is more that goes into it.

If blaming Bud makes you feel better...fine, whatever.

If the MLBPU doesn't want to negotiate, then Selig needed to stop being such a kitten. Instead, he knew baseball was growing, and decided he didn't need the make a big fuss about it, and he had put forth his effort.

What else? You have yet to defend Bud except trying to make yourself almighty because you know so much? Did baseball prosper underneath Selig? Yes! Did steriods play a huge role in that? YES, reference 1998. Did the largest economic boom in American History help? YES!

Get serious and lay some facts on the table. What do all of us 'stupid' baseball fans need to know that you know? I came up with 12 points very easily that show Selig as the moron/scumbag that he is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:40:19 AM by marqptm »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »

You obviously haven't had to work with Unions or the collective bargaining process then. You make it sound like Bud could have snapped his fingers and made this happen. There was no way the Union would allow dug testing. None! The players are more to blame than Bud. All of them. Even the clean ones who did call out the cheaters.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »
I did a little Jig the day the Selig family sold the Brewers to Mark Attanasio.

if it wasn't for bud selling the brewers I wouldn't want baseball in Milwaukee

all you bud apologists are delusional. He f-d Milwaukee for years.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 12:00:36 PM »
if it wasn't for bud selling the brewers I wouldn't want baseball in Milwaukee

all you bud apologists are delusional. He f-d Milwaukee for years.

Without him, there wouldn't have been anything in Milwaukee to mess up.  We'd still be a town complaining about losing the Braves 50 years ago, and probably would have ended up becoming Cubs/Sox fans.

Bud Selig did far more good for Milwaukee baseball than anyone else ever.  His failings as commissioner pale in comparison.