[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: M Club dinner  (Read 14148 times)

g0ldmember42

• Starter
M Club dinner
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:12:07 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how many people are planning on going to the BC on Saturday night? My wife and I will be headed down there and as this is our first time going to a dinner like this wanted to ask the MUScoop masses about 2 things.

1. I'm guessing we wouldn't look out of place in formal (suit/tie, summer/cocktail dress) attire.

2. Is this the sort of event where people mob some of the bigger stars for autographs and photo opportunities or do they keep them pretty far away from those of us who have the $75/head tickets?

Either way, we are really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the help and Happy Friday everyone!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: M Club dinner
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:26:38 AM »
I sincerely hope that those in attendance boo Tom Crean out of the building. This is a guy who was showing up to Little League games in Indiana attire just days after giving Father Wild and Marquette the finger. I think it's in poor taste that he even show up. A 10 year reunion is one thing...5 years, and just a couple after taking a dump on the sidewalk in front of Marquette Hall is another.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:48:17 AM »
I was wondering the same thing on attire.  I know the Basketball Banquets are shirt and tie events.  I was thinking this would be the same?

As for Crean,  yes he is a douchebag but the event is to honor the 2003 team and what it did for Marquette.  You can't not honor Crean.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »
I hope we have more class than to boo him out of the building.  No one has to clap though.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
In 2013, if the Cubs decide honor the 10th anniversary of the 2003 team, do you think Sosa will be booed? I do. He did a lot for the Cubs in 2003 and prior.

But he will be booed because, upon leaving town, it was revealed that he lacked much of the character his fans thought he had.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
I sincerely hope that those in attendance boo Tom Crean out of the building. This is a guy who was showing up to Little League games in Indiana attire just days after giving Father Wild and Marquette the finger. I think it's in poor taste that he even show up. A 10 year reunion is one thing...5 years, and just a couple after taking a dump on the sidewalk in front of Marquette Hall is another.
MY, my.temper, temper Mr. PR.  Your man-love for TC is so apparent. :o

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »
Remember how often Al McGuire came back to Marquette after 1977?

Oh yeah, he didn't. Wouldn't even attend public reunions, other than through videos.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:10:12 AM »

Oh yeah, he didn't. Wouldn't even attend public reunions, other than through videos.

I was @ MU from 78-82 and Al came around a lot. 

He did speeches at the Varsity Theatre, Pep rallies before DePaul and ND games in BMU.  Later on he MC'd Reunions at the BC, and was funnier than hell at all of these.  Al was a very private man, but he showed up as much as you would expect.

PRN, you are either a liar or totally ignorant, or didn't go to MU. 

A douchebag none the less.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »

Bwahaha, owned.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 10:30:37 AM »
Confirmed attendees:

Jim   Allen   Award Recipient
Karon   Bradley   Award Recipient
Joseph   Chapman   Award Recipient
Bill   Cords   Award Recipient
Tom   Crean   Award Recipient
Travis   Diener   Award Recipient
Anthony   Gries   Award Recipient
Christopher   Grimm   Award Recipient
Leonard   Hardison   Award Recipient
Scott   Holsopple   Award Recipient
Darrin   Horn   Award Recipient
Dan   Idstein   Award Recipient
Robert   Jackson   Award Recipient
Lisa   Kanning   Award Recipient
Bill   Kelly   Award Recipient
Andrew   Klister   Award Recipient
Darin   Maccoux   Award Recipient
Dean   Manglona   Award Recipient
Kate   McGeeney   Award Recipient
Steven   Novak   Award Recipient
Terry   Sanders   Award Recipient
Rell   Schwab   Award Recipient
Jared   Sichting   Award Recipient
Todd   Townsend   Award Recipient
Dwyane   Wade   Award Recipient

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
why isn't tom brice on that list?
Da Bulls

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »
why isn't tom brice on that list?

Tommy Brice didn't join the team until 2005.

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »
the most influential player to date for Marquette basketball = tom brice
Da Bulls

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
I was @ MU from 78-82 and Al came around a lot. 

He did speeches at the Varsity Theatre, Pep rallies before DePaul and ND games in BMU.  Later on he MC'd Reunions at the BC, and was funnier than hell at all of these.  Al was a very private man, but he showed up as much as you would expect.

