[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 23290 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:22:03 AM »
All I can say is....wow.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:19 AM »
it was sweet?

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:35:03 AM »
it was sweet?

he can't say. he can only say the word "wow"  ;)
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »
heard similar things from everyone I have talked to who has seen it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:04:26 AM »
heard similar things from everyone I have talked to who has seen it.

The college kid next door (who is my 12-year old's unofficial "big brother") said it's the greatest movie ever.  He said they got their money's worth for the $300+ million they spent.  He saw it in 3D at the IMAX.

Question for those who've seen it:  it's OK for a 12-year old boy, right?  Any concerns?

We almost went last night, but I was too tired.  I figure we'll go later this week.  I have such fond memories of watching the block-busters of my youth on the big screen (Star Wars, Raiders, etc.) and I want to take him to this movie.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »
The college kid next door (who is my 12-year old's unofficial "big brother") said it's the greatest movie ever.  He said they got their money's worth for the $300+ million they spent.  He saw it in 3D at the IMAX.

Question for those who've seen it:  it's OK for a 12-year old boy, right?  Any concerns?

We almost went last night, but I was too tired.  I figure we'll go later this week.  I have such fond memories of watching the block-busters of my youth on the big screen (Star Wars, Raiders, etc.) and I want to take him to this movie.

cost was more like $500 million.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »
cost was more like $500 million.

Which is appalling as they did not pay for big name actors/actresses and spent $150 million on marketing alone. I was really hoping to see another Battlefield Earth debacle, but hearing otherwise.

The $150 million in marketing has me thinking because has anyone else just really felt 'blah' about the commercials? I really have no desire to see it due to the marketing, but thinking otherwise due to word of mouth.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »

IMDB's parental guides for films are a pretty good descriptor of what adult stuff happens in a movie without a lot of editorial comments involving what or what not a child should be seeing.

via IMDB's parent guide for Avatar:
Sex & Nudity

A female native(alien) wears indigenous attire. Her bare breasts are pretty much visible throughout the entire film, though there is no discernible areolae.

Male natives wear loincloths that cover front.

Several alien behinds are seen, though most of it is covered by the tail.

A male and female begin to kiss. The female jumps on the man and moans slightly. (Sex is implied.)

An alien character fondles his ponytail (which we later learn is a sensory organ) and is told "If you keep doing that, you'll go blind."

Violence & Gore

Numerous scenes of alien creatures being killed, some by other creatures, some by humans. A wolf-like creature has to be put out of pain.

A man gets semi-eaten then thrown by a dragon-like creature.

A man is shot with two large arrows and is seen suffering to expiration.

Intense battle sequences where both vehicles and their operators are destroyed.

Profanity

Moderate profanity including: d***, s***

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

Moderate Smoking

Moderate drinking and references to drinking in a positive light

Frightening/Intense Scenes

Numerous scenes of pursuit, some by alien creatures, some by humans.

An attack sequence where something important is destroyed is distressful to the characters, so much so that they wail in mourning.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »
IMDB's parental guides for films are a pretty good descriptor of what adult stuff happens in a movie without a lot of editorial comments involving what or what not a child should be seeing.

via IMDB's parent guide for Avatar:

Thanks.  I have several sources I look to, but hadn't looked at IMDB.  I also always like to hear what people think.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
I saw it the other night.  I thought this was a movie like Star Wars

Just like Star Wars this movie used new filming techniques which will make all the movies that come after it that much better.  In comparison, the Harry Potter films do a good job, but 3-6 times in each movie there's a scene that looks SO bad I wish the director/producer had reshot it to make it look more plausible.  Avatar had no such scenes.  It was truely amazing.

The storyline was a little "Hollywoodish" but I'd see it again because it's that impressive.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
I have heard A+ special effects C in story and plot.
But I like to throw handfuls...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
It sounds like IMAX 3-D is the proper way to see this flick.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
>An alien character fondles his ponytail (which we later learn is a sensory organ) and is told "If you keep doing that, you'll go blind."

I had no desire to see this film until I read this. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
I saw it in 3D at the IMAX.

For a 12 year old, not a problem...I took my 11 year old.  A few cuss words and there are some pretty wild battle scenes at the end, but nothing that isn't in about every video game or dartoon it seems.  The main female character you can see her breasts but it's like watching National Geographic, unless breasts from 12 foot tall blue female creature are your thing.

Story is good, solid, entertaining (it's not going to win anything on the story, but it's not bad either)....not great...but snappy and keeps the pace going.

The effects and overall concepting is just beyond description.  I don't think anything can be said to describe it unless you actually see it.  Worth going to the theatre, which is something I wouldn't say very often.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:21:12 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
>An alien character fondles his ponytail (which we later learn is a sensory organ) and is told "If you keep doing that, you'll go blind."

I had no desire to see this film until I read this. 

I'm going to grow a pony tail now.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »
I'm going to grow a pony tail now.

i read this thread right before going to avatar. this line could slip by easily w/o keen ears, fortunately the line came early and i heard it, had a nice immature chuckle to myself. overall it was very good, cutting edge. the plot was very storybook as some have said. the graphics were very surreal and creative.

LON

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45:09 AM »
I know I'm not saying anything original when I post this, but I immediately thought of the Smurfs when I saw the trailer.

That being said, and reviewing what others have said, I'm going to try and get the girlfriend to come with me to see this...I don't care if the story sucks, I'll gladly pay for the special effects.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
I know I'm not saying anything original when I post this, but I immediately thought of the Smurfs when I saw the trailer.

That being said, and reviewing what others have said, I'm going to try and get the girlfriend to come with me to see this...I don't care if the story sucks, I'll gladly pay for the special effects.

You'll enjoy it....the story doesn't suck, it's just been told before in different ways.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:22 AM »

South Park did a bit on that and the same connection was made.

LON

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:01 PM »
South Park did a bit on that and the same connection was made.

I did see that episode, but it was nowhere near as good as the "George Lucas raping Indiana Jones" episode.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 03:34:10 PM »
I did see that episode, but it was nowhere near as good as the "George Lucas raping Indiana Jones" episode.

One of the all time greats.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
You'll enjoy it....the story doesn't suck, it's just been told before in different ways.

I have not seen it, but have been told the plot is basically "Pocahontas in Space."
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »

Or as good as the Woodland Critters Christmas.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
All I have to say regarding the South Park "best episode" is:

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha, made you eat your parents!"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »
The Radiohead cameo has to be the greatest ever on that show.