'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?  (Read 65949 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2010, 07:28:10 PM »
So, hypothetically, were Maymon still on the roster, does this cat get offered?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »
no, because the scholarship would be much more useful on a solid big

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
So we collected a few Williams...now some DJs...

I predict the next recruit will be a Junior. ;)
SS Marquette

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »
I almost never bring him up unless someone levels some absurdity first.  I hope you're right about Buzz.  All I've asked is that he keep going what TC started.  If he can do that, I'll be very happy camper.

Graduate kids at nearly 100%
Compete in the upper half of the Big East
Go to the NCAAs 3 of 4 years
Stay within the NCAA rules
Keep the kids out of trouble
Represent MU well

If he can do that, I'll be tickled.

I couldn't agree more,  CBB.  Thank you. 

As for the rest of this folderol:  Jesu Christe, mon freres, it's hard to tell the crap from Shinola in all these comments.  In spite of all the "expert" opinions offered on these pages, Buzz's boys just beat Connecticut for pity's sake.  Let me repeat:  WE JUST BEAT UCON! This poor little undersized bunch of ragamuffins from the wilds of Wisconsin just beat the mighty Huskies.  Rejoice and be happy!

p.s. You all are still fun to read.......mostly.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
 Agreed, this kid is from a tough bball town. Wondering why Nova/temple didnt grab him.

Nova didn't recruit him.  Temple did, but no offer....if you are to believe the recruiting services.  Same for St. Joe's, another Philly school.  LaSalle, another Philly school, did offer.

EDIT:  Rosiak also saying Nova didn't recruit him but West Virginia did offer.  That's good to hear.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:29:33 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
I went and figured. The dude's a late bloomer with some upside.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2010, 08:34:42 PM »
Nova didn't recruit him.  Temple did, but no offer....if you are to believe the recruiting services.  Same for St. Joe's, another Philly school.  LaSalle, another Philly school, did offer.

If you believe the Temple forum, they say Dunphy wanted him, but didn't have a scholie open at the moment to offer.
For whatever that's worth.

Here's what a 'Nova fan had to say about him:

He's an athletic, 6'4" scoring guard. I haven't seen him this year, but might get a look later in the year. His team is currently undefeated and they play at the 2A level, which is the second smallest. Strawberry Mansion has produced some good players over the years including; Maureece Rice (GW), Devon White (LaSalle), Flip Murray (NBA), Omar Thomas (UTEP), and Kevin Forney (Duquesne).

He scored 64 points in a game this year. However, they won that game 105-24 and he was still playing in the 4th quarter. I believe he scored 17 in that qt, too. Anyhow, the coach was suspended afterwards for poor sportsmanship.

He might end up being a sleeper at the BE level. Kids from that area are usually pretty tough.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
Rosiak quotes Newbill as having an offer from West Virginia on the table. If Huggins wanted him, he's tough.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
Another way to look at Newbill: a blooming kid who can score, but even with the talent coming in, will be staying for all four years.

I hope. ;)
SS Marquette

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:09 PM »
Guys.. he's a five star.. says so on his shirt.. why would we pass up on that??!!

I hope that was a joke, otherwise, you need to re-evaluate your life. Five star Bball camp is open to anyone who pays and signs up for the camp!

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2010, 10:41:37 PM »
Initially, he's a Blue back-up.  He also seems like a late bloomer that could have a positive upside.  If so, it's all gravy--which sometimes makes the meal.

Man I'm hungry :)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »
I hope that was a joke, otherwise, you need to re-evaluate your life. Five star Bball camp is open to anyone who pays and signs up for the camp!

I thought Rivals sent free swag to everyone who they gave a five star ranking.  Perhaps Newbill bought someone else's on eBay.

The kid's got to be excited.  Being on MU's campus will feel like a five star resort compared to north Philly.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2010, 12:42:33 AM »
Offer this kid.  Don't offer this kid.  Only one answer...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2010, 12:49:26 AM »
Initially, he's a Blue back-up. 

Initially, he's a Blue, Buycks, Cadougan, DJO and Smith back up.

