collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Should Bud Selig have a statue?

Yes
20 (37%)
No
34 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Brewers To Erect Bud Selig Statue  (Read 14734 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Brewers To Erect Bud Selig Statue
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
The Brewers recently announced plans to erect a statue of Bud Selig outside Miller Park. 

Personally, I hate the man.  I do like the Wild Card which was created in his term which keeps more teams in the post season hunt.  He also brought baseball to new levels of popularity, however, he did so by turning his back on steroids.  I think Bud hurt the game far far far more than he helped it.  While he may have helped get Miller Park built, in no way does this man deserve a statue. 

Do you think he deserves a statue?

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Brewers To Erect Bud Selig Statue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »
The Brewers recently announced plans to erect a statue of Bud Selig outside Miller Park. 

Personally, I hate the man.  I do like the Wild Card which was created in his term which keeps more teams in the post season hunt.  He also brought baseball to new levels of popularity, however, he did so by turning his back on steroids.  I think Bud hurt the game far far far more than he helped it.  While he may have helped get Miller Park built, in no way does this man deserve a statue. 

Do you think he deserves a statue?

Probably doesn't deserve a statue, but to say he hurt baseball more than he helped it is pretty misguided. I'd try to formulate an argument to support my opinion, but my brain isn't cooperating at the moment.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
Not a chance in hell that this man deserves anything.
I will restrain myself but that clown created a stadium on taxpayer expense (which south-eastern Wisconsin is still paying for) that allowed him to over-value an embarrassingly crappy team which he put his incompetent daughter in charge of and then sold for an obscene amount of profit. But I guess thats what Milwaukee deserves when you have a sleezebag used car salesman as an owner. The Seilgs are a damn embarrassment to the state of Wisconsin and baseball

So what if he created inter-league play? Tmeans that about 4 games a year a dad has to explain to his son why the AL still has that bullcrap archaic DH rule.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »
ironically i think he should have a statue at some MLB headquarters or the hall of fame or something long before he should in milwaukee.  what he did for baseball as a whole was far more beneficial than anything he ever really did for the brewers.
 the steroids thing is certainly a black eye, yes, but he walked into it.  i know he covered it up and was dishonest for longer than he should have been, but baseball has a chemically sordid history at best. 

i do have one question regarding his legacy with the brewers, and its mainly because im too young to know any better.  was his pull with baseball as a whole and the legitimacy he seemed to lend the brewers simply by his name being attached a major factor in getting the necessary sign off on miller park?  from what I know, MP essentially secured the Brewers to remain in mke for the foreseeable future, but would it have been built with or without selig?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »
This is long overdue. Seriously.

Yes, he held on to the team too long, I'll grant that. But Miller Park, and the Brewers resurgence has been a HUGE positive for Milwaukee. And they'd be the Charlotte Brewers if Bud didn't fight tooth and nail for the ballpark.

And people act like steroid use started in 1993 when he took over. Steroid use went back well into the 80's, and no one in baseball took a stand. This is an issue overblown by people who want something to bitch about.

Baseball has not seen any drop in popularity since the issue came to the forefront, and without the juiced up 98 HR chase, MLB would be the NHL. Add in interleague play, the Wild Card, revenue sharing, not to mention MLB's innovation with MLB.TV. A lot of positives have happened under his watch.

History will show that while Bud was ripped on constantly during his time, years later we'll realize he was incredibly under-appreciated.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »
Bud is singlehandedly responsable for MLB being back in Milwaukee.  Period.  The city doesn't get the Pilots, nor do we have a modern stadium which may have caused the team to move...or at least be so bad that no one would have cared if they moved.  If it wasn't for his determination, an aging County Stadium is the home to an International League team.

I think erecting a statue is a little over the top, but whatever...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:35:36 AM »
For what Bud did for Milwaukee, he should have had a statue 20 years ago.

Baseball in Milwaukee simply doesn't exist without Bud Selig.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:54:45 AM »
For what Bud did for Milwaukee, he should have had a statue 20 years ago.

Baseball in Milwaukee simply doesn't exist without Bud Selig.

+1

There is far too much ill-will towards Bud Selig. People dont get how important he has been for both Milwaukee and MLB.

