[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North Intelligent, Civilized Discussion 09/10 season  (Read 98504 times)

GOMU1104

• All American
NFC North Intelligent, Civilized Discussion 09/10 season
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:52:15 AM »
The last one got locked, lets keep this one clean...

Week 5 Notes:

-MIN takes care of business. If anyone was expecting a letdown, they were just grasping at straws. STL is very bad.  MIN has two tough games in the next 2 weeks, leading up to a rematch with GB in Lambeau Field.

-DET plays PIT tough, but cant get the W.

-GB and CHI both had byes. GB needed to get healthy and get things figured out. Tauscher could sign today, using games vs. DET and @ CLE as his "preseason."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:53:46 PM by spiral97 »

LON

• All American
Re: NFC North Intelligent, Civilized Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »
Jared Allen is an absolute freak, I can't stand him, but man can that guy play.

All in all, pretty boring slate of games once the Lions took 3 sacks when threatening to score at the end.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
Anybody else think Pittsburgh is a tad overrated?  I realize Polomalu is hurt, but they have wins over the Titans, Lions, and Chargers and all 3 were a lot closer than they should have been.  I just don't think they will beat MN at the dome, as much as I would like them to.

I might need to start finding a way to hedge some of my Vikings related bets otherwise January will be an expensive month.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »
Anybody else think Pittsburgh is a tad overrated?  I realize Polomalu is hurt, but they have wins over the Titans, Lions, and Chargers and all 3 were a lot closer than they should have been.  I just don't think they will beat MN at the dome, as much as I would like them to.

I might need to start finding a way to hedge some of my Vikings related bets otherwise January will be an expensive month.

The stealer game is in PITT, and I think that will be MN's first loss. I think the second loss could come in GB, but we will see how the Pack addresses the offensive line issues.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:48:57 AM »
The Vikes looked good again.

Running game was somewhat limited, but teams are still selling out to stop the run, which basically leaves 2 WR and 1 TE vs 1 safety and 2 CBs. So far, Favre has sliced and diced this type of defense, and I think that is all the Vikes were hoping for.

I would call it an "opportunistic" gameplan for a QB. If a defense is going to give the Vikes a chance to run the football against 7 players, they will do that. If a team brings 8, the Vikes want Favre to make a good play. He doesn't have to make 20 plays per game. Realistically, he has to make 5-6 good/great plays per game and they are going to be in every game.

One Concern:

Favre is obviously durable, but 40 years old and coming off of surgery makes his durability suspect. Hopefully the Vikes can keep his throws per game down, and keep him fresh for longer.

Green Bay:
IF (big IF) they can improve the offensive line, and if they can commit to the run, I think they will improve greatly.

I think MN could have 2 losses after the PITT and GB games, which would give the Pack a great shot and coming back in the division.

Chicago:
I just haven't watched enough of bears to evaluate. I do know that Culter has been pretty sharp after a rough week 1, so they should be able to compete all season.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:40 AM »
The stealer game is in PITT, and I think that will be MN's first loss. I think the second loss could come in GB, but we will see how the Pack addresses the offensive line issues.

My bad. Still think MN wins that game. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »

My bad. Still think MN wins that game. 

You're more optimistic than I am.

Pass protection for the Vikes seems to be getting better, but I'm still not 100% confident that they can pick up all of the bitz packages that Pitt will come with.

On defense, Big Ben extends plays better than anybody, so the key is to get pressure from 2 lineman, not just one that ben can shrug off and run away from.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 10:52:03 AM »
Packers announce the signing of Tauscher.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/64002592.html

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
Packers announce the signing of Tauscher.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/64002592.html

Now how soon will he be ready to play?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
My guess is that they use these next two games as his "preseason," in the hopes he can go full speed in 3 weeks.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »
You're more optimistic than I am.

False, pessimistic.  I am a Bears fan and want the Vikings to lose this game.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:20:01 AM »
I think Tauscher will overtake the starting spot following the Lions game.  There's not much to catch up on in the offense, so if he's physically able, I see no reason why he won't start soon. 

Wow, are the Rams bad.

Credit to the Vikings for being opportunistic and doing what you need to do to a bad team, but they sure are woeful.  If I remember correctly, the first two turnovers weren't even "forced" by the Vikings.  On the Allen TD, Boller pump faked and apparently spooked himself into a fumble, and on the second down by the goal line, Jackson never actually possessed the ball during the exchange.

Re: LancesOtherNut, do you just mean a boring slate of games for the early bunch? If so, I agree, but I thought Denver-New England was awesome. That Wild Horses formation that McDaniels unveiled is pretty innovative.  And guess what, that team is good.

Re: MU_B2002... if the Steelers have weak wins vs. the Titans, Lions and Chargers (without their best player), then the same has to be said for the Vikings in three of theirs against three of the bottom five, and now including a last minute win against a Goreless 49ers team that apparently wasn't as good as their record indicated.  But where it counts is in the W column, and if you can keep putting tally marks there, no one is gonna care how you got them.

