collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: LeBron wants all players to surrender 23  (Read 9621 times)

15th and Kil

• Walk-On
LeBron wants all players to surrender 23
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »
Since Matthews wears no. 23, I felt this story had relevance for this board.  What's everyone's opinions?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4650907

"Saying he is willing to initiate the movement, LeBron James would like to see any NBA player who wears No. 23 to choose another number as homage to Michael Jordan.

With Jordan looking on from a third-row seat Thursday night, James scored 34 points to help the Cleveland Cavaliers beat the Heat 111-104 in Miami. Afterward, the reigning MVP told TNT he plans to switch his number from 23 to 6 after this season.

"I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized some way soon," James said. "There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade if there wasn't Michael Jordan first.

"He can't get the logo [Hall of Famer Jerry West's silhouette adorns the NBA's logo], and if he can't, something has to be done. I feel like no NBA player should wear 23. I'm starting a petition, and I've got to get everyone in the NBA to sign it. Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it."

Players changing jersey numbers, at least during this decade, are not unprecedented. James briefly switched to No. 45 a few years ago before going back to No. 23. Bryant, whose No. 24 is among the league's biggest sellers, switched from No. 8 a few seasons ago.

"If you see 23, you think about Michael Jordan," James said, according to The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer. "You see game-winning shots, you think about Michael Jordan; you see guys fly through the air, you think about Michael Jordan; you see fly kicks, you think about Michael Jordan. He did so much, it has to be recognized, and not just by putting him in the Hall of Fame."

According to NBA rules, James has until March 5 to send a formal request to the league office to change his jersey number. That request, though, would be pertinent only if James re-signs with his hometown Cavs this summer. James is free to pick any available number if he signs with a new team for next season.

James wore No. 6 as a member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic team at the Beijing Games. According to The Plain Dealer, he's also worn the number in Cavs practices in the past two years.

"My second-favorite player was Julius Erving, and he wore No. 6," James said, according to the newspaper. "I wore 32 in high school because Dr. J wore it at first. My first child was born on Oct. 6, it's my Olympic number, my second child was born in June."

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: LeBron wants all players to surrender 23
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:52:11 PM »
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooper baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:10:54 PM »
i heard they were just going to take the number 23 out of the numeric system.  it will just go 19, 20, 21, 22, Jordan, 24 . . .
Original member of the "Dean's List"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »
Did Jordan die or something? It's stupid, just dumb.
Of course, there is a simple answer. Just retire his jersey, not the number.
Where have I heard of that being done before? I'll be right there George as soon as I'm finished typing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »
Considering all of his gear has LJ23 on it I have a feeling he's doing it to sell new gear and jerseys.  But hey when you can't win a championship, you might as well be known as the guy who helped get MJ's number retired.

When numbers are retired, those who already have the number are generally grandfathered in.  Examples are Mariano Rivera's 42 for Jackie Robinsin and Ryan Amoroso for Maurice Lucas.  Wes should be fine.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
"If you see 23, you think about Michael Jordan," James said, according to The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer.

IMO, this says it all.  When I see a guy with #23 I think "he's got Jordan's number" and I'm reminded of Jordan.  If there's no #23s, there's no constant reminders of MJ.  So from my perspective as a fan, Lebron's idea causes the opposite effect of what he's intending.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
IMO, this says it all.  When I see a guy with #23 I think "he's got Jordan's number" and I'm reminded of Jordan.  If there's no #23s, there's no constant reminders of MJ.  So from my perspective as a fan, Lebron's idea causes the opposite effect of what he's intending.

This is a bit of a generational thing.  As sad as it is for me to say, when my son sees No. 23, he thinks of LeBron.  We do live in Cleveland, though, so that might make our experience a bit unique.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
This little bit of nonsense started with MLB retiring Jackie Robinson's #42...which I can kind of understand.

But the NHL retiring #99 league wide was just stupid.

This would even be worse.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »
This little bit of nonsense started with MLB retiring Jackie Robinson's #42...which I can kind of understand.

But the NHL retiring #99 league wide was just stupid.

This would even be worse.

I thought I heard one of the announcers on last night's Cleveland/Miami game say that all leagues should consider retiring No. 23 in honor of MJ.  I really hope I mis-heard that.  I think it's ridiculous for the NBA; it would really be silly for other professional leagues to follow suit.

If LeBron wants to change his number, that's fine with me.  But you won't convince me that it's not aimed at increasing jersey sales.  As a Cleveland fan, I'm hoping this is a sign that he's planning to stay (because he'll sell millions of jerseys once he leaves no matter what his number is).  I know, I know...wishful thinking and reading way too much into the situation.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »
Maybe you are not reading too much into it StillAWarrior.  If he were to go to another team next year, he would not have to petition the league for a number change, he could simply take any available number.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
It's fantastic that LeBron wants to do right by MJ and no longer wear 23...and instead wear 6.

Hmmmm, any good 6's?

Hey LeBron you ever heard of Bill F'n Russell?  He won twice as much as your boy MJ.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »
i heard they were just going to take the number 23 out of the numeric system.  it will just go 19, 20, 21, 22, Jordan, 24 . . .

Funniest comment around here in a while.  I like the idea of a married couple proudly announcing it is their Jordan Anniversary.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
Funniest comment around here in a while.  I like the idea of a married couple proudly announcing it is their Jordan Anniversary.

I turned 23 less than a month ago, and I kept telling everyone I was turning Michael Jordan.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooper baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

I totally laughed out loud at this.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
LeBron is just paving the way for #32 to be permanently retired from the NBA...... ;)

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
I am from Cleveland, so I absolutely love LeBron, but this doesn't really make sense to me even.  If he wants to change his number to 6 that's fine who cares?!  But to petition the whole league to retire #23 and such is a bit over the top.

Can't wait until my Cavaliers arrive back in Milwaukee though on Dec. 6th!!!! Coming to drop another 55 pts for LBJ, but more importantly get a division win!!! Last year was awesome!!!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
I guess he's upset Wesley Matthews is going to be the next iconic #23 and make people forget about MJ.

Yes. That's not in teal. ;)
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 07:42:32 PM »
Does Buycks have to give up his number too?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 09:57:41 PM »
I get the Jackie Robinson retired number.  Broke the color barrier, class individual, etc.

Jordan...yeah, great player but to put his character up against Jackie Robinson is an insult.

No way should 23 be retired.  The worship syndrome has got to stop with this guy.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
So nice James wants to honor Stan Musial.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 12:42:29 AM »
my schlong is jordan inches !   8-)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 02:14:22 AM »
I was watching ESPN at the bar tonight after the game.  They have the whole social media/twitter/text feed thing going on.  The jist of one of the posts that they discussed:

"With Wade's dunk it should be LeBron wearing #3 and Wade wearing #23"

Whether or not Wade should be compared to Jordan or not that comment definitely put a smile on my face :)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
If they should retire any number, it should be Wilt's.
No one's going to touch his record.

And it's not the 100 point one... ;)
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 09:11:34 AM »
I actually think the Miami Heat already retired #23 for Jordan.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
CHICO'S IS RIGHT . JORDAN'S CHARACTER  PRECLUDES THIS HONOR. HE ACTUALLY WAS A TYPICAL NBA PLAYER OFF THE COURT.HE WAS SPECIAL ON THE COURT BUT NOTHING LIKE IT ONCE HE WAS OUT OF THE LOCKER ROOM, JUST NOT REPORTED

feedback