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »

I think erecting a statue is a little over the top, but whatever...

Milwaukee gave one to the Fonz.

Enough said.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »
Granted without Bud there is no baseball in Milwaukee, so he should should be remembered in that sense. I would hope for the sake of the Brewers, they highlight this ownership prowless and not mention his reign as commish.

His failures?
1994 Strike. (Coming anyway, but he oversaw it.)
Allowed replacement players.
Interleague Play (IMO).
Pushed playoffs into November and way too late into the night.
Formed a group that ousted Fay Vincent to make him the Commish.
Allowed the Brewers to move to the NL after the 1998 expansion, making his former team considering amounts of money.
Pete Rose is still suspended.
Reinstated George Steinbrenner.
Commissioned the Mitchell Report, an utter failure.
Couldn't keep a secret list of players, secret.
2002 All Start Game.
Remember when he was charged with racketeering? Expos & Twins fans do.

Whew.

LON

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:04 AM »
Granted without Bud there is no baseball in Milwaukee, so he should should be remembered in that sense. I would hope for the sake of the Brewers, they highlight this ownership prowless and not mention his reign as commish.

His failures?
Interleague Play (IMO).
Allowed the Brewers to move to the NL after the 1998 expansion, making his former team considering amounts of money.
2002 All Start Game.

Whew.

You forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of salary he takes each year.  He should pay off the balance of Miller Park.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »
So what if he created inter-league play? Tmeans that about 4 games a year a dad has to explain to his son why the AL still has that bullcrap archaic DH rule.

the dh isnt bullcrap, walking the 8 man to strike out the pitcher is

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »

His failures?
Interleague Play (IMO).
2002 All Start Game.

Whew.

Now are you going to to put together a list of all of his accomplishments, and how much the game of baseball has grown under his watch?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
Now are you going to to put together a list of all of his accomplishments, and how much the game of baseball has grown under his watch?

Feel free to try. The only reason baseball recovered from the 1994 Strike underneath his watch was because Bud turned his head while he allowed the steroid monster to grow to epic proportions.

Bud reigned over an era of baseball that will never allow itself to be compared to any other era. For the only sport that can be accurately compared to its beginnings, IMO this is very sad.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
the dh isnt bullcrap, walking the 8 man to strike out the pitcher is

That's why you pinch hit for the pitcher.  And it actually utilizes the bench instead of letting them sit for weeks on end while a big fat slob gets paid to step up to the plate three times a game.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
Feel free to try. The only reason baseball recovered from the 1994 Strike underneath his watch was because Bud turned his head while he allowed the steroid monster to grow to epic proportions.

Bud reigned over an era of baseball that will never allow itself to be compared to any other era. For the only sport that can be accurately compared to its beginnings, IMO this is very sad.

So none of this falls at the feet of Don Fehr? EVERYTHING is Bud's fault?

Bud is an easy target. But those that truly understand the game of baseball, and all of the business/labor dynamics...realize that he isn't the horrible Commissioner that many make him out to be, and that he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
So none of this falls at the feet of Don Fehr? EVERYTHING is Bud's fault?

Bud is an easy target. But those that truly understand the game of baseball, and all of the business/labor dynamics...realize that he isn't the horrible Commissioner that many make him out to be, and that he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Why should it fall on Don Fehr? Because Bud decided that he wanted nothing to do with it and pushed it off on the Player's Union? Why would the Player's Union even be interested in banning steroids? They weren't and Bud didn't step in when he should have.

I don't give a rat's ass about business/labor dynamics when over a decade of baseball was wasted.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
Why should it fall on Don Fehr? Because Bud decided that he wanted nothing to do with it and pushed it off on the Player's Union? Why would the Player's Union even be interested in banning steroids? They weren't and Bud didn't step in when he should have.

I don't give a rat's ass about business/labor dynamics when over a decade of baseball was wasted.

Drug testing must be collectively bargained! If one side (Union) does not want to negotiate it into the CBA, there is nothing the other side (Owners) can do about it.

Thats fine...you're a fan, and you dont want to believe that there is more that goes into it.

