Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looks like we should have very little problem beating Pittsburgh this year  (Read 15861 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Looks like anyone can beat them.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Looks like we should have very little problem beating Pittsburgh this year
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »

For sure.

Shut down Gibbs and Wannamaker and there goes 80% of their scoring.

Or zone them...like IU is doing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:46:29 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:46:54 PM »
Pitt and nd are terrible.  I'm starting to think we will be in the top half - we are better than I'd hoped and several teams have not reloaded nearly as quicky as mu.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:41:02 PM »
I caught a few minutes early in the second half.  Both Pitt + IIII looked horrible!  We've reloaded so quickly thanks to Buzz!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:44:24 PM »
I caught a few minutes early in the second half.  Both Pitt + IIII looked horrible!  We've reloaded so quickly thanks to Buzz!

That's why we should have very little problem destroying Pitt this year.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:26:46 AM »
Come on guys you should already know by now that this is Chicos way of subconsciously tooting TC's horn while attacking the TC haters, like hayward, simultaneously

I often agree with many of the things ya say Chicos, but u cannot tell me im off base here. It may be that u root for TC even more because of the absurdity that comes from all those that hate him so much and block out his accomplishments, and i guess I cant blame you

I will say this much though- for those that got more emotion out of indiana upsetting pitt than outta MU winning, and im sure there are a few, there is no better indication that it is time to cut the cord

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:36:24 AM »
I'm an alum of Marquette and Indiana.  I watch both programs. Not sure what you mean by cutting the cord, am I not allowed to cheer for both schools since I attended both?  I watched MU wipe the floor against a very poor UWM team tonight.  I was happy we won, but still feel it's ridiculous we even play them.  It helps us not one bit, zero upside.

I watched the IU game for two reasons....it's where I also went to school and because they were playing Pitt, a conference foe.

Pitt looks HORRIBLE.  It's the first time I've seen them play all year.  We should have very little problem beating them, that's what I said and I'm sticking to it.  I didn't realize they needed OT to be Duquense the other day as well (another reason why you don't play cross town rivals that are light years below you).

IU is not good and won't be until next year (even then, they'll just be respectable).  If they can dismantle Pitt like that on a neutral court, we should do the same, especially on our home court.   That's all it was, sorry to disappoint.  If you or others take it a different way, that's fine. I didn't mention any coach at all in my post, unlike some posters who simply cannot avoid it.

Of note, Bobby Knight was there...it was the first IU game he has seen in person since he left the school. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:39:33 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:21 AM »
I'm an alum of Marquette and Indiana.  I watch both programs. Not sure what you mean by cutting the cord, am I not allowed to cheer for both schools since I attended both?  I watched MU wipe the floor against a very poor UWM team tonight.  I was happy we won, but still feel it's ridiculous we even play them.  It helps us not one bit, zero upside.

I watched the IU game for two reasons....it's where I also went to school and because they were playing Pitt, a conference foe.

Pitt looks HORRIBLE.  It's the first time I've seen them play all year.  We should have very little problem beating them, that's what I said and I'm sticking to it.  I didn't realize they needed OT to be Duquense the other day as well (another reason why you don't play cross town rivals that are light years below you).

IU is not good and won't be until next year (even then, they'll just be respectable).  If they can dismantle Pitt like that on a neutral court, we should do the same, especially on our home court.   That's all it was, sorry to disappoint.  If you or others take it a different way, that's fine. I didn't mention any coach at all in my post, unlike some posters who simply cannot avoid it.

Of note, Bobby Knight was there...it was the first IU game he has seen in person since he left the school. 

Didnt know you were an Indiana alum, so i apologize there. I do however know that when u make statements like "looks like we should have very little problem beating pitt" it is a bit of a knock at crean haters who come and attack the job he is doing at Indiana.

I understand that Pitt looked bad, but just because they played a poor game against Indiana doesnt mean they will against MU

Its indiana, its indiana

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 01:11:41 AM »
Didnt know you were an Indiana alum, so i apologize there. I do however know that when u make statements like "looks like we should have very little problem beating pitt" it is a bit of a knock at crean haters who come and attack the job he is doing at Indiana.

