[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North Pissing Match  (Read 114230 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
NFC North Pissing Match
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
With baseball season all but over for most of us, I think its time...

As a Packer fan I am cautiously optimistic. I think they might actually be pretty good. Obviously it will take Viking fans several weeks to realize what a mistake the Favre signing was, and Bear fans don't know what to do now that they actually seem to have a real QB in town. Should be a fun season...perhaps going all the way to week 17 before anything is decided.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:23:30 PM by NavinRJohnson »

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: NFC Central Pissing Match
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:49:41 PM »
I like the Packer's depth, and their adjustment to the 3-4 looks to be going well. Dom Capers has a proven track record of improving defenses in his 1st year as DC. The Vikings and Bears both have significant question marks, while the packers look solid all around.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
Best by position:

QB: Packers
RBs: Vikings
WRs: Packers
TEs: Bears (but Packers are closer than many realize. Finley is legit.)
O-Line: Bears (probably)

D-Line: Vikings (without suspensions)
LBs: Bears
Secondary: Packers

Special Teams: Bears

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »
With baseball season all but over for most of us, I think its time...

As a Packer fan I am cautiously optimistic. I think they might actually be pretty good. Obviously it will take Viking fans several weeks to realize what a mistake the Favre signing was, and Bear fans don't know what to do now that they actually seem to have a real QB in town. Should be a fun season...perhaps going all the way to week 17 before anything is decided.

Bears have a real QB in town?  Hadn't heard that.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
I like the Packer's depth, and their adjustment to the 3-4 looks to be going well. Dom Capers has a proven track record of improving defenses in his 1st year as DC. The Vikings and Bears both have significant question marks, while the packers look solid all around.

Not a Packers fan are you by chance? As most analysts have the Pack at #3 in the North with MN at the top.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:06:10 PM »
The Lions win a game this year!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
  Vikings actually play in the NFC North.  As we know, the consensus pick to win the division is Minnesota.  I think the question is how long it takes.  Minnesota starts off with a couple of road games that are winnable (Cleveland and Detroit), then we head home for the 49ers and GB (again, very winnable games).  If we stumble out of the gate, things could get interesting.  But, if we get through the first four at 4-0 and 3-1, I feel great about wrapping this thing up early.  

People think the Bears have the best o-line?  Crazy.  If Loadholt holds his weight and Sullivan is servicable at center, we are golden.  Not many people talk about AD being injury prone anymore like they did when he came into the league, but the possibility of an injury to him scares me probably more than anything else.    

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
The Packers definitely have questions. I don't think any fan should be sitting comfy with Ryan Grant. While the 3-4 is hopefully a good implementation, we are still in preseason and very little should be taken from the results.

The Bears also have a lot of questions. Aging defensive (secondary especially), no #1 wide receiver, will Forte last or was he a fluke last year, plenty to go around.

The Vikings return the best RB in the league, but still have no QB. Receiver options are better than the Bears, but not as good as the Packers.

It's a tough call, no team will set the division on fire. I have to think the Vikings are the favorites, but it would be an easy one to bet against. There's a lot of talk about the Bears, but I think they have the most severe questions. The Packers have better depth, but I wouldn't trust the 3-4 quite yet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
In all seriousness, it may end up looking like the AL Central.   First one to 9 wins takes the division.    The top 3 teams are relatively even.   If the retiring diva gets hot and stays healthy, and the Vikes can get past their d-line suspensions, they are probably marginal favorites.   If Cutler really does walk on water in Chicago, da Bears can do it.   But as in most years, the team with the least injuries and most karma probably wins this division.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »

As most analysts have the Pack at #3 in the North with MN at the top.

Kinda like last year, when many predicted teh Packers at the top of the divsion? How'd that turn out? When you factor in everything...changes, additions, subtractions, schedule, etc., the Packers look like they could surprise. Best offense in the division along with what looks to be a much  improved defense. They suffered many injuries and several close losses last season.

That said, the top 3 spots will probably be separated by just a game or two.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
 Vikings actually play in the NFC North.  As we know, the consensus pick to win the division is Minnesota.  I think the question is how long it takes.  Minnesota starts off with a couple of road games that are winnable (Cleveland and Detroit), then we head home for the 49ers and GB (again, very winnable games).  If we stumble out of the gate, things could get interesting.  But, if we get through the first four at 4-0 and 3-1, I feel great about wrapping this thing up early.  

People think the Bears have the best o-line?  Crazy.  If Loadholt holds his weight and Sullivan is servicable at center, we are golden.  Not many people talk about AD being injury prone anymore like they did when he came into the league, but the possibility of an injury to him scares me probably more than anything else.    

Who is "we"....do you play for the Vikings?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »
Grabbed a couple magazines in the last week.

Athlons had 1. Chi 2. GB 3. Minn
The Joint Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly had 1. Chi 2. Minn 3. GB

Clearly, despite what one chump here seems to think there is no consensus as to the division winner.  Of course, these predictions were made before the Vikes switched (some of their players think downgraded) from Jackson to Favre.  Clearly, this looks like a very exciting race this year, but the NFL is so unpredictable I also wouldn't be surprised to see one team run away with it.

I was at the GB exhibition game last week and they look pretty good.  The offense will almost assuredly be very explosive as long as Rodgers stays upright.  In addition, the o-line definitely looks to be improving.  The D has looked good so far but they have played a couple of pretty feeble offenses and the preseason doesn't count for jack.