If blaming Bud makes you feel better...fine, whatever.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »
That's why you pinch hit for the pitcher.  And it actually utilizes the bench instead of letting them sit for weeks on end while a big fat slob gets paid to step up to the plate three times a game.

you sort of just made the whole point of the dh. he pinch hits for the pitcher who still gets2-3 more plate appearances even if pinch hit for. the big fat slob you refer to sounds a little bit like the guy who plays 1st for the brewers

LON

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
you sort of just made the whole point of the dh. he pinch hits for the pitcher who still gets2-3 more plate appearances even if pinch hit for. the big fat slob you refer to sounds a little bit like the guy who plays 1st for the brewers

That big fat slob played basically every game for the past two four years.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:26:19 AM by LancesOtherNut »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »
I did a little Jig the day the Selig family sold the Brewers to Mark Attanasio.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Drug testing must be collectively bargained! If one side (Union) does not want to negotiate it into the CBA, there is nothing the other side (Owners) can do about it.

Thats fine...you're a fan, and you dont want to believe that there is more that goes into it.

If blaming Bud makes you feel better...fine, whatever.

If the MLBPU doesn't want to negotiate, then Selig needed to stop being such a kitten. Instead, he knew baseball was growing, and decided he didn't need the make a big fuss about it, and he had put forth his effort.

What else? You have yet to defend Bud except trying to make yourself almighty because you know so much? Did baseball prosper underneath Selig? Yes! Did steriods play a huge role in that? YES, reference 1998. Did the largest economic boom in American History help? YES!

Get serious and lay some facts on the table. What do all of us 'stupid' baseball fans need to know that you know? I came up with 12 points very easily that show Selig as the moron/scumbag that he is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:40:19 AM by marqptm »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »

You obviously haven't had to work with Unions or the collective bargaining process then. You make it sound like Bud could have snapped his fingers and made this happen. There was no way the Union would allow dug testing. None! The players are more to blame than Bud. All of them. Even the clean ones who did call out the cheaters.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »
I did a little Jig the day the Selig family sold the Brewers to Mark Attanasio.

if it wasn't for bud selling the brewers I wouldn't want baseball in Milwaukee

all you bud apologists are delusional. He f-d Milwaukee for years.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 12:00:36 PM »

Without him, there wouldn't have been anything in Milwaukee to mess up.  We'd still be a town complaining about losing the Braves 50 years ago, and probably would have ended up becoming Cubs/Sox fans.

Bud Selig did far more good for Milwaukee baseball than anyone else ever.  His failings as commissioner pale in comparison.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »

He also saved baseball in Milwaukee. Was a minority owner of the Braves and fought to keep them. When Frederick Miller died in the 50's (don't remember the year) Milwaukee was without a steward to lead the sports community. Bud tried to get the White Sox to relocate to Milwaukee but was denied. He then tried for an expansion franchise, MLB said pound sand. So he bought the Pilots and moved them here so we could have a team. He was the driving force of baseball in Milwaukee for 30 years.

Most you detractors don't know the full scope what he did. Yeah, his recent schtick might not be the best. But Bud Selig is the single most important person baseball in Wisconsin in the last 100 years, over Robin Yount and Hank Aaron.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 12:04:10 PM »
If the MLBPU doesn't want to negotiate, then Selig needed to stop being such a kitten. Instead, he knew baseball was growing, and decided he didn't need the make a big fuss about it, and he had put forth his effort.

What else? You have yet to defend Bud except trying to make yourself almighty because you know so much? Did baseball prosper underneath Selig? Yes! Did steriods play a huge role in that? YES, reference 1998. Did the largest economic boom in American History help? YES!

Get serious and lay some facts on the table. What do all of us 'stupid' baseball fans need to know that you know? I came up with 12 points very easily that show Selig as the moron/scumbag that he is.

Well actually you came up with a bunch of opinions, conjecture. and 1 or 2 facts...