Essentially we just got a commitment from our 6th guard for next year at a time when guard was the position with the absolute least amount of need.  A Center? Yes.  A Power Forward?  Definitely. A combo forward? Justifiable.  A guard?  No, not at all.  If Buzz doesn't hit a home run with his last signing or miraculously turn Otule and Mbao into a successful tandem, we're going to be stuck at the same place we've been the last 5 years. 

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2010, 01:09:54 AM »

Essentially we just got a commitment from our 6th guard for next year at a time when guard was the position with the absolute least amount of need.  A Center? Yes.  A Power Forward?  Definitely. A combo forward? Justifiable.  A guard?  No, not at all.  If Buzz doesn't hit a home run with his last signing or miraculously turn Otule and Mbao into a successful tandem, we're going to be stuck at the same place we've been the last 5 years. 

Some strong stuff there. There are some indications that the guy was getting many looks as of late, but I would have to agree that it is quite the risky move by Buzz. Truly hope it pans out and he ends up being a steal. I trust Buzz in his guard recruiting

That said two things seem quite certain:
1- MU will continue to be thin with big men and cannot afford an injury next season
2- MU will play with 3 guard sets for some time. Some of those 6-5/6-6 type guys better get used to bruising down low for Marquette (butler, williams, jones)

PS- I dont necessarily have a problem with #2, but some of those guys that will be asked to bruise down low with guys 3-4 inches taller and 30-40lbs thicker might

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2010, 04:52:28 AM »
Let's assume there are no top 200 big men anywhere in the HS ranks who have any hope of qualifying academically. If there were, we'd know about em.

Where are the Midwestern corn-fed, thick of thigh and broad of butt 6-9 kids from the Sconnie, Minnesota and Illinois farms who used to make up too much of MU's roster in the bad old (Mike Deane) days?

Hope about a kid from Texas who's big and tough?

How bout the 6-8 guys playing JUCO right now?

Can't we find a strong-bodied tough kid and teach him to play behind big guys in the post?

Right now my Jesuit education is telling me that expecting something different from the same frontcourt personnel seems to be illogical. I hope Otule and Mbao develop. However, until we see some signs that Otule's feet can support his 6-10 frame or that Mbao can develop enough strength to hold position in the post, we must assume we're dangerously thin.

Even one injury leaves us in a situation where we have to play a perfect game to beat Syracuse-sized teams.

We gotta sign a big.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2010, 06:45:13 AM »
And by the way, the two guys we have projected for next year at Center are projects and also injury prone.

And by the way, our recent past with bigs has not been too good: McMorrow, Clark, Roseboro, etc.

If any of these circumstances strike us again, we are in the shice chute.

We need quality bigs!!!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Philly guard commits to MU
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2010, 07:08:50 AM »
Pretty funny - I posted that before I learned of TC trying to call Williams and Taylory to get them to break their MU commitment and follow him to IU.  Anyway, I stand by some of what I posted previously..but after reading a lot about TC from some of you veteran posters here - it changed my perception.  This whole thread evolved after Gumby came on here and questioned the merit of this signing..and Chicos as usual, is always standing by to generate any kind of negativity he can regarding Buzz (though he will make a token complimentary statment about Buzz so as to not come off as a complete Buzz hater and tom Crean apologist).  As for you, and this signing - who do you think buzz should have offered at this point?  what players aren't Diamond in the rough, or mid-major talents that remain unsigned?  Seems like we probably got one of the best available players out there in this kid.

I have no idea who Buzz should have signed. This kid might turn out to be great. I'm not trying to be a "hater", just saying that signing a 6' 3" "diamond in the rough" is a curious move, but I have to trust Buzz knows what he is doing (at least I hope so).

As far as TC is concerned, I wouldn't let your opinions be swayed by the conjuncture on this board. A lot of opinions end up being posted as "factual accounts", when the truth is we just don't know what happened.

Oh, and as far as "taking recruits with him", I'm pretty sure Buzz did something similar with Fulce, so we need to be careful not to throw rocks. 