I understand that Pitt looked bad, but just because they played a poor game against Indiana doesnt mean they will against MU

Its indiana, its indiana

Ahh, very true.  Probably the same argument could be made that just because IU played poorly against Boston University, doesn't mean they will against, Pitt, for example.  I think you are catching on.  We'll see if a few of the other folks with less developed frontal lobes can manage that reasoning as well.  ;)

Nevertheless, we should beat Pitt.  It's at MU, Pitt isn't very good and if a no talent, hack coached team like IU can do it, then we certainly we can with our quickly reloaded squad (besides, I picked MU to beat Pitt on the blog and I'd hate to miss that one....or maybe I subconsciously picked MU to win that game to show up Buzz as my way to take on the TC haters because I knew 5 weeks ago that IU would win tonight against Pitt....it's all coming together now?)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »
IU is the second worst team in the B10, Pit is very poor too. They lost all their offense and it seems like alot of there toughness.  The game was brutal to watch, two very very bad teams.  Chicos can crow all he wants that IU won.  Good for him.  IU is still terrible no matter how hard he wants to toot their horn. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:55:16 AM »

Why the teal?  Lowest scoring first half since the shot clock....I'd say most teams should beat them.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »
Actually I thought Indiana's 2 freshman looked ok out  on the floor  They seem to have some potential

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »
I said in the chat last night that it would be a close game.  I have no doubt TC will get IU back to the NCAAs...I also have no doubt he will be run out eventually for lack of NCAA Tourney success.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
I agree they look very beatable now.. we don't play them for another 2 months.. a LOT can change in those two months.  Past experience tells me that this is never a game to be taken lightly.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 09:26:37 AM »
Come on guys you should already know by now that this is Chicos way of subconsciously tooting TC's horn while attacking the TC haters, like hayward, simultaneously

I often agree with many of the things ya say Chicos, but u cannot tell me im off base here. It may be that u root for TC even more because of the absurdity that comes from all those that hate him so much and block out his accomplishments, and i guess I cant blame you

I will say this much though- for those that got more emotion out of indiana upsetting pitt than outta MU winning, and im sure there are a few, there is no better indication that it is time to cut the cord

Nothing "subconscious" about it.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »
Indiana will be lucky to win ten games this year.  Mark it down.  Pitt will be better at the end of the year as Jamie Dixon is head and shoulders above Crean as a coach and recruiter.  Games in December mean little.  Remember how most Crean teams looked like world beaters early but you didn;t want to be an equipment manager for Tommy Naismith in March.  Watch out for flying tape and football dummies.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 09:35:03 AM »
Indiana will be lucky to win ten games this year.  Mark it down.  Pitt will be better at the end of the year as Jamie Dixon is head and shoulders above Crean as a coach and recruiter.  Games in December mean little.  Remember how most Crean teams looked like world beaters early but you didn;t want to be an equipment manager for Tommy Naismith in March.  Watch out for flying tape and football dummies.

I really like Dixon, very solid coach and recruiter.  For some odd reason, however, despite being head and shoulders above another coach, that other coach has more than held his own against him...in fact, has a winning record head to head against him.   ;)

IU will be destroyed by Kentucky this weekend and certain folks will return to happiness as a result.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »
I said in the chat last night that it would be a close game.  I have no doubt TC will get IU back to the NCAAs...I also have no doubt he will be run out eventually for lack of NCAA Tourney success.

Which is what happens to about 90% of coaches...eventually they are all fired or retire at some point.  Nothing new here, that's what happens to just about everyone not named Boeheim, Roy Williams, Calhoun, etc.

No different than what will happen with Buzz....he'll either do well, stick around for awhile and then leave.  Do poorly and be asked to leave.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
Key to Indiana's win over Pitt last night - Jim Harbaugh?
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »
Crean had an explanation for why the Hoosiers came out the way they did for the second half. He had his brother-in-law, Stanford football coach Jim Harbaugh, address the team at halftime.
"I can tell you they never heard a halftime speech like that," Crean said. "They were charging out of that locker room.
"

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=293420084

MARQKC

• Starter
Re: Key to Indiana's win over Pitt last night - Jim Harbaugh?
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
Crean had an explanation for why the Hoosiers came out the way they did for the second half. He had his brother-in-law, Stanford football coach Jim Harbaugh, address the team at halftime.
"I can tell you they never heard a halftime speech like that," Crean said. "They were charging out of that locker room.
"

I'm neither a Crean lover nor a Crean basher, but if I were him, I wouldn't brag too much about this. Shouldn't Crean be giving the halftime pep talk? Maybe Jim Harbaugh should be the IU basketball coach.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »
IU will be destroyed by Kentucky this weekend and certain folks will return to happiness as a result.

I can't wait to read the IIII boards with my Sunday morning coffee!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »
"

How was Crean able to get Jim Harbaugh to address his team at halftime? Does he have some relationship with Harbaugh?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:51:15 AM by warthog-driver »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »
you didn;t want to be an equipment manager for Tommy Naismith in March.  Watch out for flying tape and football dummies.

What about potted plants?

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 11:03:32 AM »
How was Crean able to get Jim Harbaugh to address his team at halftime? Does he have some relationship with Harbaugh?

Crean is married to Harbaugh's sister.  And that was a horrible game to watch.  James Naismith would be dissappointed. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

Crean married Jim & John's sister Joanie(?).  He's their brother-in-law.

feedback