PS... I like this thread a lot better than the other one.  Let's keep it this way.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
My guess is that they use these next two games as his "preseason," in the hopes he can go full speed in 3 weeks.

This isn't intelligent. It belongs in another thread.

;)

Tausch might be ok, but I have to wonder why no other team took a flyer on him earlier and let him rehab his injury.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »
I think Tauscher will overtake the starting spot following the Lions game.  There's not much to catch up on in the offense, so if he's physically able, I see no reason why he won't start soon. 

Wow, are the Rams bad.

Credit to the Vikings for being opportunistic and doing what you need to do to a bad team, but they sure are woeful.  If I remember correctly, the first two turnovers weren't even "forced" by the Vikings.  On the Allen TD, Boller pump faked and apparently spooked himself into a fumble, and on the second down by the goal line, Jackson never actually possessed the ball during the exchange.

Re: LancesOtherNut, do you just mean a boring slate of games for the early bunch? If so, I agree, but I thought Denver-New England was awesome. That Wild Horses formation that McDaniels unveiled is pretty innovative.  And guess what, that team is good.

Re: MU_B2002... if the Steelers have weak wins vs. the Titans, Lions and Chargers (without their best player), then the same has to be said for the Vikings in three of theirs against three of the bottom five, and now including a last minute win against a Goreless 49ers team that apparently wasn't as good as their record indicated.  But where it counts is in the W column, and if you can keep putting tally marks there, no one is gonna care how you got them.

PS... I like this thread a lot better than the other one.  Let's keep it this way.

Any comments on the Raven game? Do you still like them to beat the Vikes in the Dome?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »

;)

Tausch might be ok, but I have to wonder why no other team took a flyer on him earlier and let him rehab his injury.

He worked out for Kansas City.  I am willing to bet there was an understanding between GB and Tausch that he would be signed when the time was right.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »

;)

Tauscher has said multiple times that he wanted to finish it out his career in Green Bay. He's a Wisconsin native (Sun Prairie, I believe?) and really had no intention at his age of starting a new career some place else.  He's been in contact with Packers brass the entire time, and it was probably smart from the Packers perspective to not have him hold a valuable roster spot all the way through came and the first four weeks, and to allow Tauscher to rehab at his own pace.

He did give a token visit to Kansas City (another moderately close by team) but a lot of people, including Andrew Brandt at National Football Post, think it was just to give Tauscher a bit of leverage in case the Packers decided to jerk him around on a contract.  They didn't, and it seems like the two are back together as was the plan early last off season.

Also, I have a curious question that sort of relates back to something someone mentioned in the last thread, and a few times in here.  I see a lot of "Steelers are overrated, I know Polamalu is out but.." like it's just an afterthought.  If, say, Peterson went out for extended period of time, wouldn't wins be much harder to come by during his absence?  Not only is it just a loss of a starter, but it fundamentally changes what you can do on that side of the ball and changes the way defenses approach you. The same can be said for Polamalu.  I'm just shocked that people talk about Polamalu's absence as an afterthought when he belongs in the discussion as the best defensive player in the NFL.  I don't know how many of you guys watched the Steelers extensively dating back to last season, but the way LeBeau calls games with Polamalu in the lineup and with him out is like night and day.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »
Any comments on the Raven game? Do you still like them to beat the Vikes in the Dome?

I made the bet, so now I have to stand by it even if that's the one I'm shaky on.  ;)

Flacco is growing into his role as a franchise QB, they have two guys capable of carrying the load in the running game, and a veteran go-to receiver.  They also have an aggressive, veteran-laden, opportunistic defense.  However, they "aggressive'd" themselves into two late personal foul penalties and let the Bengals steal one from right under their nose yesterday.   I'll say this, it should be a good match up and the toughest one the Vikings have seen yet.  My realization on that bet is that a lot more has to go right for me than it does for you.

By the way, apparently Cedric Benson is having a coming out party, and the Bengals with a healthy Palmer are a lot more solid than anyone really gave them credit for.  Who knew.

LON

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »

Wow, are the Rams bad.

Yeah the New England/Denver game did not disappoint, I was referring to the two noon games (DET/PITT and MIN/STL)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »
I made the bet, so now I have to stand by it even if that's the one I'm shaky on.  ;)

Flacco is growing into his role as a franchise QB, they have two guys capable of carrying the load in the running game, and a veteran go-to receiver.  They also have an aggressive, veteran-laden, opportunistic defense.  However, they "aggressive'd" themselves into two late personal foul penalties and let the Bengals steal one from right under their nose yesterday.   I'll say this, it should be a good match up and the toughest one the Vikings have seen yet.  My realization on that bet is that a lot more has to go right for me than it does for you.

By the way, apparently Cedric Benson is having a coming out party, and the Bengals with a healthy Palmer are a lot more solid than anyone really gave them credit for.  Who knew.

