[Today at 04:11:02 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[Today at 02:56:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:29:07 PM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Loyola Maryland beats IU on a 4 point play at the end.  (Read 34215 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Loyola Maryland beats IU on a 4 point play at the end.
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
I heard the same thing....DURING HIS PRESS CONFERENCE AFTER HE LOST TO LOYOLA!! I wonder why he brought that up?

Because he was brought in to do several things

1) Clean up the mess - check
2) Get kids to go to class, graduate, become good citizens - check
3) Win basketball games - still in process

Like any project that anyone in big business works on, you have markers to meet and time lines in which to do them.  That's probably why he brought it up, because they've made progress in the areas that are dear to the university but not the average sports fan.  They have not made enough progress on the court, but they will. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Doc's kid really had trouble at the end
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »
LOL.  I think Denny Crane gets the honor, along with Mr. Hayward.  But I'll take your slam...no issue.

I'd rather have that slam than be bitter each day like some people are on this board....as if they were jilted at the altar or didn't get asked out by the quarterback for prom and then hope he cracks up in a car crash years later.  No way to live life, but some choose to do so.

Happy Holidays.

PS  I told you so....Buzz will do well at Marquette (hope I'm right)

It's not a slam.  It is what it is, an accurate label. :-D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
And

Where do you guys keep coming up with this "middle of the night" comment?

The timeline was that he accepted the job the morning of the 1st,  scheduled an announcement for the next morning, left an urgent message with his boss--who was on a flight due to land by about 4:00 PM, called a team meeting AND met with the team before dinner that same day--before nightfall, no less middle of the night.

But what I really want to know is what you would declare to be reasonable?  Call the FAA to place an emergency inflight call to Cottingham?  Call the players out of class?

To me--reasonable seems to be exactly what Crean did--1. leave a message with Cottingham to call the minute he's on the ground and 2. schedule a team meeting after classes are done for the day.

Can you explain how people have more respect for O'Neill--who not only did NOT issue a simple presser thanking MU, but actually gave an interviews highly critical of MU, its administration and its fans?

While didn't praise MU when he left, he has also not made one iota of criticism either.  O'Neill crapped on MU for years, and only when his career completely fell apart and MU looked like a step up again did he try to make nice.

Ooooh.....  +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Hopefully I had as many zeros as Lenny. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2009, 04:15:22 PM »

Show me all the slings I take at Buzz....should be easy since there are so many.  Please, list them.  I'll bet you could come up with 500, 100, 50, 10 pretty easily.  Incidentally, I took my shots at Crean, too.  Why do you never mention that?  The only thing I've gotten on Buzz for was free throws, the use of timeouts, and seeming to take a few kids that were riskier than the reward.  I would criticize Crean for scheduling, substitution patterns, etc, but those are ignored and now I'm his brother.   ::)

The death penalty example is because they had one player left with 29 total DI minutes.  It would be like starting a program from scratch.  ONE PLAYER on the team with 29 minutes of experience.  Think about it.

The only recruiting class I've compared to Buzz's is the one is playing now.  Both were top 20 classes, IU's was ranked higher of the two but both are solid classes.  The class after, MU's is better than IU's so why would I have stated that? Now, I did say the class that IU was in contention for following the next one could be huge if they get the players they are trying to get, but since that class isn't done I don't know how those comments would come about.

It seems to me some of you who hate Crean with every bone in your body don't like it when someone points out a few facts.  That's all I'm doing.  You don't like someone to rain on the bitterness parade.  

Someone should create an organization called moveon.org for people to move on....we have a new coach, why keep harping on the old one?  

OH, and it's entirely rational and possible to like both the current coach and the former coach, something that's also lost on so many people here.

I think the problem is that you have annointed yourself his public defender ;)

oooo lucky post 777!!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:59:25 PM by Hards_Alumni »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »
It seems like there are three groups of haters.

1: People who are mad because 'he left for a better school.'
My question about these people is what percentage of you have ever spent 9 years doing the same job?  After 9 years if you got an offer from a company that had better name recognition would you have considered it?

2: People who are mad becasue of the way he did it. (he should have told his players first since he controlled every media leak in indiana, he signed his contract to recently as if coaches didn't do that all the time, he turned his back on his players you know, because coaches who are nice people only leave when they have no seniors)
These people would have a lot more credability if there weren't 1000's of them every time any coach leaves any school.  It's just amazing how every coach in the history of college sports who ever left did it in a jerkish way.

3. People who hate him because he's a jerk based on something they heard.
He's supposed to be a jerk.  MOST coaches are.  There are plenty of times it helps.
But raw i know one guy who works for some school and knows a guy in the athletic department who says that the general feeling towards the coach is that he's nice.