I attended Marquette from 1987 until 1990. McGuire was not only NEVER around, he stated repeatedly that he intentionally stayed away from Marquette games, including reunions. I have also attended reunions of these players. Al would attend for the private function, but tape messages for the game recognitions. His only appearances at Marquette were for Al's Run.

If he appeared at pep rallies at Marquette in 1978 I would be SHOCKED! I'm not going to call you a liar for claiming this, but there is absolutely no way it's true. Not a chance.

It's either a complete fabrication or you've somehow embedded a non-existant memory in your head.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »
I attended Marquette from 1987 until 1990. McGuire was not only NEVER around, he stated repeatedly that he intentionally stayed away from Marquette games, including reunions. I have also attended reunions of these players. Al would attend for the private function, but tape messages for the game recognitions. His only appearances at Marquette were for Al's Run.

If he appeared at pep rallies at Marquette in 1978 I would be SHOCKED! I'm not going to call you a liar for claiming this, but there is absolutely no way it's true. Not a chance.

It's either a complete fabrication or you've somehow embedded a non-existant memory in your head.

Not even gonna dignify with a refute.  I stand by my original response to your post.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »

Settle down, dude.

If you don't like him, don't go.

If you are there and still don't like him, don't clap.

Tom Crean didn't sleep with your wife and kill your dog, so don't act like he did.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
A quick breeze through "I Remember AL McGuire" reveals this from Bill Cords (page 125):

"Al stayed away from the school, but he kept track of everything."

Cords must be lying about that.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
McGuire was definitely around.  He used to come to the old MU alumni game that they would hold at the MECCA auditorium back in the mid to late 1980s, as well as the old UW vs MU alumni game that they held back then as well. 

I can distinctly remember getting his autograph at a couple of different events, and him being the one to tell us that Jerome Whitehead wasn't coming because he had an NBA game the next day and couldn't arrange his flights to get back in time.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 11:24:46 AM »
I was at MU from 79-80 through 82-83.  I remember Al speaking at a pep rally at the BMU the night before a game (though I couldn't tell you which one, DePaul or ND, I think) where he was doing the national TV broadcast.  I'm pretty sure it was during the 79-80 season, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
A quick breeze through "I Remember AL McGuire" reveals this from Bill Cords (page 125):

"Al stayed away from the school, but he kept track of everything."

Cords must be lying about that.

When was Cords AD you douchebag?

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
Okay you two --

you went to MU separated by 5-8 years--isn't it possible that AL did come around in the time early after his coaching career and then later decided to cut ties?  You guys weren't there at the same time, right?  we could always settle this by maybe calling athletics or something.  I will also ask my folks, they were there the same time as mu-rara.

but the bigger issue here i guess is the dislike of crean being at our function.  it sucks but he *did* coach here and the team *did* get to the Final 4.  i don't know where that leaves us, but those are the facts.  maybe everyone can whisper evil hexes under their breaths and give him the fish-eye if it'll make you feel better.  I don't think it should come as a shock that he's attending, why would he turn down the recognition?  (given his track record, i don't think we should expect the "high" road really)  Take it for what it is and be happy for the other inductees, that's why you're going???

P.S. Did anyone make it to Richards last night for the pep rally? 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
I hope nobody claps and nobody boos.

The silence would be deafening!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »
One of my beefs with how TC ran the place was how, early on especially, he washed out the history of KO & Deane.  He wanted it known MU was great in 77 and from there on in, we sucked.  Except for Doc Rivers (RETIRE IT!!).  Eventually he came around on the 94 team.  They started getting a little more pub. 

This approach always bothered me.  The fact was 2 years before TC was hired we had won a Conf Tourney and played in the NCAAs.  It wasn't exactly siberia, though with the help of Greg Clausen you may have been able to see it from there.

So, just as I wanted more respect for KO & Deane, I say we should equally honor TC.  He 100% built & coached the FF team.  Having him absent would be an insult to our memories.  Regardless of how much of a jag he was and regardless of how much his recruiting and coaching actually regressed as his ego grew out of control.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »

He came back for the retirement of the 77 banner.  I was there for the dinner ceremony after as well. That was 1998 or 99.  He also came around in 1997 for the 20 year reunion of the 77 championship team.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:21:44 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »
He came back for the retirement of the 77 banner.  I was there for the dinner ceremony after as well. That was 1998 or 99.  He also came around in 1997 for the 20 year reunion of the 77 championship team.

Liar.

He would never do that.

feedback