I don't really care about the bet at all actually. We can call it off, or change the wager to non-$ related prizes.

When I saw your original post, I just think your anti-Vikings slant was skewing your vision. While I agree that the Vikes haven't beaten the NFL's best teams, the same case could be made for the Ravens, who you seemed very confident in. Is this because you just don't like the Vikings?

I don't think the Packers are as bad as their performance on Monday night, and I don't think the Vikes are quite that good. However, let's not pretend that 5-0 with 3 road wins isn't a great start, regardless of the competition.

It seems like every week you guys are saying, "yea but wait for...".

They are eventually going to lose, so keep picking against them I guess... but that still doesn't mean they aren't a pretty good team right now, and will still be a pretty good team when they are 6-2 (losses to PITT and GB).

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »
I have to admit snickering while watching Kyle Orton drive the Broncos to another victory and looking at the score crawler and seeing that Cedric Benson ran for another 120 yards.

Things like those make Chicago sports radio fun to listen to.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 12:13:40 PM »
 PXILibero2, on the Steelers.
Trust me I do not discount the importance of Troy, and I know he is a key part of what they are able to do on defense.  I just feel like they are a little overhyped.  Maybe it's due to the fact that I am sick of seeing them in the playoffs and winning the superbowl.  Lombardi envy I guess.

And I am happy for Orton in Denver and Cedric in Cinci.  But I do not disagree with anything the Bears have done involving those 2 players.  Except for releasing T Jones and keeping Benson.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »
I don't really care about the bet at all actually. We can call it off, or change the wager to non-$ related prizes.

When I saw your original post, I just think your anti-Vikings slant was skewing your vision. While I agree that the Vikes haven't beaten the NFL's best teams, the same case could be made for the Ravens, who you seemed very confident in. Is this because you just don't like the Vikings?

I don't think the Packers are as bad as their performance on Monday night, and I don't think the Vikes are quite that good. However, let's not pretend that 5-0 with 3 road wins isn't a great start, regardless of the competition.

It seems like every week you guys are saying, "yea but wait for...".

They are eventually going to lose, so keep picking against them I guess... but that still doesn't mean they aren't a pretty good team right now, and will still be a pretty good team when they are 6-2 (losses to PITT and GB).

I'll give you the call on that.  I'm fine for calling it off, but I was the one who agreed to it, so I'll give you the right to not allow that.

5-0 is 5-0.  There's no way around it.  But a lot needs to go right for the Vikes to keep up this kind of production.  Health is number one. Childress remaining competent is number two. Keeping Favre's pitch count down is three.  Favre's been in MVP talks through the first half of each of the last three seasons, and even had 10 TD/5INT in 2006 before finishing with 18/18.  In 07, he was on his way to an even more monstrous season, but really faded with 6 TD/7INT down the stretch over the last five games.

Childress has done a decent job keeping Favre's pitch count down (below 30 in each of the three cupcake games so far), but other than Detroit once more and perhaps Carolina week 15, the cupcakes are quickly coming to an end and he'll need to find a way to keep Favre's arm under wraps or the same thing will happen.  After four straight years of fading at the end, it's officially a trend.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
Except for releasing T Jones and keeping Benson.

Well they did trade Jones for a second round pick.

EDIT:  Still a bad move in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:24:59 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: NFC North Intelligent, Civilized Discussion 09/10 season
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
Modified thread title to be specific to this season.  Let's start a new one every season so it doesn't get too long.  Back to the regularly scheduled topic.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
I'll give you the call on that.  I'm fine for calling it off, but I was the one who agreed to it, so I'll give you the right to not allow that.

5-0 is 5-0.  There's no way around it.  But a lot needs to go right for the Vikes to keep up this kind of production.  Health is number one. Childress remaining competent is number two. Keeping Favre's pitch count down is three.  Favre's been in MVP talks through the first half of each of the last three seasons, and even had 10 TD/5INT in 2006 before finishing with 18/18.  In 07, he was on his way to an even more monstrous season, but really faded with 6 TD/7INT down the stretch over the last five games.

Childress has done a decent job keeping Favre's pitch count down (below 30 in each of the three cupcake games so far), but other than Detroit once more and perhaps Carolina week 15, the cupcakes are quickly coming to an end and he'll need to find a way to keep Favre's arm under wraps or the same thing will happen.  After four straight years of fading at the end, it's officially a trend.

The bet is still on then.

Also, with all do respect, the last 1/2 of your post is more of the Packer fans "yea, but" rants.

I know the trends, and I agree that it is a concern. But, you guys keep trotting all of that stuff out here every week. Why? What are you trying to prove?

Here is what I've heard:

The vikes are good, but:
- Favre won't last, he's too old
- Favre fades in big games
- Favre will blow up against the packers
- The vikes schedule is soft
- The Vikes will have 2 losses headed to GB

I'm not denying some of the stuff you guys are saying, but you can't type it fast enough every time somebody says something positive about the Vikings.

When is it ok to call the Vikings a good team?