~Not his fault, your own admission.
~Agreed, dumb.
Interleague Play (IMO).
~Opinion, not fact.  Actually saavy business-wise, and avg. fan likes it.
~BFD.  And it was corrected this year.
~Yup, along with 5 other owners who thought he was doing a crappy job, nothing illegal about it.
~Your point?
~Your own opinion
~Your own opinion
~Finally, yes this was stupid, especially naming Mitchell to do it, a guy with ties to the Sox.
~So, your point that steroids ruined baseball for 10 years, but you then coming back and blaming Selig for the leak of said players who used this stuff that ruined a generation of baseball.  Just seems a bit off to me.
2002 All Start Game.
~Your solution?  Position players pitching?  Asking for debacle and injury.  Plus, it's an effin' exhibition game, really this makes him a scum bag?
~He was never charged, he was accused.  Big difference.  And that suit went where.....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »
The Commissioner of Baseball is hired by the owners.  It's highly doubtful the owners were all up in arms because their players were hitting more doubles, triples, homers .. running faster, throwing harder.    Doubtful the owners were that concerned about the long term health of their players.  The MLBPA didn't want it, nor did the owners. 

It's amazing that there are rules against steroids TODAY, working in that environment.  Bud loves the game of baseball more than any of those turkeys.  No surprise it took a decade+.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »

And people act like steroid use started in 1993 when he took over. Steroid use went back well into the 80's, and no one in baseball took a stand. This is an issue overblown by people who want something to bitch about.

Bud could have put a stop to steroids whenever he wanted.  In baseball, the commish has a "best interest of baseball" clause where he can essentially do whatever needs to be done.

Bud could have, at any time, enforced drug and steroid testing.  Instead he waited until Congress got involved to begin testing, and then when they did HE TOOK CREDIT FOR IT!

SIDE NOTE:  I hate interleague play.  It ruined the All-Star game and takes away from the World Series.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:32:36 PM by TallTitan34 »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
Bud could have put a stop to steroids whenever he wanted.  In baseball, the commish has a "best interest of baseball" clause where he can essentially do whatever needs to be done.

Bud could have, at any time, enforced drug and steroid testing.  Instead he waited until Congress got involved to begin testing, and then when they did HE TOOK CREDIT FOR IT!

SIDE NOTE:  I hate interleague play.  It ruined the All-Star game and takes away from the World Series.

Haha, if you really believe that you need to rethink your opinions.  If Bud would have enforced drug and steroid testing without it being collectively bargained, it would have took the players about 1 second to strike.  I agree that drug testing took way too long but Bud was a driving force behind the tough testing today.  Did it take 5-10 years too long? Yes, but to lay that all at the feet of Selig is ridiculous, especially when he has done so many other great things for the game, and especially for the Brewers.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »

I am not calling ALL baseball fans stupid. I am calling you (and other fans) stupid for not acknowledging that the Union exists, and alot of the things you bitch about Bud not doing, had to be collectively bargained. Those problems cannot be solved simply by Bud "not being such a kitten."  

You dont like him, you're emotional about it, I get it. Reiko already addressed your other points, but here are some things for you to suck on.

All have happened under his watch...
-Most importantly...UNPRECEDENTED labor peace since 1995.
-Increasing revenues every single year...pretty much have doubled since 200
-Revenue sharing, including the implementation and growth of MLB's Central Fund.
-MLBAM - Worth about $450 million annually, had an IPO value of more than $2 billion...not including their recent partnership with Bloomberg.
-MLB Network
-Wild Card
-From 2000-2009...8 different world series championships ...23 of the 30 teams have made the playoffs.
-Toughest drug testing in all of professional sports.

Yes, Bud has made some mistakes...but you cant ignore the good either. And you cannot ignore the fact that the MLBPA is one of the strongest unions in pro sports, and Bud cannot just do most things without collective bargaining.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
And you cannot ignore the fact that the MLBPA is one of the strongest unions in pro sports, and Bud cannot just do most things without collective bargaining.

Forget pro sports... The MLBPA is one of the strongest unions, period.

Bud big problem is that he's just terrible at PR. Compare his PR skills to that of David Stern's.... There's no comparison.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »
Forget pro sports... The MLBPA is one of the strongest unions, period.

Bud big problem is that he's just terrible at PR. Compare his PR skills to that of David Stern's.... There's no comparison.

Great point. Bud's public persona, and his manersims (arms up in the air at the All Star Game) can be seen as off putting, and cause him to be criticized.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »
You're completly right the players would strike.  But it would be different than in 1994.  In 1994 everyone became disgusted because it was rich owners vs rich players trying to become richer.