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2010, 08:20:10 AM »
It's probably been mentioned earlier, but if Vander Blue is as good as everyone hopes, then he will not be playing all 4 years at Marquette.  In that case, this commitment makes sense; sign a player that will develop into a solid contributor over 4 years.

Also, believe we desperately need a big with the last scholarship.  Heck, at this point point I am wondering if Chris Grimm or "Hot Rod" Gross has a 6 '8 cousin?

______

• Walk-On
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2010, 08:29:22 AM »
this is an aweful signing unless we are moving to an all guard conference

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2010, 09:10:10 AM »
Let's assume there are no top 200 big men anywhere in the HS ranks who have any hope of qualifying academically. If there were, we'd know about em.

Where are the Midwestern corn-fed, thick of thigh and broad of butt 6-9 kids from the Sconnie, Minnesota and Illinois farms who used to make up too much of MU's roster in the bad old (Mike Deane) days?

Hope about a kid from Texas who's big and tough?

How bout the 6-8 guys playing JUCO right now?

Can't we find a strong-bodied tough kid and teach him to play behind big guys in the post?

Right now my Jesuit education is telling me that expecting something different from the same frontcourt personnel seems to be illogical. I hope Otule and Mbao develop. However, until we see some signs that Otule's feet can support his 6-10 frame or that Mbao can develop enough strength to hold position in the post, we must assume we're dangerously thin.

Even one injury leaves us in a situation where we have to play a perfect game to beat Syracuse-sized teams.

We gotta sign a big.

Those midwest guys you are talking about, they play football.  It's beating a dead horse, but would I like to say I agree with everyone on this board who has said something with regards to there not being that many talented big men and that at this point, it is difficult if not impossible to find a top 100-150 kid.  Rankings don't mean a lot until a kid proves something on the college court.  DJ could end up being one of best players we have, who knows?  Also, this thread gives me the opportunity to give a shout out to a former Marquette big man and the reason for my screen name.  http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/greg_clausen.pdf

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »

We gotta sign a big.

Disagree that there are no top 200 bigs available right now. The following bigs from ESPN top 200 all ranked at 90 or better are listed as available:
Jeremy Tyler 6'9" San Diego
CJ Leslie 6'9" NC
Monterale Clark 6'10" Tx. There is an oldie but goodie--wonder if he will commit to Jail
Ricardo Ratliffe 6'8" Fla
John Graham 6'8'Md.
jaleel Roberts 6'10" NC
Plus 7 others listed, so there are about 13 top 200 big m3n out there. Why do we keep making excuses that we cannot get the few that are left.
John Graham 6'8" Md.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2010, 09:44:05 AM »
A poster or two on the other board cited Jae Crowder, 6'6" 215 lb. from Howard College (TX), as a recruit Buzz is pursuing. Lets hope that Crowder's not the last piece to the scholarship puzzle.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »

Careful, Ners and Hayward will call you a Buzz hater any second now.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2010, 11:11:10 AM »
Disagree that there are no top 200 bigs available right now. The following bigs from ESPN top 200 all ranked at 90 or better are listed as available:
Jeremy Tyler 6'9" San Diego
CJ Leslie 6'9" NC
Monterale Clark 6'10" Tx. There is an oldie but goodie--wonder if he will commit to Jail
Ricardo Ratliffe 6'8" Fla
John Graham 6'8'Md.
jaleel Roberts 6'10" NC
Plus 7 others listed, so there are about 13 top 200 big m3n out there. Why do we keep making excuses that we cannot get the few that are left.
John Graham 6'8" Md.

Well Jeremy Tyler skipped his SR year of HS and is playing in Israel right now. Probably should do a little research on these guys before you just assume Buzz can go out and scoop them up.

Again...if the available big men suck, so you really want them?  We have 2 projects at the C spot now, do you want to add a 3rd?

I believe Buzz is looking to add a PF, someone that can fill the void that Lazar's graduation will leave. He wants  someone that can contribute come Big East play next year...I trust that he is doing his due diligence to find that player.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:16:08 AM by GOMU1104 »

feedback