collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 23294 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Avatar
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness!  <lick> <lick>

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »
"Or as good as the Woodland Critters Christmas."

This episode is on at 9:30 tonight!!!!!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 07:32:36 AM »
"Or as good as the Woodland Critters Christmas."

This episode is on at 9:30 tonight!!!!!

Greatest Christmas Special Ever - no matter what show it is.
But I like to throw handfuls...

LON

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »
Greatest Christmas Special Ever - no matter what show it is.

Blood orgy!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »
Got to Avatar over the weekend with my son.  I agree with Chico's review:  wow!  We really enjoyed it.  In my opinion, it's so well done that you don't really realize that much of the movie is totally CGI.  I've read that they "seamlessly" blend the CGI with the real, and I have to agree -- best effects I've ever seen.  We saw it in 2D because I hate those glasses and didn't want to get stuck with the choice of keeping the glasses on and being annoyed, or watching a blurry movie without the glasses.  Now that I've seen the movie (and talked to friends who have seen it in 3D), I kind of want to see it again in 3D.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 02:33:41 PM »
Got to Avatar over the weekend with my son.  I agree with Chico's review:  wow!  We really enjoyed it.  In my opinion, it's so well done that you don't really realize that much of the movie is totally CGI.  I've read that they "seamlessly" blend the CGI with the real, and I have to agree -- best effects I've ever seen.  We saw it in 2D because I hate those glasses and didn't want to get stuck with the choice of keeping the glasses on and being annoyed, or watching a blurry movie without the glasses.  Now that I've seen the movie (and talked to friends who have seen it in 3D), I kind of want to see it again in 3D.

I would say 3D is the way to go. Its not over-done, pop out in your face 3D, but more subtle for the most part, making you feel like your in the action, which is how it should be. It just seemed less 'gimmicky' than other 3D films i've seen. Very well done IMO.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »
James Cameron really out did himself on this one.......Fantastic cinamatography albeit sub-par and predictable plot.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
Special effects - A+

Thinly veiled environmental propaganda - F

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
Special effects - A+

I take it you don't believe in climate change.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 04:48:05 PM »
Special effects - A+

"environmental propaganda" is bad for you? Next thing you know, some pie-in-the-sky do-gooder will want us to clean up the mess we've made.  What the hell, leave it for the next guy to take care of, I'm too busy consuming.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »

I think everyone with a brain believes in climate change. Is it caused by my SUV? don't believe so...
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »
I think everyone with a brain believes in climate change. Is it caused by my SUV? don't believe so...

Amen.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 06:11:41 PM »
it's less environmental propaganda as it is evil American imperialism propaganda. the story was ripped from dances with wolves but this movie was never about the story. the story was just kind of necessary to give an excuse to use the special effects.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »
Your SUV?  No.  The couple million on American roads.  Not by much.  The hundreds of millions on the worlds roads along with the thousands of coal plants, oil refineries...a little more likely.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 09:12:54 PM »
"environmental propaganda" is bad for you? Next thing you know, some pie-in-the-sky do-gooder will want us to clean up the mess we've made.  What the hell, leave it for the next guy to take care of, I'm too busy consuming.

You're right.  Where do I go to clean up those messy sunspots that have much more to do with any so-called climate change than anything man is doing?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 10:10:10 PM »
You're right.  Where do I go to clean up those messy sunspots that have much more to do with any so-called climate change than anything man is doing?

I'm thinking we should probably not get into this... since most scientists would disagree with your fringe science.

but, like I said, lets not get into this. ;)

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09:44 AM »
I'm thinking we should probably not get into this... since most scientists would disagree with your fringe science.

Agreed.  No point in re-hashing the fudged data by these scientists. ;)

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 01:06:37 AM »
Sick movie. 

Just got out of the 3D showing...I think I might go back to watch it in IMAX 3D next.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2009, 01:32:27 AM »

+1....it was a bit of propaganda....I believe in climate change as well....it's changing all the time, warm, cold...has been for billions of years and will continue to do so, whether we are here on this planet of not.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 01:34:45 AM »

Except when they lose the data or make it up and willfully talk about manipulating it....but I agree, let's not get into this.

Meanwhile, Mars, Jupiter, Titan, Pluto, etc are all warming during the same time period....those damn SUVs and roads on those planets \ moons...someone really needs to clamp down.  Where is the Intergalactic Environmental minister when you need him\her\it? 

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 02:43:03 AM »
  Where is the Intergalactic Environmental minister when you need him\her\it? 

That will be Obama's campaign promise before the next election. After all, he did successfully lower the sea levels.
BEARS STILL SUCK

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »

Why does it always have to go back to the 'climate'.  I believe in smog.  I can see smog, i don't want to breath smog.  If environmentalists spent the last 15 years trying to convince people that having cleaner air was important, rather than that we were causing some sort of hard to improve global change they would have gotten a lot more traction a lot quicker.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
and this one will be locked in 3....2.....

Why does everything have to turn into a let's see who can yell louder political dick size contest?????

unnatural carnal knowledge!!!!!
But I like to throw handfuls...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »
Just don't punch my political dick.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
Why does it always have to go back to the 'climate'.  I believe in smog.  I can see smog, i don't want to breath smog.  If environmentalists spent the last 15 years trying to convince people that having cleaner air was important, rather than that we were causing some sort of hard to improve global change they would have gotten a lot more traction a lot quicker.

I agree, but part of that problem is that the solutions are different.  Almost everyone wants cleaner air and water, that is something we should all strive for.  But when we've gone down the insane path of saying CO2 is a pollutant (it's what we EXHALE as living creatures...it is FOOD for plants), then you know the insanity is alive and well.

Plus, you can't tax the Sun and this is as much about money and power as anything else.  You can tax wealthy countries and citizens, so it's a lot easier to blame it on people breathing and driving SUVs so as to extract money than it is to look at the natural cycles that have been going on for billions of years...because no revenue can be grabbed from that perspective.