The MLBPA would look like total horse sh*t if they completly dismissed any form of drug testing.  I'm not saying that Bud should have used his clause to enforce whatever policy he wanted, but he should have used it to make some form of testing mandatory.  The details of the testing could be worked out between the two.  

EDIT:  All he had to put on thetable was urine testing.  I don't think the unon would strike over something as basic as that.  Blood testing they would definately strike over.  While urine testing isn't a complete answer, it at least would have shown he was trying.  Instead he waited until Congress made him.

Bud didn't even try, however. He didn't acknowledge steroids as a problem even once.

Everyone knew 1998, was a complete joke yet Bud didn't do a damn thing to investigate steroids because MLB was bringing in loads of cash.  In doing so Bud tarnished the game of baseball forever.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:15:06 PM by TallTitan34 »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
All have happened under his watch...
-Toughest drug testing in all of professional sports.

Because Congress made Bud do it!   But Bud will be the first to take all the credit for it.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
You're completly right the players would strike.  But it would be different than in 1994.  In 1994 everyone became disgusted because it was rich owners vs rich players trying to become richer.

The MLBPA would look like total horse sh*t if they completly dismissed any form of drug testing.  I'm not saying that Bud should have used his clause to enforce whatever policy he wanted, but he should have used it to make some form of testing mandatory.  The details of the testing could be worked out between the two. 

Bud didn't even try, however. He didn't acknowledge steroids as a problem even once.

Everyone knew 1998, was a complete joke yet Bud didn't do a damn thing to investigate steroids because MLB was bringing in loads of cash.  In doing so Bud tarnished the game of baseball forever.

Why didn't the clean players then bitch? They were getting contracts taken. When you make this an all owner issue it just shows how you have a bone to pick. Just saying.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »
Why didn't the clean players then bitch? They were getting contracts taken. When you make this an all owner issue it just shows how you have a bone to pick. Just saying.

Owners and players share the blame as well.  Bud is the guy running things though.  Whatever happens on his watch falls on him.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
For those that think revenue sharing was a good implementation, it actually isn't as great as people thing. Even if it sounds good.

The tigers and rockies are examples of teams and their owners that used the revenue sharing for the competitiveness of the league and were successful but many revenue sharing recipient teams don't improve.  Sharing doesn't attract free agents or help home grow talent. Because of how vague the rules are on revenue sharing, I believe the exact wording of the revenue sharing rules are "to increase the product on the field", the money that teams receive can go just about anywhere. This is how bad owners of cellar dwelling teams consistent turn a profit with an ever decreasingly competitive club. Examples being the Marlin's (and their mid 2000s) fire sales and Rays a team that for quite awhile averaged 70 wins but turned a huge profit. Because the Marlins cut their payroll to pennies got huge chunks of the revenue sharing and pocketed the profit. The Royals are in that mix too. All those teams have cut salaries, and have seen a decline in ticket sales while their profits and overall club value have gone up.

The Commissioners Blue Ribbon Panel on Baseball Economic's math is way over my head but the effects of revenue sharing haven't been as great as people believe.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »
Owners and players share the blame as well.  Bud is the guy running things though.  Whatever happens on his watch falls on him.

Bud doesn't work for the players, Donald Fier did. Bud works for the owners.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 05:11:45 PM »

Will you then acknowledge the good, as well?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
For those that think revenue sharing was a good implementation, it actually isn't as great as people thing. Even if it sounds good.

The tigers and rockies are examples of teams and their owners that used the revenue sharing for the competitiveness of the league and were successful but many revenue sharing recipient teams don't improve.  Sharing doesn't attract free agents or help home grow talent. Because of how vague the rules are on revenue sharing, I believe the exact wording of the revenue sharing rules are "to increase the product on the field", the money that teams receive can go just about anywhere. This is how bad owners of cellar dwelling teams consistent turn a profit with an ever decreasingly competitive club. Examples being the Marlin's (and their mid 2000s) fire sales and Rays a team that for quite awhile averaged 70 wins but turned a huge profit. Because the Marlins cut their payroll to pennies got huge chunks of the revenue sharing and pocketed the profit. The Royals are in that mix too. All those teams have cut salaries, and have seen a decline in ticket sales while their profits and overall club value have gone up.