Well good for that freaking place.  Don't care.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »
Not a TC hater, but this is still funny.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »

My question about these people is what percentage of you have ever spent 9 years doing the same job?  After 9 years if you got an offer from a company that had better name recognition would you have considered it?

2: People who are mad becasue of the way he did it. (he should have told his players first since he controlled every media leak in indiana, he signed his contract to recently as if coaches didn't do that all the time, he turned his back on his players you know, because coaches who are nice people only leave when they have no seniors)
These people would have a lot more credability if there weren't 1000's of them every time any coach leaves any school.  It's just amazing how every coach in the history of college sports who ever left did it in a jerkish way.

He's supposed to be a jerk.  MOST coaches are.  There are plenty of times it helps.
But raw i know one guy who works for some school and knows a guy in the athletic department who says that the general feeling towards the coach is that he's nice.

You forgot:

4. People who are good judges of character.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »
You forgot:

4. People who are good judges of character.

I keep hearing this same "lack of character" argument over and over and over again.

Aside from Hayward admitting that he was miffed that Crean's son won an award at a camp--so miffed in fact that allowed his son go back--nobody seems able to document any actual examples of this "lack of character". 

Usually "lack of character" is evidenced by things like getting caught making NCAA recruiting violations, egregious technical fouls or ejections leading to suspension by the NCAA, getting naked in front of your team, embarrassing videos of the coach kissing coeds at frat parties, getting drunk and disorderly at campus bars, getting arrested for DWI, recruiting players of questionable morals, or giving favors to players who don't cut it in the classroom like having tutors take the tests for them. 

Getting into fistfights with your players might be a sign of lack of character, but as Al proved, that isn't necessarily the case.

To me, a real sign of lack character are those who keep lobbing accusations but don't have anything to back them up.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2009, 08:29:59 PM »
+ 100  Can we move on?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2009, 09:25:20 PM »
Michael Jackson, Brett Favre, Roman Polansky, Bobby Knight, Bill Clinton, George Bush

ask Bobby Knight what he thinks about IU being one of the top five basketball programs in history.

What is the common thread here?

M Jackson and Polansky pedophiles so they are scum bags

Bobby Knight has a temper but that's not a crime (BTW What does he think about IU's reputation?)

Brett Favre...what, he left the Packers?

Clinton got an air start in the Oval Office from an ugly fat chick

and George Bush threw up on the Japanese PM

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
I speak for many who felt liberated on 4/1/08.

A bit dramatic but well stated. It has that 'Patton's 3rd Army kicking in the gates of Buchenwald' ring to it

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »
And

The timeline was that he accepted the job the morning of the 1st,  scheduled an announcement for the next morning, left an urgent message with his boss--who was on a flight due to land by about 4:00 PM, called a team meeting AND met with the team before dinner that same day--before nightfall, no less middle of the night.

But what I really want to know is what you would declare to be reasonable?  Call the FAA to place an emergency inflight call to Cottingham?  Call the players out of class?

To me--reasonable seems to be exactly what Crean did--1. leave a message with Cottingham to call the minute he's on the ground and 2. schedule a team meeting after classes are done for the day.

Well, that is one version of the story told by Crean. Another was that Joanie was sick and he was tending to her and couldn't tell the administration. Or did you forget him throwing his wife (who seemed quite well at the press conference) under the bus?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2009, 11:39:19 PM »

Stands and applauds.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2009, 11:42:09 PM »
Well, that is one version of the story told by Crean. Another was that Joanie was sick and he was tending to her and couldn't tell the administration. Or did you forget him throwing his wife (who seemed quite well at the press conference) under the bus?

For as slick a guy as the Tanned One can be he really fumbled his lies on this one. In particlar his pathetic story about tending to his sick wife was such a transparent "excuse" that I was actually embarrassed for him. Unfortunately, Mrs Warthog and I were in Carmel on holiday when this story broke and my attempts to follow it got me into some hot water with my wife. She could care less about sports unless it is her beloved Middlebury Panthers national champ lacrosse teams then we would be sitting in front of ESPN...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2009, 11:57:18 PM »
And

The timeline was that he accepted the job the morning of the 1st, scheduled an announcement for the next morning, left an urgent message with his boss--who was on a flight due to land by about 4:00 PM, called a team meeting AND met with the team before dinner that same day--before nightfall, no less middle of the night.

I love Crean for the restoration of the program.  Madness?  100 People showed up at the first one. TCrean brought us back from the dead.

However, your timeline is factually incorrect.  We all saw the fax signed by Crean dated the previous evening accepting the job.  It is common knowledge as IU is a public university so this cannot be denied.  We also know it is on record that Crean talked to Izzo up to a week before and Rivers a couple days before.  He then had his bro-in-law spread the word on ESPN mid day of the 1st., as he forgot to tell his superiors and players he recruited that he was gone although he knew they were getting on a plane midday--how convenient?  The middle of the night  comment arises from Crean himself when he claimed "flu" and scurried to scramble to tell his players and head to Bloomington "in the middle of the night"--literally to show how great he was despite the "flu".   