MilTown

• Team Captain
Re: NFC North Pissing Match
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 02:19:36 PM »
It's anyones division to win, well except for Detroit! They do have a chance to win a game this year. I think the Bears, Vikes, and Packers all have a chance to end up in the 9-7 / 10-6 range, if a few bounces go their way, maybe 11-5. It doesn't hurt that we draw the NFC west this year. I'm a Bears fan, so obviously I want them to end up on top, but if I had to pick a division winner right now, I'm going with the Vikings. I'm not exactly sure why, but I just think they will come out on top.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »
In terms of schedule...all 3 teams play the same 14 teams, its the extra 2 where the Packers may have an advantage.

GBP - @ TB, vs. DAL
MIN -  @ CAR, vs. NYG
CHI - @ ATL, vs. PHI

All teams play the entire NFCW and AFCN.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »
I was at the GB exhibition game last week and they look pretty good.  The offense will almost assuredly be very explosive as long as Rodgers stays upright.  In addition, the o-line definitely looks to be improving.  The D has looked good so far but they have played a couple of pretty feeble offenses and the preseason doesn't count for jack.

We'll see how the Packer's D holds up against Zona this Friday.  It should be the first real test they've had thus far.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I like Green Bay to win the north and I"m far from a Packer fan.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »
Hate to give a cliche answer... but these teams are all pretty close and injuries really could be the deciding factor.

The team that has their best players playing the most amount of downs will probably win the division (a little madden-esque, but you get the idea).

None of these teams are good enough to survive an serious injury to a key starter (top 3 players on either side of the ball)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
Hate to give a cliche answer... but these teams are all pretty close and injuries really could be the deciding factor.

The team that has their best players playing the most amount of downs will probably win the division (a little madden-esque, but you get the idea).

None of these teams are good enough to survive an serious injury to a key starter (top 3 players on either side of the ball)

So your vote is for a 3 way tie, that way no one's feelings are hurt by having to lose?  ;)

I say Chicago and MN tie, but Chicago wins on Tie breaker rule #6 (strength of schedule) due to the Atlanta/Philly games. 

Is that a homer pick?  Yes.
Do I care? No.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 02:43:12 PM »
Who is "we"....do you play for the Vikings?

No, Kyle, I don't play for the Vikings.  Is using 'we' really that upsetting to you?  You have used 'we' when discussing Marquette basketball dozens of time on this site - do you play for the Marquette's men basketball team?  

jmayer1: "Grabbed a couple magazines in the last week.
Clearly, despite what one chump here seems to think there is no consensus as to the division winner. "

Oh, so some predictions that were made pre-Favre?  Big deal.  Go look at this Athlon article and tell me they would still put Minnesota at #3.  

http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/17463/nfl-favre-in-position-to-succeed-with-vikings

"Cutler doesn’t have the defense behind him that Favre does. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers doesn’t, either, and his running game is questionable. Favre, in Minnesota, has everything a quarterback could need.

So forget about his legacy, his constant indecision about retirement, and the fact that he went only 1-for-4 in his first preseason action. The Vikings were strong contenders to represent the up-for-grabs NFC at the Super Bowl even before Favre arrived. There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that they’re even stronger contenders now."

Serious question, I'm ignorant here: What does the backup RB situation look like in Green Bay this year?    
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
Serious question, I'm ignorant here: What does the backup RB situation look like in Green Bay this year?    

In my opinion...maybe better than the starting RB situation.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »
I'm ignorant...  

Good of you to finally admit it.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
 No, Kyle, I don't play for the Vikings.  Is using 'we' really that upsetting to you?  You have used 'we' when discussing Marquette basketball dozens of time on this site - do you play for the Marquette's men basketball team?  

I dont want to hijack the thread, so I think it may be deserving of another one, but using the "we" term really bothers me.  As discussed on "Mike and Mike in the Morning" a while back...you can use "we" for your alma mater, but not if you are simply a fan of the team.  

As for the Packers' RB situation... Grant, Brandon Jackson, Sutton/Wynn/Lumpkin.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
So your vote is for a 3 way tie, that way no one's feelings are hurt by having to lose?  ;)

Do I care? No.

Well, I'll say MN, because if their players stay healthy, they probably have the most upside.

The bears defense feels like it's 2 years past their prime (although maybe some of the younger guys can come in and surprise) The Packers don't have the most talent, but they have pretty good depth, so I'd say they as 2nd in the division.

Vikes 11-5
Pack 10-6
Bears 8-8

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
jmayer1: "Grabbed a couple magazines in the last week.
Clearly, despite what one chump here seems to think there is no consensus as to the division winner. "

Oh, so some predictions that were made pre-Favre?  Big deal.  Go look at this Athlon article and tell me they would still put Minnesota at #3.  

http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/17463/nfl-favre-in-position-to-succeed-with-vikings

Haha, you're quoting one article written by one of the many writers at Athlon to say that they would now put Minny at #1.  Maybe they would but there's no way to say for sure based on what 1 guy wrote. I guess I can use these two articles to say that SI won't have them as favorites to win the division then (I think Zimmerman's were usually the picks in the magazine, not sure what they'll do now):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/08/19/favre/index.html
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/18/favre/index.html

You sure are dense.  Do you even know the meaning of consensus?  I guess not!!

As for my prediction, right now based on my homer feeling I'd put them like this:
1. Pack
2. Bears
3. Vikes

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »
I'm a homer but I think if the Bears aging defense shores itself up a bit they could eek out a division title.

1. Bears (10-6)
2. Pack  (9-7)
3. Vikes (9-7)