The Commissioners Blue Ribbon Panel on Baseball Economic's math is way over my head but the effects of revenue sharing haven't been as great as people believe.

While there are flaws to the system, it did transfer over $400 million to the low revenue teams after last season. One glaring flaw, as you refer to, is that teams are not required to spend those transfers directly on payroll.

It used to be more vague, but the the 2007 CBA, addressed it. The wording in the CBA (Article XXIV(B)(5)(a)):

"(a) A principal objective of the Revenue sharing plan is to promote the growth of the Game and the industry on a individual club and on an aggregate basis. Accordingly, each Club shall use its revenue sharing receipts (from the Base Plan, the Central Fund Component and the Commissioner’s Discretionary Fund) in an effort to improve its performance on the field Each Payee Club, no later than April 1, shall report on the performance-related uses to which it put its revenue sharing receipts in the preceding Revenue Sharing Year. Consistent with his authority under the Major League Constitution, the Commissioner may impose penalties on any club that violates this obligation."

The MLBPA went after the Marlins last fall, and won...and there are rumors that they will go after other teams that seem to be trying to keep payroll down. The Marlins had to agree to dedicate more money to payroll...a couple weeks later they signed Josh Johnson.  The Owners are not pocketing it, but rather using the "improving performance on the field" phrase to work in the gray area.

Take the Pirates...17 consecutive losing seasons, but still making a profit.  Well, instead of dedicating their $ directly to payroll, they built a new complex in the Dominican Republic ($5.4 million) and spent more money on draft pick signing bonuses over the past two years, than any other team (almost $19 million). They are dedicating money to improving performance, just not spending it directly on payroll.

You cant necessary require that teams spend a certain amount of money on payroll, in fact...the UNION has rejected such proposals. In 2003 and 2007, the Owners proposed a minimum salary floor, but it was the UNION who rejected it...as they are in favor of a completely free market, and see a floor as one more step towards a cap.

In the end, it's probably all Bud's fault

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 06:33:14 AM »
Will you then acknowledge the good, as well?

I will acknowledge the good, but the way he tarnished the game makes the bad outweigh the good by a great margin.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
I will acknowledge the good, but the way he tarnished the game makes the bad outweigh the good by a great margin.

Thats right, I forgot...Bud actually injected the players himself.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 08:51:20 AM »
Thats right, I forgot...Bud actually injected the players himself.

Actually, he was the one pushing the stuff. I also heard he is the missing person from the Balco case.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 06:35:26 PM »
You guys are outta your mind if you think Bud played no role in the steroids era.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
You guys are outta your mind if you think Bud played no role in the steroids era.

I heard he invented steroids.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »

I heard he invented steroids.

I thought that was common knowledge?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
If Bud only would have sent out this fax to all the teams.

Dear steriod users,
Knock it off.  I really mean it.  It's bad, I swear.  Pretty please?

Best regards,
Al Selig

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »
Instead of your smart ass comments just answer this question.  Yes or No.

Does any blame fall on Bud Selig for the advancement of steroids in Major League Baseball?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2010, 08:34:14 AM »

Does any blame fall on Bud Selig for the advancement of steroids in Major League Baseball?

Yes.

Now you answer this question, Yes or No:

Does any blame fall on Don Fehr for the advancement of steroids in Major League Baseball?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »
Nobody ever associated with the Milwaukee Brewers deserves a statue more than Bud Selig!! He brought the team to Milwaukee, for chrissakes! What he's done as commissioner is immaterial. He should have the biggest statue of anybody at Miller Park.

And I'm a Cubs fan!!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
Yes.

Now you answer this question, Yes or No:

Does any blame fall on Don Fehr for the advancement of steroids in Major League Baseball?

Yes.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 01:31:06 AM »
Does anyone else not like the phrase "Erect Bud Selig" that appears in this title?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »

Advancement.  (See Players Union, MLBPA)

Bud didn't react strongly enough, but the Players were much more responsible for advancement.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
Maybe the Brewers can get Cialis or Viagra to sponsor the erection of Bud.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »
I'm not placing all of the blame on Bud but a lot of the responsibility still falls on him as the commissioner.  Owners, players, managers, coaches, media, etc. all share the blame but for Bud it was his league... his responsibility do something.

feedback