He had every right to leave...but enough of the 'victim syndrome" him and his handlers like to spread.  Truly classless despite all his other accomplishments!,  He is imperfect, admit it...and a douce, per Fr. Wild
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:01:43 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »

Actually, it was widely reported that Cottingham was on a plane to the WNIT in Denver and Fr. Wild was on a plane to Washington DC.  I don't even think Cottinham or Wild have denied this.  And they both have confirmed that they spoke with Crean later that day.

It was also widely reported that the team met with Crean at his home before he left for the press conference the next morning.  This is not a made-up story that is unconfirmed by anyone else.  I don't think anyone--including the players--deny that the team went out to Crean's home where he told them in person that he was leaving.  

If you want to ignore reality because it makes you feel better about holding a grudge, go right ahead.  But don't expect that others will play along.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »

Crean's no different than any other coach. They all throw their wives under the bus to cover up their bad behavior. Anyone who doesn't believe that is a bitter jilted lover. Don't be such a hater.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2009, 12:04:25 AM »
...and a douce, per Fr. Wild

Uh, um, douce? Do you mean Fr Wild said that Crean is a deuce or a douche?

"Boy, ol' Tommy's a real deuce, isn't he fellas?"

Or..

"That sonuvabitch Crean's a real douche, isn't he?"

There is a difference...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »
Uh, um, douce? Do you mean Fr Wild said that Crean is a deuce or a douche?

"Boy, ol' Tommy's a real deuce, isn't he fellas?"

Or..

"That sonuvabitch Crean's a real douche, isn't he?"

There is a difference...

Factually, both!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »

Crean's no different than any other coach. They all throw their wives under the bus to cover up their bad behavior. Anyone who doesn't believe that is a bitter jilted lover. Don't be such a hater.

Lenny, that's why I am so fortunate to have Ms Warthog by my side. I know, when word leaks I am meeting a $5,000/night call girl at a $2,000 suite at the Mayflower, Mrs Warthog will be there by my side in public. I know, when word leaks I have been flying off to Buenos Aires to meet an on-line mistress, Mrs Warthog will be there in public to get me back into the cockpit. I know,when a dozen women pitch up about my affairs with them, Mrs Warthog will help me into the Escalade I don't own. Sure, she likes Barbra Streisand music but she will always be there for me!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2009, 01:04:57 AM »
Lenny, that's why I am so fortunate to have Ms Warthog by my side. I know, when word leaks I am meeting a $5,000/night call girl at a $2,000 suite at the Mayflower, Mrs Warthog will be there by my side in public. I know, when word leaks I have been flying off to Buenos Aires to meet an on-line mistress, Mrs Warthog will be there in public to get me back into the cockpit. I know,when a dozen women pitch up about my affairs with them, Mrs Warthog will help me into the Escalade I don't own. Sure, she likes Barbra Streisand music but she will always be there for me!

And you've stayed by her side in spite of her fondness for Babs - something I could not abide. I salute your equanimity.

On a more serious note, take care of yourself during your upcoming tour of duty. I'm sure you'll be a less frequent poster and the board will be poorer for that. But the bad news for SCOOP will be worse news for the bad guys in Iraq/Afghanistan. Upon your return it would be my pleasure to buy you and Mrs Warthog a beverage at the dive of your choice. Stay well.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2009, 01:08:36 AM »
However, your timeline is factually incorrect.  We all saw the fax signed by Crean dated the previous evening accepting the job.  It is common knowledge as IU is a public university so this cannot be denied.

Funny thing about that fax--there were two relevant timestamps--a fact you conveniently disregard.  One--that you refer to here--was at 7:10 pm on Monday.  The other came at 1:45 PM on Tuesday.

Hmm.  For Crean to sign and return an offer letter, doesn't he have to receive it first?

Wouldn't that make the first time stamp--7:10 on Monday evening--the time when it was sent FROM Indiana TO Crean?  

And wouldn't it follow that the one dated 1:45 PM is when Crean accepted the job by returning the fax?  

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2009, 01:41:33 AM »
Chicos- are you Tom Crean???????

IF NOT... you are equally as lame as him.

You are a lame person who defends a loser (Tom Crean). Have fun in life....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2009, 06:06:33 AM »

You've been sniffing too much of the depleted uranium on your .30mm rounds.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2009, 06:13:57 AM »
You've been sniffing too much of the depleted uranium on your .30mm rounds.

BTW, if you are being deployed, best of luck to you and the family, and use those rounds for some good use. 

feedback